Are you living in a danger zone? Data exposes most reckless driving hotspots in this city

As we navigate the bustling streets of Melbourne, we often take for granted the intricate dance of traffic lights and road signs that keep us safe.

However, a recent surge in traffic violations has cast a spotlight on the city's most perilous suburbs for drivers and pedestrians alike.

The alarming statistics and harrowing footage emerging from these areas serve as a stark reminder of the risks lurking on our roads.

A recent compilation of traffic data has unveiled a list of Melbourne's worst suburbs for speeding and red light offences, painting a concerning picture of road safety in these locales.

The list, which includes Heidelberg, the CBD, Footscray, Sunshine West, Rowville, and Frankston, among others, is a wake-up call for residents and visitors alike.

shutterstock_2505781403.jpg
A compilation of traffic data revealed a list of Melbourne’s worst suburbs for speeding and red light offences. Credit: Shutterstock

In one shocking video, the traffic light glows red, yet a motorist brazenly ignored it, driving straight into the path of oncoming vehicles and narrowly avoiding a collision with pedestrians.

This is not an isolated incident; such scenes are becoming all too common, with drivers treating the rules of the road as mere suggestions rather than life-saving laws.

The term 'traffic light Russian roulette' has been coined to describe the reckless behaviour of drivers who gamble with their lives and the lives of others at intersections.

Police Minister Anthony Carbines expressed his dismay at the situation, stating, 'There's too much disrespect.'

The data revealed a startling trend: a significant portion of the offenders are not local residents.

'That's 88 per cent of non-local Victorians who are getting pinged for speed cameras and speed and red lights across our state,' Carbines disclosed.

‘Wherever you're driving on our roads, it is not enough to just obey the law where you think you know where the cameras are.’

With over 186,000 fines issued across 15 hotspot areas, it's clear that complacency on the road can have dire consequences.

Almost 200 lives have been tragically lost on Victorian roads this year alone, with speed continuing to be a major factor in fatal collisions.

Samantha Cockfield, the Head of Road Safety at the Transport Accident Commission, warned, 'We know that people think travelling a few K over the speed limit is okay. It's not.’

‘Travelling just five kilometres over the speed limit in a 60-kilometre zone actually doubles your crash risk.'
Key Takeaways

• New data has revealed the worst suburbs in Melbourne for speeding and red light offences.
  • Over 186,000 fines were issued across 15 hotspot areas, including Heidelberg, the CBD, Footscray, Sunshine West, Rowville, and Frankston.
  • The Victorian Police Minister, Anthony Carbines, emphasised that drivers should obey the law at all times, not just where they know cameras are located.
  • The Transport Accident Commission's road safety head, Samantha Cockfield, highlighted that even travelling five kilometres over the speed limit in a 60km zone doubles your crash risk.
Have you witnessed reckless driving in your area? How do you ensure your safety on the road? Engage with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well good policing is always the answer to decreasing bad driving behaviours. Cameras do catch people out. Most people keep driving badly and don't know til the fine shows up in the mail. Roadside policing is the only way to combat bad behaviours immediately.

The easiest way to correct bad driving is simply to keep doubling the fines, say $500 1st offence, $1000 second $2000 third $4000 and so on, I'm sure after being caught and realising what future fines will be they will change driving habits.

Reactions: Macarj and Dynamo
How do they get a fourth offence when you have crushed their car. I like the idea , maybe gaol on third offence as well as the crush.
Mmmmmm..........maybe they get another car or drive someone else's.

Reactions: Dynamo
I was recently in Melbourne & the driving scared the hell out of me. From speeding to tailgating & running traffic lights. I hate driving there now.

Reactions: Dynamo
A lot of people don't pay their fines so that is not a deterrent at all. Confiscate the car for an extended period and they have to pay to get it out. That is a double whammy

Drivers regularly speed down the local streets in my area and I think most must have lost their little fingers, so few now signal when they with to turn left or right, leaving people standing at the kerb to have to wait until they have decided which way they wish to turn!

