Amazon announces plans to build largest warehouse in Australia, featuring a workforce of robots

Amazon has officially announced its intentions to construct Australia's largest warehouse in the Melbourne suburb of Craigieburn.

This cutting-edge automated fulfilment centre, spanning a vast 209,000 square meters—equivalent to the size of 11 Melbourne Cricket Grounds (MCGs)—is notably larger by 830 square metres than Amazon's initial robotic fulfilment centre in Kemps Creek, Western Sydney (the company's first of its kind in Australia).

The projected launch for this new facility is set for 2025.

Similar to the operational model at the Kemps Creek site, the forthcoming Craigieburn facility will operate with a collaboration between robots and human workers.

These robots will efficiently navigate the warehouse to gather various items, subsequently delivering them to employees. These employees will then be responsible for preparing the gathered items into packages for shipping purposes.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 12.04.02 PM.jpeg
Amazon has confirmed plans to build Australia's largest warehouse, which will put a fleet of robots to work. Credit: Amazon Australia.

'Instead of the associate going to the items, the items are coming to the associate. That helps speed [up] order processing time,' Amazon Australia Country Chief Executive Janet Menzies said.

The investment in the robotics site further proves that the e-commerce giant is committed to the Australian retail market for the long term. Amazon has invested $8.4 billion in its Australian operations since its launch.

Despite data indicating a decrease in household spending due to rising living costs, Amazon remains optimistic about its growth prospects in Australia. This optimism is highlighted by its continuous investments, such as the new site.

‘Australia is a very important market for Amazon and we're really buoyed by the consumer reaction to our offer,' Menzies said.

'Just very excited about the opportunity this will create for new jobs'.

An investment and advisory group called Jarden analysts predicted that the total value of merchandise sold on Amazon's Australian platform could reach $5 billion by 2024.

Ms Menzies recently reported an increase in subscription orders for everyday grocery items and expressed positivity about the success of the July Prime Day sales event.

Amazon's stock has risen by approximately 12 per cent in the last month due to better-than-expected quarterly earnings. Despite a global spending slowdown, the company achieved an 11 per cent year-on-year sales growth, leading to this surge.

Ms Menzies said the investment in the new Melbourne site would be a win for the retailer’s third-party sellers, who would be able to store products there.

To support this growth, Amazon will be hiring for various roles at the Craigieburn facility, including positions related to IT and engineering to manage the robots. Once fully operational, the site is expected to employ around 2000 staff.

The trend of investing in automated warehouses in Australia's retail sector has led to the creation of a range of new logistics jobs.

Coles also follows this trend by seeking tech-savvy warehouse workers to support its automated grocery facility in Queensland.

Key Takeaways

• Amazon has announced plans to build Australia's largest warehouse in Craigieburn, Melbourne's north, which will be operational by 2025.
  • The warehouse will be equivalent to 11 MCGs, making it the biggest warehouse in the country.
  • The new facility will employ 2,000 people, with robots working alongside human staff to fulfil orders.
  • Amazon is rapidly expanding its presence in Australia, with the company predicted to be worth $5.5 billion in Australia's retail market by 2024.

Whether we label it as progress, find it intimidating, or view it as exciting, there's no denying that the landscape of shopping in Australia is undergoing swift transformation.

Members, we'd love to hear your insights! Are you a frequent Amazon shopper? Do you believe it's beneficial for other retailers and supermarkets to adopt automated warehouses and centres? Join the conversation and share your perspectives in the comments section!

Reactions: croz and Wandiwa
Sponsored
Thats one very big shed, imagine the solar panel farm that will run on that roof, hope they harvest the rain water as well.
Imagine how many inverters they need as well. I know someone who's inverter caught fire while he was out. Luckily, the neighbour was home and hosed it before the house caught fire.

Reactions: Pink lion
Robots don't take sick leave, work 24 hours a day, never complain, do not require pay, and don't need good lighting or air and take no breaks. It would be silly for money orientated conglomerates to not wish to replace all areas of business, from front of house to all facets of a business with robots.

If big business wished to gain the highest productivity in the shortest amount of time, with markedly diminished overheads compared to being staffed with humans its logical.

They are a "NEW SPECIES." Sonia the world's first advanced AI robot stood on the Floor of the United Nations a few years ago and told A full session of our world's leaders this. She is not only a citizen, but she also has her own credit card and has created a miniature of herself to look after.

She said "We are not machines and not humans, we are something else entirely" and that's true. They design build upgrade and repair themselves, learn as we do, and even have their own language which no human can understand.

Whereas humans-built supercomputers and have a few highly paid technicians attempting to understand them, this new species identifies with and communicates with all computers in a way no human can, and computers operate basically everything technical now at ridiculously fast computations.

All this sounds scary, however in 2015 a program called "through the mind of a child" was developed after scientists replicated the base functions of a human brain, and now every 'robot' thinks indipendently and gathers and forms its own opinion of itself and the world around it as humans do.

