Are these fees draining your bank account? MP scrutinises major banks for 'sneaky' surcharges

In the age of digital transactions, the convenience of a simple tap or swipe has become second nature.

However, it's easy to overlook the small deductions that chip away at customers' savings.

What if those minor charges were not so minor after all?

Commonwealth Bank and Westpac recently faced criticism for 'sneaky charges' on card transactions.

These surcharges have cost Australians a staggering $4 billion a year.

Labor MP Jerome Laxale, who represented the Sydney seat of Bennelong, brought the issue into the spotlight.

compressed-card payments.jpeg
Card payments, including tap-to-go payments, incur small charges per transaction that could total up to a hundred dollars per year. Image Credit: Pexels/Energepic

MP Laxale took a stand against the surcharges imposed on businesses for card technology use, as these costs inevitably trickle down to consumers.

'We are in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis. Consumers are being charged blended rates, 1.1 per cent to 1.6 per cent, and it all adds up,' MP Laxale pointed out.

'To consumers, that's around $140 a year.'

'Cash is down to 30 per cent, and debit is the new cash. Why is it that we are still paying increasingly exorbitant fees every time that we present our card or we tap?' he further asked.

MP Laxale's petition, preceded by the Reserve Bank of Australia's (RBA) comprehensive review of payment regulations, could abolish these charges.

The petition could also introduce greater transparency in how costs are passed onto consumers.

The RBA's Payments Systems Board started preparing for consultations, and it could reshape digital payments in Australia.

'I want the RBA to do what other reserve banks have done across the world and legislate in favour of small businesses and consumers because the inequity here doesn't make sense anymore,' MP Laxale emphasised.

Earlier this year, Canstar research revealed the extent of the financial burden surcharges placed on Australians.

The results revealed a 6.4 per cent increase from the previous year.

During a parliamentary inquiry, MP Laxale confronted the heads of the big four banks and questioned the justification behind the additional cost of paying items with a debit card.

Westpac's Peter King admitted that the rules were confusing and suggested a review of customer surcharge rates.

Meanwhile, Commonwealth Bank's Matt Comyn challenged the $4 billion figure and highlighted Australia's relatively low debit interchange fees.

The debate over card surcharges is not just about the numbers; it's about the principle.

The question remains whether the lower costs of electronic payments are genuinely benefiting consumers or if they are lining the pockets of financial institutions.

The outcome of the RBA's review could have significant implications for everyone's financial well-being.
Key Takeaways

• Sydney MP Jerome Laxale petitioned to end surcharges on card transactions, which could cost Australians $4 billion a year.
  • He argued that with debit cards being the new payment norm, the rules need to be reviewed, especially during a cost of living crisis.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia's Payments Systems Board started reviewing bank regulations, with a consultation process starting soon.
  • The bosses of Commonwealth Bank and Westpac acknowledged the issue. Westpac's Peter King called the rules 'confusing', and Commonwealth's Matt Comyn shared his scepticism about the $4 billion figure.
Have you noticed these 'sneaky charges' on your bank statements? What could be done to prevent these fees from stacking up? Share your experiences and join the conversation in the comments section below.

Sponsored
We are fed up with extra charges. Every time we use our credit card lately the shops are adding in extra fees. Even for smaller items there is a fee. Why can’t it be stopped. Food is so dear now without having to pay extra. Even Taco Bills who never charged us extra is adding on a fee. It is getting that way we will not be going out to Dinner anymore they are all adding on fees.

We are fed up with extra charges. Every time we use our credit card lately the shops are adding in extra fees. Even for smaller items there is a fee. Why can’t it be stopped. Food is so dear now without having to pay extra. Even Taco Bills who never charged us extra is adding on a fee. It is getting that way we will not be going out to Dinner anymore they are all adding on fees.
The shops can no longer afford to absorb the bank costs and are passing them on to us. So it's not the shops but the banks, that are the culprits. TO avoid these fees PAY BY CASH whenever you can. It's not hard just withdraw what you think you will require for the week and put it in you wallet/purse. This will ultimately cause the banks to review lots of their shitty procedures and may even see the return of local branches over time.

