Are Supermarkets Now Charging Customers for Cash Withdrawals? Woolworths Responds

Over the past few years, there has been a significant shift in the way we make payments for goods and services.

Our wallets have slowly been shedding the old-fashioned notes and coins and adopting a more digital approach to handling our money.

The COVID-19 pandemic has further driven this online payments revolution. With people avoiding crowded places, many have gravitated to online shopping, pushing businesses to update their platforms with new technologies and forms of payment.

But is this revolution hitting our wallet too hard? That’s what one shopper wanted to know after hearing some serious complaints about Woolworths and BIG W charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.

An angry customer who’d recently attempted to withdraw cash from their local Woolies first made the claim.

'I have just heard that if anybody wants to withdraw cash from a Woolworths self-serve outlet, they are now charging 20 cents,' they wrote.

'It used to be no charge. How greedy can they get!'

'Apparently, if you get cash out during your shopping, it may be fee-free, but if you’re just drawing out cash, I think that is where they charge. Just greed!'

Another user weighed in with a similar experience from their local BIG W store.

But is there any truth to this claim?

1683511888960.png
Claims of Woolworths Group implementing a 20-cent charge on cash withdrawals. Credit: Shutterstock.

Not according to a Woolworths Group spokesperson, who has dismissed the claims as false.

'Our current policy at Woolworths supermarkets and BIG W stores is not to charge our customers for cash withdrawals in store,' the representative said.

This was backed up by a number of other Facebook users, who claimed to have recently withdrawn cash from these stores without being charged the extra 20 cents.

One shopper claimed: ‘Where did you hear that, as I got cash out and was not charged extra.’

It should be noted that this is not the first time shoppers had an issue with card payments. In this article, we discussed how some customers slammed supermarket retailer ALDI for its ‘ageist’ approach to payments.

Key Takeaways
  • Rumors spread that Woolworths and BIG W were charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.
  • An angry customer shared their experience with the alleged fee, but a Woolworths Group spokesperson has dismissed the claims as false.
  • Other customers supported the spokesperson's statement, saying they had not been charged the extra fee when making cash withdrawals.
  • Despite the clarification, it's important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as policies and procedures can change.

So, while it pays to be cautious when withdrawing cash from the self-serving checkout, it appears as though the claims of a ‘greedy’ charge are unfounded.

Regardless, it’s important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as the policies and procedures of businesses can change quite quickly.

Members, did you hear these claims too? If you have ever needed to make cash withdrawals from a self-serve checkout, we’d love to hear all about it in the comments below. How was your experience? Did you encounter any ‘greedy’ charges too? Share your stories in the comments to let us know!

Sponsored
Is this correct?? NAB charging NAB Ciustomers $3 to withdraw their own money from NAB Branches?
That doesn't sound right unless one withdraws cash from their credit card account.

Reactions: Ezzy
My wife and I went to Aldi for a bit of shopping, and it was a good experience for Me.
At the checkout the total bill =$127.94. Plus $0.63cents card fee for swiping.
We have just saved over $37, so why the hell should I /We complain about $0.63cents???
If $0.63 cents is going to kill your shopping maybe the soup kitchen is for you.
Now please use this forum as intended not a whingeing platform you are starting to sound like
MEGHAN MARKLE.

• Haha
Reactions: Jumping Jack Flash
My wife and I went to Aldi for a bit of shopping, and it was a good experience for Me.
At the checkout the total bill =$127.94. Plus $0.63cents card fee for swiping.
We have just saved over $37, so why the hell should I /We complain about $0.63cents???
If $0.63 cents is going to kill your shopping maybe the soup kitchen is for you.
Now please use this forum as intended not a whingeing platform you are starting to sound like
MEGHAN MARKLE.
Only laughing at the reference to Ms. Markle Da Freddo 😉

'An angry customer first made the claim.....' and 'I have heard'. Is this a case of Chinese Whispers or careless whispers?

Good way to start a riot! Good idea for this person to check your facts before making statements like this!!!

