An ALDI shopper’s discovery will have you re-thinking what you buy

To save money on groceries, we all need to be mindful of what we pick up in supermarkets. This is why comparison shopping is so satisfying; after all, who doesn’t love uncovering a deal that lets us pay less for the same or similar high-quality product?

And one ALDI shopper recently found a jaw-dropping example, showing everyone online that it’s always a good idea to check the labels on the products you buy.

If you're an ALDI fan, you know that the German supermarket chain is often regarded as one of the best retailers that offer bang-for-your-buck deals.

One ALDI shopper has taken to Facebook to boast about the quality of some of the German retailer's products, in particular, the Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce.

sauce1.jpg
What’s your favourite sauce? Credit: David Harvey/Pexels

Sharing her find online, the shopper attached an image comparing the ingredients of the Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce to a jar of the popular Chicken Tonight Honey Mustard Cooking Sauce.

While looking at the label closely, the shopper discovered that the Chicken Tonight Honey Mustard Cooking Sauce had a near identical ingredient list to the ALDI-exclusive Colway Honey Mustard sauce.

‘And to think there are still people out there who refuse to shop at ALDI because they think their products aren’t as good,’ she wrote in her Facebook post.

She added: ‘Comparing the ingredients – which are as similar as you can get – I know which one I’ll be reaching for.’

sauce.jpg
The shopper claimed that the Chicken Tonight sauce had near-same ingredients as ALDI’s Honey Mustard sauce. Credit: Facebook

The customer also pointed out that the ALDI version was significantly cheaper, at around $2 a jar. Chicken Tonight, which can also be found at both Coles and Woolworths, sells for $3 per jar. (As of writing, however, Woolworths is selling the Chicken Tonight sauce for $2.50, meanwhile, Coles is selling the sauce for $3.50.)

‘Saving over $1 a jar,’ the ALDI shopper said.

The similarities in the ingredients list have raised questions over whether the two products are made by the same manufacturer – despite having different price points.

The Chicken Tonight sauce states that it is made in Australia from ‘at least 90 per cent Australian ingredients’.

Meanwhile, an ALDI spokesperson only confirmed that their Colway sauce is made locally.

sauce2.jpg
The Chicken Tonight sauce can be found in Coles and Woolworths stores. Credit: Woolworths

‘Our Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce guarantees a delicious dinner that we’re thrilled to see customers raving about,’ the spokesperson shared.

They added: ‘At under 50 cents a serve, it not only delivers brilliant value to Aussie families but is also manufactured here in Australia.’

Facebook users who saw the shopper’s post said that ALDI’s sauce is ‘so much nicer than other brands’.

‘I usually make it from scratch though, and my kids prefer the ALDI butter chicken sauce to others,’ one shared.

Someone agreed and said: ‘It is nicer than the Chicken Tonight, isn’t it?’

While others had to disagree, some even admitted that this wasn’t the first time they’d noticed similarities between ALDI products and other branded buys. Other Facebook users commented that despite the near-identical ingredients, they could ‘still taste the difference’.

‘I don’t buy any of their jar sauces. Neither my husband nor I like them. They have very different tastes. Not a problem, we like plenty of other things but sauces and milk never go in my trolley,’ one admitted.

‘It’s funny you say this. I love ALDI and don’t snub anything, but this is one of the very few things I find isn’t as good as the full branded one!’ One Facebook user claimed.

‘I’ve had both, and can definitely taste the difference. I much prefer the Chicken Tonight one,’ another explained.

‘Same as their frozen Cuisine Pizza, it’s just McCain’s,’ someone else pointed out. ‘So, if you like it, [it’s] so much cheaper,’ they added.

‘I had it for dinner the other night and was disappointed,’ they shared.

Despite having a near-identical ingredients list, many Facebook users said that they could ‘taste the difference’ between the branded product and ALDI’s version. This could be because of several factors, such as the quality and type of the ingredients, the processing methods used, and the time and care that were taken to create the product.

It’s also possible that brand loyalty can play a part in the ‘taste perception’ of a consumer. Additionally, each person’s taste buds are different, so the taste of a product is subjective, and the difference may not be as noticeable to others. The best way is to compare the sauces for yourself.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper took to Facebook to share her discovery that the ingredients list on a jar of Chicken Tonight Honey Mustard Cooking Sauce was nearly identical to ALDI’s Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce.
  • The ALDI version was significantly cheaper at around $2 a jar, compared to the Chicken Tonight version which generally costs between $2.50 and $3.50).
  • An ALDI spokesperson said the Colway variety is made in Australia but wouldn’t elaborate on whether it was made at the same factory as Chicken Tonight.
  • Despite the near-identical ingredients, some commenters on the Facebook post said they could still taste the difference between the two brands.
Do you think the brands are similar? How often do you compare ingredient labels when grocery shopping? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
To save money on groceries, we all need to be mindful of what we pick up in supermarkets. This is why comparison shopping is so satisfying; after all, who doesn’t love uncovering a deal that lets us pay less for the same or similar high-quality product?

And one ALDI shopper recently found a jaw-dropping example, showing everyone online that it’s always a good idea to check the labels on the products you buy.

If you're an ALDI fan, you know that the German supermarket chain is often regarded as one of the best retailers that offer bang-for-your-buck deals.

One ALDI shopper has taken to Facebook to boast about the quality of some of the German retailer's products, in particular, the Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce.

