Are you being overcharged? Seniors report feeling 'trapped' amidst skyrocketing retirement village fees

As we get older, many of us will find ourselves looking long and hard at the various options available for our retirement years. It’s a decision that will set the tone for our later years – will you move into a care facility or stay living in the family house? Or, like many Australians, choose to join a seniors-geared retirement village?

But one Central Coast community of retirees are saying they’ve made a mistake with their decision.

Residents at the Nautical Village in Kincumber claim that since they moved into the village, their site fees – which are set to cover maintenance of the site, have increased significantly. So much, in fact, that many of the retired members of the community are struggling to make ends meet on their pension.

Residents claim that their site fees have gone ‘through the roof’ since moving in, forcing them to go without luxuries and necessities.

shutterstock_422172070 (1).jpg
Do you feel trapped in your retirement village? Image Credit: Shutterstock

Resident Joy said she is unable to go out for enjoyment due to her financial situation.

Meanwhile, 73-year-old Gaye says she may even have to give up her beloved pet dog Bella due to the increasing cost.

And 95-year-old Mary said: ‘I have just enough to buy food after my site fees have been taken out and nothing else. No luxuries.’

The worst part is, many of the village’s residents feel they are unable to do anything about it. As Jim said, 'We own our homes... but we lease the land on which they sit and the fees just keep going up and up.'

'Many of us are on the old age pension and site fees for the leasehold on the land and maintenance around the village have now reached a level that it's taking half our pension, leaving us with little to live on.'

'It was the only way people like us on the pension could afford to have a house, but many of us believe we have made a big mistake,' Jim continued.

The village owner Theo Whitmont claimed that to keep the park ‘viable’, the fees need to be increased. However, residents of the village aren’t buying it: 'The site fees are supposed to keep the place maintained, but we see little for our money,' noted Frank. 'Roads are in poor condition and the place needs an upgrade.'

'I feel trapped,' Frank continued.

'I honestly can’t see a way out of this, it’s not how I wanted to spend my final years.'

If you or your loved ones are facing skyrocketing retirement village fees, then it’s important to know your rights – and to know where to access help.

Firstly, know that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is available to ‘educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities under the Australian Consumer Law around retirement villages.’

You might also need to turn to a lawyer for advice.

For Victorians, the following help is available.

Consumer Affairs Victoria can offer information regarding general consumer rights and retirement villages. You can reach them on 1300 558 181.

Elder Rights Advocacy provides individual advocacy support for problems with aged care service providers. You can reach them on 1800 700 600.

Not in Victoria? There’s still help available through the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN).

OPAN is a national network of nine state and territory organisations. These organisations have been successfully delivering advocacy, information and education services to older people across Australia for over 25 years.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.18.45 am.png
Retirement should be stress-free. Help is available if you are struggling. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) includes:

Key Takeaways
  • Seniors living at the Nautical Village at Kincumber feel trapped as their site fees continue to rise, consuming a large portion of their pensions.
  • The residents claim that despite paying increasing site fees, the maintenance and upkeep of the village has not improved.
  • The village owner, Theo Whitmont, states that rising costs are forcing him to increase site fees to keep the park viable and prevent closure.
  • Many seniors are now considering their options, struggling to afford the lifestyle they envisioned for their retirement years.
  • The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) is available to help.
If you or somebody you know is struggling in a retirement village, then please remember that you are not alone and help is available.

Seniors in other retirement villages may also be experiencing similar issues. If you feel like you are being overcharged for your retirement living, we encourage you to speak up and consult with your local government authority or seek legal advice.

Let us know in the comments below if you or someone you know has had a retirement village experience like Bob, Jim, Frank or Joy – and how you were able to resolve it. And please take a moment to also share this article with your friends and family, so they can be aware of the issue and persistent red flags when it comes to retirement village fees.

