Are you eligible? $600 could be hitting bank accounts of thousands of Australians this July!

Thousands of Australians are set to receive a financial boost as the government announces a new supplement aimed at supporting carers across the nation.

This initiative is part of a broader effort to provide relief and recognition for the invaluable work carers do daily.

The supplement, due to roll out soon, promises to offer much-needed assistance, ensuring carers can continue to provide essential care and support to their loved ones. Read on to find all the details on who is eligible and how to access this significant financial aid.

Services Australia announced on Wednesday, June 19, that a substantial financial boost is coming for those who dedicate their time to caring for others.

The Carer Supplement, an annual payment designed to support carers in their invaluable roles, will be automatically deposited into the bank accounts of eligible recipients between July 3 and August 2.

compressed-shutterstock_219923056.jpeg
Australian carers will receive a $600 Carer Supplement from Centrelink in July. Credits: Shutterstock

This $600 Carer Supplement is a welcome addition to the ongoing Centrelink payments that many carers rely on.

According to government data, this includes the Carer Payment, which offers financial support to over 300,000 Australians who, ‘because of the demands of their caring role, are unable to support themselves through substantial paid employment’.

Additionally, it will enhance the Carer Allowance, which can be received alongside other income support payments.

This allowance is provided to over 640,000 carers who ‘provide daily care and attention at home for a person with a disability, severe medical condition or who is frail and aged’.

Furthermore, the payment will also benefit recipients of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Partner Service Pension and Carer Allowance and those receiving the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Carer Service Pension.

However, Services Australia confirmed that not every individual listed in the government datasets will qualify for the Carer Supplement.

‘How much you get depends on the percentage of care you provide,’ Services Australia explained.

‘You’ll get a Carer Supplement for each eligible payment you get. For example, if you get a Carer Payment and a Carer Allowance, you’ll get two Carer Supplements.’

For example, a recipient who receives a single Caregiver Payment for their two children, along with two Caregiver Allowance payments, would receive up to $1800 from three Caregiver Supplement payments.

Meanwhile, carers who share the responsibility and receive a partial payment will also get a portion of the Carer Supplement based on the level of care they provide.

‘This payment doesn’t add to your taxable income,’ Services Australia added.

With the recent announcement of the Carer Supplement providing much-needed support to carers, another wave of financial relief is on the horizon for Australian pensioners.

As we look ahead to July, the upcoming indexation will deliver a cash boost to pensioners, ensuring they receive additional financial support.

This indexation adjustment is part of the government’s ongoing efforts to assist those who rely on pension payments, further alleviating financial pressures and enhancing their quality of life.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian carers are set to receive a $600 Carer Supplement from Centrelink in July.
  • The supplement will be paid to eligible recipients for each of the carer payments they receive, including the Carer Payment and Carer Allowance.
  • The payment will also go to certain Department of Veterans’ Affairs pension recipients.
  • The Carer Supplement does not add to taxable income and varies depending on the percentage of care provided.
Have you checked your eligibility and ensured that you receive the financial support you deserve? What additional help do you think the government can provide to our members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
My wife has multiple health issues and I am her Carer. I receive $153 a fortnight as such. We are both Aged Pensioners and receive that pension. Are we entitled to any further payments?
You will get the $600 paid into your account, usually the first pension day after 30th June.
As you are getting the Carer Allowance you don't have to apply for it, it will be paid automatically.
As you are on the Aged Pension, and not the Carer Payment you will not receive any further bonus payment, just the one payment of $600.

They should apply for a carers pension and carers allowance..
It is very hard to get the Carer Payment, especially if you are already on the Age Pension.
They are the same amount and you can't receive both. The criteria for the Carer Payment is very high. I was knocked back originally for my daughter, many years ago, although she has an intellectual disability and suffers from schizophrenia. I had to issue an appeal against the decision. It was a hard slog but I eventually received it.
However you can still definitely get the Carer Allowance if you qualify. It depends on just how much caring you are doing.

Im single and live alone .... I would think that excludes me of getting a carer supplement
Are you caring for someone??
If you are, you need to apply for the carer's allowance, they don't need to be living with you but you do need to be supplying considerable care.
It would be virtually impossible in that situation to qualify for the carer payment. The criteria for that is much higher and would need the person requiring care to be living with you.
Obviously you don't receive this bonus payment if you are not receiving one of these carer payments.

