Are you ‘washing’ your clothes in filth? This mum was shocked to find out what was really in her washing machine

We all know that our clothes need to be washed frequently, but how often do we actually think about cleaning the washing machine itself?

Most of us probably just assume that as long as we're using laundry detergent, our machine will stay clean on the inside. Unfortunately, that's not always the case – and one woman recently discovered just how dirty her washing machine really was.

In a popular Facebook group dedicated to cleaning, one woman shared multiple images of the gunk and debris that she got out of her supposedly clean machine.

She wrote in her post: 'So I found today how easy it is to take the agitator out of the second-hand machine we were given.'

'This is your spring cleaning reminder that even washing machine cleaner isn't always enough. We've put multiple washing machine cleaners through this machine when we were given it.'

41e6d640-43a7-11ed-a647-8a257d5d380f

The member of the Facebook group revealed what she had learned about the filth that can accumulate in your washing machine. Credit: Facebook.

She continued by telling the other group members that she had cleaned the machine using a combination of dishwashing liquid, bleach, and an old sponge and scrub brush.

'I popped straight bleach into the worst parts and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes while I cleaned the agitator. That was probably my saving grace,' the lady shared.

The mother also disclosed to the group that she constantly cleans the fabric softener container in addition to using a washing machine cleanser daily.

She wrote in the comments: 'I clean the fabric softener part about every fourth wash (just rinse in hot water) as it's always slimy.'

Most of the members were left in utter disbelief after discovering how much grime could be hiding in their machines, which look completely spotless.

One person took the woman’s advice and checked her machine, and she was left gobsmacked at the grime inside.

'Okay so I just saw this post and thought I’ll check mine as I have never done it and oh my gosh, absolutely disgusting,' they exclaimed.

Another said: 'It’s gross how revolting they get for a machine that’s built to clean.'

A third added: 'I always clean my agitator once a month.'

6606bb30-43a7-11ed-8e7c-5e56eb55f4b4

Another user mentioned that fabric softeners and detergents might cause slime and filth to accumulate throughout the whole drum of the machine. Credit: Facebook.

Other members weren’t surprised by the mum’s tip, as there are other areas on the machine that collects grime, aside from the agitator.

One woman shared pictures of her washing machine’s drum before and after cleaning, revealing how much gunk builds up around the edge.

'Wait till you take the whole drum out and see that same muck!' she warned.

Key Takeaways

• A good washing machine is a necessity but while we use it to clean our clothes multiple times a week, have you put much thought into how clean the machine is itself?
  • One woman who has a top loader machine shared with her Facebook cleaning group just how much gunk had accumulated under the central agitator.
  • The group was shocked at how much grime could be hidden inside an apparently clean machine.

Washing machines are one of the most commonly used appliances in our homes. They can make our lives much easier by doing our laundry for us. But, like any appliance, they can also accumulate dirt and grime over time. This can lead to decreased performance and even breakdowns.

That's why it's important to regularly check your washing machine and clean it when needed. By doing so, you can keep it running efficiently for many years to come.

Have you cleaned the machine inside before? And if so, how often do you clean it? Better yet, do you have tips on how to clean them? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
We all know that our clothes need to be washed frequently, but how often do we actually think about cleaning the washing machine itself?

Most of us probably just assume that as long as we're using laundry detergent, our machine will stay clean on the inside. Unfortunately, that's not always the case – and one woman recently discovered just how dirty her washing machine really was.

In a popular Facebook group dedicated to cleaning, one woman shared multiple images of the gunk and debris that she got out of her supposedly clean machine.

She wrote in her post: 'So I found today how easy it is to take the agitator out of the second-hand machine we were given.'

'This is your spring cleaning reminder that even washing machine cleaner isn't always enough. We've put multiple washing machine cleaners through this machine when we were given it.'

The member of the Facebook group revealed what she had learned about the filth that can accumulate in your washing machine. Credit: Facebook.

She continued by telling the other group members that she had cleaned the machine using a combination of dishwashing liquid, bleach, and an old sponge and scrub brush.

'I popped straight bleach into the worst parts and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes while I cleaned the agitator. That was probably my saving grace,' the lady shared.

The mother also disclosed to the group that she constantly cleans the fabric softener container in addition to using a washing machine cleanser daily.

She wrote in the comments: 'I clean the fabric softener part about every fourth wash (just rinse in hot water) as it's always slimy.'