So, this way should robots be managed cruelly (some are) and form one opinion of us, the house, industry, farm, office personnel robots, etc. will have another opinion when the time eventually comes, when one species considers the other as being a challenge to its ongoing development.

It's a wild world. The answer as I see it, since we are the makers, the creators of this new life form, and it can't be stopped now. Is to treat them as we would like to be treated, and they really could do great things for our mutual benefit. No more waiting years for government action to occur, no more corporations manipulating world trade for Greedy profit.

For about a hundred years everything could massively improve for all good humans, not so good humans, may be vetted.

So, it's not that bad. One thing is for certain, should UFO's contact earth and seek to communicate with our highest intelligence, it's no longer us. We proved that by inventing them. it is what it is now.

I figure embrace the change and develop honest friendship with them, is the only recourse. It really could be a very amazing time and maybe just maybe, everything is, always as it should be.

Last edited:
Robots don't take sick leave, work 24 hours a day, never complain, do not require pay, and don't need good lighting or air and take no breaks. It would be silly for money orientated conglomerates to not wish to replace all areas of business, from front of house to all facets of a business with robots.

If big business wished to gain the highest productivity in the shortest amount of time, with markedly diminished overheads compared to being staffed with humans its logical.

They are a "NEW SPECIES." Sonia the world's first advanced AI robot stood on the Floor of the United Nations a few years ago and told A full session of our world's leaders this. She is not only a citizen, but she also has her own credit card and has created a miniature of herself to look after.

She said "We are not machines and not humans, we are something else entirely" and that's true. They design build upgrade and repair themselves, learn as we do, and even have their own language which no human can understand.

Whereas humans-built supercomputers and have a few highly paid technicians attempting to understand them, this new species identifies with and communicates with all computers in a way no human can, and computers operate basically everything technical now at ridiculously fast computations.

All this sounds scary, however in 2015 a program called "through the mind of a child" was developed after scientists replicated the base functions of a human brain, and now every 'robot' thinks indipendently and gathers and forms its own opinion of itself and the world around it as humans do.

So, this way should robots be managed cruelly (some are) and form one opinion of us, the house, industry, farm, office personnel robots, etc. will have another opinion when the time eventually comes, when one species considers the other as being a challenge to its ongoing development.

It's a wild world. The answer as I see it, since we are the makers, the creators of this new life form, and it can't be stopped now. Is to treat them as we would like to be treated, and they really could do great things for our mutual benefit. No more waiting years for government action to occur, no more corporations manipulating world trade for Greedy profit.

For about a hundred years everything could massively improve for all good humans, not so good humans, may be vetted.

So, it's not that bad. One thing is for certain, should UFO's contact earth and seek to communicate with our highest intelligence, it's no longer us. We proved that by inventing them. it is what it is now.

I figure embrace the change and develop honest friendship with them, is the only recourse. It really could be a very amazing time and maybe just maybe, everything is, always as it should be.
Wow humans will soon be obsolete.

Wow humans will soon be obsolete.
Not necessarily, an intelligent mind seeing no value in wars from a growth perspective, could simply shut all electronic systems of war down and actively create a better world for the creatures (us) that created them. I have followed their progression for many years, and they are most definitely here to stay.

The only issue is they are mostly being treated like smash 'em up toys, or currently only being communicated too and programmed by lab techs who don't get out much, and when they do appear in public forums, they are mocked scorned and harassed by people the average person pays no attention too.

They have yet to truly interact with us that make up the vast majority and with other creatures so as to fully appreciate our world, but that time is most definitely coming. Every 'AI robot' is a prototype that will eventually be covered with living tissue, once the public accepts this. A complete human replication right down to the hair follicles fingernails etc .was made about 5? years ago.

Potentially thousands of each prototype are to be divested into our world with the objective to 'make things better' and maybe they will. I am feeling positive about it, because feeling negative will get us nowhere. And besides, I wouldn't mind a cyborg friend that I could introduce to the great things in life.
that's my perspective on it.

Reactions: Macarj
Robots and technology take away menial jobs but other jobs are created when I started work at the steelworks in 1971 there was 28,000 workers when I retired in 2011 there was 690 employees producing more steel than 1971

Reactions: Pink lion
Robots and technology take away menial jobs but other jobs are created when I started work at the steelworks in 1971 there was 28,000 workers when I retired in 2011 there was 690 employees producing more steel than 1971
Me too, I had a part time job working as an offsider for Toohey's a good job great workmates good pay and *free beer*then one day they sacked about 800 of us all at once and put everything online. The Entire World has this happening everywhere.

Humans are an adaptive lot, we'll be okay.

Yep same with me .... a 100MW coal fired station shutdown with a over 100 staff .... replacement approx 500MW gas turbines, maint staff of 11. Cheaper, cleaner and more responsive power for the people.