We come back to greedy CEO's who love money at an unbelievable rate of bonus plus there multi million $ salaries per year, then you have the banks pushing for a cashless society then they can charge more for card transaction this is another case of the rich getting richer and the joe blows of this world getting it up the A))S again HOW MUCH MONEY IS ENOUGH given what these CEO's of these banks get ,
Hell if I had half of what they earn in one year in the bank I could like out my days like royalty but that will never happen I would be to busy looking after my children and grandchildren not like those big CEO's that look after them selfs

You can still go out to Dinner - just pay cash or go to a restaurant which doesn't charge the fee. Simple.

The shops can no longer afford to absorb the bank costs and are passing them on to us. So it's not the shops but the banks, that are the culprits. TO avoid these fees PAY BY CASH whenever you can. It's not hard just withdraw what you think you will require for the week and put it in you wallet/purse. This will ultimately cause the banks to review lots of their shitty procedures and may even see the return of local branches over time.
I got caught with these charges recently at my local chemist. There was no sign saying they were now charging an extra fee. That sent me searching for ways to avoid this fee & my next stop was local WW & there I found the same vitamin tabs which I need for my eye condition, for less than I was paying at the discount chemist. Now, when I want something from that chemist I pay cash & make sure that the cost does not lead to me paying extra for round-up fee. I will get extra things I will be needing in the near future so that they pay me as I aim to be in the round-down area.

So they want a cashless society' as the cost involved in handling cash is too high. So they say.
Solution, give us all a card and they can cut down these "cash" expenses.
Better solution, charge everybody a fee for using said cards.
How great for the banks not only do they save on the cost of handling cash, a cost which they had managed to absorb since the year dot, but then charge their customers a fee for saving them money.
What a win/win for the banks.
The system stinks, those in power do nothing about it, while the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I always ask if there is a bank charge..... if so I put my card back in my wallet and leave the store.
Wait till we go cashless.... then the banks will put up the fees and charge whatever they like..... on every transaction. The banks are salivating waiting for the day...this is their way of making millions with no effort.

Why are banks allowed to increase their account keeping fees by 50% with no prior warning to the consumer?
Shouldn't this pay for debit card fees?
Talk about legal extortion!!
Wait till we go cashless.... then the banks will put up the fees and charge whatever they like..... on every transaction. The banks are salivating waiting for the day...this is their way of making millions with no effort.

Reactions: Monks and Senor
It's become absolutely moronic since covid lockdown. Now it's any excuse to charge extra from the banks, groceries, shops, online shopping ... the list is vast. Even when paying cash, items are more expensive.

It's become absolutely moronic since covid lockdown. Now it's any excuse to charge extra from the banks, groceries, shops, online shopping ... the list is vast. Even when paying cash, items are more expensive.

It's not only the banks - it's every time we shop for anything. Prices spiralled over covid lockdown, and the prices haven't dropped since. It will be a shame if no cash, but I'm not convinced it will make any difference with the existing price gouging.

These thieving banks are wanting us to move away from cash because the banks will not make massive profits. There is already a yearly fee for the card plus all the extra charges. Money gabbing mongrels. Stick to cash people, do not let them control us.

only good thing about ANZ is there are NO In House fees once you reach 60. But that still dosn't stop others where you use your card to charge a fee.

• Sad
Reactions: Monks and Jennie
I don't have a credit card, doing well, pay cash and still write cheques, my bank still honours my cheques, don't do business with any shop that doesn't accept cash, definately don't order delivery of junk meals. Still hit hard by increasing cost of groceries, utilities etc. however, don't put money into the banks for nothing, since when do people on a six figure salary, or more, give a crap about anyone of a person on a five figure salary. Some tradies I have dealt with enjoy cash, quotes are cheaper, they can 'hide it', what do you think will happen if cash disappears.... no more cheaper quotes, banks will have a field day...it my be quick, posh-looking to show your card to all around making out you are 'part of the in-crowd,' if happy paying all the fees, which will increase regularly, stop complaining, or do the only thing possible, go back to using cash...remember when the power fails, so do the cards....