Are Offcut Meats Worth the Savings? Bargain hunters weigh in

Are you a savvy shopper who loves nothing more than finding a good bargain during their weekly grocery shop?

Then you'll know that the little you save here and there can add up over time, giving you a nice lump sum you can use to treat yourself!

But while saving money is one of our favourite pastimes, no one likes being shortchanged on quality.

This is most obvious regarding your meat selection - you want to ensure you're getting the best bang for your buck.

When the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group members discovered that a Woolworths store was selling Lamb Offcuts at almost $10 less per kilo than Lamb Forequarter Chops, they immediately began discussing the matter.

For the unfamiliar, Lamb Offcuts–as suggested by their name–are off-sized cuts of lamb that supermarkets package as more cost-effective alternatives to premium lamb cuts.

FB resize 12.jpg
A side-by-side comparison of the two meat packets. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts.

One bargain hunter wrote in a post: ‘Check out the lamb offcuts vs forequarter chops…at a Woolies store in WA tonight.’

‘Offcuts only cost $7.65 compared to Lamb Forequarter Chops, which cost $13.75.’

‘Just to clarify - not saying that all lamb offcut packs are like this, this was just 1 pack that I’ve come across in WA and many people in this group have seen them around the country too.’

Members of Markdown Addicts Australia were divided on their thoughts about the quality of Offcuts but generally agreed that it had a few pros and cons.

One person argued that offcut packets are not always reliable, noting that you could get 'random bony bits' in them.

One comment read: ‘The offcuts have too much fat for my liking.’

‘Offcuts are garbage most of the time and usually more bone and fat than meat,’ another wrote.

A third chimed in: ‘Offcuts are exactly what they say they are off (sized) cuts from the animal that they couldn't package as proper cuts e.g the forequarter.’

Despite that, members did share their success with offcuts, particularly when it came to lamb loin chops.

One person shared: ‘Not always bad. Sometimes you can get really good offcut packets. I’ve brought them before and they have hardly any fat on them.’

‘This is awesome! Sometimes offcuts have more fat so I just fry them longer to burn it off. If it’s too much fat though it outweighs the benefits of it being cheaper,’ another suggested.

‘I always marinate them in mint, sugar and olive oil with a big salad. So yum.’

However, there was one other issue that the group faced: when buying directly from the shelf, they pointed out that supermarkets have been known to 'double stack' the chops, making it difficult to determine whether the bottom layer is indeed offcuts or proper forequarter chops.

One person said: ‘The offcuts are hit and miss though, just keep that in mind.’

Key Takeaways
  • Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group members discovered that a Woolworths store was selling Lamb Offcuts at almost $10 less per kilo than Lamb Forequarter Chops, sparking a debate.
  • Members had mixed opinions about the quality and value of Offcuts, with some claiming that they usually contain more bone and fat than meat, while others have had positive experiences with them.
  • Some shoppers shared their tips for making the most out of the offcuts, such as marinating them in mint, sugar and olive oil with a big salad.
  • Bargain hunters agreed that it is crucial to pay close attention to the offcuts when selecting them, as supermarkets have been known to 'double stack' the chops, making it difficult to determine the true contents of the package.

Nevertheless, bargain hunters seemed to prefer offcuts over forequarter chops. Yet, they all agreed that it is necessary to pay close attention when selecting offcuts to ensure that one is not buying a pack of mostly fat, bones and other random unsaleable cuts.

Also, we recommend checking out this article, where we revealed some insider tips from a butcher on how to score more meat products for less money.

So, members, have you bought offcuts in the past, or have you chosen to stick with the more expensive forequarter chops? Please share your stories in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and Liag
Sponsored
Are you a savvy shopper who loves nothing more than finding a good bargain during their weekly grocery shop?

Then you'll know that the little you save here and there can add up over time, giving you a nice lump sum you can use to treat yourself!

But while saving money is one of our favourite pastimes, no one likes being shortchanged on quality.

This is most obvious regarding your meat selection - you want to ensure you're getting the best bang for your buck.

When the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group members discovered that a Woolworths store was selling Lamb Offcuts at almost $10 less per kilo than Lamb Forequarter Chops, they immediately began discussing the matter.

For the unfamiliar, Lamb Offcuts–as suggested by their name–are off-sized cuts of lamb that supermarkets package as more cost-effective alternatives to premium lamb cuts.

View attachment 16858
A side-by-side comparison of the two meat packets. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts.

One bargain hunter wrote in a post: ‘Check out the lamb offcuts vs forequarter chops…at a Woolies store in WA tonight.’

‘Offcuts only cost $7.65 compared to Lamb Forequarter Chops, which cost $13.75.’

‘Just to clarify - not saying that all lamb offcut packs are like this, this was just 1 pack that I’ve come across in WA and many people in this group have seen them around the country too.’

