TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
Are you doing it wrong? Woman sparks debate over whether hot or cold air is best to clear condensation on your car windshield.

Are you doing it wrong? Woman sparks debate over whether hot or cold air is best to clear condensation on your car windshield.
Another winter, another debate over the best way to get rid of condensation on your windshield. People have been divided on this issue for years, with some adamant that cold air is the only way to go, while others swear by the defrost setting. So, what is the best way to get rid of condensation on your windshield? Should we use hot or cold air?

DgaU9D5NP_lt310ZrHVYCGgHLhR4k79gqiqvC4p1mo38MkgurwUQz11YtAGRBMbjVGZkNsvCit3bU3CdaIsfVHAvYyctsbZLKpu3Bna2cgZhrSZKM9E10yDu_qVAyg4N96em7pqimhPfcf4m7Q

Source: @Kaylajacksonnn/Tiktok

A TikToker blew up the internet with her post asking what’s better to remove the condensation from a windshield, cold or hot air? According to some commenters, you should always use cold air to clear the fog faster. Others say that the defrost setting, cranking up the heat, and push of the AC button is the way to go.

'Always cold air to clear it faster then you can slowly turn the heat up but make sure air is still blowing on the windshield', said a man.

'Use the defrost setting, crank the heat and push the air-con button. I don’t know why it works, but it just does.' one woman said.

ym-jntlxbbK4KNnudBkvTjOHBUwx3uafVVyjBPkbWc6EMmocbcDQXZj9XU5ESCz2JEKK_li1P5e0e1Atnvhec2LIFn-OXiW9YZJ33D4BxwopZVytYn0McQPIgeVmAz0ROfb-JE4FBWhQ4IAnww

Source: ENDURANCE

'Same - I blast it on every mode until it is fixed', a man supported a commenter.

Some preferred to pull over and open all the windows to help get rid of the condensation.

'I just pull over when it isn't working and open all the windows', said a woman.

A lot of the commenters revealed that there's no winner and loser in the heated debate,,, basically, the temperature doesn't matter for them as long as the AC comes to play.

'Doesn't matter! Just make sure the air conditioning is turned on and the demister button is on and put it whatever temp is comfortable' another woman said.

'Your windscreen needs to match the temp outside to de-fog', one man said.

'EITHER. As long as you have AC on to take the moisture out', another man said.

'Just make sure the AC button is on & it'll clear! I think it's the conditioning function that does it. Saved me lots of stern drives with AC + warm,' one woman said.

tp2AG3FSii0kn50gyt4RiwX7xyWKtl3X-MbSfAndn_rYUPotSYsulacGziHkyKtHmux-tokldLTzHaLPN3KB-8VPU-p0MkhYUyKq5a-H6DlkEjDHPsWyX5Y6P8HC6_1Gho6GOd2hLawCPjVVew

Source: Autobahn

'All it means is that the temperatures need to balance, and you can't change the temperature outside, so change the inside temperature to match the outside', one man said.

'I just have the AC on, so it's blowing on the windscreen, but I have the actual temp to warm, so I don't freeze to death in my car', one woman said.

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and it left the original poster even more confused!

'These comments are all conflicting, and now I'm more confused than EVER HAHAHA', she wrote.

So now is the best time now to ask an expert on this problem!

According to Cars24, 'Winter fogging, unlike summer fogging, happens inside the car. Because the inside of an automobile is frequently warmer than the outside air. Condensation forms on the inside of the car when cold air meets warm glass, making it more difficult to remove. '

Here are the tricks they shared for car owners to quickly get rid of a fog formed inside the car in winter:

O6sYdkY_7xYZ-fgf60zimKZ0r4EKWmOTv0RULEg29Liuf4oKcLZz7mwx0TjGSSCRYTl62se1J_k4WDMIPodFgzZ0BAuBShdFdayaE9qh6bf0O8kkguBHhp3KpyhUbXDyaSPrVzKewQ05NYrHSg

Source: 24Cars

1. Recirculate the Air

This button, often known as the "Fresh Air Mode" button on your dashboard, is one of the simplest and fastest ways to defog your windshield in cold weather. The button features an automobile with an arrow pointing at it. When used, this feature draws in fresh air from outside the vehicle but does not lower the temperature inside. Instead, the temperature will gradually stabilise, and the fog on your windshield will dissipate. You must ensure that the "Recirculation Mode" button, which has a car and a circle arrow inside it, is turned off. By closing the air ducts in front, this function recirculates the air within the vehicle.

