Are these genuinely made in Australia? Shoppers petition for new label to identify homegrown products

Australians take pride in supporting local businesses and products.

The 'Australian Made' logo has long been a symbol of national pride, assuring shoppers that they are purchasing goods produced on Aussie soil.

However, a mum sparked a conversation that could lead to a significant shift in how people view and choose the products they buy.

Brisbane mum Alli Lark called for a new label that should specifically indicate 'Australian Owned' products.

It's a distinction that might seem subtle, but it has profound implications for the Australian economy and consumer awareness.

While the current logo is helpful, it only tells a part of the story about where the shoppers' money is going.

images.png
The 'Australian Made' logo should identify products produced in The Land Down Under. Image Credit: Australian Manufacturing Forum

The logo, consisting of a green triangle with a kangaroo, should signify that a product has been substantially grown or produced in The Land Down Under.

'To be honest, I was always under the impression that the little green triangle with the kangaroo, I thought it was both made and owned,' Ms Lark pointed out.

'But that doesn't necessarily mean it is Australian-owned. It might be based here but not owned by Australians.'

Some of the country's products, while manufactured in Australia, are owned by foreign entities.

Tim Tams was recently acquired by a private American firm, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts.

Swiss conglomerate Nestle owns Uncle Tobys, and Bundaberg Rum is under the control of Diageo, the British company behind Johnnie Walker.

Research conducted by Pure Profile indicated that Australian consumers have been increasingly concerned about a product's 'country of ownership'.

About 73 per cent of respondents want ownership information to be included on all food labels.

This growing consciousness reflected the consumers' need for transparency and to see if they have been contributing to the Australian economy.

The survey also revealed that 30 per cent of shoppers increased their support for Australian brands and products over the past two years.

About 67 per cent of these shoppers have been buying Australian-made goods.
This trend underscored the importance of clear labelling and the potential impact of an 'Australian Owned' label on consumer behaviour.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) allowed businesses to label their products as 'Australian Owned'.

However, according to Norco Chief Executive Michael Hampson, there still needs to be more clarity among consumers.

'I would like the government to seriously consider the benefits of country-of-ownership labelling in order to remove the confusion and deception in the marketplace,' Mr Hampson stated.

'Ensure that 100 per cent Australian beneficial ownership is clear for consumers so that they can make fully informed choices.'

The difference between 'authentically Australian' brands and foreign-owned companies using the 'Australian Made' label is significant.

When a business is 100 per cent Australian, the profits remain within the country and support local jobs and the economy.

Alli Lark suggested that products should have two distinct stamps.

One stamp should show if a product is made in Australia, while a new one should indicate if a product is created and owned by Australians.

This visual cue could be a boon for busy shoppers who want to identify products that support the Australian economy in every way.
Key Takeaways

• Brisbane mum Alli Lark started advocating for an 'Australian Owned' label to differentiate from the 'Australian Made' logo.
  • The ACCC stated that for a product to be called Australian Made, it must be substantially grown or produced in the country. However, this does not guarantee Australian ownership.
  • Recent market research suggested that Australian consumers want ownership information and believe it's crucial to support Australian-owned businesses.
  • Norco Australia's chief executive called for government intervention to reduce confusion over country-of-ownership labelling so consumers could make informed choices.
Would you prefer to see an 'Australian Owned' label on products? How important is it for you to know that your purchase supports fellow Aussies? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I spend quite a bit of time trying to work out what's Australian, how much is Australian product and who owns it, it sure is an eye opener, Coles are making it harder to find true Aussie Owned/made product with taking so many brands off their shelves, now I buy Greens as I believe it's an Australian product but they are getting a smaller and smaller space in the shop, once upon a time so many things were Australian made and owned but we have only ourselves to blame as we have outpriced ourselves, now it's cheaper for things to be made overseas.........sad but true

I spend quite a bit of time trying to work out what's Australian, how much is Australian product and who owns it, it sure is an eye opener, Coles are making it harder to find true Aussie Owned/made product with taking so many brands off their shelves, now I buy Greens as I believe it's an Australian product but they are getting a smaller and smaller space in the shop, once upon a time so many things were Australian made and owned but we have only ourselves to blame as we have outpriced ourselves, now it's cheaper for things to be made overseas.........sad but true
Sadly, it's been like that for a very long time. :confused:

I would be surprised if there are many of our iconic Australian brands still owned by Australian companies. While the products might still be made in Australia the end profits are going offshore. I always try to buy Australian products, but with food I find more and more of the ingredients are imported, even when it states made in Australia on the label.

I’m almost in shock when I actually find something that is really made here. It’s so sad that almost every Aussie company have been sold off, and a lot of our large farms as well. I try & support Aussie made where possible but it’s so hard. I can remember when Launceston used to have quite a few manufacturers but they’ve all closed. I used to love shopping at their outlet stores, heaps of fabric & wool. We still have Waverley woollen mill operating on a small scale. It’s all rather sad.

• Sad
Reactions: mOiOz
Yes I think Allie Lark's idea for another label is a great one. I have always tried to buy food and products with the Kangaroo label and like a lot of people thought this showed they were in fact both manufactured and owned by Aussie's. I also subscribe to the BUY AUSTRALIAN magazine (free) online that helps keep me up to date with what is currently new on the market.

Reactions: PattiB
Yes I think Allie Lark's idea for another label is a great one. I have always tried to buy food and products with the Kangaroo label and like a lot of people thought this showed they were in fact both manufactured and owned by Aussie's. I also subscribe to the BUY AUSTRALIAN magazine (free) online that helps keep me up to date with what is currently new on the market.
I didn’t know about the magazine, I must subscribe. I buy Cannivale towels as they are an Australian firm with an Australian made product & they have great sales.

Reactions: Valcelt44
I didn’t know about the magazine, I must subscribe. I buy Cannivale towels as they are an Australian firm with an Australian made product & they have great sales.
Canningvale has been one of my favourite companies for many years. I find the quality of their towels and sheets are second to none and have recommended them to friends during that time. I look forward to their sales.

• Love
2014 Almost all Australia Owned /made products were no more, most Australian made / owned products were made purely for Export, The number of local companies producing enough for whole of Australia to see in supermarkets, is mostly non existent.
Big one here is Aldi, 95% of everything in Aldi is made overseas and 100%sold through Aldi is 100% profit goes to Germany, Bros, yet how many buy in Aldi, just to see your money go offshore? at least Woolworths and Coles, IGA stores are pouring money back into Australian farmers and education, Why doesn't the ACCC do a complete investigation into Aldi's operations in Oz, force them to provide yearly balance sheets to Australian Tax office.