ALDI's strategy to tackle shoplifting—could it change supermarkets forever?

Supermarkets—our go-to places for everyday essentials and great deals. We all enjoy strolling down the aisle and catching up with familiar faces. But amidst the hustle and bustle, there's an unfortunate downside: shoplifting.

Supermarket giants, including ALDI, are fed up with shoplifters affecting their profit margins and have started implementing high-tech security measures to deter those with sticky fingers.

compressed-unlock-g415b3a723_1280.jpeg
At Darlinghurst ALDI, large monitors, approximately the size of desktop computers, have been installed above all the self-serve checkouts. Image by Mohamed_hassan from pixabay

A recent report revealed that ALDI has installed large, high-definition monitoring screens above all self-serve checkouts at their Darlinghurst store.

These screens will surveil customers as they bag their items, displaying the text 'monitoring in progress' to remind everyone that they are watching closely for potential theft.

Although it is unclear at this stage whether these screens have been installed at any of the nearly 600 ALDI stores nationwide, it seems this might be a step in the right direction for reducing shoplifting incidents.

An ALDI spokeswoman said to 9News, 'ALDI has CCTV in place across all our stores as a security measure to ensure the safety of our customers and employees and monitor for theft.’

‘We are trialling a variety of new CCTV technologies across a select number of stores that are in line with all relevant surveillance laws.'

compressed-Screenshot_4.jpeg
Woolworths’ self-checkouts incorporate camera vision and artificial intelligence to identify instances where items may not have been scanned accurately. Source: Woolworths

ALDI's move follows supermarket rival Woolworths, who rolled out their own camera scanning facilities for self-checkouts earlier this year.

Woolworths' technology uses camera vision and artificial intelligence to detect when items are incorrectly scanned.

If a product is not properly identified, a short video of the incident is replayed to the customer, giving them a chance to rescan the missed item.

Key Takeaways
  • ALDI is implementing screens above self-serve checkouts to monitor potential shoplifting at its Darlinghurst location.
  • The high-definition screens read 'monitoring in progress' as they scan shoppers during the checkout process.
  • ALDI is currently testing various new CCTV technologies in select stores, complying with all relevant surveillance laws.
  • This move follows Woolworths, who introduced camera scanning facilities at their self-checkouts earlier this year, using artificial intelligence to detect incorrect item scanning.

Although it's understood that ALDI's high-definition monitoring screens do not currently use facial recognition or AI technology, it's a noteworthy strategy designed to put a dent in the battle against shoplifting.

Will ALDI's Security Approach Transform Supermarkets?​

Only time will tell. However, it will be interesting to see if, in the near future, other supermarket chains follow suit with similar high-tech strategies to protect their bottom lines and maintain a safer environment for their customers and employees.

Members, how do you think these high-tech security measures will impact your future supermarket visits? Share your thoughts, and let's discuss!

Sponsored
I think it is partly to check that the operator includes every item. They scan the items so quickly that on occasions I'm sure they miss a couple of items

Reactions: Rosalie30
How can items be stolen after they’ve gone through the checkout? You put your items on the belt, the cashier checks that any bags you have in the trolley are empty before putting them through, then you bag them. Oh, perhaps they’re above the self-service checkouts that some Aldi stores now have. Or maybe I just don’t have a theft mindset! 🤣

Supermarkets—our go-to places for everyday essentials and great deals. We all enjoy strolling down the aisle and catching up with familiar faces. But amidst the hustle and bustle, there's an unfortunate downside: shoplifting.

Supermarket giants, including ALDI, are fed up with shoplifters affecting their profit margins and have started implementing high-tech security measures to deter those with sticky fingers.

View attachment 22636
At Darlinghurst ALDI, large monitors, approximately the size of desktop computers, have been installed above all the self-serve checkouts. Image by Mohamed_hassan from pixabay

A recent report revealed that ALDI has installed large, high-definition monitoring screens above all self-serve checkouts at their Darlinghurst store.

These screens will surveil customers as they bag their items, displaying the text 'monitoring in progress' to remind everyone that they are watching closely for potential theft.

Although it is unclear at this stage whether these screens have been installed at any of the nearly 600 ALDI stores nationwide, it seems this might be a step in the right direction for reducing shoplifting incidents.

An ALDI spokeswoman said to 9News, 'ALDI has CCTV in place across all our stores as a security measure to ensure the safety of our customers and employees and monitor for theft.’

‘We are trialling a variety of new CCTV technologies across a select number of stores that are in line with all relevant surveillance laws.'

View attachment 22637
Woolworths’ self-checkouts incorporate camera vision and artificial intelligence to identify instances where items may not have been scanned accurately. Source: Woolworths

ALDI's move follows supermarket rival Woolworths, who rolled out their own camera scanning facilities for self-checkouts earlier this year.

Woolworths' technology uses camera vision and artificial intelligence to detect when items are incorrectly scanned.

