Are Coles' new 'hybrid' checkouts the way of the future?

Hold on to your shopping carts, folks, because technology has struck again! Just when we thought we had seen it all, a Coles supermarket in Mount Gravatt, Queensland, has introduced a new invention that has raised eyebrows and sparked a heated debate among Australian shoppers.

Say goodbye to traditional checkouts and hello to 'hybrid self-assisted' registers!

Now, you might be thinking, 'How can a self-assisted checkout be hybrid?' Well, let us tell you. These cutting-edge registers come equipped with conveyor belts, but there are no staff present to scan your items.

That's right – customers have to scan their own groceries. But don't worry; Coles hasn't completely eliminated the human touch. Employees are still available to step in if needed.

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 10.50.31 AM.png
A Coles store in Queensland has introduced 'hybrid self-assisted' registers, causing outrage among some shoppers. Pictured above is a similar store in Fairfield, Queensland. Credit: Facebook.

It's not the first time Coles has experimented with this concept. A supermarket in Melbourne tried it out last year, and it certainly got people talking.

But whether you're for or against these self-assisted checkouts, one thing is for sure – technology continues to evolve and reshape our world, sometimes challenging our notions of the human interaction we all grew up with.

But this move by Coles has not been without controversy. Many shoppers and local customers have expressed concerns about the potential reduction in the need for supermarket employees.

It's a topic that has stirred up strong emotions and ignited a debate about the balance between technology and human interaction in our everyday lives.

Not everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of this new technology. Just ask Lara, a shopper from Brisbane, who recently posted a photo on Twitter showing a Coles supermarket that is 'completely self-service only'.

She expressed her concern, fearing that this could be the first of many stores to adopt this approach.

'I was told that Coles has done the research. Apparently, we all asked for this,' she sarcastically wrote in a tweet. 'It is the first store in QLD, and in the future, all stores will be the same. The staff found my disgust amusing.'

And Lara isn't the only one who's sceptical. Clinton Maynard from 2GB's Weekend Today called the move 'ridiculous', highlighting that many people are not open to embracing new technology like this.

'We still need those staff for people who need to go to a checkout,' he pointed out, echoing the concerns of many others who value the human touch in their shopping experience.

Nationals leader David Littleproud chimed in, noting that the new technology may not be ideal for elderly customers. 'Those older people need people. It is about the human contact and the services they get,' he emphasised.

Do shoppers think hybrid checkouts are a good idea_.jpg

The debate around self-serve checkouts shows no signs of slowing down, with opinions continuing to be divided. In a previous article, members of the SDC community shared their thoughts on the matter, highlighting concerns about accessibility, efficiency, and job losses.

Member @Suemac pointed out the need for one-on-one service, particularly for people with disabilities who may struggle with the self-serve option. Meanwhile, member @Marj53 shared her experience of long lines of people waiting for self-serve checkouts, which were no quicker than traditional checkouts, even during peak hours.

Member @Cheezil emphasised the importance of keeping jobs and argued that self-serve checkouts would take longer for customers to scan their groceries than for a checkout operator to do it.

And member @Lesleymorris58 summed it up by stating her preference for human service, saying that customers don't work at the supermarket and don't get paid for ringing up their own groceries. 'We don't even get a discount!' she added.

On the other hand, some members of the SDC community have expressed their support for self-serve checkouts, highlighting their convenience and efficiency.

Member @Suzanne rose shared that she finds self-serve checkouts to be quick and easy to use. She argued that if it weren't for self-serve, the lines would be much longer, leading to complaints about wait times. She also pointed out that most people want to get in and out quickly and are happy to use self-serve to do so.

Member @Michael Kaff also expressed support for self-serve checkouts but noted that they are not always practical for a large shop. For a few items, however, he finds them convenient and efficient.

It's clear that opinions on self-serve checkouts are varied and often dependent on personal preferences and circumstances. While some find them to be a convenient and speedy option, others prefer the human touch and worry about the impact on jobs and accessibility.

Ultimately, the key is to strike a balance that works for everyone involved.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket chain Coles has introduced 'hybrid self-assisted' checkouts in a Queensland store, sparking a debate among shoppers and politicians over the impact on jobs and accessibility.
  • Some customers argue that self-serve checkouts are quick and efficient, while others prefer the human touch and are concerned about the impact on employment opportunities and accessibility for those with disabilities.

