ANZ customers to endure a long commute due to local branch closure

In a move that has left locals reeling, the ANZ bank has decided to shut down its Katoomba branch in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, New South Wales.

The closure, which comes in the wake of ANZ's staggering $7 billion profit last year, has been met with widespread outrage, particularly from elderly and mobility-impaired residents who relied on the branch to manage their finances.

Katoomba, a picturesque town that attracts tourists from around the world, is home to a significant number of seniors who have chosen to spend their golden years amidst its serene beauty.

The ANZ branch was a lifeline for many of these residents, who now face the prospect of a 90-minute journey to the nearest branch.

shutterstock_1573804705.jpg
ANZ decided to close a branch in Katoomba. Image source: Shutterstock

Kim Grace, a local resident, has been a vocal critic of ANZ's decision.

Grace, who has launched an online petition, said, ‘This is not just an inconvenience; it’s an outrageous disregard for customers from a bank that reaps significant profits.’

She further added: ‘The proposed closure of this branch—the only one between Penrith and Bathurst—shows a lack of care or concern for customers, especially those who are elderly, without transport, or on lower incomes.’

After the bank announced its closure, there was an outcry from many who believed the move disregarded Australians in remote communities.

The backlash against ANZ's decision is not an isolated incident.

Across Australia, there has been a growing trend of bank branches shutting down, particularly in rural and remote communities. This has left many residents, who rely on these branches for their banking needs, in a precarious position.

The push towards digital banking, while convenient for some, has its drawbacks.

For instance, not everyone has access to reliable internet, and for seniors, who may not be as tech-savvy, digital banking can be a daunting and confusing experience.

Moreover, digital transactions lack the privacy, reliability, and inclusiveness of cash.

Jason Bryce, who initiated a separate petition that has attracted over 170,000 signatures, is advocating for guaranteed access to banking services and cash.

Bryce, in his petition, highlighted the fact that Australia's big banks, including ANZ, sit at the heart of the financial system and have a responsibility to provide Australians with access to cash in every town and suburb.

‘The banks benefit from every Australian having a bank account. Very few adults get paid in cash. Everyone needs a bank account to operate in Australia,’ he said.

‘So banks have a responsibility to provide us with access to cash in every town and suburb in Australia. If the banks won’t act to protect our access to cash, the government must step in,’ he added.

Bryce also pointed to New Zealand's approach as a model that Australia could emulate.

New Zealand, in a bid to support daily cash transactions, has established ‘cash hubs’ in rural towns. These hubs, which are a partnership between the government and the banking sector, provide residents with access to cash and other banking services.

‘It feels like banks are always steering us toward digital transactions. Only cash is private, reliable and surcharge-free. Only cash is inclusive and makes budgeting easy,’ Byrce added.

The closure of the ANZ branch in Katoomba is a wake-up call. It underscores the need for a comprehensive and inclusive approach to banking that caters to the needs of all Australians, particularly seniors and those living in rural and remote communities.

In the meantime, seniors in Katoomba are left to grapple with the reality of a 90-minute journey to access their bank. For many of these residents, the closure of the ANZ branch is not just an inconvenience; it is a stark reminder of the challenges that lie ahead in a rapidly changing world.
Key Takeaways
  • ANZ Bank is closing its Katoomba branch, causing inconvenience to local residents who now face a 90-minute journey to access the nearest alternative branch.
  • Concerns have been raised, especially for the elderly and those with mobility issues, as well as for residents without transport or on lower incomes.
  • A significant profit of over $7 billion by ANZ last year has exacerbated frustrations over the branch closure.
  • Petitions have been launched advocating for guaranteed access to banking services and cash, and there are calls for the government to intervene if banks do not ensure access to cash in all towns and suburbs.
What are your thoughts on the closure of local bank branches? Have you or someone you know been affected by similar closures? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
The ANZ is closing it's Lilydale branch with the next closest branch in Eastland shopping centre in Ringwood.. For those in the Yarra Valley this would mean over an hour drive each way to reach the bank in a huge multilayered shopping centre. Many are choosing to close accounts to go to a bank that still has a branch in the Yarra Valley.

If you think changing Banks is going to solve the problem, then you are living in LA LA Land. Most major banks are all doing it, so you will have the same problem, just with a different bank.
Remember, if banks can get rid of their branches, then their overall running costs drop bigtime, which in turn only raises their profit.
But what the Government forgets is that this will have a major knock-on effect with every Australian and will help make Australia weak as there won't be any real money flow on.

