Alert for collectors: Your valuables could be at risk with Australia Post – Man's rare coins lost!

It is believed that the thrill of collecting is not just in the acquisition of rare and unique items but also in the meticulous care with which people preserve and protect them.​

For manys, collecting may be a cherished hobby or even a form of investment.

However, a recent incident involving Australia Post has raised concerns about the safety of sending and receiving collectibles through the mail.

Stephen Ferguson, a coin collector from Mackay, Queensland, learned this the hard way when his set of limited-edition coins, including a special monarchy set, a Chinese New Year set, and a set of King Charles $1 coins, went missing in transit.

The entire package, which he hoped would appreciate in value over time, cost him $145—a modest sum for a potentially lucrative future return.

The excitement of adding these treasures to his collection turned to dismay when Ferguson received a notification of delivery, only to discover that the parcel had been sent to an incorrect address.

pasted image 0 (3).png
Australia Post's refund policy, available on its website, indicates that customers 'may be entitled' to compensation up to $100 if goods are lost or damaged. (Source: iStock)

Understandably, Ferguson sought compensation for his loss. Australia Post offered an apology and $100 in compensation, the maximum under its policy.

However, Ferguson found this amount to be 'unfair’, as it did not cover the full cost of his coins.

‘They basically lost it,’ Ferguson said.

‘I tried to tell them I wanted at least the money back for the cost of goods, which was only $145 mind you, but still it's the principal of the thing.’

‘And, the fact that it was a collector's item, so who knows down the track what it might have been worth. I'll never know that now,’ he continued.

A spokeswoman for Australia Post extended an apology to Ferguson and assured that they would continue efforts to retrieve the lost item.

She also highlighted that the vast majority of the 9.5 million parcels delivered each week reach their correct destinations safely.

This incident is a reminder that, despite the convenience of modern shipping, there are risks involved, particularly when it comes to irreplaceable items.

So, what can you do to protect your collectibles when using postal services? Here are a few tips:

1. Insurance: Always insure valuable items for their full value when shipping. While it may cost a bit more, it provides peace of mind and financial protection.
  2. Tracking: Use a service that offers detailed tracking and delivery confirmation to ensure you can follow your package's journey.
  3. Secure Packaging: Make sure your items are securely packaged to prevent damage during transit.
  4. Clear Labeling: Ensure the address is clearly written and correct, and consider adding a return address just in case.
  5. Personal Delivery: For extremely valuable items, you might want to consider personal delivery services where the item is hand-delivered to the recipient.
  6. Feedback: If you encounter issues, provide feedback to the postal service. They may not be able to rectify the past, but your input could help improve services for the future.

Key Takeaways
  • Stephen Ferguson, a coin collector from Mackay, Queensland, criticised Australia Post for losing his set of limited-edition coins purchased from the Royal Mint.
  • Even though Australia Post offered an apology and $100 in compensation, Ferguson stated the amount was not enough to cover his costs and noted the value could have potentially increased due to their nature as collector's items.
  • Ferguson received notification that his parcel had been delivered but discovered it had been sent to an incorrect address and the package could not be located.
  • Australia Post's spokeswoman stated the company's refund policy allows for compensation of up to $100, but Ferguson feels the mistake was not his fault and that he should not incur the loss.

Dear members, have you ever faced a similar situation with lost or damaged collectibles? How did you handle it, and what advice would you give to fellow collectors? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australia post doesn't doesn't give rats arse about your parcels or mail. According to Australia post I moved to a new location 1400k's away from my usual address. Thats where my mail has been going!!

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM and oldsalt
41 years ago, my engagement ring and wedding ring went “missing “ in a certified mail envelope from Australia Post. Once they found out they were insured privately, they stopped searching!!

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
We also had a coin go to a wrong address. They knew where it was delivered to but were unable to get it back for some unexplained reason. We lodged a request to the police to follow up and they were also unable to get it back. It was a birthday gift for our grandson and also would have increased in value. It cost us a lot more to find another one.

• Sad
I had an incident years ago when they delivered an opened letter in a plastic bag the letter had contained a Christmas card with small present for my kids from their great aunt. Someone in post opened it stole the contents

• Wow
Australia Post generally offers a great service that fundamentally costs less since the introduction of various sizes of satchels. Don't be put off by random stories. If you have something valuable extra coverage can be provided. I have no hesitation using Australia Post.

I reckon that Australia Post has a couple of gigantic warehouses located in or around Perth and Darwin. After having lost a number of items over the years this has to be the only answer. All my lost parcels were traced to either Perth or Darwin after which they disappeared from the face of the Earth. In fact, I just bought a pair of Nike Trainers online. This was after getting a really good deal on a pair about two months ago. The first pair were from the same distributor and were sent to the correct address and arrived in three days from my placing the order. The second pair which were the same size package going to the same address from the same supplier seemed to suffer some sort of delay. My address is in a NSW town called Woonona by the way. After several conversations with Australia Post they said that they were having some difficulty getting the parcel to the correct sorting area. You can say that again. The parcel started off it's journey from Brisbane and was sent to Parks, NSW, From there it went to a sorting centre in Perth, WA? Another phone call got it moved to another sorting facility in Perth? It was then sent to Sydney, NSW and then on to my home address. I was grateful. It took twelve days to arrive. How is that efficient in anyone books?

Reactions: Sue's
This happened to me with a rare collectable item which was irreplaceable. It came from the UK and disappeared from Aust Post at the Adelaide Airport. I was devastated. I was only given the money I had paid for purchase plus postage but that no way compensated me for such a rare item that stood to appreciate in value. They told me it still may be delivered to me & if so I could keep the compensation money. To me it wasn't good enough and in hindsight I now wish I had taken it further & listed it with the police as a stolen item as I still feel this was the case. It is now 2 years later, it has never turned up and someone must have it somewhere. Very disappointed in Australia post.

I bought pennies online. The first package was never delivered. I had replacements sent. The next package was better disguised and reached its destination. I will leave you to decide where the first one ended up

I was unaware of this until recently. Australia Post undelivered items are put into auction at a number of Auction houses. It would vary from state to state ie what state they end up in.

We have lots of parcels and have no problems. Lots of problems with other carriers The worst we have had lately has been parcels too big for the letterbox ,stuffed inside

We live in a suburb of Brisbane and frequently have our letters delivered to another street with a different name just behind ours (and to the same house there). The resident often walks around to our place to do the postman’s job. I’ve also have had a ‘return to sender’ parcel of fairly large canvas pictures go missing - AusPost’s reaction ‘Was it insured? Sorry, then we can’t do anything about that’. So someone had a nice Christmas gift at my expense as it was in November. Don’t trust AusPost much any more and the people delivering who cannot read.