How much business would grocery stores lose if they added this fee to cash outs? I am sure this has already been costed into the cost of our groceries.
Don't you members?

Reactions: Milica
Come on, look @ other avenues. From experience I found before I had feet trouble I did my shopping @ Coles & always got ready cash from them, FREE. If I had to pay 20 cents today I'd be thanking them more. 20 cents is a trifle to people like me who now depend on my nephew to assist me with things I can no longer do myself. When you get to my age having been so independent through life, but helping others always, I am not taking easily the way I am living to accept my lot @ the moment. Some unfortunate people never get to my age so I thank God every night how extremely lucky I have been with longevity, having outlived my immediate family. Yes my dear, dear friends, our Club has been such an asset to keep my chin up; my beautiful memories will sustain me, together with my Faith until I am reunited with them all permanently.

Over the past few years, there has been a significant shift in the way we make payments for goods and services.

Our wallets have slowly been shedding the old-fashioned notes and coins and adopting a more digital approach to handling our money.

The COVID-19 pandemic has further driven this online payments revolution. With people avoiding crowded places, many have gravitated to online shopping, pushing businesses to update their platforms with new technologies and forms of payment.

But is this revolution hitting our wallet too hard? That’s what one shopper wanted to know after hearing some serious complaints about Woolworths and BIG W charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.

An angry customer who’d recently attempted to withdraw cash from their local Woolies first made the claim.

'I have just heard that if anybody wants to withdraw cash from a Woolworths self-serve outlet, they are now charging 20 cents,' they wrote.

'Apparently, if you get cash out during your shopping, it may be fee-free, but if you’re just drawing out cash, I think that is where they charge. Just greed!'

View attachment 19255
Claims of Woolworths Group implementing a 20-cent charge on cash withdrawals. Credit: Shutterstock.

Not according to a Woolworths Group spokesperson, who has dismissed the claims as false.

'Our current policy at Woolworths supermarkets and BIG W stores is not to charge our customers for cash withdrawals in store,' the representative said.

This was backed up by a number of other Facebook users, who claimed to have recently withdrawn cash from these stores without being charged the extra 20 cents.

One shopper claimed: ‘Where did you hear that, as I got cash out and was not charged extra.’

It should be noted that this is not the first time shoppers had an issue with card payments. In this article, we discussed how some customers slammed supermarket retailer ALDI for its ‘ageist’ approach to payments.

Key Takeaways

• Rumors spread that Woolworths and BIG W were charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.
  • An angry customer shared their experience with the alleged fee, but a Woolworths Group spokesperson has dismissed the claims as false.
  • Other customers supported the spokesperson's statement, saying they had not been charged the extra fee when making cash withdrawals.
  • Despite the clarification, it's important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as policies and procedures can change.

So, while it pays to be cautious when withdrawing cash from the self-serving checkout, it appears as though the claims of a ‘greedy’ charge are unfounded.

Regardless, it’s important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as the policies and procedures of businesses can change quite quickly.

Members, did you hear these claims too? If you have ever needed to make cash withdrawals from a self-serve checkout, we’d love to hear all about it in the comments below. How was your experience? Did you encounter any ‘greedy’ charges too? Share your stories in the comments to let us know!
I don’t know where the person making the complaint lives but I live in Newcastle and I have never been charged by woollies or big W for a cash withdrawal.

The fee of 20 cents is OK by me. The stores still need to have cash on them and in the tills. It means that they pay for Cash Security delivery vans that employs people, guards and all that goes with that. Remember the days of all the vans being held-up. Now, never as obviously less vans and maybe they attend at night time. Plus, Cash of Premises for insurance purposes. That cost money to add the various types of Cash on Premises (cash in tills, case in safe during opening hours, cash in locked safe, cash in transit).