If a product is not properly identified, a short video of the incident is replayed to the customer, giving them a chance to rescan the missed item.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI is implementing screens above self-serve checkouts to monitor potential shoplifting at its Darlinghurst location.
  • The high-definition screens read 'monitoring in progress' as they scan shoppers during the checkout process.
  • ALDI is currently testing various new CCTV technologies in select stores, complying with all relevant surveillance laws.
  • This move follows Woolworths, who introduced camera scanning facilities at their self-checkouts earlier this year, using artificial intelligence to detect incorrect item scanning.

Although it's understood that ALDI's high-definition monitoring screens do not currently use facial recognition or AI technology, it's a noteworthy strategy designed to put a dent in the battle against shoplifting.

Only time will tell. However, it will be interesting to see if, in the near future, other supermarket chains follow suit with similar high-tech strategies to protect their bottom lines and maintain a safer environment for their customers and employees.

Members, how do you think these high-tech security measures will impact your future supermarket visits? Share your thoughts, and let's discuss!
I would suggest that the only people to object to any type of security system are those who practice “shoplifting “ when they shop. Any system which can cut down the incidence of shoplifting or any other form of theft has to be applauded as the money saved will be passed on to customers.

Every business has the right to ensure the safety of staff and customers and to monitor every body that comes through their doors because, as we all know, some people think that they can have everything and anything they want and not pay for it. Theft is huge, the world over. This is why we pay so much for everything, not just food. Good on Aldi for making a stand.

There is an easy solution to the majority of shoplifting instances - get rid of self-checkouts & use staff to check out all goods.
I hate & refuse to use self checkouts as I am not employed by the store & won't do the work of a person who could be employed to do this for me.

There is an easy solution to the majority of shoplifting instances - get rid of self-checkouts & use staff to check out all goods.
I hate & refuse to use self checkouts as I am not employed by the store & won't do the work of a person who could be employed to do this for me.
I'm with you, elaine41, these businesses can't have it both ways!!

View attachment 22636

View attachment 22637

Key Takeaways

if you have nothing to hide then no problems. those that squawk about privacy are the ones to watch.

I would suggest that the only people to object to any type of security system are those who practice “shoplifting “ when they shop. Any system which can cut down the incidence of shoplifting or any other form of theft has to be applauded as the money saved will be passed on to customers.
Good luck with "money saved" being passed on to customers HA!

Reactions: Tervueren
How can items be stolen after they’ve gone through the checkout? You put your items on the belt, the cashier checks that any bags you have in the trolley are empty before putting them through, then you bag them. Oh, perhaps they’re above the self-service checkouts that some Aldi stores now have. Or maybe I just don’t have a theft mindset! 🤣
That's what the article said above self serve

Reactions: Tervueren
All 3 main supermarkets state we as the customer, want these self serve checkouts, so we can be their unpaid cashier and whizz through quickly and on our way.
Not sure what the % of Australian customers would put their hand up to agree.
A local Coles store nearby me has electronic security tags on their meat now.

Well, if all checkouts were manned theft would not occur would it? It's the supermarket's fault for introducing self-checkouts. Also, more people would be employed if the checkouts were all manned.
Shoplifting has been a problem decades before self-checkouts were introduceds!

All 3 main supermarkets state we as the customer, want these self serve checkouts, so we can be their unpaid cashier and whizz through quickly and on our way.
Not sure what the % of Australian customers would put their hand up to agree.
A local Coles store nearby me has electronic security tags on their meat now.
They didn't ask us. They told us. Then they installed the checkouts & rake in the profits, laughing all the way to the bank while we cry all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Penny4
They didn't ask us. They told us. Then they installed the checkouts & rake in the profits, laughing all the way to the bank while we cry all the way to the bank.
They didn't ask me either, but I read it in the newspapers/online news. Blamed us as an excuse. Then, bam self-checkouts were born!

Last edited:
It’s only the self service check points- I think!
Be better if they paid someone to scan the goods- gives someone a job and reduces expenses on screens
Aldi is paving the way to self-service checkouts. Soon there will be no checkouts either. Items will be scanned as you gather them together and all you have to do is leave the store and the total of the goods will be debited to your cards as everything will be cashless...watch this space

I rarely shop at Aldi now because of food additives that we're allergic too in a lot of their products so this would just give me more excuse NOT to go there. Besides the store nearest me is in a awkward place to get too anyway and they don't have the good specials they once had. They used to have exciting special buys but now they are boring as dog turds are smart. And they got expensive throughout the store for lower quality. Gave up when couldn't buy the things i wanted and had always got there.

I think it is partly to check that the operator includes every item. They scan the items so quickly that on occasions I'm sure they miss a couple of items
These are over the self serve checkouts as I understand the article. As I don't use them, not a concern. I am already supervised by checkout operator!

Reactions: IAN3005

View attachment 22636

View attachment 22637

Key Takeaways

Well, I guess it’s one way to stop the theft, if there’s less theft groceries might be a little bit cheaper. I don’t have a problem with it because I don’t thieve and have nothing to hide
If they can stop it in the store, they have more chance of saving money. Because the three people who thief just seem to get a rap of the knuckles, and they do it again and again. Well done supermarkets. 👏👏👏