Are supermarket watermelon prices a rip-off?

Summer is here, and you know what that means… Watermelon season! This delicious and refreshing fruit is the perfect way to enjoy the warm weather, whether you're eating it as-is or using it in smoothies, salads or other dishes.

But as any savvy shopper knows, prices for seasonal produce can fluctuate a lot depending on supply and demand. And with Aussies going crazy for watermelons at this time of year, we've noticed that their price tags have been skyrocketing as well.

One mum took to Woolworths' Facebook page this week to express her disappointment over the cost of a quarter watermelon for $8.58 and a whole one for $34.32 – which she says is making her take her grocery shopping elsewhere from now on.

Sadly, it doesn't get any better at Coles either – with a similar-sized quarter setting customers back $7.76 while a whole melon will put you out of pocket by $31.20 (prices are calculated based on price per kilogram). Ouch!

So, what gives? Is our favourite supermarket ripping us off? Or are there other factors at play here? Let's take a closer look…

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 11.41.16 AM.png
There is a chance that watermelon costs will go down shortly, but for now, they are unusually high. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

The cost of watermelons

As you may have guessed, the cost of watermelons at Woolies and Coles is directly linked to the price farmers receive for their produce, which can be affected by many different things like the weather, global market prices, and the time of year.

Right now, we're in the early stages of watermelon season (which runs from December to May), and unfortunately, the season has gotten off to a bit of a rocky start due to wet growing conditions. This has resulted in a reduced supply of watermelons, driving prices up as supermarkets compete for the limited amount of fresh melons available.

Fortunately, our farmers have told us that they've got a great crop on the way just in time for Christmas, so our customers can expect to see an improvement in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, we recommend that you head down to your local fruit and veg shop to see if you can snag a watermelon for a better price. Or, if you're patient enough to wait a few more weeks, you may be able to find one at a lower cost once watermelon season is in full swing.

It's also important to remember that both Woolworths and Coles are committed to providing quality Australian fruit and vegetables to their customers at a great value – and when in-season produce is in high supply, they work hard to pass those savings on to shoppers.

So although the cost of watermelons is high right now, it's only temporary, and you can rest assured that as soon as prices drop, the supermarket prices will too.
Key Takeaways

• A customer shared her frustration on social media after discovering that the price for a typical watermelon at Woolworths and Coles is more than $30.
  • The start of the watermelon season has been hampered by rainy growing conditions, resulting in less availability and higher pricing in supermarkets.
  • Farmers say they're expecting a bumper harvest just in time for summer, which means shoppers may anticipate a price drop in the coming weeks.
So, there you have it: the truth behind the high cost of watermelons at our supermarkets. We hope this puts your mind at ease, and in the meantime, we recommend that you buy in bulk or wait a few weeks until prices drop. Happy shopping!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: Liz, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I've been buying watermelon each week . I've been paying $5 for a piece supposed to be 1/4 of a melon at coles. I needed to do a shop at woolies as coles had no potatoes or broccoli and went to buy another piece of watermelon until I saw for the same size piece I purchased from Coles was nearly $9 at woolies

If you have to ask if the supermarkets are ripping us off, you shouldn't be doing the shopping.

Next time that you are in one of the supermarkets have a look at the prices being charged for pet snacks and pet food. $17 for a packet of snacks for a dog is just over the top and is causing more people to relinquish their pets to a shelter. It comes down to "do I feed the dog or do I feed myself and family". This in turn causes problems and splits within the family. It all comes down to one word GREED.

The supermarkets have a lot to answer for and change will only come if shoppers stand up and say We aren't going to take it anymore.

