Are you cleaning your dishwasher correctly? This cleaning queen reveals her five-step deep clean routine

We here at the Seniors Discount Club are all about helping our members save time and money whenever we can. One of the best ways to do that is by teaching you how to keep your household appliances clean and maintained so they last longer.

After all, if something breaks down, it's usually much more expensive to replace than it would have been to repair in the first place!

That's why today, we're going to be sharing a cleaning hack courtesy of Australian cleaning 'queen' Chantel Mila – better known as Mama Mila – on TikTok.

Even though it's such an important part of the kitchen, a lot of people tend to forget that the dishwasher also needs a deep cleaning every now and then. If you’re one of those people, Chantel Mila is here to help you out.

mama mila.JPG
Chantel Mila, better known as Mama Mila on TikTok. Credit: mama_mila_ on TikTok

This Melbourne-based mum-of-two is a cleaning expert who often shares tips on how to keep your home spick and span. Recently, she took to her social media to share her favourite five-step process for giving your dishwasher a good deep clean.

‘When was the last time you gave your dishwasher a deep clean?’ the Australian ‘cleaning queen’ asked in her video.

‘The first thing I like to do is remove all of the filters and empty them out,’ she continued as she demonstrated how to do just that. ‘And then I like to soak them in some warm soapy water.’

dishwasher.JPG
Dishwashers need washing too. Credit: mama_mila_ on TikTok

After letting the filters soak for a while, Mama Mila puts them back into place and moves on to step two: cleaning the seals with disinfectant spray before wiping them down with a cloth.

Next, she advised her followers to place one cup of white vinegar onto the bottom rack of an empty dishwasher before running it on eco mode. The vinegar will help break down any built-up grease or grime inside. It seems disgusting to some, but we all know this needs to be done!

Finally, she leaves the door to the dishwasher open after running it through an eco-cycle. Mama Mila does this so that air can circulate properly and dry everything out completely. And there you have it – sparkling clean dishes AND a spotless dishwasher!

You can watch her TikTok video down here:

Key Takeaways

• Cleaning queen, Chantel Mila, has revealed her five-step process for deep cleaning a dishwasher.
  • She recommends starting the process by removing the filters and soaking them in warm, soapy water.
  • She then suggests spraying the seals with disinfectant and wiping them clean.
  • After that, she says to place one cup of white vinegar on the bottom rack of the dishwasher and run it on an empty eco-cycle.
  • Lastly, she suggests leaving the dishwasher door open and allowing the inside to air dry.

There you go, folks! Those are your dishwasher cleaning tips, brought to you by Chantel Mila. Be honest, dear members, when was the last time you cleaned your dishwashers? Are you keen on trying out these cleaning hacks yourselves? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
After 13 kids and so far 18 grandchildren I still do not have a dishwasher.

Many don't like dish washing but I find it relaxing , the only times it gets a little much is when we have party's

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
We here at the Seniors Discount Club are all about helping our members save time and money whenever we can. One of the best ways to do that is by teaching you how to keep your household appliances clean and maintained so they last longer.

After all, if something breaks down, it's usually much more expensive to replace than it would have been to repair in the first place!

That's why today, we're going to be sharing a cleaning hack courtesy of Australian cleaning 'queen' Chantel Mila – better known as Mama Mila – on TikTok.

Even though it's such an important part of the kitchen, a lot of people tend to forget that the dishwasher also needs a deep cleaning every now and then. If you’re one of those people, Chantel Mila is here to help you out.

View attachment 7464

This Melbourne-based mum-of-two is a cleaning expert who often shares tips on how to keep your home spick and span. Recently, she took to her social media to share her favourite five-step process for giving your dishwasher a good deep clean.

‘When was the last time you gave your dishwasher a deep clean?’ the Australian ‘cleaning queen’ asked in her video.

‘The first thing I like to do is remove all of the filters and empty them out,’ she continued as she demonstrated how to do just that. ‘And then I like to soak them in some warm soapy water.’

View attachment 7463

After letting the filters soak for a while, Mama Mila puts them back into place and moves on to step two: cleaning the seals with disinfectant spray before wiping them down with a cloth.

Next, she advised her followers to place one cup of white vinegar onto the bottom rack of an empty dishwasher before running it on eco mode. The vinegar will help break down any built-up grease or grime inside. It seems disgusting to some, but we all know this needs to be done!

Finally, she leaves the door to the dishwasher open after running it through an eco-cycle. Mama Mila does this so that air can circulate properly and dry everything out completely. And there you have it – sparkling clean dishes AND a spotless dishwasher!

Key Takeaways

• Cleaning queen, Chantel Mila, has revealed her five-step process for deep cleaning a dishwasher.
  • She recommends starting the process by removing the filters and soaking them in warm, soapy water.
  • After that, she says to place one cup of white vinegar on the bottom rack of the dishwasher and run it on an empty eco-cycle.
  • Lastly, she suggests leaving the dishwasher door open and allowing the inside to air dry.

There you go, folks! Those are your dishwasher cleaning tips, brought to you by Chantel Mila. Be honest, dear members, when was the last time you cleaned your dishwashers? Are you keen on trying out these cleaning hacks yourselves? Let us know in the comments below!