Sad to say, but I fear for my children, my grandchildren & my great grand children.

That is what everybody shoul do.
No sense just whinging change banks.
If more people actually did this, surely sooner or later one of these banks would realise just how many new customers they could get by providing good old fashioned service. Or am I only dreaming?

Stupid and greedy bastards the lot.
The four pillars of banking in this country should be making it stronger, not undermining it. Eventually one will fall and we will be left with an absolute economic mess the government will have no idea how to fix. Keep your cash handy for that day.

If more people actually did this, surely sooner or later one of these banks would realise just how many new customers they could get by providing good old fashioned service. Or am I only dreaming?
Yes,if everybody changed banks they would soon change their mind. What would a bank do without people?

There is 146kms between Penrith and Bathurst,
From Katoomba (on the top of the Blue Mountains) to the rural town of Bathurst is a minimum 1hr 22mins, with light traffic.
The trip to Penrith (in the western suburbs of Sydney) is never without heavy traffic during banking hours and frequently suffers extremely heavy traffic.

ANZ Management is clearly totally disinterested in 'customer service'.

In the past Austrian Banks have been bailed out with taxpayers money during times of world financial crisis, with the condition that they provide service to the public in return.

The government should be demanding that those banks either; provide the service that they promised or PAY BACK OUR MONEY!!!

There is 146kms between Penrith and Bathurst,
From Katoomba (on the top of the Blue Mountains) to the rural town of Bathurst is a minimum 1hr 22mins, with light traffic.
The trip to Penrith (in the western suburbs of Sydney) is never without heavy traffic during banking hours and frequently suffers extremely heavy traffic.

ANZ Management is clearly totally disinterested in 'customer service'.

In the past Austrian Banks have been bailed out with taxpayers money during times of world financial crisis, with the condition that they provide service to the public in return.

The government should be demanding that those banks either; provide the service that they promised or PAY BACK OUR MONEY!!!
You can go and get your money any time you like and that is exactly what I would do

Reactions: Gsr and DJRayner
You can go and get your money any time you like and that is exactly what I would do
You can get the money in your account.

But you can't get the tax money paid to them, to bail them out for bad investment decisions that they made, which they promised to repay with guarantees of good service.

BTW I don't have money in ANZ, I use a non-Big4 bank.

I fully agree. If the bank I use closed its local branch I would change to another bank in my town. If enough people do this the banks will eventually get the message that closing branches is losing them customers, therefore losing business, therefore hopefully losing profits.

"The ANZ branch was a lifeline for many of these residents, who now face the prospect of a 90-minute journey to the nearest branch." The SDC fails to mention that in Katoomba there is also a Commonwealth, NAB and a Bendigo bank. It is only a 90-minute trip if people choose to stay with ANZ then in turn need to travel to the nearest ANZ branch. Might pay to be more specific when putting these stories out there.
VOTE WITH YOUR FEET PEOPLE - close your ANZ account and research your options well (stay away from the big four...). Look up the Australian Citizens Party online - they're trying to push through parliament an Australia Post Bank - owned and ran by Australia! NO elites involved.

We had the branch of ANZ in Leeton close about 3 years ago. Now we have to travel to Wagga Wagga if we want to have a face to face talk with the Bank. They have our money but treat us like we owe them. Just so fed up with being bullied by banks to give them more profit on our money.

Reactions: Marj53
After the ANZ, there's only a few options for Katoomba. One is the Bendigo Bank Community Bank Katoomba-Upper Blue Mountains situated in Katoomba.

Another is the CommBank (whom I think still has a full service branch there). I recall reading the CBA have said no more branch closures until 2026.

Phone banking is another and needs a touch tone handset.

There might be others I'm not aware of.

If I were in Katoomba, I would be supporting the Community bank there as it would encourage more community banks in other places if it were seen as successful.

For the wider issue, I think our authorities/government should introduce regulations that limits branch closures to offset the impact on seniors and other vulnerable groups that sees them continue to have access to in-person banking services. But I can't really see that happening.

The Federal Governments Regional Banking Taskforce inquiry into branch closures, initiated by Morrison's government and concluded by the Albanese Government introduced protocol for banks closing branches, but it all seems a bit light on. Looks like it's down to community leaders (MP's, LGA, and community reps incl First Nations groups) to act. They are all advised, along with customers, about a branch closure.

At the end of the day, support has to go to those prepared to support the community. To me that says support the Community banks by transferring your banking to them!