Members of Markdown Addicts Australia were divided on their thoughts about the quality of Offcuts but generally agreed that it had a few pros and cons.

One person argued that offcut packets are not always reliable, noting that you could get 'random bony bits' in them.

‘Offcuts are garbage most of the time and usually more bone and fat than meat,’ another wrote.

A third chimed in: ‘Offcuts are exactly what they say they are off (sized) cuts from the animal that they couldn't package as proper cuts e.g the forequarter.’

Despite that, members did share their success with offcuts, particularly when it came to lamb loin chops.

One person shared: ‘Not always bad. Sometimes you can get really good offcut packets. I’ve brought them before and they have hardly any fat on them.’

‘This is awesome! Sometimes offcuts have more fat so I just fry them longer to burn it off. If it’s too much fat though it outweighs the benefits of it being cheaper,’ another suggested.

However, there was one other issue that the group faced: when buying directly from the shelf, they pointed out that supermarkets have been known to 'double stack' the chops, making it difficult to determine whether the bottom layer is indeed offcuts or proper forequarter chops.

Key Takeaways

• Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group members discovered that a Woolworths store was selling Lamb Offcuts at almost $10 less per kilo than Lamb Forequarter Chops, sparking a debate.
  • Members had mixed opinions about the quality and value of Offcuts, with some claiming that they usually contain more bone and fat than meat, while others have had positive experiences with them.
  • Some shoppers shared their tips for making the most out of the offcuts, such as marinating them in mint, sugar and olive oil with a big salad.
  • Bargain hunters agreed that it is crucial to pay close attention to the offcuts when selecting them, as supermarkets have been known to 'double stack' the chops, making it difficult to determine the true contents of the package.

Nevertheless, bargain hunters seemed to prefer offcuts over forequarter chops. Yet, they all agreed that it is necessary to pay close attention when selecting offcuts to ensure that one is not buying a pack of mostly fat, bones and other random unsaleable cuts.

Also, we recommend checking out this article, where we revealed some insider tips from a butcher on how to score more meat products for less money.

So, members, have you bought offcuts in the past, or have you chosen to stick with the more expensive forequarter chops? Please share your stories in the comments below!
Pretty good for a dog treat. When you find bits not suitable for us to munch on.

Reactions: Ricci
Used to buy these for human consumption (made great economical HotPot Lamb Curry) until I received a dose of food poisoning! 🤮 Now I only purchase them for my dogs.

View attachment 16858

Key Takeaways

I usually check out the Lamb Offcuts each week when shopping, sometimes they are good value, with chunks of meat good for a soup or chops that aren't as pretty as their higher priced neighbours. Other weeks they are just fat and bone, but it's a good cheap option sometimes.

View attachment 16858

Key Takeaways

We buy them regularly (especially in Winter) great for stews, casseroles and in Crock Pot. Good secret is to make today and eat tomorrow (so you can get a lot of the fat off the top, unless you like the fat. Cheers

Reactions: Ricci and Cheezil
You need to look carefully at each pack. Sometimes they’re worth it, sometimes not. I buy them from time to time for casseroles or for soups.

View attachment 16858

Key Takeaways

They may not be great but for me its better than no meat at all when you're on a tight budget!

Reactions: Gsr and Ricci

View attachment 16858

Key Takeaways

Fat, gristle and a tiny bit of meat, ok I suppose as a base for slow cooking but not for me.

We get them for the dog and the birds, my husband cuts off bits of meat and lets them dry out a bit and when our feather friends come calling they get a slither f meat that they bash to death on the fence before leaving for their nest. A couple might hang around eat it quickly and try for an extra ration depending on the dogs mood.

I buy them if they have enough meat for a crockpot meal. Marvellous invention crockpots, they make tougher cuts of meat tender enough for anyone to eat. Add a few things like sauces, herbs, vegies, rice and makes a nice filling meal.

This use to be $4.00 p/kilo, then price increases since then. Now $9.00 p/kilo. At first they were always all gone. Then, price increases from $4.00- $9.00 and one I saw was just bones. I have never purchased these as too pricey. I nearly did a couple of weeks ago but put two packets back and decided on other foods that provide more home-cooked meals.

If anything, wait until lamb legs $12 per kilo and if you are a Woolworths Extra Rewards member then buy one or a couple legs of lamb when on this sale, then utilise your 10% Off Discount that's once a month. Plus, when they send the offer of Earn Extra Points. Then get them home and cut up and make lamb steaks, two small lamb shanks, lamb squares for skewers or cooking a lamb stew. Lamb stock. This way you get top of the range lamb for $10.80 per kilo. ($12 per kilo less the 10% Discount = $10.80 per kilo). Even do that when fresh chickens are on sale and other meats. Get home, cut them up and store in double good quality freezer bags. Do cook-ups as well and freeze in portions. Use 10% Off and also when you score even more Extra Rewards Points so that you may be getting $10-$20 worth of points in that shop.