What do you think, members? Is this new system a convenience or an inconvenience? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I mainly shop at Coles so if they start this at our Coles store I will be going elsewhere. What I have found on odd occasions at the self-serve is first there are only a few for cash and more for card only so those waiting to enter this area can create a longer wait time. Once arriving at the checkout on your own there can be a problem thereby creating a wait time for help as the assistant is usually busy with another person. Trying to juggle unloading loading and money can be a problem for some people again creating delays. The normal checkout people are SO much quicker in putting your items through the till and packing your bag.

I am glad I am not one of the sheep that swear by Coles. I personally have never had a satisfactory shop there which is why I hate them. I would rather have a checkout chick to serve me at least they say good day before they scan your goods at high speed ie: Aldi. As an older shopper, I often need help to reach the top shelves while most other customers are always willing to help my local Aldi store has many younger people around to help oldies like me.

I agree with the shopper who says they don't work for the supermarket with self-serve tills this is the argument I use even in K mart where they prefer you to use the self-serve tills I always wait for a till manned by someone human.

Not for me,hate self service
Hold on to your shopping carts, folks, because technology has struck again! Just when we thought we had seen it all, a Coles supermarket in Mount Gravatt, Queensland, has introduced a new invention that has raised eyebrows and sparked a heated debate among Australian shoppers.

Say goodbye to traditional checkouts and hello to 'hybrid self-assisted' registers!

Now, you might be thinking, 'How can a self-assisted checkout be hybrid?' Well, let us tell you. These cutting-edge registers come equipped with conveyor belts, but there are no staff present to scan your items.

That's right – customers have to scan their own groceries. But don't worry; Coles hasn't completely eliminated the human touch. Employees are still available to step in if needed.

View attachment 18133
A Coles store in Queensland has introduced 'hybrid self-assisted' registers, causing outrage among some shoppers. Pictured above is a similar store in Fairfield, Queensland. Credit: Facebook.

It's not the first time Coles has experimented with this concept. A supermarket in Melbourne tried it out last year, and it certainly got people talking.

But whether you're for or against these self-assisted checkouts, one thing is for sure – technology continues to evolve and reshape our world, sometimes challenging our notions of the human interaction we all grew up with.

But this move by Coles has not been without controversy. Many shoppers and local customers have expressed concerns about the potential reduction in the need for supermarket employees.

It's a topic that has stirred up strong emotions and ignited a debate about the balance between technology and human interaction in our everyday lives.

Not everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of this new technology. Just ask Lara, a shopper from Brisbane, who recently posted a photo on Twitter showing a Coles supermarket that is 'completely self-service only'.

She expressed her concern, fearing that this could be the first of many stores to adopt this approach.

'I was told that Coles has done the research. Apparently, we all asked for this,' she sarcastically wrote in a tweet. 'It is the first store in QLD, and in the future, all stores will be the same. The staff found my disgust amusing.'

And Lara isn't the only one who's sceptical. Clinton Maynard from 2GB's Weekend Today called the move 'ridiculous', highlighting that many people are not open to embracing new technology like this.

'We still need those staff for people who need to go to a checkout,' he pointed out, echoing the concerns of many others who value the human touch in their shopping experience.

Nationals leader David Littleproud chimed in, noting that the new technology may not be ideal for elderly customers. 'Those older people need people. It is about the human contact and the services they get,' he emphasised.

The debate around self-serve checkouts shows no signs of slowing down, with opinions continuing to be divided. In a previous article, members of the SDC community shared their thoughts on the matter, highlighting concerns about accessibility, efficiency, and job losses.

Member @Suemac pointed out the need for one-on-one service, particularly for people with disabilities who may struggle with the self-serve option. Meanwhile, member @Marj53 shared her experience of long lines of people waiting for self-serve checkouts, which were no quicker than traditional checkouts, even during peak hours.

Member @Cheezil emphasised the importance of keeping jobs and argued that self-serve checkouts would take longer for customers to scan their groceries than for a checkout operator to do it.

And member @Lesleymorris58 summed it up by stating her preference for human service, saying that customers don't work at the supermarket and don't get paid for ringing up their own groceries. 'We don't even get a discount!' she added.

On the other hand, some members of the SDC community have expressed their support for self-serve checkouts, highlighting their convenience and efficiency.

Member @Suzanne rose shared that she finds self-serve checkouts to be quick and easy to use. She argued that if it weren't for self-serve, the lines would be much longer, leading to complaints about wait times. She also pointed out that most people want to get in and out quickly and are happy to use self-serve to do so.

Member @Michael Kaff also expressed support for self-serve checkouts but noted that they are not always practical for a large shop. For a few items, however, he finds them convenient and efficient.

