Are Buy Now, Pay Later Services Pushing Australians to Choose Between Essential Medications and Debt?

In today's economy, it's no secret that many Australians face significant financial challenges. With the cost of petrol on the rise and inflated grocery prices, it can feel like making ends meet is a never-ending battle.

Whether you're living off a pension or trying to save for the future, financial stress can take a toll on your well-being.

But what if those costs extend to essential medications for your loved ones?

Tammy Taylor, a mum of two from Mildura, Victoria, is all too familiar with this situation.

She relies on buy now, pay later services to provide essential medication for her son with a disability.

1684059315421.png
Some Aussies who are struggling to afford medicine were forced to use ‘buy now, pay later’ schemes. Credit: Shutterstock.

Tammy explained: ‘With the cost of those medications, sometimes you just don't make enough money to pay for them all at once.’

'His medication costs me $250 a month. I have had to use Afterpay to pay for my son's meds.'

To make ends meet, she is forced to spend money she doesn't have yet, adding to her financial stress.

'If I needed medication or one of my other children needed medication, I have to use Afterpay because they wouldn't be able to afford it since the cost of living has gone up so much,' she added.

Her story is sadly far too common. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) recently released a report which found that the proportion of people who delayed or did not get prescription medication when needed due to cost increased to 5.6 % in 2021-22 from 4.4% in 2020-21.

Buy now, pay later services have become increasingly popular, but experts are sounding the alarm, particularly for those with fixed incomes.

According to Andrew Grant, an associate finance professor at the University of Sydney Business School, accumulating significant debt through such services can be overwhelming for those already struggling to meet their financial obligations.

He explained: ‘By allowing people to access further credit in the form of buy now, pay later might make them more in debt than they would be otherwise.’

‘It might also encourage them to default on other financial products, such as credit cards or personal loans.’

Maddy Spencer, a resident of Mildura, relies on Afterpay and Zip at the chemist, but describes using buy now, pay later services as being ‘stuck in a loop’.

For Maddy, most paydays involve paying off $200-300 of Afterpay, as well as other bills and fuel for her car, while relying on her husband's income for essential expenses like food, mortgage, and insurance.

While she initially started using Afterpay to budget for more costly items like birthday presents and quality shoes, Maddy has been using it to get by until her next paycheck.

Meanwhile, fellow Mildura resident Sue Watson, who has a monthly medication bill of $120, feels uneasy using buy now, pay later services to pay for her medication.

She said: ‘I know my health is suffering from not taking some of my medications, but that's life at the moment.’

Despite the rising cost of living, Sue remained firmly against using such services.

While Afterpay and Zip do not charge compounding interest, customers may face late fees if they fail to pay the monthly minimum payment or remaining balance on time, as noted.

According to a Zip spokesperson, more customers are turning to their services, including for everyday expenses within the health sector, to avoid credit card interest. Additionally, Afterpay reported that in the first quarter of 2023, 98% of purchases did not incur late fees.

However, Associate Finance Professor Andrew Grant cautioned that those who use these services irresponsibly could face hardships, particularly if they have multiple accounts or maxed-out credit cards, leading them to rely on buy now, pay later services to cover the gap.

Such cases could be concerning for people who may feel forced to use buy now, pay later to cover the cost of medication.

On the other hand, while the recent changes to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) reduced the cost of subsidised medicine for patients like Sue Watson from $42.50 to $30, she still finds it challenging to make payments on time.

While the safety net helps to bring down the cost of medication, Ms Watson noted that she and her family can now only afford the basics.

To support the implementation of changes to the PBS, Services Australia has been allocated $1.2 million in 2022-23 and $1.6 million over four years.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports that two in three people were supplied with at least one PBS medication in the six months before or after the National Health Survey interview.

1684059315455.png
Key information about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Among those with chronic conditions, 80.4% were supplied with PBS medication, while nearly all (97%) people aged 75 years and over received PBS medication.

Key Takeaways
  • Many Australians are facing financial challenges, including the rising cost of essential medications.
  • Buy now, pay later services have become increasingly popular, but experts warn of the potential for accumulating debt, especially for those on fixed incomes.
  • The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reported that the proportion of people who delayed or did not get prescription medication due to cost increased in 2021-22.
  • Recent changes to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) aim to reduce the cost of subsidised medicine, but many people are still struggling to afford essential medications.

It is important to carefully evaluate your financial situation and capabilities before signing up for buy now, pay later services.

While they can be useful if used responsibly, it is crucial to exercise caution to avoid accumulating overwhelming debt.

What do you think about this? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

• Sad
Reactions: terri and Liag
Sponsored
That’s a huge no from me. Those buy now pay later schemes are a trap. You are still going to have to pay,so just wait until you can. Before reaching the safety net,my husband and I were often and often forced to choose which foods or medications we could do without that pay. We have no super or retirement fund and rely on the pension entirely for our income. Usually,we can make ends meet but sometimes it’s a struggle. Buying into those schemes would just make matters worse.

Why would you use afterpay and likes of that. They need to make money to be able to offer you credit. You eventually pay one way or another. I honestly cannot see how that would help. Why can't the people like those in the story, create a chemist account. You can get what you want, and you pay off the account when you have the cash. As long as you are not several months behind or have gone over a limit that they set. I have an account; in a month it can be as high as $100+ per month. Once I get my monthly account, I generally paid the month outstanding and to current while I'm there. therefore, making the end of the month account smaller again. It works for me. I'm paying once a month. but you could pay installments. The same would work for a credit card. I paid the monthly statement in full, so no fees except the yearly fee, which is my choice to have more features with my Coles Mastercard. There are credit cards that don't have fees out there. Most of chemist purchases are non-scripts items that I need to take.

In today's economy, it's no secret that many Australians face significant financial challenges. With the cost of petrol on the rise and inflated grocery prices, it can feel like making ends meet is a never-ending battle.

Whether you're living off a pension or trying to save for the future, financial stress can take a toll on your well-being.

But what if those costs extend to essential medications for your loved ones?

Tammy Taylor, a mum of two from Mildura, Victoria, is all too familiar with this situation.

She relies on buy now, pay later services to provide essential medication for her son with a disability.

View attachment 19771
Some Aussies who are struggling to afford medicine were forced to use ‘buy now, pay later’ schemes. Credit: Shutterstock.

Tammy explained: ‘With the cost of those medications, sometimes you just don't make enough money to pay for them all at once.’

'His medication costs me $250 a month. I have had to use Afterpay to pay for my son's meds.'

To make ends meet, she is forced to spend money she doesn't have yet, adding to her financial stress.

'If I needed medication or one of my other children needed medication, I have to use Afterpay because they wouldn't be able to afford it since the cost of living has gone up so much,' she added.

Her story is sadly far too common. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) recently released a report which found that the proportion of people who delayed or did not get prescription medication when needed due to cost increased to 5.6 % in 2021-22 from 4.4% in 2020-21.

Buy now, pay later services have become increasingly popular, but experts are sounding the alarm, particularly for those with fixed incomes.

According to Andrew Grant, an associate finance professor at the University of Sydney Business School, accumulating significant debt through such services can be overwhelming for those already struggling to meet their financial obligations.

He explained: ‘By allowing people to access further credit in the form of buy now, pay later might make them more in debt than they would be otherwise.’

‘It might also encourage them to default on other financial products, such as credit cards or personal loans.’

Maddy Spencer, a resident of Mildura, relies on Afterpay and Zip at the chemist, but describes using buy now, pay later services as being ‘stuck in a loop’.

For Maddy, most paydays involve paying off $200-300 of Afterpay, as well as other bills and fuel for her car, while relying on her husband's income for essential expenses like food, mortgage, and insurance.

While she initially started using Afterpay to budget for more costly items like birthday presents and quality shoes, Maddy has been using it to get by until her next paycheck.

Meanwhile, fellow Mildura resident Sue Watson, who has a monthly medication bill of $120, feels uneasy using buy now, pay later services to pay for her medication.

She said: ‘I know my health is suffering from not taking some of my medications, but that's life at the moment.’

Despite the rising cost of living, Sue remained firmly against using such services.

While Afterpay and Zip do not charge compounding interest, customers may face late fees if they fail to pay the monthly minimum payment or remaining balance on time, as noted.

According to a Zip spokesperson, more customers are turning to their services, including for everyday expenses within the health sector, to avoid credit card interest. Additionally, Afterpay reported that in the first quarter of 2023, 98% of purchases did not incur late fees.

However, Associate Finance Professor Andrew Grant cautioned that those who use these services irresponsibly could face hardships, particularly if they have multiple accounts or maxed-out credit cards, leading them to rely on buy now, pay later services to cover the gap.

Such cases could be concerning for people who may feel forced to use buy now, pay later to cover the cost of medication.

On the other hand, while the recent changes to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) reduced the cost of subsidised medicine for patients like Sue Watson from $42.50 to $30, she still finds it challenging to make payments on time.

While the safety net helps to bring down the cost of medication, Ms Watson noted that she and her family can now only afford the basics.

To support the implementation of changes to the PBS, Services Australia has been allocated $1.2 million in 2022-23 and $1.6 million over four years.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports that two in three people were supplied with at least one PBS medication in the six months before or after the National Health Survey interview.

View attachment 19772
Key information about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Among those with chronic conditions, 80.4% were supplied with PBS medication, while nearly all (97%) people aged 75 years and over received PBS medication.

Key Takeaways

• Many Australians are facing financial challenges, including the rising cost of essential medications.
  • Buy now, pay later services have become increasingly popular, but experts warn of the potential for accumulating debt, especially for those on fixed incomes.
  • The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reported that the proportion of people who delayed or did not get prescription medication due to cost increased in 2021-22.
  • Recent changes to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) aim to reduce the cost of subsidised medicine, but many people are still struggling to afford essential medications.

It is important to carefully evaluate your financial situation and capabilities before signing up for buy now, pay later services.

While they can be useful if used responsibly, it is crucial to exercise caution to avoid accumulating overwhelming debt.

What do you think about this? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
It is all and good stating that PBS medications are covered by the safety net etc. What about non PBS medications, a person is required to use because PBS covered medications are either not suitable or the person has a reaction. A person maybe taking five or six PBS medications when they can reduce this to two PBS and two non PBS. THe Non PBS medication is cannibis based oils and, when used, provide greated benefits to the person than the PBS medications.

That’s a huge no from me. Those buy now pay later schemes are a trap. You are still going to have to pay,so just wait until you can. Before reaching the safety net,my husband and I were often and often forced to choose which foods or medications we could do without that pay. We have no super or retirement fund and rely on the pension entirely for our income. Usually,we can make ends meet but sometimes it’s a struggle. Buying into those schemes would just make matters worse.
They're only a trap if you don't know how to budget if unsure then people shouldn't use buy now pay later

Why would you use afterpay and likes of that. They need to make money to be able to offer you credit. You eventually pay one way or another. I honestly cannot see how that would help. Why can't the people like those in the story, create a chemist account. You can get what you want, and you pay off the account when you have the cash. As long as you are not several months behind or have gone over a limit that they set. I have an account; in a month it can be as high as $100+ per month. Once I get my monthly account, I generally paid the month outstanding and to current while I'm there. therefore, making the end of the month account smaller again. It works for me. I'm paying once a month. but you could pay installments. The same would work for a credit card. I paid the monthly statement in full, so no fees except the yearly fee, which is my choice to have more features with my Coles Mastercard. There are credit cards that don't have fees out there. Most of chemist purchases are non-scripts items that I need to take.
Not all chemists supply a monthly account, most pharmacies are a franchise these days and really cannot afford to be out-of-pocket

My husband and I have a very large monthly chemist bill between us, however, we would never resort to Afterpay or something similar. They actually want you to fall behind, that's how they make money. I would be asking the Dr and the Pharmacist about generics or some other cheaper option.

Buy now. Afterpay is a trap. I think many people need to learn how to cook well, healthy but cheap. How to do groceries cheaper. Turn off the lights and no heater but wrap yourself in blankets. I think I saved about $130 or more from the summer electricity quarter bill because I only turned on the air conditioner once in summer. I purchased a small & large cannon fan Ryobi One Plus (+) range and they come with Years Warranty. I just registered them with Ryobi. Battery operated and I already have some Ryobi One+ items, batteries & charges. The savings have already covered the small fan $69 and nearly the cannon fan $99. Next summer I'll be in credit once I save energy costs again. I truly think that many need help on 'how to' and were they can save.

The Afterpay is just another money maker for people who know that millions will fail to make payments in time.

I also ensure that my credit card is paid in full and in fact I pay more so that it's in credit before the end of month Payment Due Date, or I even try to pay all of it even just before the Close Off date for the statement period, so that the monthly statement is in credit.

We had a credit card years ago but used it only for emergencies, like when our car died on a family holiday at Dubbo, and needed an expensive repair before we could travel home. We always paid it off in full each month. Now we don’t use any type of credit, buy now pay later cards. We haven’t had a credit card for over thirty years. We save for big items and put away money to pay bills etc every week. It is a constant struggle but we have seen first hand with other family members how easy it is to get carried away with this form of easy money and end up with huge debts that take years to pay off.

We had a credit card years ago but used it only for emergencies, like when our car died on a family holiday at Dubbo, and needed an expensive repair before we could travel home. We always paid it off in full each month. Now we don’t use any type of credit, buy now pay later cards. We haven’t had a credit card for over thirty years. We save for big items and put away money to pay bills etc every week. It is a constant struggle but we have seen first hand with other family members how easy it is to get carried away with this form of easy money and end up with huge debts that take years to pay off.
I use the 'up to 30 days' Interest Free period. I just ensure that the full amount is paid before the due date and always pay extra so it's in credit.

As a pensioner you would be having a very low cost of $6.30 per prescription and one you reach your cap your medication costs would be zero.