Sponsored
I am in a retirement village on the Central Coast of NSW. When I retired, I couldn't afford to pay the high house prices where I wanted to live (10 minutes from my daughter). I actually thought I would be working until I keeled over! The maintenance fees cover building insurance (residents pay contents insurance), council rates, water rates, repairs to the unit (stove etc), lawnmowing, gutter cleaning etc. These are expenses that they would have to pay even if they were not in the retirement village. While I do not need community as I am a born loner - I don't play well in the sandpit with others; I tend to want to be Dictator of the Sandpit (nice title), so I don't use all the facilities available except the pool. I am happy here, although it must be said that even though I am on a full pension, I am still living on what is left of my Super and, when that runs out, then I may run into some difficulties, but I will manage. I pay the maintenance fees yearly, in one lump sum, so I don't have to worry about that for a year, that may be a problem when the Super runs out too. From what I know, I don't own the unit I live in or the land the unit is on, they are owned by the company. I really think that they would find it difficult if they were not in a retirement village because after a lifetime of working, or raising a family, the pension is not enough to really cover all the expenses in life. It's sad that older people have to suffer all the worry and stress when they at a time in their lives when life should finally be easier. Stop the damn foreign aid and use it to increase aged pensions.

As we get older, many of us will find ourselves looking long and hard at the various options available for our retirement years. It’s a decision that will set the tone for our later years – will you move into a care facility or stay living in the family house? Or, like many Australians, choose to join a seniors-geared retirement village?

But one Central Coast community of retirees are saying they’ve made a mistake with their decision.

Residents at the Nautical Village in Kincumber claim that since they moved into the village, their site fees – which are set to cover maintenance of the site, have increased significantly. So much, in fact, that many of the retired members of the community are struggling to make ends meet on their pension.

Residents claim that their site fees have gone ‘through the roof’ since moving in, forcing them to go without luxuries and necessities.

Resident Joy said she is unable to go out for enjoyment due to her financial situation.

Meanwhile, 73-year-old Gaye says she may even have to give up her beloved pet dog Bella due to the increasing cost.

And 95-year-old Mary said: ‘I have just enough to buy food after my site fees have been taken out and nothing else. No luxuries.’

The worst part is, many of the village’s residents feel they are unable to do anything about it. As Jim said, 'We own our homes... but we lease the land on which they sit and the fees just keep going up and up.'

'Many of us are on the old age pension and site fees for the leasehold on the land and maintenance around the village have now reached a level that it's taking half our pension, leaving us with little to live on.'

'It was the only way people like us on the pension could afford to have a house, but many of us believe we have made a big mistake,' Jim continued.

The village owner Theo Whitmont claimed that to keep the park ‘viable’, the fees need to be increased. However, residents of the village aren’t buying it: 'The site fees are supposed to keep the place maintained, but we see little for our money,' noted Frank. 'Roads are in poor condition and the place needs an upgrade.'

'I honestly can’t see a way out of this, it’s not how I wanted to spend my final years.'

If you or your loved ones are facing skyrocketing retirement village fees, then it’s important to know your rights – and to know where to access help.

Firstly, know that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is available to ‘educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities under the Australian Consumer Law around retirement villages.’

Consumer Affairs Victoria can offer information regarding general consumer rights and retirement villages. You can reach them on 1300 558 181.

Elder Rights Advocacy provides individual advocacy support for problems with aged care service providers. You can reach them on 1800 700 600.

Not in Victoria? There’s still help available through the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN).

OPAN is a national network of nine state and territory organisations. These organisations have been successfully delivering advocacy, information and education services to older people across Australia for over 25 years.

Retirement should be stress-free. Help is available if you are struggling. Image Credit: Shutterstock

ACT Disability, Aged and Carer Advocacy Service (ADACAS) – Australian Capital Territory
Advocacy Tasmania Inc. – Tasmania
Advocare – Western Australia
Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia – Queensland
Aged Care Advocacy Service, CatholicCare – Central Australia NT
Aged Rights Advocacy Service (ARAS) – South Australia
Elder Rights Advocacy (ERA) – Victoria
Seniors and Disability Rights Service of Darwin Community Legal Service – Northern Territory
Seniors Rights Service – New South Wales

Key Takeaways

Seniors living at the Nautical Village at Kincumber feel trapped as their site fees continue to rise, consuming a large portion of their pensions.
The residents claim that despite paying increasing site fees, the maintenance and upkeep of the village has not improved.
The village owner, Theo Whitmont, states that rising costs are forcing him to increase site fees to keep the park viable and prevent closure.
Many seniors are now considering their options, struggling to afford the lifestyle they envisioned for their retirement years.
The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) is available to help.

If you or somebody you know is struggling in a retirement village, then please remember that you are not alone and help is available.

Seniors in other retirement villages may also be experiencing similar issues. If you feel like you are being overcharged for your retirement living, we encourage you to speak up and consult with your local government authority or seek legal advice.