It's clear that opinions on self-serve checkouts are varied and often dependent on personal preferences and circumstances. While some find them to be a convenient and speedy option, others prefer the human touch and worry about the impact on jobs and accessibility.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket chain Coles has introduced 'hybrid self-assisted' checkouts in a Queensland store, sparking a debate among shoppers and politicians over the impact on jobs and accessibility.
  • Some customers argue that self-serve checkouts are quick and efficient, while others prefer the human touch and are concerned about the impact on employment opportunities and accessibility for those with disabilities.

What do you think, members? Is this new system a convenience or an inconvenience? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

View attachment 18133

Key Takeaways

I refuse to use self-service checkouts. I want to save the jobs of the checkout operators - and, as an Older person, I prefer the human touch!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
A couple of Coles' staff have told me they have been formally told they will lose their jobs when manned check-outs are discontinued. Instead, there's lots of staff needed for online customer orders. A good reason to do online ordering to keep their jobs for them.

• Sad
Reactions: Jarred Santos
A couple of Coles' staff have told me they have been formally told they will lose their jobs when manned check-outs are discontinued. Instead, there's lots of staff needed for online customer orders. A good reason to do online ordering to keep their jobs for them.
The human cost of advancement is something I will never really get used to :(

For small shops I use self serve but I always have a “wait for assistance” at least once, sometimes multiple times, usually for stupid reasons, then have to wait as everyone else on self serve is having the same problem and there is only ever one staff member to help everyone using self serve. If stores want to get customers using self serve they need to fix all these waste of time problems and have more staff to help in self serve. Big shops I always use a manned checkout but usually have to wait as mostly only one open and until there are at least six people with trolleys lined up they won’t open another one. Very poor service in supermarkets these days and it is getting worse. I would shop online more except for the fact that when I did I got 2nd grade “fresh fruit and vegies” milk that expired within two days, crappy looking meat. Etc.etc. The bags were also packed with no care resulting in squashed fruit and vegies, leaking milk, juice bottles.

So what is new about this? I have used those check-outs in Wagga Wagga and Canberra on a number of occasions and since my partner is usually with me, one unloads trolley while the other scans and bags.

If I am on my own, I still prefer the self service check-outs, especially since there is always a long line for manned check-outs.
It's easy to see you are a youngster Trudi, see how your opinion holds up when in your high 80's like me..

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
We have manned and self service checkouts at Reynella SA however the self service checkouts with the conveyor belts are never open. This causes huge lines waiting for service. It is beyond a joke!
That sounds like a local management issue - maybe the store manage believes he/she may stop the self service checkouts by keeping them closed. I would be inclined to send a complaint to the CEO of Coles.

I refuse to use self-service checkouts. I want to save the jobs of the checkout operators - and, as an Older person, I prefer the human touch!
Good! That means you won't slow the traffic at the self serve checkouts.

With supermarkets, I intensely dislike that I have to trust the price of items is correct when scanned.
I missed the price ticket on items to check when they went digital.

I don’t like them never have how are people
and especially school aged children
expected to get a job when all the
checkouts are self serve eventually
everyone will be on centrelink payments

I can only talk about my job I worked in the steelworks in Port Kembla starting in 1971 there were 27,000 employees over the next 40 years due to technology improvements when I retired there was only 6000 employees but we were producing double the tonnes as 1971 I guess supermarkets are catching up with technology

Reactions: Penny4
Coles

Coles at Redcliffe Qld have had these for about 12 months. Usually only one traditional one is open.
At first it was annoying and we waited for a staff assisted checkout. However, we now use this new type most times. We miss the chance to have a chat with the operator. I guess that`s progress. More and more we are losing service in many areas of our lives.
There's usually not much more than one open anywhere any more I don't think, they drive you to this self-serve crap....Good on Woolworths for getting rid of Self-serve checkouts, well our Woolworths did, closed them and put in fast service one's.

If I have a few things I go to self-checkout. If it’s a big shop, will go to the normal one. If I have a normal one in the future as a self-checkout, so be it!,
It doesn’t matter what people thing or how they feel about changes, the big companies will do what they want no matter what. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Trudi

View attachment 18133

Key Takeaways

When I shop I want service and refuse to use self service that is why I only shop at drakes in SA.they are friendly and courteous

Have they given a thought to people in wheelchairs and on the disabled scooters how the hell are they going to be putting all their groceries on the belt and packing them. So much for technology its getting out of hand, give me a smiling checkout chick any day, and you will find that people will steal things, which I have been told is already happening, they should pay the customers that use it for doing their jobs. Jan Purcell