American expat’s confusion over Aussie chip aisle makes the rounds on social media - should Aussies be upset?

Travelling or even moving countries is a great way to broaden your horizons and learn about new things. One of the best parts about travelling (I’m sure we can all agree) is the food. Trying new dishes is a great way to get a taste (literally!) of the local culture.

While we are not going to go into the foods and cultures of other countries in this article, we would like to share with you this story of how one expat made the rounds on social media after she pointed out the 'bizarre' flavours of chips found in Coles aisles…

It can be tough for expats to adjust to the local food of their new homes. While it's great to be able to experience new cuisines, it can be a challenge to get used to dishes that are unfamiliar or even downright 'strange' for their taste buds. Many of us even have comfort food items that may not be available in other countries.

For American expat Katy - who uses the handle @ameristralia on TikTok - she was left baffled when she saw chip flavours that were unknown to her before moving Down Under.

'When you try to buy chips in Australia and have no idea what any of the flavours mean,' she says in the video showing flavours such as 'Kakadu Plum' and 'Lemon Myrtle' that can be found on several Kettle chips varieties.

Credit: TikTok/@ameristralia

The video captured the attention of hundreds of thousands of TikTok users, with many Aussies quick to explain that the flavours are actually native to the country.

One user explained: 'They are bush foods from native Australian plants. We are eating food that came from our own country at last.'

'They are deadly delicious,' another said.

Many more urged Katy to sample as many indigenous dishes as she could.

One person wrote: 'Our chips are godlike, buy one of each.'

'Live dangerously and try some - it may surprise you,' another encouraged.

rA0Nas6vqOKojGCYRXM-G3QYvKsdVFjcz2kqudsmok0c79VoUk5tRIQ3zDMmUOUb7EdCEJEEVJaX0PwOHWYkXrxtj3VUqOtI4KL0W9FP2bEVKP8Oft1_QG1J1JSwXINPoQgJ0EQQOSkbKszGIg4Kqg

Aussies reacted to Katy’s confusion over the ‘unique’ flavours of chips in her local Coles store. Credit: @ameristralia/TikTok.

Speaking of 'original' Australian chips flavours, many took the opportunity to vote for their preferred Coles chip flavours.

One user suggested: 'All you need to know is Light & Tangy and get nothing else.'

'The special edition stuff is usually kinda mid, can’t beat home brand Honey Soy,' another argued.

A third chimed in: 'Have you ever tried Honey Soy Chicken or a Kettle style chip? There’s a reason we’re obsessed.'

'Balsamic Vinegar and Sea Salt is the absolute best flavour, I will die on this hill,' another added.

And one more said: 'Don’t come for me, but Cheese & Onion is superior in my opinion.'

While the video had no intention to poke fun at the flavours of Australia, some people seem to take offence...

One comment read: 'It means we have taste buds still and don’t solely rely on MSG and sugar.'

'Yeah, we like flavours besides cheese and bacon. Another revelation from an American who is shocked that another country is, in fact, not America,' another pointed out.

A third questioned: 'Why do Americans feel the need to get shocked over food endemic to other countries?'

Katy responded to the critics, clarifying that she wasn't making fun of the flavours and urging them to 'calm down'.

'I’m not originally from here but I’ll learn over time,' she wrote.

'It’s interesting, I’m sure you’d be intrigued by other flavours you haven’t seen before.'

There are so many different flavours and ingredients used in cuisine around the world that you're bound to find something new and exciting to try. We’re guilty of walking around grocery stores in other countries and admiring their selection.

Here in Australia, we're known for our vegemite, kangaroo, ‘shrimps on the barbie’ (insert eye roll, it’s PRAWNS) and the humble meat pie. We’re excited that stores are starting to branch into more Aussie flavours like the chips mentioned above.

It's not surprising for expats to feel culture shock when they start discovering the unique cuisine of Australia. After all, they're new to Australia and are taking their time to adjust to their new surroundings.

Keeping that in mind, we want to hear from you! What Australian cuisine is your favourite? Any food in your area that you enjoy the most? Or have you visited another country and found a unique local food? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Travelling or even moving countries is a great way to broaden your horizons and learn about new things. One of the best parts about travelling (I’m sure we can all agree) is the food. Trying new dishes is a great way to get a taste (literally!) of the local culture.

While we are not going to go into the foods and cultures of other countries in this article, we would like to share with you this story of how one expat made the rounds on social media after she pointed out the 'bizarre' flavours of chips found in Coles aisles…

It can be tough for expats to adjust to the local food of their new homes. While it's great to be able to experience new cuisines, it can be a challenge to get used to dishes that are unfamiliar or even downright 'strange' for their taste buds. Many of us even have comfort food items that may not be available in other countries.

For American expat Katy - who uses the handle @ameristralia on TikTok - she was left baffled when she saw chip flavours that were unknown to her before moving Down Under.

'When you try to buy chips in Australia and have no idea what any of the flavours mean,' she says in the video showing flavours such as 'Kakadu Plum' and 'Lemon Myrtle' that can be found on several Kettle chips varieties.

The video captured the attention of hundreds of thousands of TikTok users, with many Aussies quick to explain that the flavours are actually native to the country.