Plus, 20 cents rather than many having to now cash a bus to & from a bank. So many banks closed down, or drive your car, park it, walk to the bank and get some cash. Maybe get cash and then go over to another bank to pay-off your credit card in full or part, but pay even the minimum amount due because you have to.
I'll add to that, please everyone, pay off your debts including your credit cards and pay it off and $MORE so that it is in credit. You then have to wait until the Period Close Off Date for that month. There is the last date for that month period. Even on that last day you NEVER EVER use the card. You wait even two days more so that it's in the 'new card period' and they state $In credit. You also need to 'ensure' that you go in and pay every cent due plus $A GREAT DEAL MORE before the close-off period date so that $IN DEBIT & PAYING INTEREST on the card does not go over to the next month. If this happens, you are $Paying interest for another full card month. Even on new purchases.

If you have Council rates and they are due, better to leave these for 1-3 months and pay off the credit card with interest rates of 19% or more. The interest rates on rates are 9%. Some still less than that. That's far better than 19% interest rates on a card. Plus, the council rates can only charge interest on the rates due for that period and not the total.

The fee of 20 cents is OK by me. The stores still need to have cash on them and in the tills. It means that they pay for Cash Security delivery vans that employs people, guards and all that goes with that. Remember the days of all the vans being held-up. Now, never as obviously less vans and maybe they attend at night time. Plus, Cash of Premises for insurance purposes. That cost money to add the various types of Cash on Premises (cash in tills, case in safe during opening hours, cash in locked safe, cash in transit).

Plus, 20 cents rather than many having to now cash a bus to & from a bank. So many banks closed down, or drive your car, park it, walk to the bank and get some cash. Maybe get cash and then go over to another bank to pay-off your credit card in full or part, but pay even the minimum amount due because you have to.
I'll add to that, please everyone, pay off your debts including your credit cards and pay it off and $MORE so that it is in credit. You then have to wait until the Period Close Off Date for that month. There is the last date for that month period. Even on that last day you NEVER EVER use the card. You wait even two days more so that it's in the 'new card period' and they state $In credit. You also need to 'ensure' that you go in and pay every cent due plus $A GREAT DEAL MORE before the close-off period date so that $IN DEBIT & PAYING INTEREST on the card does not go over to the next month. If this happens, you are $Paying interest for another full card month. Even on new purchases.

If you have Council rates and they are due, better to leave these for 1-3 months and pay off the credit card with interest rates of 19% or more. The interest rates on rates are 9%. Some still less than that. That's far better than 19% interest rates on a card. Plus, the council rates can only charge interest on the rates due for that period and not the total. Getting back to the 20 fees from the grocery stores to get some needed cash. That's OK by me.

I don't shop at Woolworths, but I sometimes withdraw cash at Coles, Kmart and Aldi. There are no fees attached.

Speaking of Aldi, it's important to remember to INSERT the card and select Savings, instead of swiping it as Aldi has a fee for credit transactions but not savings.
I found that out also, but now no charge at my Aldi if you do swipe the card. On my receipt it states debit card, don't know if they are all like this now. I tested it with a small transaction initially. Paywave has always been considered as a credit transaction.

View attachment 19255

Key Takeaways

Even if the charge was $0.20 it is a lot less that $2.50 or $3.00 charged at many ATMs.

• Love
Reactions: Defiant540 and Ezzy
Woolies don’t charge for cash outs. Aldi charge if you tap your card so insert it to avoid the fee!
More importantly though, Woolies and Coles as well as Aldi are putting their prices up quite regularly now using silly excuses like supply, but can you explain why these supermarkets have increased their profits to record levels in the first 6 months of trading?

Woolies don’t charge for cash outs. Aldi charge if you tap your card so insert it to avoid the fee!
More importantly though, Woolies and Coles as well as Aldi are putting their prices up quite regularly now using silly excuses like supply, but can you explain why these supermarkets have increased their profits to record levels in the first 6 months of trading?
their Italian diced tomatoes have gone from $0.69 to $0.79 to $1.19 in a year - daylight robbery

their Italian diced tomatoes have gone from $0.69 to $0.79 to $1.19 in a year - daylight robbery
Aildi charges 0.065% on all card purchases. I pay cash for everything but there is a catch there too "rounding" - there is no escape.