Please leave this as anonymous!

I don't doubt that Rowville is on that list. With Stud Road and Wellington Road crossing the area, they are nothing but straight but hilly thoroughfares, especially Stud Road.

The high proportion of BMW drivers contribute to traffic woes as well. These self entitled twats make you wonder if they come with indicators as an optional extra.

Don't worry! I've seen it first hand, being a former resident of Rowville for a couple of years.

A lot of people don't pay their fines so that is not a deterrent at all. Confiscate the car for an extended period and they have to pay to get it out. That is a double whammy
Exactly if the cars not worth much they don't collect it, need to come up with something else. All you have to do is look how many still drive with suspended licences

I would like this study to be done here in NSW, the stats would shake you up a bit.. My son is in the Vict. Police Force, 8 months after being sworn in he was present at his first 'car crushing.' The offender,owned a relatively new Subaru with all the bells and whistles. It had a lot of 'speed work' done to the engine and a sound system that would rival a lot of Clubs. The offender was a 'very repeat offender for speed offences,' and driving dangerously. His car had been impounded a number of times and he had a number of licence suspensions. He had the attitude that he could use the roads as a 'race-track' and did not fear the Court system. Eventually he fronted a Magistrate who had 'a pair' and the Court ordered his vehicle to be crushed.
The offender and some mates attended the event and my son saw the tears flow as the car was turned into 'a metal cube.' After the event the offender came up to my son with a smile on his face and stated proudly,'well there goes my debt for the loans that I had on the car.' My son, very happily informed the 'idiot' that he would still have to 'pay off the loans' as they 'did not die with the crushing of the car.' As my son walked away the 'idiot and his mates' stood there with the 'idiot' falling to his knees and bursting into tears. My son later found out the 'idiot' had got his money from his parents who had taken out loans in their names and were now liable for the repayments.
I agree with some of the comments already made ie: a substantial fine for first offence, doubled each time for the next two offences, then confiscation of vehicle for a decent period of time, with a cancellation of licence, making them to re-doing their tests and starting on red "P's not being able to rent or borrow another vehicle during the period of cancellation, with severe penalties for anyone who rents or lends the offender a car. I remember years ago the then Premier of NSW was looking into the 'Victorian crushing rules' and was infavour of introducing them into NSW. He lost his job, over a bottle of wine, and the process has never been mentioned again.
The problem with Politicians they want to 'talk hard' however, they are worried about keeping their 'snouts in the public money trough'. Then there are the 'do-gooders', who go to bat for the offenders, they forget about the victims. I don't see any of these 'do-gooders' taking into their houses released rapists, child molesters or domestic violence offenders when they are released on bail or prison. I have seen a lot in my many years 'in the job' and a lot has not changed and won't until Politicans, so-called experts and bean counters', talk to the people on the front line and implement some of their suggestions. Holding up a piece of paper ie: a copy of an AVO, will not stop a person from assaulting or heaven forbid killing a person, which is where we are at and have been for a long time.

