Alison Langdon breaks down in tears on Today Show as she announces her departure from the programme

For the past three years, one of the most familiar faces on TV has been Alison Langdon, co-host of The Today Show.

However, it was announced on Sunday that Ally would be leaving the show in order to assume the role of host at A Current Affair.

She will be replacing Tracy Grimshaw, who will be leaving the A Current Affair programme to spend more time with her two adult children.

With Ally's last week on-air quickly approaching — and knowing that the show’s host, Karl Stefanovic, would be trying his hardest to make the experience as 'unforgettable' as possible — fans and viewers tuned in to watch the farewell.

And Karl did not disappoint. If anything, and despite the show being aired early in the morning, Ally and fans were made to feel like they were part of a late-night TV show.

5713174da431c7e07cd3b3f9d64780be

Ally Langdon joined co-host Karl Stefanovic to present the Today Show on Monday morning after announcing that it will be her last week on the programme. Credit: Nine.

During the opening of the show, Karl declared: 'Alison Langdon, everyone — the new host of A Current Affair, of course. Congratulations, Ally.'

'I wasn’t sure what you would do this morning… I knew it would be something,' commented Ally.

Then, Karl joked that he 'spent the whole weekend working' on his brief acknowledgement of her new gig, which will begin on January 30 next year.

Ally replied by sarcastically praising his 'production value' with Karl saying that it was merely the result of the work of the entire Today Show staff.

'That’s all the Today Show’s production value. That part of the reason you have moved on?' he asked, before informing Ally that there would be 'a big week planned for you'.

In a statement released with yesterday's announcement, 60 Minutes reporter Sarah Abo will be Ally's replacement.

Abo is 'a terrific interviewer with the most devilish sense of humour,' according to Stefanovic.

'I can’t wait for the country to see all of those wonderful qualities every day at breakfast,' he said.

In addition, he was all praise for his outgoing co-host, bringing up the shocking knee injury she sustained while recording a watersports programme for Today in February 2021, which made national headlines.

Stefanovic remarked: 'Ally has been extraordinary over the last three years. Battling through some tough personal physical obstacles to broadcast to the country during really difficult times. She’s an incredible broadcaster and I’ll miss working with her tremendously. Though, I won’t miss her dancing.'

After all of the jokes, Ally broke down in tears when she talked about how sad she was that her late father-in-law, Mike Willesee, hadn't had the opportunity to witness her taking on the same role that he had held for many years.

Mike passed away in 2019 after a lengthy illness, leaving a big hole in the lives of many people who loved him.

'It's a pretty special thing to the family if I'm honest. A special thing for Mike which has sort of surprised me how much emotion he'd had around it,' Ally said, referring to her husband of 14 years, Michael Willesee Jr.

'There's the thought of how nice it would have been had he been here,' she continued, breaking down in tears.

Ally also had some advice for her replacement about how to deal with Karl.

'Call me for a counselling session and I’ll say, ‘What did he do now?’ That’s how I’ll answer the phone,' she teased.

Along with the announcement on Sunday, both Today and A Current Affair released statements thanking the two women for their love and support throughout their time on either show.

'Ally has been an incredible talent and friend, and we are looking forward to seeing her bring the news to the rest of Australia,' Today said.

A Current Affair also expressed its gratitude, with Executive Producer Martin Geddes saying: 'We are delighted Ally is joining the team at A Current Affair and can't wait to show Australia her incredible interviewing skills.'

Key Takeaways

• Ally Langdon is leaving the Today show to host A Current Affair.
  • Karl Stefanovic has joked about Langdon's resignation and her replacement, Sarah Abo.
  • Langdon has expressed her sadness at leaving the Today show, particularly because her late father-in-law, Mike Willesee, didn't get to see her in the same role.

There you have it, folks! For those of you who regularly tune in to the Today show, what are some of your favourite moments with Ally Langdon? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have been a huge fan of Karl and Ally. I think I love the fact they can joke and laugh, including at themselves, which is refreshing in a world that is filled with people so easily offended about anything and everything. I wish Ally every success in her new role.