View attachment 12899
What’s your favourite sauce? Credit: David Harvey/Pexels

Sharing her find online, the shopper attached an image comparing the ingredients of the Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce to a jar of the popular Chicken Tonight Honey Mustard Cooking Sauce.

While looking at the label closely, the shopper discovered that the Chicken Tonight Honey Mustard Cooking Sauce had a near identical ingredient list to the ALDI-exclusive Colway Honey Mustard sauce.

‘And to think there are still people out there who refuse to shop at ALDI because they think their products aren’t as good,’ she wrote in her Facebook post.

She added: ‘Comparing the ingredients – which are as similar as you can get – I know which one I’ll be reaching for.’

View attachment 12898
The shopper claimed that the Chicken Tonight sauce had near-same ingredients as ALDI’s Honey Mustard sauce. Credit: Facebook

The customer also pointed out that the ALDI version was significantly cheaper, at around $2 a jar. Chicken Tonight, which can also be found at both Coles and Woolworths, sells for $3 per jar. (As of writing, however, Woolworths is selling the Chicken Tonight sauce for $2.50, meanwhile, Coles is selling the sauce for $3.50.)

‘Saving over $1 a jar,’ the ALDI shopper said.

The similarities in the ingredients list have raised questions over whether the two products are made by the same manufacturer – despite having different price points.

The Chicken Tonight sauce states that it is made in Australia from ‘at least 90 per cent Australian ingredients’.

Meanwhile, an ALDI spokesperson only confirmed that their Colway sauce is made locally.

View attachment 12900
The Chicken Tonight sauce can be found in Coles and Woolworths stores. Credit: Woolworths

‘Our Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce guarantees a delicious dinner that we’re thrilled to see customers raving about,’ the spokesperson shared.

They added: ‘At under 50 cents a serve, it not only delivers brilliant value to Aussie families but is also manufactured here in Australia.’

Facebook users who saw the shopper’s post said that ALDI’s sauce is ‘so much nicer than other brands’.

‘I usually make it from scratch though, and my kids prefer the ALDI butter chicken sauce to others,’ one shared.

Someone agreed and said: ‘It is nicer than the Chicken Tonight, isn’t it?’

While others had to disagree, some even admitted that this wasn’t the first time they’d noticed similarities between ALDI products and other branded buys. Other Facebook users commented that despite the near-identical ingredients, they could ‘still taste the difference’.

‘I don’t buy any of their jar sauces. Neither my husband nor I like them. They have very different tastes. Not a problem, we like plenty of other things but sauces and milk never go in my trolley,’ one admitted.

‘It’s funny you say this. I love ALDI and don’t snub anything, but this is one of the very few things I find isn’t as good as the full branded one!’ One Facebook user claimed.

‘I’ve had both, and can definitely taste the difference. I much prefer the Chicken Tonight one,’ another explained.

‘Same as their frozen Cuisine Pizza, it’s just McCain’s,’ someone else pointed out. ‘So, if you like it, [it’s] so much cheaper,’ they added.

‘I had it for dinner the other night and was disappointed,’ they shared.

Despite having a near-identical ingredients list, many Facebook users said that they could ‘taste the difference’ between the branded product and ALDI’s version. This could be because of several factors, such as the quality and type of the ingredients, the processing methods used, and the time and care that were taken to create the product.

It’s also possible that brand loyalty can play a part in the ‘taste perception’ of a consumer. Additionally, each person’s taste buds are different, so the taste of a product is subjective, and the difference may not be as noticeable to others. The best way is to compare the sauces for yourself.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper took to Facebook to share her discovery that the ingredients list on a jar of Chicken Tonight Honey Mustard Cooking Sauce was nearly identical to ALDI’s Colway Honey Mustard Simmer Sauce.
  • The ALDI version was significantly cheaper at around $2 a jar, compared to the Chicken Tonight version which generally costs between $2.50 and $3.50).
  • An ALDI spokesperson said the Colway variety is made in Australia but wouldn’t elaborate on whether it was made at the same factory as Chicken Tonight.
  • Despite the near-identical ingredients, some commenters on the Facebook post said they could still taste the difference between the two brands.
Do you think the brands are similar? How often do you compare ingredient labels when grocery shopping? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
I compare ingredients and country of origin, year's ago worked in a Milk factory doing milk 🥛 powder etc people say it's not the same product but it was as the start of the process a cheaper priced box was on the line at the process refined the dearer product was changed out and run and towards the end the old black and gold box finished the line the start not refined properly, mid refined properly the end the same as the front less refined look at the sliced cheese at ALDI Australia product but cheaper have a look at the slices not quite square and slightly thinner it probably the start of the line or end and the machinery isn't set up quite right same taste and cheaper 😀

I buy everything from Aldi, except what they don't carry and a few items that I have tried and do not like. Oat milk...Aldi's is the pits to me but then again some might like it. They do not have a great range of teas so I buy that from woolies when I buy my long life oat milk and my Teenie weenie cans of Fanta no sugar. It's the same as that really cheap Kogan TV you might buy and it's really a Samsung 🤷‍♀️

My son once had a part time casual job, whilst travelling, in a factory that bottled moisturizers .
He said the same product was bottled for many different companies, just different jars and many different prices, from cheap to ridiculously expensive, so you were paying only for the "name"and the jar.