I would like this study to be done here in NSW, the stats would shake you up a bit.. My son is in the Vict. Police Force, 8 months after being sworn in he was present at his first 'car crushing.' The offender,owned a relatively new Subaru with all the bells and whistles. It had a lot of 'speed work' done to the engine and a sound system that would rival a lot of Clubs. The offender was a 'very repeat offender for speed offences,' and driving dangerously. His car had been impounded a number of times and he had a number of licence suspensions. He had the attitude that he could use the roads as a 'race-track' and did not fear the Court system. Eventually he fronted a Magistrate who had 'a pair' and the Court ordered his vehicle to be crushed.
The offender and some mates attended the event and my son saw the tears flow as the car was turned into 'a metal cube.' After the event the offender came up to my son with a smile on his face and stated proudly,'well there goes my debt for the loans that I had on the car.' My son, very happily informed the 'idiot' that he would still have to 'pay off the loans' as they 'did not die with the crushing of the car.' As my son walked away the 'idiot and his mates' stood there with the 'idiot' falling to his knees and bursting into tears. My son later found out the 'idiot' had got his money from his parents who had taken out loans in their names and were now liable for the repayments.
I agree with some of the comments already made ie: a substantial fine for first offence, doubled each time for the next two offences, then confiscation of vehicle for a decent period of time, with a cancellation of licence, making them to re-doing their tests and starting on red "P's not being able to rent or borrow another vehicle during the period of cancellation, with severe penalties for anyone who rents or lends the offender a car. I remember years ago the then Premier of NSW was looking into the 'Victorian crushing rules' and was infavour of introducing them into NSW. He lost his job, over a bottle of wine, and the process has never been mentioned again.
The problem with Politicians they want to 'talk hard' however, they are worried about keeping their 'snouts in the public money trough'. Then there are the 'do-gooders', who go to bat for the offenders, they forget about the victims. I don't see any of these 'do-gooders' taking into their houses released rapists, child molesters or domestic violence offenders when they are released on bail or prison. I have seen a lot in my many years 'in the job' and a lot has not changed and won't until Politicans, so-called experts and bean counters', talk to the people on the front line and implement some of their suggestions. Holding up a piece of paper ie: a copy of an AVO, will not stop a person from assaulting or heaven forbid killing a person, which is where we are at and have been for a long time.
I know someone very well who does not own a car but uses a company car, both for business and privately. He has racked up countless infringements on the Eastlink expressway for no E-Tag (or whatever they are called), numerous speeding and red light offences. He subsequently lost his licence but still drives, exhausting his mother's demerit points and not paying any fines.

Does anyone know whether a vehicle registered in a company name is liable to deregistration or crushing by a repeat offender who is an employee of that company?

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
The comments from 'Veggiepatch' are very worrying. If you don't want to do anything about it, you have no right to complain. Think of this, he is a serious offender of the NSW road rules. The company that has provided him with a car and have knowledge of his driving status is criminally liable. They are also criminally liable even if they are not aware of his driving status as they have a responsibility to 'sight, inspect and make prudent enquiries about his licence status on a regular basis and have a record of all company vehicles, who drives them, where located etc. at all times. A lot of these are set out in legal requirement for companies, under Insurance regs. etc. He has also placed him mother criminally liable for making false declarations, which have to be witnesses by a JP. If he is involved in a serious/fatal accident there would be a lot more 'people, including him standing in the dock.' In NSW there are no 'crushing legislation', any vehicle can be 'impounded', in the case of Company vehicles, the Company would have to make an application to the Court for the return of the vehicle. I am familiar with a case many years ago where a young person had his vehicle impounded for street racing in the San Souci area. He then borrowed his father's BMW and again went street racing. He was charged and a further suspension and the vehicle was impounded for 3 months. The father made an application to the Court for the return of the vehicle on hardship grounds. The Magistrate, at that time was a 'real Magistrate', and he stated that the Father was fully aware of his son's repeated actions and total disregard of the road rules and should of 'erred on the side of caustion' about handing over the keys. The Magistrate dismissed the application. I am not 'up to date' on any changes to the deregistration process however, the actions by the person who has 'custody of the vehicle' does reflect on the deregistration process and again the Company owning the vehicle could be drawn into the legal process and face some serious fines under different Acts/Regulation. As for your 'knowledge' of what this person is doing, I would be having a 'talk' with Police and or the Company about this person. I would not like to hear on the News about him 'killing a person/child/ a relative/friend of yours knowing that you did nothing to take this 'selfish idiot' off the roads. SIDELINE INFORMATION: The Station Officer at every Police Station for every Police Officer coming on duty has to have his Drivers' Licence status confirmed before he can commence duty.... this is also covered under varioius Regulations, Acts and Conditions of employment for Companies and Businesses. If I am given a 'courtesy car from my mechanic' he checks my Licence and enters the details of the vehicle, my licence, date, time, place, condition of vehicle and I have to sign the 'use agreement' prior to taking the vehicle. Hope this helps, please, report this person before he kills someone.