Are Supermarkets Now Charging Customers for Cash Withdrawals? Woolworths Responds

Over the past few years, there has been a significant shift in the way we make payments for goods and services.

Our wallets have slowly been shedding the old-fashioned notes and coins and adopting a more digital approach to handling our money.

The COVID-19 pandemic has further driven this online payments revolution. With people avoiding crowded places, many have gravitated to online shopping, pushing businesses to update their platforms with new technologies and forms of payment.

But is this revolution hitting our wallet too hard? That’s what one shopper wanted to know after hearing some serious complaints about Woolworths and BIG W charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.

An angry customer who’d recently attempted to withdraw cash from their local Woolies first made the claim.

'I have just heard that if anybody wants to withdraw cash from a Woolworths self-serve outlet, they are now charging 20 cents,' they wrote.

'It used to be no charge. How greedy can they get!'

'Apparently, if you get cash out during your shopping, it may be fee-free, but if you’re just drawing out cash, I think that is where they charge. Just greed!'

Another user weighed in with a similar experience from their local BIG W store.

But is there any truth to this claim?

1683511888960.png
Claims of Woolworths Group implementing a 20-cent charge on cash withdrawals. Credit: Shutterstock.

Not according to a Woolworths Group spokesperson, who has dismissed the claims as false.

'Our current policy at Woolworths supermarkets and BIG W stores is not to charge our customers for cash withdrawals in store,' the representative said.

This was backed up by a number of other Facebook users, who claimed to have recently withdrawn cash from these stores without being charged the extra 20 cents.

One shopper claimed: ‘Where did you hear that, as I got cash out and was not charged extra.’

It should be noted that this is not the first time shoppers had an issue with card payments. In this article, we discussed how some customers slammed supermarket retailer ALDI for its ‘ageist’ approach to payments.

Key Takeaways
  • Rumors spread that Woolworths and BIG W were charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.
  • An angry customer shared their experience with the alleged fee, but a Woolworths Group spokesperson has dismissed the claims as false.
  • Other customers supported the spokesperson's statement, saying they had not been charged the extra fee when making cash withdrawals.
  • Despite the clarification, it's important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as policies and procedures can change.

So, while it pays to be cautious when withdrawing cash from the self-serving checkout, it appears as though the claims of a ‘greedy’ charge are unfounded.

Regardless, it’s important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as the policies and procedures of businesses can change quite quickly.

Members, did you hear these claims too? If you have ever needed to make cash withdrawals from a self-serve checkout, we’d love to hear all about it in the comments below. How was your experience? Did you encounter any ‘greedy’ charges too? Share your stories in the comments to let us know!

Sponsored
Over the past few years, there has been a significant shift in the way we make payments for goods and services.

Our wallets have slowly been shedding the old-fashioned notes and coins and adopting a more digital approach to handling our money.

The COVID-19 pandemic has further driven this online payments revolution. With people avoiding crowded places, many have gravitated to online shopping, pushing businesses to update their platforms with new technologies and forms of payment.

But is this revolution hitting our wallet too hard? That’s what one shopper wanted to know after hearing some serious complaints about Woolworths and BIG W charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.

An angry customer who’d recently attempted to withdraw cash from their local Woolies first made the claim.

'I have just heard that if anybody wants to withdraw cash from a Woolworths self-serve outlet, they are now charging 20 cents,' they wrote.

'Apparently, if you get cash out during your shopping, it may be fee-free, but if you’re just drawing out cash, I think that is where they charge. Just greed!'

View attachment 19255
Claims of Woolworths Group implementing a 20-cent charge on cash withdrawals. Credit: Shutterstock.

Not according to a Woolworths Group spokesperson, who has dismissed the claims as false.

'Our current policy at Woolworths supermarkets and BIG W stores is not to charge our customers for cash withdrawals in store,' the representative said.

This was backed up by a number of other Facebook users, who claimed to have recently withdrawn cash from these stores without being charged the extra 20 cents.

One shopper claimed: ‘Where did you hear that, as I got cash out and was not charged extra.’