For the past three years, one of the most familiar faces on TV has been Alison Langdon, co-host of The Today Show.

However, it was announced on Sunday that Ally would be leaving the show in order to assume the role of host at A Current Affair.

She will be replacing Tracy Grimshaw, who will be leaving the A Current Affair programme to spend more time with her two adult children.

With Ally's last week on-air quickly approaching — and knowing that the show’s host, Karl Stefanovic, would be trying his hardest to make the experience as 'unforgettable' as possible — fans and viewers tuned in to watch the farewell.

And Karl did not disappoint. If anything, and despite the show being aired early in the morning, Ally and fans were made to feel like they were part of a late-night TV show.

5713174da431c7e07cd3b3f9d64780be

Ally Langdon joined co-host Karl Stefanovic to present the Today Show on Monday morning after announcing that it will be her last week on the programme. Credit: Nine.

During the opening of the show, Karl declared: 'Alison Langdon, everyone — the new host of A Current Affair, of course. Congratulations, Ally.'

'I wasn’t sure what you would do this morning… I knew it would be something,' commented Ally.

Then, Karl joked that he 'spent the whole weekend working' on his brief acknowledgement of her new gig, which will begin on January 30 next year.

Ally replied by sarcastically praising his 'production value' with Karl saying that it was merely the result of the work of the entire Today Show staff.

'That’s all the Today Show’s production value. That part of the reason you have moved on?' he asked, before informing Ally that there would be 'a big week planned for you'.

In a statement released with yesterday's announcement, 60 Minutes reporter Sarah Abo will be Ally's replacement.

Abo is 'a terrific interviewer with the most devilish sense of humour,' according to Stefanovic.

'I can’t wait for the country to see all of those wonderful qualities every day at breakfast,' he said.

In addition, he was all praise for his outgoing co-host, bringing up the shocking knee injury she sustained while recording a watersports programme for Today in February 2021, which made national headlines.

Stefanovic remarked: 'Ally has been extraordinary over the last three years. Battling through some tough personal physical obstacles to broadcast to the country during really difficult times. She’s an incredible broadcaster and I’ll miss working with her tremendously. Though, I won’t miss her dancing.'

After all of the jokes, Ally broke down in tears when she talked about how sad she was that her late father-in-law, Mike Willesee, hadn't had the opportunity to witness her taking on the same role that he had held for many years.

Mike passed away in 2019 after a lengthy illness, leaving a big hole in the lives of many people who loved him.

'It's a pretty special thing to the family if I'm honest. A special thing for Mike which has sort of surprised me how much emotion he'd had around it,' Ally said, referring to her husband of 14 years, Michael Willesee Jr.

'There's the thought of how nice it would have been had he been here,' she continued, breaking down in tears.

Ally also had some advice for her replacement about how to deal with Karl.

'Call me for a counselling session and I’ll say, ‘What did he do now?’ That’s how I’ll answer the phone,' she teased.

Along with the announcement on Sunday, both Today and A Current Affair released statements thanking the two women for their love and support throughout their time on either show.

'Ally has been an incredible talent and friend, and we are looking forward to seeing her bring the news to the rest of Australia,' Today said.

A Current Affair also expressed its gratitude, with Executive Producer Martin Geddes saying: 'We are delighted Ally is joining the team at A Current Affair and can't wait to show Australia her incredible interviewing skills.'

Key Takeaways

• Ally Langdon is leaving the Today show to host A Current Affair.
  • Karl Stefanovic has joked about Langdon's resignation and her replacement, Sarah Abo.
  • Langdon has expressed her sadness at leaving the Today show, particularly because her late father-in-law, Mike Willesee, didn't get to see her in the same role.

There you have it, folks! For those of you who regularly tune in to the Today show, what are some of your favourite moments with Ally Langdon? Share them with us in the comments below!

Although I don't watch much TV in the mornings, on the occasions that I do, I've always enjoyed the Today Show. I think Ally and Karl have been a great team because Ally has this wonderful ability to laugh and not take herself too seriously. Just delightful.