One user explained: 'They are bush foods from native Australian plants. We are eating food that came from our own country at last.'

rA0Nas6vqOKojGCYRXM-G3QYvKsdVFjcz2kqudsmok0c79VoUk5tRIQ3zDMmUOUb7EdCEJEEVJaX0PwOHWYkXrxtj3VUqOtI4KL0W9FP2bEVKP8Oft1_QG1J1JSwXINPoQgJ0EQQOSkbKszGIg4Kqg

Aussies reacted to Katy’s confusion over the ‘unique’ flavours of chips in her local Coles store. Credit: @ameristralia/TikTok.

Speaking of 'original' Australian chips flavours, many took the opportunity to vote for their preferred Coles chip flavours.

One user suggested: 'All you need to know is Light & Tangy and get nothing else.'

'The special edition stuff is usually kinda mid, can’t beat home brand Honey Soy,' another argued.

A third chimed in: 'Have you ever tried Honey Soy Chicken or a Kettle style chip? There’s a reason we’re obsessed.'

'Balsamic Vinegar and Sea Salt is the absolute best flavour, I will die on this hill,' another added.

And one more said: 'Don’t come for me, but Cheese & Onion is superior in my opinion.'

While the video had no intention to poke fun at the flavours of Australia, some people seem to take offence...

One comment read: 'It means we have taste buds still and don’t solely rely on MSG and sugar.'

'Yeah, we like flavours besides cheese and bacon. Another revelation from an American who is shocked that another country is, in fact, not America,' another pointed out.

A third questioned: 'Why do Americans feel the need to get shocked over food endemic to other countries?'

Katy responded to the critics, clarifying that she wasn't making fun of the flavours and urging them to 'calm down'.

'It’s interesting, I’m sure you’d be intrigued by other flavours you haven’t seen before.'

There are so many different flavours and ingredients used in cuisine around the world that you're bound to find something new and exciting to try. We’re guilty of walking around grocery stores in other countries and admiring their selection.

Here in Australia, we're known for our vegemite, kangaroo, ‘shrimps on the barbie’ (insert eye roll, it’s PRAWNS) and the humble meat pie. We’re excited that stores are starting to branch into more Aussie flavours like the chips mentioned above.

It's not surprising for expats to feel culture shock when they start discovering the unique cuisine of Australia. After all, they're new to Australia and are taking their time to adjust to their new surroundings.

Keeping that in mind, we want to hear from you! What Australian cuisine is your favourite? Any food in your area that you enjoy the most? Or have you visited another country and found a unique local food? Share them with us in the comments below!

She is upset about chip flavours. What about Philly Steak a favourite meal in America that is not even steak as suggested in the name. They're a weird mob those Americans

I thought it would be expected to find new dishes, flavours, products wherever you travel.

People don’t seem to be upset when travelling to Asian, European, or Middle Eastern countries, for example, to find a completely different food culture, not just in flavours, but even the food products they eat.

It’s then our choice if we wish to eat these foods, or not.

Isn’t variety supposed to be “the spice of life”?

We don’t all enjoy the same things, whether food, movies, sports, colours, and so on, so “To try, or not to try?” - that is your choice.

P.S. Not all Australians enjoy everything on our supermarket shelves either.

OMG 😆, some people just live to get on social media to have a rant about the most trivial of things!! Seriously, hi back to the Stares lady ! Hasn’t she heard of Google? Lol 😂, look up the names & find out for yourself what they mean or stop whinging about it!!!

I
My taste buds are quite boring I love simple food.
I love a good meat pie we will drive 20 minutes away to get one from a little Bakery in Revesby Sydney.
I also love vanilla slice with passionfruit icing.
IF you want a good pie you can't 😋 go past a Yatla pie just of highway to Gold Coast anyone who has tried one will agree 😉

She reminds me of an American exchange student we once hosted. Anything that was different to back home in America was immediately labelled as "stupid". Example: "Oh, you eat your salad with your main meal. That's stupid". (Apparently her family ate their salad first as an entree). We gently pointed out that they weren't stupid, just different. Finally, I said to her, "Why did you come here if you expected or wanted everything to be exactly the same as back home. You might as well have stayed home and saved your parents thousands of dollars". Her attitude changed after that. I think half the fun of travelling to other countries is to experience new foods and products. What amazed me about America was how adulterated their foods generally are.

She reminds me of an American exchange student we once hosted. Anything that was different to back home in America was immediately labelled as "stupid". Example: "Oh, you eat your salad with your main meal. That's stupid". (Apparently her family ate their salad first as an entree). We gently pointed out that they weren't stupid, just different. Finally, I said to her, "Why did you come here if you expected or wanted everything to be exactly the same as back home. You might as well have stayed home and saved your parents thousands of dollars". Her attitude changed after that. I think half the fun of travelling to other countries is to experience new foods and products. What amazed me about America was how adulterated their foods generally are.
My husband and myself could share a plate in the states. They eat huge

Reactions: Jennylolo
I

IF you want a good pie you can't 😋 go past a Yatla pie just of highway to Gold Coast anyone who has tried one will agree 😉
Gotta agree with you there. Have tried pies all over Australia and Yatala are by far the best. However our bakery at Kenmore has been taken over by a Vietnamese family and you may not believe it but they makes "good ole Aussie" pies to die for. Even mushy peas!

Reactions: viviennemary1951