Amazon Prime Video increases subscription fees by $2.99

As the digital age continues to evolve, so does how we consume our favourite TV shows and movies.

Streaming services have become a staple in Aussie households, offering a variety of media at the click of a button.

However, convenience often comes with a cost.

For Amazon Prime Video users, that cost is set to rise, which may lead some subscribers to re-evaluate their memberships.

Amazon Prime recently announced a price increase that may affect those who prefer an ad-free streaming experience.

While the standard monthly membership fee of $9.99 will remain, it will now include advertisements.

To maintain an uninterrupted streaming experience, members must opt for the 'new plan', which will cost an additional $2.99 monthly, bringing the monthly total to almost $13.

amazon prime.jpg
Amazon Prime Video announced a price increase for ad-free watching, which will be effective in a few weeks. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Diego Thomazini

'Starting July 2, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements,' the company announced via email.

'No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership.'

According to Amazon Prime, the rationale behind this decision was to fund better platform content and sustain investment over time.

For those who dread ads disrupting binge-watching sessions, Amazon Prime promised that ads will be less frequent than typical ads on TV and other streaming providers.

This is not the first time Prime Video members have faced a price hike.

On June 28, 2023, Prime Video members saw a significant increase of $3 per month—a 40 per cent jump from the previous rate.

Consequently, annual memberships also rose from $59 to $79.

Before the price hike, Prime Video subscriptions were unchanged since 2018.

In recent news, Netflix—one of Prime Video's competitors—also announced a $2 price hike across different tiers.

With these price hikes, it's time to weigh the pros and cons of streaming services.

The allure of ad-free streaming is strong, but is it worth the extra $2.99 per month or potentially more for an annual subscription?

Moreover, this sparks a broader conversation about the cost of digital convenience and the increasing trend of subscription services passing on the price of content creation to consumers.

It's a reminder to stay informed and make choices that align with your preferences and finances.
Key Takeaways

• Amazon Prime Video announced a $2.99 monthly increase for customers who want to continue with ad-free streaming.
  • The standard monthly membership plan will remain at $9.99 but will include advertisements.
  • Starting July 2, the ad-free viewing option will raise the service's cost to almost $13 monthly.
  • Amazon Prime stated that introducing advertisements is to fund better content for the platform.
Will you stick with Prime Video and pay extra for an ad-free experience, or will you look for alternative streaming options? You may have tips on how to get the most out of your subscriptions. Share your insights and views with us in the comments below.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: Jevs and Lesle
Sponsored
l had Amazon for screening movies but never again . l tried to cancel my subscription about two months ago but couldn't do it like l did before through my account.l received an email stating they could do it for me through Xpendy by sending a letter but it would cost my $19.99 to do so.Really! why should l have to pay anything just to cancel?.Not only that the letter is to be sent to America which l can't understand as my account was supposed to be Amazon Australia.l would not advise anyone to even think about screening with them. So far nothing has been taken out.

That s weird! last time I wanted to cancel they contacted me with a better offer... will have to try again!
The other thing is: I use Prime not only for streaming, but I quite often buy from Amazon (not only books, but camping, pet gear etc). As a 0rime member you get free delivery and often next day delivery. So the difference of $3 is nothing compared to delivery costs!

That s weird! last time I wanted to cancel they contacted me with a better offer... will have to try again!
The other thing is: I use Prime not only for streaming, but I quite often buy from Amazon (not only books, but camping, pet gear etc). As a 0rime member you get free delivery and often next day delivery. So the difference of $3 is nothing compared to delivery costs!

l took your advice and tried again and it worked. l must have done something wrong before.Thankyou

Reactions: Noraya