Let us know in the comments below if you or someone you know has had a retirement village experience like Bob, Jim, Frank or Joy – and how you were able to resolve it. And please take a moment to also share this article with your friends and family, so they can be aware of the issue and persistent red flags when it comes to retirement village fees.

It saddens me to learn that the elderly are being fleeced by opportunistic service providers. However, I can't say I'm the least bit surprised, as this sort of thing is rife across all community living scenarios, including Strata Properties. And part of the problem is that owners hand over control of the their strata management to an external provider who is driven purely by profits. I recommend that the owners corporation take over and self-manage - this seems to be the only way to keep a lid on cost blow-outs.

View attachment 16199

View attachment 16200

Key Takeaways

• Seniors living at the Nautical Village at Kincumber feel trapped as their site fees continue to rise, consuming a large portion of their pensions.
  • The residents claim that despite paying increasing site fees, the maintenance and upkeep of the village has not improved.
  • The village owner, Theo Whitmont, states that rising costs are forcing him to increase site fees to keep the park viable and prevent closure.
  • Many seniors are now considering their options, struggling to afford the lifestyle they envisioned for their retirement years.

I am.currently the Secretary of the South Australian Residential Parks Residents Association (these are Land Lease Communities) we have the Residential Parks Act in South Australia to help protect residents
We lodge with SACAT ( South Australian Civil Affairs Tribunal) for these matters. I am sure NSW would have something similar. I suggest you contact COTA they would have this information.
I have just researched the ARPRA.org. au in NSW that does exactly what we do.in South Australia. Hope this helps you can.contact me at [email protected]
Cheers Phil

I am particularly interested in retirement villages as we are considering this option as our current home is too large to upkeep plus having some extra cash would allow would allow us to keep our current lifestyle. Investigating lifestyle villages has amazed us as the demand far exceeds supply. The cost of buying into a village is expensive particularly as it is the house you buy, not the land it sits on! Paying upward of $700,000 plus weekly ongoing fees leaves me with a

feeling of being "ripped-off" It is very much promoted as a lifestyle decision and NOT an investment! A

ACT Disability, Aged and Carer Advocacy Service (ADACAS) – Australian Capital Territory
Seniors and Disability Rights Service of Darwin Community Legal Service – Northern Territory

Key Takeaways

Seniors living at the Nautical Village at Kincumber feel trapped as their site fees continue to rise, consuming a large portion of their pensions.
The residents claim that despite paying increasing site fees, the maintenance and upkeep of the village has not improved.
The village owner, Theo Whitmont, states that rising costs are forcing him to increase site fees to keep the park viable and prevent closure.
Many seniors are now considering their options, struggling to afford the lifestyle they envisioned for their retirement years.

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways

I cohabitat with my twin Bro in a managed elderly village in Fitzgibbon, Qld. The more I think about things the more I think eldery folks in these types of accommodation are being scammed. One has to pay a large capital $ sum ('00,000.00's) just to get in to the village. When you multiply the fees charged by the number of units in the village it is obvious it is a 'costs' money scam. Unit dwellers are responsible for their own inside unit maintenance and require permissions for outside or ground work (gardens!!) One does not own the property or the unit/house so what is the capital sum up front all about? It is really only a 'right of occupancy'. Yes, cut down the immigration and realistically support Aussie pensioners first.

Having recently retired, I looked into retirement villages as a way to downsize, but from what I found, that's a big 'hell no'. Nursing homes are not permitted to make a profit, but retirement villages are. It might sound great to sell your house & buy a place for eg $300,000.00 and have money left over to play with. Then you own the house you buy but not the land it is on, so you are essentially paying rent every month as part of the maintenance fees. If you die your family cannot live in that house unless they meet the age criteria. If you want to sell up and move out, they can charge up to 40% exit fees, and they have to act as the real estate agent. My house might have too many bedrooms for me now, but I own it and only have to worry about rates and utilities. Why would I want to put myself in a position where I suddenly have big monthly outlays?

Having recently retired, I looked into retirement villages as a way to downsize, but from what I found, that's a big 'hell no'. Nursing homes are not permitted to make a profit, but retirement villages are. It might sound great to sell your house & buy a place for eg $300,000.00 and have money left over to play with. Then you own the house you buy but not the land it is on, so you are essentially paying rent every month as part of the maintenance fees. If you die your family cannot live in that house unless they meet the age criteria. If you want to sell up and move out, they can charge up to 40% exit fees, and they have to act as the real estate agent. My house might have too many bedrooms for me now, but I own it and only have to worry about rates and utilities. Why would I want to put myself in a position where I suddenly have big monthly outlays?