Isn't there evidence circulating about white vinger being hard on seals and other rubber, thus leading to earlier failure and perishing?

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Isn't there evidence circulating about white vinger being hard on seals and other rubber, thus leading to earlier failure and perishing?
I haven't heard this one, but vinegar couldn't be more harsh than chemicals out there.
The vinegar doesn't dry out my skin like chemical sprays nor does it take my breath away

I have always used dishwasher powder. A while ago, I tried Aldi's dishwasher tablets as it has good reviews.
Well, what a disaster. The inside of my dishwasher was coated in white powder that I couldn't wipe off & believe me I really tried.
I rang Bosch & they advised this tip of using one cup of vinegar & run an empty full cycle. Not eco but a hot cycle.
It worked.
I will stick with my dishwasher powder as it suits my dishwasher.

View attachment 7464

View attachment 7463

Key Takeaways

I love the use of vinegar so much that I can drink it straight from the bottle. I have been addicted to vinegar since I was 18 mths old & reckon that is the secret to my being so well preserved at 85. Since I have no seals I supposed that is why I have reached this age when no one else in my family passed their 70s. As for my dishwasher as the landlord only allowed enough money for the cheapest type of washer There are things I can't do to it! but vinegar I will try.

So does it mean there's no need to buy dishwasher tablets anymore if only one cup of vinegar can do the job?
Yes, I stopped buying dishwasher tablets as I tried a few times. I didn't want to keep using the vinegar wash as it was pointless to me. It a personal choice, but I find the dishwasher powder is cheaper as I can regulate how much I use. However, if your dishwasher is fine with them, there's no need to stop buying them.

I haven't heard this one, but vinegar couldn't be more harsh than chemicals out there.
The vinegar doesn't dry out my skin like chemical sprays nor does it take my breath away
Yes, note your reasoning, but that's the point different reactions from different chemicals. So yes in fact, commercially available chemicals maybe harming your machine internals. But the manufacturers won't tell you. I also recall from these pages a washing machine mechanic, advise not to use white vinger as it is no good for seals. Cheers

After 13 kids and so far 18 grandchildren I still do not have a dishwasher.

Many don't like dish washing but I find it relaxing , the only times it gets a little much is when we have party's
I had a dish washer at one house but found that loading it and running it, then unloading, was more trouble than doing the dishes in the sink.
I too quite enjoy doing the dishes.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
While many cleaning experts recommend using white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to clean rubber seals, others warn against it. The acids in vinegar can eventually break down the rubber seals, gaskets, and hoses in washing machines, dishwashers, and toilets, leading to leaks. Hot soapy water using dishwashing liquid does a better job of cleaning the dishwasher.

As for using disinfectant in your dishwasher in any manner or form - It is a poison. The MSDS charts state and also on bottles of disinfectant that the Conditions to Avoid: Mixing with Soaps/Detergents and other chemicals. If swallowed contact the poisons hotline.

How frequently your dishwasher needs cleaning depends on how many cycles you run daily or weekly. Assuming you run a load every day, here are the things to do daily, weekly and monthly to help keep your dishwasher clean:
  • Daily or after every load: Remove visible bits of food from inside the filter well and the bottom of the dishwasher.
  • Weekly: Wipe down the door edges and gasket to get rid of any debris, and remove and clean the filter.
  • Monthly: Deep-clean the interior with a cleaning cycle.
  • As needed: Wipe the exterior, edges, and interior of drips, spots, and film.

I have always used dishwasher powder. A while ago, I tried Aldi's dishwasher tablets as it has good reviews.
Well, what a disaster. The inside of my dishwasher was coated in white powder that I couldn't wipe off & believe me I really tried.
I rang Bosch & they advised this tip of using one cup of vinegar & run an empty full cycle. Not eco but a hot cycle.
It worked.
I will stick with my dishwasher powder as it suits my dishwasher.

I clean it the lazy way - once a month with a Finish dishwasher cleaner. It always look sparkling after and I don’t need to run it on empty as it cleans it with the dishes in.

Yes, I stopped buying dishwasher tablets as I tried a few times. I didn't want to keep using the vinegar wash as it was pointless to me. It a personal choice, but I find the dishwasher powder is cheaper as I can regulate how much I use. However, if your dishwasher is fine with them, there's no need to stop buying them.
Apologies, I meant to say the tablets for cleaning my dishwasher which seems pretty expensive to me. It seemed to me that vinegar wasn't that miraculous, besides worrying about ruining seals. And I dont find my dishwasher that dirty anymore, after I started using the Aldi dishwashing tablets (for crockery). But as I'm new to dishwashers, I am still struggling between buying those expensive dishwasher cleansing tablets and use them every month or just stick with vinegar... (˵¯͒〰¯͒˵)

Reactions: Penny4
I love the use of vinegar so much that I can drink it straight from the bottle. I have been addicted to vinegar since I was 18 mths old & reckon that is the secret to my being so well preserved at 85. Since I have no seals I supposed that is why I have reached this age when no one else in my family passed their 70s. As for my dishwasher as the landlord only allowed enough money for the cheapest type of washer There are things I can't do to it! but vinegar I will try.
My apologies, I meant to say tablets for cleaning dishwashers.