SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
LainieM

LainieM

May 21, 2023
Are older people considered easy targets?

At 74 years of age and having worked until after my 74th birthday I really don't consider myself old - although my three lovely children tell me I am. I would like to share a couple of unfortunate events with you.

Last winter our gas log fire "failed" at the same time as our central heating system was on the blink. My husband greatly feels the cold so I contacted Metropolitan Plumbing in Melbourne to provide a service. A representative attended that day and assured us they could rapidly effect the required repairs; however such repairs would cost us $2,500. Given that my husband was so very cold I agreed to have this work done. A technician attended the very next day and proceeded to pull the heater apart. I had an appointment I had to attend so advised him I was going out however my husband would remain at home with him whilst he worked. The technician insisted that I pay the $2500 account prior to leaving the house and was most anxious to receive a "print out" receipt from my bank before I left the house. Upon return home my husband was still sitting in the cold and the technician had left. Husband advised me that the technician had advised that a new part was required and would cost us a further $2,500. Mmmmmm... at that point i began to smell a rat. I immediately contacted the manufacturers who I had not been able to contact previously (they had changed their servicing arrangements but this time I contacted their sales office). The representative I spoke to me advised that the fees being requested from us where exorbitant and, when I mentioned the company we had been dealing with, he informed me that the company were scammers and had actually been on A Current Affair. He gave me the contact details of a genuine service person. Of course I was absolutely furious. Fortunately I bank Commonwealth and the payment had been made per electronic funds transfer. I contacted the Com Bank the very next morning and was advised that, when new payments of a large amount were authorised online, they adctually held these payments over until they had been able to make relevant checks of the recipient. Bless the Com Bank because I was immediately able to cancel the initial payment and the funds were then re-credited to my account. I then contact Metropolitan Plumbing and advised them that I had cancelled their initial payment and would not be dealing with them again. I had a copy of their first "work order" and went through this with them detailing that they had clearly NOT completed any of the work. 12 months down the track I am still receiving threatening letters from them; the latest threatening to put a collections agency on to us. I am still steadfastly ignoring them. By the way, I have since been advised that they also trade under the name of Mr Emergency. DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH EITHER OF THESE COMPANIES!

Well, you'd think I would have learned after that incident. My husband's health is progressively deteriorating - hence my decision to retire late last year. He was having many falls and I would phone home before leaving the office and, when he didn't answer the phone, I would race home wondering where he had fallen. Finally, in desperation I began searching for a personal alarm watch which would notify me if he had a fall. Having worked for 18 years as a Case Manager for people in receipt of HomeCare Packages I was very aware of the range however, also, the high cost of these items. I finally purchased a Medical Alert watch for the Elderly through Personal Alarms Australia. This was purchased in early May when their website was advertising a "sale" price of $299. The watch duly arrived and (1) I found it nearly impossible to program (2) when my husband had a "fall" I was right next to him and, whilst a very soft alarm sounded in the room, there was no contact with my phone (3) The watch did not retain its charge overnight. I contacted Personal Alarms Australia and was provided some inadequate instruction for further programming and, with regard to its failure to hold a charge, I was told they would contact their technical department to assist me. This never happened and I subsequently sent the watch back to them. After mailing the watch back to them I scrolled through their website and noted that "returns need to be approved" and, if sent back to them without approval the item would be returned to the sender. I then emailed them to advise that I had already sent the watch back to them. Australia Post tracking clearly shows that they have received the returned item however, since that time they have NOT replied to any of my emails, have NOT telephoned me despite repeated requests, and have NOT refunded my $299. The watch is still advertised as "on sale" and I note that recent reviews have disclosed that others have not been happy with the charging retention of the item. Another Company I would never deal with again. My final comment - although I don't like to admit I am getting old perhaps these lessons are telling me something.

Hi LainieM - I most certainly can relate. I do not believe it is an age thing in your instance, I think they target honest and trusting people. I have had many dishonest trades people over the years - infuriating! I did see the programme about Metropolitan - outrageous crooks! Do they target women...maybe? Almost impossible to protect yourself against these types however I now get at least 3 quotes for any works I need done and have found you have a better chance of gauging what feels right. I have found you should never pay upfront and I won't pay until I am happy with the finished job. I also find giving reviews on their web site usually makes them twitch. So, no, it's not you - it is definitely the way things are these days unfortunately. Keep fighting them to get your money back on the watch - don't give up! Hope you have a win! Good Luck!

Metropolitan shafted me too, got new hoses on my washing machine a few years ago, I told them my taps are back to front, idiot put them on wrong when the hot hose burst, called them, stupid me, got them out only to be charged again. My fault. and let it go I was distraught. learn't my lesson.

Yes we were caught too. Came o Christmas day (no additional charge for public holiday) to fix our ducted air con.... did a service $2500, need a part $2000 more. Part installed. Oh dear it is the circut board $2500. We paid it.
Made sure we told everyone not to use them

It’s not an age thing. The scammers are just getting very clever and daring. We never pay up front. But fortunately living in the country word soon gets around and scammers have no one to scam. My mum (89) in WA needed the hedges trimmed On one side of her driveway. The Gardner charged her $800. (3 villas but no one else paid). We didn’t know until afterwards as we live in SA. Fortunately she now has a new neighbour and he trims the hedge for free.

Your not getting old dear - the scammers are getting better. I use PayPal for all money transactions as I feel like I have some backup if all goes wrong and I have received many a refund for "not as advertised" items. Have had the odd one declined and I learned my lesson. Not all companies are sharks - trouble is we think "from our honest heads" and assume that what is said is genuine. Good luck with it and again - your not getting old - lessons still to learn. Have a great weekend, thanks for the heads up on the Plumbers.

Your not getting old dear - the scammers are getting better. I use PayPal for all money transactions as I feel like I have some backup if all goes wrong and I have received many a refund for "not as advertised" items. Have had the odd one declined and I learned my lesson. Not all companies are sharks - trouble is we think "from our honest heads" and assume that what is said is genuine. Good luck with it and again - your not getting old - lessons still to learn. Have a great weekend, thanks for the heads up on the Plumbers.
Yes I always use PayPal now

Reactions: Abela
Doesn't mean you are getting old. It means there are mongrels out there who do their hardest to take advantage of trusting people.
I'm sorry you lost out on the alarm, but, go girl for sticking it to the shoddy heating scammers.
Hold your head up with pride.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMousey