Are Australians demanding the end of self-service check-outs?

It’s no secret that advancements in technology often come with growing pains—no matter how great a piece of modern tech seems on paper, it won’t meet everyone’s expectations.

It’s certainly true of online shopping, and more recently, it seems to have taken hold of how people are shopping in stores too.

The convenience of self-service check-out counters means people don’t have to wait in line the way they used to, reducing time spent at the store and letting people get back to more enjoyable pursuits.

But now, it seems that a growing number of Australians are calling for their complete abandonment.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 115321.png
A recent poll on social media from a news source garnered a majority of ‘yes’, saying retailers should abandon self-checkouts. Image: Reddit

It was revealed by a recent poll conducted on social media that more than 5,400 Aussies are in favour of stores doing away with their self-service check-outs.

This is compared to the 840 who think they should stay.

Those who took the survey argued that the facilities are a double-edged sword—while they help speed up lines and reduce labour costs, there are some shoppers who don’t find them particularly user-friendly.

‘Personally, I love self-service but understand that there are those that find them overwhelming. A mix of both is good,’ one said.

‘I’m quite happy to do my own thing. Then it’s packed just how I like it!’ said another.

Another commented: ‘It would be nice to have a choice. Sometimes I like self check-out and sometimes I prefer assisted.’

‘Have both,’ agreed one. ‘No one wants to stand in a [queue] for one item. But also ensure that all registers are open during busy times.’

‘Nah, love them. Sometimes at the end of a long day, you want to get in and out without interacting with anyone,’ one person said.

‘Should also always have manned check-outs for those who prefer.’

This story comes after Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci acknowledged the ongoing problem. It happened when a customer questioned the chain’s self-service check-outs, asking if it was coming 'at the expense’ of their ‘team’, or if it would end up reducing the number of jobs in-store.

In response, Mr Banducci reassured shoppers that Woolworths has actually hired an increasing number of Personal Shoppers for their online orders.

‘The fact is, we employ more people than ever before and, with the popularity of online ordering, this year we’ve hired 5500 Personal Shoppers, so there’s more jobs at Woolies not less,’ Banducci said.

On the other hand, a Coles spokesperson declared that self-service check-outs are still a 'great option' and deliver 'convenience and efficiency' for customers since more than two in three customers are still opting to use them.

‘Because of this, they are the checkout of choice for more than two in three customers, and we continue to see those numbers increase,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Over the past year, we have seen greater customer satisfaction and uptake in our self-service options. Of course, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, someone will always be available in the service area to serve them,’ the spokesperson added.

‘We have never been more committed to supporting Australians with employment opportunities, having recruited an additional 22,000 Team Members compared to five years ago.’

Woolworths and Coles have applied various security measures in recent months to fight back against shoplifting, which experts estimate costs a whopping $9 billion each year.

The supermarket retailers' newly implemented security systems include heightened surveillance, biometric tracking, and self-checkout cameras.

You can read the rest of the story here.

Comparison website Finder recently noted that people are now stealing from stores, service stations and cafes more than ever before as the cost of living rises—with five per cent of survey respondents admitting they’d stolen items when using self-check-outs.

What’s more, four per cent said they’d lied about what they’d scanned, intentionally entering inaccurate information. You can read more about that story here.

Retailers have responded to this surge in theft by introducing new security measures, but leading US credit analyst Matt Schulz said he is now wrestling with the issue of whether the convenience of these self-service check-outs is worth the risk of increased shoplifting.

‘While self-checkout is convenient, it certainly poses a risk for shoplifting,’ Mr Schulz said.

‘Ultimately, retailers need to decide whether the self-checkout terminals are worth the risk.’

‘I don’t think self-checkout is going to go away entirely, but I think we’re going to see a lot of retailers swing back into a more balanced choice for shoppers.’

Key Takeaways
  • A new poll found that many Australians are in favour of retailers abandoning self-service check-outs.
  • More than 5400 wanted self-service check-outs 'abandoned', while 840 wanted it to stay.
  • Some customers endorse a blend of both manned and self-service registers.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths have defended the use of self-service check-outs, citing greater customer satisfaction, and efficiency and that they create more job opportunities.

What do you think of this story? Do you welcome the convenience of self-service check-outs, or do you wish for more traditional store counters? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: LorelleD
Sponsored
It’s no secret that advancements in technology often come with growing pains—no matter how great a piece of modern tech seems on paper, it won’t meet everyone’s expectations.

It’s certainly true of online shopping, and more recently, it seems to have taken hold of how people are shopping in stores too.

The convenience of self-service check-out counters means people don’t have to wait in line the way they used to, reducing time spent at the store and letting people get back to more enjoyable pursuits.

But now, it seems that a growing number of Australians are calling for their complete abandonment.

View attachment 36829
A recent poll on social media from a news source garnered a majority of ‘yes’, saying retailers should abandon self-checkouts. Image: Reddit

It was revealed by a recent poll conducted on social media that more than 5,400 Aussies are in favour of stores doing away with their self-service check-outs.

Those who took the survey argued that the facilities are a double-edged sword—while they help speed up lines and reduce labour costs, there are some shoppers who don’t find them particularly user-friendly.

‘Personally, I love self-service but understand that there are those that find them overwhelming. A mix of both is good,’ one said.

‘I’m quite happy to do my own thing. Then it’s packed just how I like it!’ said another.

Another commented: ‘It would be nice to have a choice. Sometimes I like self check-out and sometimes I prefer assisted.’

‘Have both,’ agreed one. ‘No one wants to stand in a [queue] for one item. But also ensure that all registers are open during busy times.’

‘Nah, love them. Sometimes at the end of a long day, you want to get in and out without interacting with anyone,’ one person said.

This story comes after Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci acknowledged the ongoing problem. It happened when a customer questioned the chain’s self-service check-outs, asking if it was coming 'at the expense’ of their ‘team’, or if it would end up reducing the number of jobs in-store.

In response, Mr Banducci reassured shoppers that Woolworths has actually hired an increasing number of Personal Shoppers for their online orders.

‘The fact is, we employ more people than ever before and, with the popularity of online ordering, this year we’ve hired 5500 Personal Shoppers, so there’s more jobs at Woolies not less,’ Banducci said.

On the other hand, a Coles spokesperson declared that self-service check-outs are still a 'great option' and deliver 'convenience and efficiency' for customers since more than two in three customers are still opting to use them.

‘Because of this, they are the checkout of choice for more than two in three customers, and we continue to see those numbers increase,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Over the past year, we have seen greater customer satisfaction and uptake in our self-service options. Of course, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, someone will always be available in the service area to serve them,’ the spokesperson added.

‘We have never been more committed to supporting Australians with employment opportunities, having recruited an additional 22,000 Team Members compared to five years ago.’

Woolworths and Coles have applied various security measures in recent months to fight back against shoplifting, which experts estimate costs a whopping $9 billion each year.

The supermarket retailers' newly implemented security systems include heightened surveillance, biometric tracking, and self-checkout cameras.

Comparison website Finder recently noted that people are now stealing from stores, service stations and cafes more than ever before as the cost of living rises—with five per cent of survey respondents admitting they’d stolen items when using self-check-outs.

What’s more, four per cent said they’d lied about what they’d scanned, intentionally entering inaccurate information. You can read more about that story here.

Retailers have responded to this surge in theft by introducing new security measures, but leading US credit analyst Matt Schulz said he is now wrestling with the issue of whether the convenience of these self-service check-outs is worth the risk of increased shoplifting.

‘While self-checkout is convenient, it certainly poses a risk for shoplifting,’ Mr Schulz said.

‘Ultimately, retailers need to decide whether the self-checkout terminals are worth the risk.’

‘I don’t think self-checkout is going to go away entirely, but I think we’re going to see a lot of retailers swing back into a more balanced choice for shoppers.’

Key Takeaways

• A new poll found that many Australians are in favour of retailers abandoning self-service check-outs.
  • More than 5400 wanted self-service check-outs 'abandoned', while 840 wanted it to stay.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths have defended the use of self-service check-outs, citing greater customer satisfaction, and efficiency and that they create more job opportunities.

What do you think of this story? Do you welcome the convenience of self-service check-outs, or do you wish for more traditional store counters? Let us know in the comments below!
I don't mind using self check-outs. MY gripe is most of them are card only, and l prefer to pay with cash. Quite often there's a que for cash or card.

Reactions: VK2LEE and Ashmenou
They must stay ! If I have anything up to 10 items I will always favour a self-checkout, even over an express lane. I'm a busy man, get in get out is my motto, hate the places ! We use online for a big shop or my wife goes to the supermarket.

so in reality big shops are done at checkouts and small number of items are for the self checkouts. To simply then state more are using self- they are using it more often than the average who do bigger shops once. That's not an accurate way to do figures. I found in Kmart the other day a person monitoring self checkouts kept approaching those waiting to be served and kept being asking them to use the self ones- I was asked twice. that is not ok. IF you have bigger items you cant fit on to be scanned, with its these stores or supermarkets and other goods are left in basket, then it stops as you still have things in the trolley and wont let you proceed etc. There is no answer, but stop harassing those choosing manned checkouts to go to self checkouts and then not provide enough manned ones making the wait longer, hoping people will give in and move to self checkout. Doesn't matter which store/location I'm in its a constant obersvation.

View attachment 36829

Key Takeaways

If self serve checkouts means more staff have been employed to do the online shopping that means the supermarkets are out of pocket for the extra staff they have employed to do that shopping over and above the normal checkout staff.
A supermarket losing money? Something smells about the statement from the CEO as I can imagine them showing it to happen.

View attachment 36829

Key Takeaways

I prefer them

At my local coles and woolworths, there are queues to use these damned machines, just as much as there were queues when the employed people at check-out tills

so in reality big shops are done at checkouts and small number of items are for the self checkouts. To simply then state more are using self- they are using it more often than the average who do bigger shops once. That's not an accurate way to do figures. I found in Kmart the other day a person monitoring self checkouts kept approaching those waiting to be served and kept being asking them to use the self ones- I was asked twice. that is not ok. IF you have bigger items you cant fit on to be scanned, with its these stores or supermarkets and other goods are left in basket, then it stops as you still have things in the trolley and wont let you proceed etc. There is no answer, but stop harassing those choosing manned checkouts to go to self checkouts and then not provide enough manned ones making the wait longer, hoping people will give in and move to self checkout. Doesn't matter which store/location I'm in its a constant obersvation.
Well said

Reactions: Jennylolo

View attachment 36829

Key Takeaways

I don't know why people are always calling for self serve to be gotten rid of. If people don't like them then they can go to a checkout that is manned by someone. I realky don't like the feral kids running around the supermarket but I don't call for them to be ousted. We have a choice on how we choose to shop so the complaining has to stop. I for one (I have chronic back pain) don't want to stand in line waiting to be served when I can get going at the self serve.

Reactions: DLHM
If self serve checkouts means more staff have been employed to do the online shopping that means the supermarkets are out of pocket for the extra staff they have employed to do that shopping over and above the normal checkout staff.
A supermarket losing money? Something smells about the statement from the CEO as I can imagine them showing it to happen.
I guess it all depends on how much people spend on online shopping as against in store....maybe they are ordering more because they know that it's not going to be themselves that has to drive to the Supermarket, then do their shopping and get their goods packed and then drive home again and lug them out of the car. All of the time saved from shopping frees them up to do other things around the house or just provides them with free time to do what they will. Much more convenient and less of a hassle. I don't think the Supermarkets would be doing so much with online shopping if they were not making a profit out of it. 🤔

I am grateful that there are staff available to assist those of us who cannot, because of disability, use self checkouts...
HOWEVER, the recent installation of security gates in our local Coles, which prevent those of us reliant on mobility aids like scooters etc from leaving the store even after they've paid, is highly annoying! If these gates must be installed then at least make them wide enough to allow those of us using mobility scooters etc to actually LEAVE the store after checkout!

Reactions: magpie1

View attachment 36829

Key Takeaways

Coles are delusional. Local store now has all self service and two remaining checkout which are not always serviced. I asked a staff member if she had lost hours her response was not yet but I have not gained any either. She also told me the response from customers was worse than Covid where she had been spat on, ending with I hate my job now. In Scandinavia they are putting checkouts back and even have slow checkout for elderly people who like to have a chat as they live alone, they are putting in more as this has been so successful.