If you are also a Carer of a love one you get $600. But if you, yourself, is on a Carers pension you also get another $600. Making it a total of $1200. I'm a Carer and also a holder of a Carers Pension Card for the last 10yrs now and have been receiving the $1200 per year all that time. CentreLink do not inform pensioners of this though. I found out through a friend who has been getting it for years.

But nothing for someone on the age pension who spends time caring for their partner.
If you care for your partner, you should have applied for the carers pension, supplement, it is not an automatic payment, you need to apply and you will get it. Unless you apply Centrelink wouldn't know that you are a carer.

My wife has multiple health issues and I am her Carer. I receive $153 a fortnight as such. We are both Aged Pensioners and receive that pension. Are we entitled to any further payments?
Yes, you should apply for the Carers pension/allowance. The doctor has to fill out the form regarding your wife illness and help she needs, and you get the payment, no problem at all. If you are on both the Carers pension and the allowance, you will get two lots of $600 in July

If you care for your partner, you should have applied for the carers pension, supplement, it is not an automatic payment, you need to apply and you will get it. Unless you apply Centrelink wouldn't know that you are a carer.
You don't necessarily just "get it", even if you apply
That is only the first step.
Whether or not it is approved depends on the type of caring and how many hours you of caring you do.
However it is definitely worth applying. You've got nothing to loose. You will need Drs. reports to back up your claim.

this allowance once more will be appreciated by carers but as it has been being granted for many years now and has never increased in value in that time, i feel that bragging about it is really just chest beating with an election coming up this year.it used to be $800 but the govt of the time took $200 and added it to the pension payment it then dropped back to $600 .so does this mean carers will receive an additional $600 per annum or will it stay at the normal $600 per year ..... just asking

Reactions: Maggie@24
this allowance once more will be appreciated by carers but as it has been being granted for many years now and has never increased in value in that time, i feel that bragging about it is really just chest beating with an election coming up this year.it used to be $800 but the govt of the time took $200 and added it to the pension payment it then dropped back to $600 .so does this mean carers will receive an additional $600 per annum or will it stay at the normal $600 per year ..... just asking
I'll give you one guess, lol.

But nothing for someone on the age pension who spends time caring for their partner.
Yes, the Carer's allowance $154 per fortnight is available to you even though you are on a pension. Along with that, you would be eligible for the $600 July Carer's bonus. But you would need to apply for the Carer's allownce immediately. Just call Services Australia for an appointment at your local branch, or apply online if you can. Cheers

They should apply for a carers pension and carers allowance..
You can't get the carers pension as well as the age pension. It's the same amount of money and very seldom do they give consideration to changing one for the other. There is nothing stopping you from applying but the criteria is very high and you need to be doing a very considerable amount of caring.
You can, of course, still apply for the carer allowance and then you would automatically get the $600 bonus every year if you qualified.
If you are also a Carer of a love one you get $600. But if you, yourself, is on a Carers pension you also get another $600. Making it a total of $1200. I'm a Carer and also a holder of a Carers Pension Card for the last 10yrs now and have been receiving the $1200 per year all that time. CentreLink do not inform pensioners of this though. I found out through a friend who has been getting it for years.
That is strange, I have been receiving this bonus payment ever since it was introduced.
I didn't need to apply for it, it came automatically every year, first pension day after 30/6, along with my carer payment.

This supplement is a regular annual payment. It is not something new. And it has never been indexed so has lost some value over the years. Why is this article saying it is some new form of relief?

Carers have been receiving this payment for many many years I believe Mr Rudd brought it in when he was leader of the labor party and as it was passed the Liberal government had to continue it, hence the Labor party is also continuing it. It isn't new it isn't something this government is throwing in to help. I wish SDC would state the facts properly to me this is only stirring up trouble.

Why dont pensioners receive the additional carers supliment i am a age pensioner who looks after my self my wife used to get the carers allowance for lookin after me untill she passed away from EPHESEMA now i look after myself so why cant i get the allowance I am saving the Gov money by looking after myself with a lot of differculty
You don't have to be part of a couple to get the carer allowance/supplement.