Amanda Keller and husband Harley open up about living with Parkinson’s

Life is undoubtedly unpredictable, which was never more true than for one family dealing with a heartbreaking but regular part of life: illness.

Legendary Australian radio and TV star Amanda Keller recently came out with a courageous revelation in her Double A Chattery podcast—her husband, Harley Oliver, has been silently battling a life-changing illness for six years.

Keller, who has been married to Oliver since 1989, revealed that his condition had been initially mistaken for a sporting injury, especially when she noticed her husband’s unsteady gait and tremor in his hands.

But it was not a sporting injury, as he was later diagnosed with Parkinson's—an incurable brain disorder that causes involuntary movements, and diminishing balance and coordination.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 072827.png
Amanda Keller shared her husband’s Parkinson's diagnosis in her podcast. Credit: @amandarosekeller/Instagram

Like many couples, the pair have had to face challenges head-on. While Keller was candid about the difficulties she has faced while watching her husband struggle, she said that it has brought them closer together over time.

'I miss the ease of life. Of going to a restaurant, [but then] Harley’s back gets sore, and he’s quietly spoken, so the noise overwhelms him. I miss the ease of travel. It changes us,' the 61-year-old TV personality said.

'But we’re not alone in that. Life is this stuff, isn’t it? We talk a lot about long-term relationships and how popular culture celebrates the beginning and the end. But the meat of life, the joy of life, the sadness of life, the true human condition, lies in the middle,' Amanda shared.

The WSFM co-host also let slip the reason why, as a 'self-confessed over-sharer', she had kept the news private.

'It’s hard when people ask, “What’s going on with Harley?”,' she said. 'People are shocked at the changes, and I can’t make that better for anybody. I still don’t know what to say…It’s not a surprise to me, but I still don’t know what to say.'

But it hasn't been all sadness and struggles for the couple. Keller says that after the initial shock wore off, they paused all their plans and bought a holiday house on the New South Wales South Coast to spend more quality time as a family.

The mother-of-two has also devoted herself to exploring what the 'middle of life' truly brings to a relationship instead of simply celebrating its beginning and end.

At the end of the podcast, Keller and her husband can be heard exchanging sweet words of reassurance and devotion—words which many can easily relate to, especially considering the importance of a strong connection with a loved one.

'I love you, Harley,' Keller said.

An emotional Oliver followed suit, 'I love you too. You’re terrific with all of this.'

He added, 'Somebody early on said the one thing that’ll keep you out of a rest home is the relationship you have with your partner, and it’s so true. I’m very grateful that we have that strength.’

Key Takeaways

• Australian radio and TV personality Amanda Keller has revealed that her husband, Harley Oliver, has been privately battling Parkinson’s disease for six years.
  • Keller shared this news on the latest episode of her podcast, saying she first noticed his unsteady gait and tremors in his hands.
  • Despite the challenge, Keller stated that the diagnosis had brought their family closer together, and she emphasised Oliver's resilience and strength.
  • The podcast episode ended on a touching note, with Keller expressing her love for Oliver, who reciprocated the sentiment and praised Keller's support through his journey with Parkinson's disease.

Our thoughts go out to Amanda and Harley at this time and to all of the members here at the SDC who may also be going through tough times due to ill-fated circumstances.

For anyone who wants to know more about Parkinson’s disease, please consider visiting Parkinson’s Australia’s website here.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
sorry for him i have had it 15 years i was told to get a walking frame but so far being pigheaded i still going fine i know at times it gets you down but you have to fight it i am 80 years old and going fine keep yourself busy so you do not think about it

Yes I know what they are talking about - my husband has had it for 13 years. The biggy for him is how people stare at him and those that snigger because they think he is drunk. We don't go out unless it is a shopping week and we eat out on that day - people are fascinated with his eating prowess ( mind boggles)
Currently we are trying to get him off a drug he should never have been given - early days and very hard on him but he is committed to getting off it in the next couple of months. At least we have a good GP and a neuro working on it with us and understand how tough it can be.

sorry for him i have had it 15 years i was told to get a walking frame but so far being pigheaded i still going fine i know at times it gets you down but you have to fight it i am 80 years old and going fine keep yourself busy so you do not think about it
Yes same with my husband - keeping active and busy helps a lot - also keeping stress levels to a minimum.
All the best to you from us.

I wish Amanda and Harley well. It's pretty tough when life throws us a curve ball like this. My husband battled incurable cancer for 13 years, every day was a struggle but he and I battled on together, the love of your life partner and soul mate is what gives you the strength to battle on. Unfortunately he darling husband of 42 years lost his battle in December last year. Savour every moment together xxx

Reactions: Gsr
My Parkinson's journey has not been fun at all. From 2017 it's all been downhill unfortunately also been a little scarey. I see weird things in shadows around me, have horrendous nightmares and other stuff. Just been through a particularly trying time the last 9 months. I'm only 65 but feel 265 some days. I also have Sarcoidosis which adds up to no fun at all, thoroughly crappy time. But I keep pushing forward even though I have built up cutlery, drink out of plastic cups but at least my grandchildren find me amazing fun. Love like you know how and just be happy

Reactions: terri and Gsr