Unfortunately i live in an over 50's "resort", and absolutely hate it. When we first looked at this place the fees were $160 p/w ( 2018 ), now $212 and will rise again in July. We have to pay for our own repairs to our homes, this only covers maintenance to the common ground and shared facilities, such as clubrooms, pool , tennis court etc, and rates, we pay for water useage, as well as a $50 per year access to recycled water,( which we can't connect to ). We do not use any of the facilities as my husband is unwell, in fact he wont even step outside the front door. Reason for this, is you are under constant watch, the gossip and politics is draining. We put the place on the market last year, and whilst everyone was asking $50k and more above their asking figure for a stand alone house and land, this place was offered $20k under our asking price. Banks will not give you bridging finance as you don't have a land title. It may be for some, but certainly not for us, we are miserable............The term, 'like minded people', makes me shudder! To prove my point, why on earth do people in a gated community have surveillance cameras??? Be very AWARE!!!

I live in a retirement village and I love it. When I bought my place I opted to pay an upfront extra payment so that when I'm no longer here and the place gets sold all exit fees are covered and whatever the place sells for the whole amount will go to my estate.
On top of that I pay $516 per month management fees, it's that much as my place is 3 bed, 2 bath, double garage, if I was in a 2 bed/1 bath, single garage it would be cheaper, under $500 I think. That covers Rates, Water (unlimited), Building insurance, all maintenance inside and out, gardening and lawnmowing. Replacement of hob, oven or dishwasher and aircon if they spit the dummy. Annual Pest control inside and out, and annual aircon service, flush and whatever, annual fire alarm checks and replacements. 24/7 monitored emergency call button. Maintenance of all communal grounds and upkeep of swimming pool, gym, bowls lawn, communal kitchen and bar. We also pay the wages of the village manager, maintenance man and receptionist. We have a village bus that does weekly/monthly outings for no extra cost.
I have already had to have my aircon unit replaced as it totally died so with all the above covered I don't think the fees are excessive. In all the rain last year they came round with sandbags and also collected them back up after, during the fires they had an escape plan and somewhere for us all to go should it have been required. All our units are built specifically with ease of access for wheelchairs etc., extra wide doors, no steps extra wide showers etc. :)

Last edited:

View attachment 16199

View attachment 16200

Key Takeaways

I am on the same page as you Bookworm55. My sister moved into an Over 55s community in Brisbane shortly before her husband passed away. They sold their house and paid the 'purchase' fee of $420,000. She still has normal ongoing fees of maintenance and of facilities common to all; on top of that she pays water and electricity as used, cannot make any changes to her garden without permission, must pay for even a light bulb to be changed and so on, cannot have anyone stay overnight without letting management approve, cannot have her own children stay with her permanently; in addition the family, on her passing, must bring the property back up to the same standard as when she moved in!!.

She (and my other siblings) have often asked me why my husband and I don't buy into the place also. Incoming 'buy' your home but you don't own the land! Outgoing on death or moving (sliding scale from 7% after 1 year) upto 34% of purchase price retained by the organisation after 7 years (equating to about $150,000 loss which my 3 children could share), your family cannot sell your purchased home on your death - that is done by the organisation at their discretion & goodness knows how much of the sale price they also keep for themselves in addition to the real estate agent's commission. Is it really going to pay your family back on your death?? I think not.

We own our own home outright, it is low set, yes a bit too big for two of us at present but we can manage that by not using all the rooms (4 bedrooms+lounge and dining+study+rumpus+2 bathrooms). Until one of us has to move into an aged care facility we'll be staying put.

Think very carefully before you leap people. It requires serious assistance of a solicitor well versed in these sorts of places.

