Are you heading to the United Kingdom soon? Travellers to apply for additional requirements to get into the UK soon

As the world becomes increasingly digital, so too do the requirements for international travel.

For Australian globetrotters planning a holiday to the United Kingdom (UK), there's an important update you need to be aware of before packing your bags and heading to the airport.

The UK government launched its Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme as part of a broader effort to digitise its border security.

The program should require all visitors not born in the UK or Ireland to apply for permission before setting foot on British soil.

The recently announced changes will be extended to all travellers from non-European countries, including Australia.

compressed-london.jpeg
The Thames River and the Big Ben are some of the notable spots in the United Kingdom. Image Credit: Pexels/David Zherdenovsky

Starting 27 November, Australian visitors should apply for an ETA. However, it will be required for travel from 8 January 2025 onwards.

This gives travellers plenty of time to prepare for the new requirements.

An ETA costs about $20, which already offers multiple entries into the UK.

This allows travellers to stay up to six months at a time over two years or until passport expiry.

This travel scheme has been implemented for travellers from several Middle Eastern countries, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

The UK's Minister for Migration and Citizenship, Seema Malhotra, highlighted the benefits of digitisation.

'Digitisation enables a smooth experience for the millions of people who pass through the border every year,' Ms Malhotra stated.

'This includes the visitors we warmly welcome to the UK who are predicted to contribute over £32 billion ($63 billion) to our tourism economy this year.'

By April 2025, the ETA will also be a necessity for all European visitors as well.

The ETA is a testament to the UK's commitment to enhancing security through technology and modern immigration systems.

For Australians, this means a little extra preparation for their next trip to the UK.

With the promise of security and a smoother travel experience, it's a small step to take for peace of mind and the exciting adventures ahead.
Key Takeaways

• Australian travellers will soon need an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) to enter the UK as part of its digitised border security system.
  • The ETA scheme should require visitors from non-European countries to seek permission before arrival, with applications opening from 27 November.
  • The requirement for an ETA will come into effect for Australian visitors from 8 January 2025, and by April 2025, it will also apply to all European visitors.
  • The ETA costs around $20 and allows multiple journeys to the UK for stays of up to six months at a time over two years.
Do you have plans to visit the UK in the near future? What do you think about this requirement? Share your thoughts and travel stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
An ETA requirement for travel into the UK shouldn’t come as any surprise. I know air travel into Canada has had that for years and I believe it’s also required for travel to USA as well.

It’s always a good idea to check the latest required documents for travel anywhere overseas, (as well as any inoculations that may be needed).

Clamping down on legitimate visitors? They should come in on a boat to the Kent coast, no ETA or anything needed for entry.

• Wow
Reactions: Monks
Your information states "not born in England". the references I read on this topic say "not a British citizen". There is a difference

A child who is born in the UK will NOT automatically be a British citizen. A child will acquire British citizenship by birth if they are born in the UK to a parent who is either a British citizen or who has a form of settled status, such as indefinite leave to remain, at the time of the birth.

When you do not need to apply. You're usually automatically a British citizen if you were both: born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983. born when one of your parents was a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK.

The questions are:
Does acquiring Australian Citizenship affect this status?
Also, how does it affect those born BEFORE 1983 to a British citizen, or otherwise?

I've answered one question:

You were born before 1983​

You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983, unless:
  • your father was a diplomat working for a non-UK country
  • your father was ‘an enemy alien in occupation’ and you were born in the Channel Islands during World War 2
Dual Citizenship: This reference appears to answer the other question.

Last edited:
I guess I don't have to apply for ETA I was born there, came out to Australia as a 3 and half year old

$20.00 for each visitor by X amount of visitors adds up to a lot of money for the UK another way to make money like going to baili and some of the islands where you have to pay as well they call it an entry visa but at the end of the day it is money that adds up

$20.00 for each visitor by X amount of visitors adds up to a lot of money for the UK another way to make money like going to baili and some of the islands where you have to pay as well they call it an entry visa but at the end of the day it is money that adds up
With some countries it’s been happening for many years. I don’t know just how many countries have imposed this money grabbing system, but I’d say there are many and more to come.

Reactions: Monks