2. Decreasing the Temperature Inside the Car

If the "Recirculation Mode" is turned on and the temperature inside the car is still too warm for the cold outside air, you will need to lower the temperature inside the vehicle. Turning the temperature knob all the way to the left should do the trick. Doing so will gradually reduce the temperature inside the car, making it more comfortable for you while also helping to clear the fog on your windshield. Just don't forget to bring an extra layer of clothing to keep yourself warm.

8Uhv-ysX1UL5WEtIFJe-03o-CjFMYXQiS86Ka4HNdYj-Ezo5al3ARLcodgalmPnfcP3nGX4EW4SC_YTdmBMl5DSN24oKA4wGDseq_EDzV0BhNI9G93XSX2k6m6GRouPsACi_60-ECkUsJpQidw

3. Use the Defrost Vent

The "Defrost" setting on your car's temperature control is designed to clear the windshield of fog by directing warm air to the glass. It is the most successful method of quickly removing condensation from your windshield. However, you must be patient as it can take a few minutes for the air to warm up and the fog to dissipate. The "Defrost" setting is easy to find; it is usually located on the temperature control knob and is labelled with three squiggly arrows pointing upwards.

Going back to the comments, they aren't wrong, as they still end up clearing the fog formed on their windshields. There's just always a better and faster way of doing it so. Thank you to the experts who shared the tricks and the original poster who sparked the discussion. Condensation won't be the same problem again this winter or the next!

So, there you have it. Some cold hard facts about the best way to get rid of condensation on your windshield this winter. What do you think? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Another winter, another debate over the best way to get rid of condensation on your windshield. People have been divided on this issue for years, with some adamant that cold air is the only way to go, while others swear by the defrost setting. So, what is the best way to get rid of condensation on your windshield? Should we use hot or cold air?

DgaU9D5NP_lt310ZrHVYCGgHLhR4k79gqiqvC4p1mo38MkgurwUQz11YtAGRBMbjVGZkNsvCit3bU3CdaIsfVHAvYyctsbZLKpu3Bna2cgZhrSZKM9E10yDu_qVAyg4N96em7pqimhPfcf4m7Q

Source: @Kaylajacksonnn/Tiktok

A TikToker blew up the internet with her post asking what’s better to remove the condensation from a windshield, cold or hot air? According to some commenters, you should always use cold air to clear the fog faster. Others say that the defrost setting, cranking up the heat, and push of the AC button is the way to go.

'Always cold air to clear it faster then you can slowly turn the heat up but make sure air is still blowing on the windshield', said a man.

'Use the defrost setting, crank the heat and push the air-con button. I don’t know why it works, but it just does.' one woman said.

ym-jntlxbbK4KNnudBkvTjOHBUwx3uafVVyjBPkbWc6EMmocbcDQXZj9XU5ESCz2JEKK_li1P5e0e1Atnvhec2LIFn-OXiW9YZJ33D4BxwopZVytYn0McQPIgeVmAz0ROfb-JE4FBWhQ4IAnww

Source: ENDURANCE

'Same - I blast it on every mode until it is fixed', a man supported a commenter.

Some preferred to pull over and open all the windows to help get rid of the condensation.

'I just pull over when it isn't working and open all the windows', said a woman.

A lot of the commenters revealed that there's no winner and loser in the heated debate,,, basically, the temperature doesn't matter for them as long as the AC comes to play.

'Doesn't matter! Just make sure the air conditioning is turned on and the demister button is on and put it whatever temp is comfortable' another woman said.