Last edited:
I live in a retirement village and I love it. When I bought my place I opted to pay an upfront extra payment so that when I'm no longer here and the place gets sold all exit fees are covered and whatever the place sells for the whole amount will go to my estate.
On top of that I pay $516 per month management fees, it's that much as my place is 3 bed, 2 bath, double garage, if I was in a 2 bed/1 bath, single garage it would be cheaper, under $500 I think. That covers Rates, Water (unlimited), Building insurance, all maintenance inside and out. Replacement of hob, oven or dishwasher and aircon if they spit the dummy. Annual Pest control inside and out, and annual aircon service, flush and whatever, annual fire alarm checks and replacements. 24/7 monitored emergency call button. Maintenance of all communal grounds and upkeep of swimming pool, gym, bowls lawn, communal kitchen and bar. We also pay the wages of the village manager, maintenance man and receptionist. We have a village bus that does weekly/monthly outings for no extra cost.
I have already had to have my aircon unit replaced as it totally died so with all the above covered I don't think the fees are excessive. In all the rain last year they came round with sandbags and also collected them back up after, during the fires they had an escape plan and somewhere for us all to go should it have been required. All our units are built specifically with ease of access for wheelchairs etc., extra wide doors, no steps extra wide showers etc. :)
Well aren’t you lucky! Nothing like where i live, here it is all $$$ for the owners ( privately run).

• Sad
On top of that I pay $516 per month management fees, it's that much as my place is 3 bed, 2 bath, double garage, if I was in a 2 bed/1 bath, single garage it would be cheaper, under $500 I think. That covers Rates, Water (unlimited), Building insurance, all maintenance inside and out. Replacement of hob, oven or dishwasher and aircon if they spit the dummy. Annual Pest control inside and out, and annual aircon service, flush and whatever, annual fire alarm checks and replacements. 24/7 monitored emergency call button. Maintenance of all communal grounds and upkeep of swimming pool, gym, bowls lawn, communal kitchen and bar. We also pay the wages of the village manager, maintenance man and receptionist. We have a village bus that does weekly/monthly outings for no extra cost.
Looks like that $500 a month amounts to $6000+ a year. Best check the outgoings on death or moving because there might be hidden things you don’t know about. I trust that your confidence in where you live was checked out by a competent solicitor prior to purchase. If all in order, you seem to have stumbled on the very few good deals around without being made a scapegoat.

I am particularly interested in retirement villages as we are considering this option as our current home is too large to upkeep plus having some extra cash would allow would allow us to keep our current lifestyle. Investigating lifestyle villages has amazed us as the demand far exceeds supply. The cost of buying into a village is expensive particularly as it is the house you buy, not the land it sits on! Paying upward of $700,000 plus weekly ongoing fees leaves me with a

feeling of being "ripped-off" It is very much promoted as a lifestyle decision and NOT an investment! A

Key Takeaways

Let us know in the comments below if you or someone you know has had a retirement village experience like Bob, Jim, Frank or Joy – and how you were able to resolve it. And please take a moment to also share this article with your friends and family, so they can be aware of the issue and persistent red flags when it comes to retirement village fees
We went without to buy the house we both live in and we are buggered if we are going in one of these blood sucking poxy retirement homes, where every second day you've got your hand in your pocket paying extra fees to some rat bastard. If we sell the house because it becomes too much, then I'll make sure that the smaller place will be owned freehold.

Unfortunately i live in an over 50's "resort", and absolutely hate it. When we first looked at this place the fees were $160 p/w ( 2018 ), now $212 and will rise again in July. We have to pay for our own repairs to our homes, this only covers maintenance to the common ground and shared facilities, such as clubrooms, pool , tennis court etc, and rates, we pay for water useage, as well as a $50 per year access to recycled water,( which we can't connect to ). We do not use any of the facilities as my husband is unwell, in fact he wont even step outside the front door. Reason for this, is you are under constant watch, the gossip and politics is draining. We put the place on the market last year, and whilst everyone was asking $50k and more above their asking figure for a stand alone house and land, this place was offered $20k under our asking price. Banks will not give you bridging finance as you don't have a land title. It may be for some, but certainly not for us, we are miserable............The term, 'like minded people', makes me shudder! To prove my point, why on earth do people in a gated community have surveillance cameras??? Be very AWARE!!!