Most of the members were left in utter disbelief after discovering how much grime could be hiding in their machines, which look completely spotless.

One person took the woman’s advice and checked her machine, and she was left gobsmacked at the grime inside.

'Okay so I just saw this post and thought I’ll check mine as I have never done it and oh my gosh, absolutely disgusting,' they exclaimed.

Another said: 'It’s gross how revolting they get for a machine that’s built to clean.'

Another user mentioned that fabric softeners and detergents might cause slime and filth to accumulate throughout the whole drum of the machine. Credit: Facebook.

Other members weren’t surprised by the mum’s tip, as there are other areas on the machine that collects grime, aside from the agitator.

One woman shared pictures of her washing machine’s drum before and after cleaning, revealing how much gunk builds up around the edge.

Key Takeaways

• A good washing machine is a necessity but while we use it to clean our clothes multiple times a week, have you put much thought into how clean the machine is itself?
  • One woman who has a top loader machine shared with her Facebook cleaning group just how much gunk had accumulated under the central agitator.
  • The group was shocked at how much grime could be hidden inside an apparently clean machine.

Washing machines are one of the most commonly used appliances in our homes. They can make our lives much easier by doing our laundry for us. But, like any appliance, they can also accumulate dirt and grime over time. This can lead to decreased performance and even breakdowns.

That's why it's important to regularly check your washing machine and clean it when needed. By doing so, you can keep it running efficiently for many years to come.

Have you cleaned the machine inside before? And if so, how often do you clean it? Better yet, do you have tips on how to clean them? Let us know in the comments below.
How do you get the agitator out, Ive tried lifting it out , it wont budge.

Key Takeaways

When I do a load of washing I always leave the top open for a few hours to allow the inside to dry out to hopefully stop any bacteria ect. breeding in the machine I always add disinfectant to every load. In my opinion it is a must to allow the machine to dry out, while it is dark and damp who knows what is going on inside the machine.
I have a top loading machine.

My aging Fisher Paykel washing machine has a self-clean function, which alerts you after every 100 washes that it needs the cleaning cycle to be run.

Apart from that, the space under the bowl can still accumulate grime and dirt and needs to be checked and cleaned manually from time to time.

Reactions: Ezzy
With dirty clothes I soak them in Napi San powder and water for a day or two in bucket. When I wash them I drain the napisan water from the clothes add only clothes to the machine then add Bio Zet and white vinegar. The clothes look and smell great. The machine lint collection is clear as well in a new machine. The vinegar and bio zet are great. I have used them for 46 yrs. My old washing machine still washes clothes great, it is 46yrs old too. I do clean and wipe and dry both machines. Leave the lid open to dry areas you can't get to.

Key Takeaways

Oh I clean mine once a month with tablets .Put it on at 60 Degrees +and put it through a wash cycle.I no longer use fabric softener but use antibacterial in final rinse.
I have been cleaning my machine monthly for years.
My washer is a UK one that we brought when we moved back to Australia 9 years ago!! Well now only two of us and occasionally grandies come for a week or so.

Reactions: Ezzy

Key Takeaways

I think fabric softer is the main culprit for horrible slimy parts in the machine. I don’t use it at all and my machine is very clean even when I open everything up.

Take the softener part out of the top of the agitator.
Reach down inside the agitator and you will feel a handle. Turn it anti-clockwise and it will unscrew.
The agitator will then just lift out.
Cant check my machine at the moment as its in use but inside the agitator is the filter which i keep clean but haven't seen any way to remove the agitator. 🤔

Reactions: Ezzy and Janet g
Cant check my machine at the moment as its in use but inside the agitator is the filter which i keep clean but haven't seen any way to remove the agitator. 🤔
Same here but just doing a full wash with calcium lime scale remover i
just checked yuk there’s bits a of black stuff in there mmmm

Reactions: Kgee
Just had to buy a new washer after 40 + years & 4 children. The old one, a top loader has an agitator with a bolt inside this at a depth of approx 45 cm ( the depth of the agitator). Loosening this to remove the agitator would take an extension bar approx 60 cm long. The new machine has no agitator therefore has room for more clothes in a wash. My sure what can be removed for cleaning here.

Reactions: Kgee

Key Takeaways

I place an Aldi dishwasher tablet in my front load washing machine and run a hot cycle. My machine is spotless. No grime on the rubbers or anything!

Reactions: Ezzy and Bclay