It should be noted that this is not the first time shoppers had an issue with card payments. In this article, we discussed how some customers slammed supermarket retailer ALDI for its ‘ageist’ approach to payments.

Key Takeaways

• Rumors spread that Woolworths and BIG W were charging customers a 20-cent fee for cash withdrawals at their self-serve checkouts.
  • An angry customer shared their experience with the alleged fee, but a Woolworths Group spokesperson has dismissed the claims as false.
  • Other customers supported the spokesperson's statement, saying they had not been charged the extra fee when making cash withdrawals.
  • Despite the clarification, it's important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as policies and procedures can change.

So, while it pays to be cautious when withdrawing cash from the self-serving checkout, it appears as though the claims of a ‘greedy’ charge are unfounded.

Regardless, it’s important to remain vigilant regarding cash withdrawals and store fees, as the policies and procedures of businesses can change quite quickly.

Members, did you hear these claims too? If you have ever needed to make cash withdrawals from a self-serve checkout, we’d love to hear all about it in the comments below. How was your experience? Did you encounter any ‘greedy’ charges too? Share your stories in the comments to let us know!
Well seeing as it is hard to find banks and I won’t use automatic tellers due to the various risks, Woolies is my go to for cash!

View attachment 19255

Key Takeaways

I hadn’t heard about this at all. In fact I wondered if there was a fee when people ask for a cash withdrawal. As there is no compatible ATM (no fee for me) in the suburb I live in I was pleased to hear that Woolworths don’t charge a fee when you purchase groceries & withdraw cash. The Auto teller in the shopping centre charges A whopping $2.80 for withdrawals!

I have n
I hadn’t heard about this at all. In fact I wondered if there was a fee when people ask for a cash withdrawal. As there is no compatible ATM (no fee for me) in the suburb I live in I was pleased to hear that Woolworths don’t charge a fee when you purchase groceries & withdraw cash. The Auto teller in the shopping centre charges A whopping $2.80 for withdrawals!
never been charged for a cash withdrawal at Woolies, and if you don't like paying the card fee at Aldi, then it's quite simple, pay cash.

View attachment 19255

Key Takeaways

Only 20 cents, NAB are charging $3.00

I don't shop at Woolworths, but I sometimes withdraw cash at Coles, Kmart and Aldi. There are no fees attached.

Speaking of Aldi, it's important to remember to INSERT the card and select Savings, instead of swiping it as Aldi has a fee for credit transactions but not savings.

I don't shop at Woolworths, but I sometimes withdraw cash at Coles, Kmart and Aldi. There are no fees attached.

Speaking of Aldi, it's important to remember to INSERT the card and select Savings, instead of swiping it as Aldi has a fee for credit transactions but not savings.
Thank you, I didn't know that.

It is true that these big stores are all about profit, but it is not a known fact that these companies pay 'Armourguard' to supply and collect monies to them. This is a charged service that costs the companies quite a lot each year. The change machines alone cost in the millions to supply. I am not justifying charges, but just noting that everything these days has a fee. And I dont believe that Woolies or Coles charge for this service.

I have the same problem where I live. No banks anymore, ATM's cost to withdraw my own money. Thank heavens for Woolies and Coles. It's ridiculous that Banks have taken away the ATM's that we used to have here where we could access with no fee, these have been replaced with private ones that do.

View attachment 19255

Key Takeaways

I've withdrawn cash at Woolies quite a few times over the years (to avoid the ATM $2.50 fee), but I have never been charged a withdrawal fee. These were predominantly stand-alone transactions at the customer desk.

It costs money for the shop to put money in the machine so 20 cents is nothing compared to the banks.
This cost is part of the overheads of the business, like rent, lightening, refrigeration, trolley maintenance (not that this happens), etc, etc. and the cost is minimal when you consider the amount of money people are spending for their groceries.

The fact that Coles, Kmart, Target, Woolworth and Big W allow you to withdraw cash without making a purchase, creates goodwill and, given the strong competition between supermarkets, this goodwill goes further than tv ads and the weekly catalogues. It is also a lot cheaper as very few people actually use the cash-out facility.