'Your windscreen needs to match the temp outside to de-fog', one man said.

'EITHER. As long as you have AC on to take the moisture out', another man said.

'Just make sure the AC button is on & it'll clear! I think it's the conditioning function that does it. Saved me lots of stern drives with AC + warm,' one woman said.

tp2AG3FSii0kn50gyt4RiwX7xyWKtl3X-MbSfAndn_rYUPotSYsulacGziHkyKtHmux-tokldLTzHaLPN3KB-8VPU-p0MkhYUyKq5a-H6DlkEjDHPsWyX5Y6P8HC6_1Gho6GOd2hLawCPjVVew

Source: Autobahn

'All it means is that the temperatures need to balance, and you can't change the temperature outside, so change the inside temperature to match the outside', one man said.

'I just have the AC on, so it's blowing on the windscreen, but I have the actual temp to warm, so I don't freeze to death in my car', one woman said.

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and it left the original poster even more confused!

'These comments are all conflicting, and now I'm more confused than EVER HAHAHA', she wrote.

So now is the best time now to ask an expert on this problem!

According to Cars24, 'Winter fogging, unlike summer fogging, happens inside the car. Because the inside of an automobile is frequently warmer than the outside air. Condensation forms on the inside of the car when cold air meets warm glass, making it more difficult to remove. '

Here are the tricks they shared for car owners to quickly get rid of a fog formed inside the car in winter:

O6sYdkY_7xYZ-fgf60zimKZ0r4EKWmOTv0RULEg29Liuf4oKcLZz7mwx0TjGSSCRYTl62se1J_k4WDMIPodFgzZ0BAuBShdFdayaE9qh6bf0O8kkguBHhp3KpyhUbXDyaSPrVzKewQ05NYrHSg

1. Recirculate the Air

This button, often known as the "Fresh Air Mode" button on your dashboard, is one of the simplest and fastest ways to defog your windshield in cold weather. The button features an automobile with an arrow pointing at it. When used, this feature draws in fresh air from outside the vehicle but does not lower the temperature inside. Instead, the temperature will gradually stabilise, and the fog on your windshield will dissipate. You must ensure that the "Recirculation Mode" button, which has a car and a circle arrow inside it, is turned off. By closing the air ducts in front, this function recirculates the air within the vehicle.

2. Decreasing the Temperature Inside the Car

If the "Recirculation Mode" is turned on and the temperature inside the car is still too warm for the cold outside air, you will need to lower the temperature inside the vehicle. Turning the temperature knob all the way to the left should do the trick. Doing so will gradually reduce the temperature inside the car, making it more comfortable for you while also helping to clear the fog on your windshield. Just don't forget to bring an extra layer of clothing to keep yourself warm.

8Uhv-ysX1UL5WEtIFJe-03o-CjFMYXQiS86Ka4HNdYj-Ezo5al3ARLcodgalmPnfcP3nGX4EW4SC_YTdmBMl5DSN24oKA4wGDseq_EDzV0BhNI9G93XSX2k6m6GRouPsACi_60-ECkUsJpQidw

3. Use the Defrost Vent

The "Defrost" setting on your car's temperature control is designed to clear the windshield of fog by directing warm air to the glass. It is the most successful method of quickly removing condensation from your windshield. However, you must be patient as it can take a few minutes for the air to warm up and the fog to dissipate. The "Defrost" setting is easy to find; it is usually located on the temperature control knob and is labelled with three squiggly arrows pointing upwards.

Going back to the comments, they aren't wrong, as they still end up clearing the fog formed on their windshields. There's just always a better and faster way of doing it so. Thank you to the experts who shared the tricks and the original poster who sparked the discussion. Condensation won't be the same problem again this winter or the next!

So, there you have it. Some cold hard facts about the best way to get rid of condensation on your windshield this winter. What do you think? Let us know in the comments below.
Hot air is fine if it is hot. If not as in when the cars heating system hasn't warmed up yet then use air conditioned air which acts as a dehumidifier albeit with some discomfort until the heater starts working.

Reactions: Ricci