Looks like that $500 a month amounts to $6000+ a year. Best check the outgoings on death or moving because there might be hidden things you don’t know about. I trust that your confidence in where you live was checked out by a competent solicitor prior to purchase. If all in order, you seem to have stumbled on the very few good deals around without being made a scapegoat.
Yes it was all checked by a solicitor. I moved in 2017 and the law had recently been changed that you could pay exit fees up front on the purchase. What's more my son will be able to pick a real estate agent, or can use the one the village uses, his choice. I used the profit on the house I sold and the fact that there is no stamp duty on a retirement place to be able to do it. I did it this way so the profit on the sale of my home would not affect my pension. When I'm gone my son should walk away with enough to pay his mortgage off. Win, win. :)

Last edited:
I am in a retirement village on the Central Coast of NSW. When I retired, I couldn't afford to pay the high house prices where I wanted to live (10 minutes from my daughter). I actually thought I would be working until I keeled over! The maintenance fees cover building insurance (residents pay contents insurance), council rates, water rates, repairs to the unit (stove etc), lawnmowing, gutter cleaning etc. These are expenses that they would have to pay even if they were not in the retirement village. While I do not need community as I am a born loner - I don't play well in the sandpit with others; I tend to want to be Dictator of the Sandpit (nice title), so I don't use all the facilities available except the pool. I am happy here, although it must be said that even though I am on a full pension, I am still living on what is left of my Super and, when that runs out, then I may run into some difficulties, but I will manage. I pay the maintenance fees yearly, in one lump sum, so I don't have to worry about that for a year, that may be a problem when the Super runs out too. From what I know, I don't own the unit I live in or the land the unit is on, they are owned by the company. I really think that they would find it difficult if they were not in a retirement village because after a lifetime of working, or raising a family, the pension is not enough to really cover all the expenses in life. It's sad that older people have to suffer all the worry and stress when they at a time in their lives when life should finally be easier. Stop the damn foreign aid and use it to increase aged pensions.
I agree with everything you say except for your last comment. Foreign aid is a negligible amount of total government costs. The whole economy would look different if the huge foreign corporations, mining companies and the very rich,
paid their fair share of tax - especially the huge foreign corporations who currently pay minimal or no tax. It's a world problem and the world itself would look different if these organisations and individuals paid tax. Jeff Bazos, second or third richest man in the world pays his workers the US minimum wage - $7.50 ph - utterly disgusting. His tax payments are also disgusting.

I am so glad I did not "buy" into a Retirement Village. I did a lot of groundwork for my late mother and I was shocked to find out how they cheat people. Buying in is not an option unless you have enough to sustain yourself to the end. When buying into a Village, the unit is NOT YOURS, it still belongs to the organisation and at any given time these people can suddenly become homeless due to redevelopment or other issues presented. I am in a Retirement Village and fortunately, I only pay rent. We are in the same boat as those who are being evicted but we got the ACA to come out and interview us. We also have a Solicitor from the Tenants Union of NSW who is very familiar with Retirement village rules etc. Also, the organisation offered to help us pack up and move to another village but far away from our Eastern Suburbs network of medical centres, specialists, hospitals etc. The only other place they can offer us is Normanhurst which does not have shopping facilities nearby unless we get a bus or train to Hornsby. I am NOT prepared to leave due to operations on my knee and feet at St Vincent's Hospital and rehabilitation at War Memorial Hospital which is on the same grounds we live on. Not everyone has the money to pay for Retirement Villages.

The people at the back of us have bought into this organisation and their units are also being pulled down as well as ours. And they also have renters. I think these villages should think about this if they want the income rent coming in to be able to keep the place. Retirement Villages are a rip-off with so many exorbitant fees to pay. Eventually, some owners may run out of funds and will have to leave. We had one such case from another village.

This is an outrage for people like us to find rent elsewhere and we will have no chance of renting a private unit against the younger ones who also want to rent the same unit we want. Where's the logic in that? It's the Liberal's fault for not keeping up with the Housing. Affordable housing will only let you rent for 10 years or more which I find very stupid. I did ask twice after a meeting with the representative from our organisation and expressed my desire to move up the back. They were happy about it but when it came to asking again, they then said no way! So with the Tenants Union Lawyer's help, she will find out why. We are standing our ground and the development DA proposal has not been submitted to the Council yet. The Council rejected their building plans several times. We might get another couple of years here! Even from my late Mother's inheritance from her unit, I won't have enough to sustain me till the end. We had to sell her unit to pay for her nursing home fees. And as for the Public Trustee, they stuffed up mum's sale of unit so I made them pay us compensation for their stuff ups!

If anyone is thinking of becoming Power of Attorney or Guardian for their loved one to the Public Trustee, be warned, have a solicitor with you. Don't even go near them, they can change everything without you knowing! My solicitor wrote them a letter warning "hands off" my mother's Will or else!

Good luck to you all.