Local person advertised on local community page whole watermelons $5 each some ppl don't need to gouge, mind you there will be people who will buy it at any price.
Personally I find the pogo stick pricing (jumps up and down) of tomatoes such a rort that until they get back down to sensible limits they're off the menu esp. with a lot of fruit they are stored and thawed stuff that were picked when prices were low but only bought out during shortages for huge markups

we'll see more of this as we get told certain fruits and vegies are not available due to recent weather events. and the stuff they have on sale is imported and higher priced

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
I stopped buying Watermelon, a few weeks ago I was buying a sizeable chunk for $5, the same size piece last week was $9. I love my watermelon but I'm not in the habit of being taken to the cleaners so I left it on the shelf. :(

Reactions: Jennie and Penny4
I buy seasonal and since my fridge space is limited, watermelons don’t get a look in and neither to the other melons as a rule. However, I notice that the local fresh produce market in Cairns, Rustys’s is no better in price than Coles or Woolies and often the quality is not up to par, since the stuff sits outside in the heat from Thursday when they start setting up.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Summer is here, and you know what that means… Watermelon season! This delicious and refreshing fruit is the perfect way to enjoy the warm weather, whether you're eating it as-is or using it in smoothies, salads or other dishes.

But as any savvy shopper knows, prices for seasonal produce can fluctuate a lot depending on supply and demand. And with Aussies going crazy for watermelons at this time of year, we've noticed that their price tags have been skyrocketing as well.

One mum took to Woolworths' Facebook page this week to express her disappointment over the cost of a quarter watermelon for $8.58 and a whole one for $34.32 – which she says is making her take her grocery shopping elsewhere from now on.

Sadly, it doesn't get any better at Coles either – with a similar-sized quarter setting customers back $7.76 while a whole melon will put you out of pocket by $31.20 (prices are calculated based on price per kilogram). Ouch!

So, what gives? Is our favourite supermarket ripping us off? Or are there other factors at play here? Let's take a closer look…

View attachment 9859
There is a chance that watermelon costs will go down shortly, but for now, they are unusually high. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

The cost of watermelons

As you may have guessed, the cost of watermelons at Woolies and Coles is directly linked to the price farmers receive for their produce, which can be affected by many different things like the weather, global market prices, and the time of year.

Right now, we're in the early stages of watermelon season (which runs from December to May), and unfortunately, the season has gotten off to a bit of a rocky start due to wet growing conditions. This has resulted in a reduced supply of watermelons, driving prices up as supermarkets compete for the limited amount of fresh melons available.

Fortunately, our farmers have told us that they've got a great crop on the way just in time for Christmas, so our customers can expect to see an improvement in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, we recommend that you head down to your local fruit and veg shop to see if you can snag a watermelon for a better price. Or, if you're patient enough to wait a few more weeks, you may be able to find one at a lower cost once watermelon season is in full swing.

It's also important to remember that both Woolworths and Coles are committed to providing quality Australian fruit and vegetables to their customers at a great value – and when in-season produce is in high supply, they work hard to pass those savings on to shoppers.

So although the cost of watermelons is high right now, it's only temporary, and you can rest assured that as soon as prices drop, the supermarket prices will too.
Key Takeaways

• A customer shared her frustration on social media after discovering that the price for a typical watermelon at Woolworths and Coles is more than $30.
  • The start of the watermelon season has been hampered by rainy growing conditions, resulting in less availability and higher pricing in supermarkets.
  • Farmers say they're expecting a bumper harvest just in time for summer, which means shoppers may anticipate a price drop in the coming weeks.
So, there you have it: the truth behind the high cost of watermelons at our supermarkets. We hope this puts your mind at ease, and in the meantime, we recommend that you buy in bulk or wait a few weeks until prices drop. Happy shopping!

View attachment 9859

The cost of watermelons

Key Takeaways

My greengrocer said they are paying $10+ at the markets before they even get them back to their fruitshop .
He had several he found that he had to quarter because they were slightly water damaged and took a loss on his purchase.

Reactions: Ricci
As a farmer, Coles And Woolies may be charging the customers exorbitant prices but I can tell you for a fact, the farmer is not getting that price per kilo back to them. Coles & Woolies set the price, they will give the farmer which is considerably lower per bin. (for melons) :mad:The farmer will then sign a contract at that price and he will supply to the retailer at that set price.. Don’t be fooled the big retails call the shots

As a farmer, Coles And Woolies may be charging the customers exorbitant prices but I can tell you for a fact, the farmer is not getting that price per kilo back to them. Coles & Woolies set the price, they will give the farmer which is considerably lower per bin. (for melons) :mad:The farmer will then sign a contract at that price and he will supply to the retailer at that set price.. Don’t be fooled the big retails call the shots
We're not fooled. Shocking for hard working farmers. 🫤