ALDI's latest release deemed 'overpriced' and 'lazy' by shoppers

Shopping on a budget can be a real hassle. It's no wonder that people turn to convenience, especially when it comes to their groceries.

But the latest offering from an ALDI supermarket has shoppers scratching their heads and reaching deep into their wallets.

One savvy ALDI shopper took to a popular Facebook page to share their discovery. They found pre-cut watermelon slices packaged in recyclable plastic containers and priced at $6.99 a pop.

While some customers were fans of this convenient and refreshing snack, others were not impressed. They took issue with the amount of plastic used in the packaging.

But the real kicker for many shoppers was the price – which was too steep for their budgets.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.56.28 AM.png
An ALDI shopper noticed that the retail chain was now selling plastic containers filled with slices of pre-cut watermelon. Credit: Facebook.

'I think watermelon is more expensive this summer overall but this is insane,' said one customer.

'Cheaper to buy the watermelon and spend the minute it takes cutting it yourself.'

The other controversy that got everyone talking was the criticism of shoppers who opt for pre-cut food for its cost and convenience.

'That's just lazy,' sneered one shopper.

But hold up! Let's not be too quick to judge. We should consider all angles before making assumptions.

As some Facebook commenters pointed out, there are many reasons why someone might choose pre-cut options. People with arthritis or disabilities may have a hard time cutting their own food.

'My mum used to have to buy a lot of pre-cut veggies because she couldn't do it herself due to her age,' said another shopper. 'It's just a shame they are so expensive. It would be great if they could offer a discount for pensioners.'

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.56.34 AM.png
The shopper shared a photo of the product which is being sold in ALDI stores for $6.99 each. Credit: Facebook.

An ALDI spokesperson has weighed in on the heated debate over their pre-cut watermelon controversy and confirmed that the plastic containers used to store the juicy slices are, in fact, recyclable.

'We have a strong and proven commitment to reducing plastics in our stores,' they claimed, citing the company's Plastics and Packaging Progress Report with a goal of cutting plastic packaging by a quarter by 2025.

'With fresh produce, especially produce that has been prepared for convenience, there are not always suitable plastic-free packaging options, however, the container and lid of the freshly cut watermelon are recyclable in a customer's kerbside recycling bin.'

We've talked about a similar incident before. Remember when shoppers were up in arms over a supermarket packaging peeled mandarin in plastic cups? ‘The fruit already has its own packaging, so why add more plastic to landfill?’

Even more surprising is that the same piece of fruit, which typically costs around 50 cents unpeeled, was being sold for a whopping $9.50! That's some markup.

But our SDC members have a different take on this. For those who may not have the ability to cut or peel their own fruit, this pre-cut option can be a lifesaver.

As @Mistydolphin1 pointed out, 'If it upsets you, walk away. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. I have a friend with bad arthritis in the knuckles of both hands, this would be great for her.'

@Iggydi chimed in, 'I buy pre-cut and pre-packaged fruit. I don't want to waste half a watermelon or rockmelon that I won't be able to finish before it goes bad.'

And the best part? Buying pre-cut fruit means you CAN get more bang for your buck. As @Iggydi further explained, 'I usually get the pre-packaged fruit that also has strawberries and passionfruit and honeydew melon from the local green grocer. If I bought them individually, it would cost me a lot more.'

But most of our members all agree on one thing – supermarkets mark up these items way too high. As @Mr Benson said, 'That price! Certainly not [for people who] are on disability pension!'
Key Takeaways

• ALDI supermarket has sparked intense debate with pre-cut watermelon.
  • Many were critical of the 'unnecessary' use of plastic, as well as the 'expensive' price of the sliced watermelon packs.
  • Some defended ALDI over the buy, saying it was a great option for the elderly and those with a disability.
  • An ALDI spokesperson has confirmed that the plastic containers used to store the sliced watermelon are recyclable.
You read it here, folks! Before you jump on the anti-pre-cut bandwagon, it's important to remember that these handy items can be a lifesaver for those with disabilities and mobility issues.

Members, what's your take on pre-cut produce? Do you prefer them over unpeeled ones? Weigh in your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yep, I know of two people who would be very glad of this!
1) myself - fibromyalgia means that hauling a full watermelon out of the fridge & then safely chopping it have the potential to cause a crash lasting days, weeks, or occasionally months. Pre-cut watermelon is far cheaper from my perspective.
2) a friend who endured terrible abuse as a child might happily start cutting up a watermelon (or veggies) into slices, only to “come to her senses” (for want of a better term) using that same knife to slice her own skin. When I take her shopping, I never comment when she buys pre-cut any more, having realised what a huge godsend these conveniences are to her.

Shopping on a budget can be a real hassle. It's no wonder that people turn to convenience, especially when it comes to their groceries.

But the latest offering from an ALDI supermarket has shoppers scratching their heads and reaching deep into their wallets.

One savvy ALDI shopper took to a popular Facebook page to share their discovery. They found pre-cut watermelon slices packaged in recyclable plastic containers and priced at $6.99 a pop.

While some customers were fans of this convenient and refreshing snack, others were not impressed. They took issue with the amount of plastic used in the packaging.

But the real kicker for many shoppers was the price – which was too steep for their budgets.

View attachment 12606
An ALDI shopper noticed that the retail chain was now selling plastic containers filled with slices of pre-cut watermelon. Credit: Facebook.

'I think watermelon is more expensive this summer overall but this is insane,' said one customer.

'Cheaper to buy the watermelon and spend the minute it takes cutting it yourself.'

The other controversy that got everyone talking was the criticism of shoppers who opt for pre-cut food for its cost and convenience.

But hold up! Let's not be too quick to judge. We should consider all angles before making assumptions.

As some Facebook commenters pointed out, there are many reasons why someone might choose pre-cut options. People with arthritis or disabilities may have a hard time cutting their own food.

'My mum used to have to buy a lot of pre-cut veggies because she couldn't do it herself due to her age,' said another shopper. 'It's just a shame they are so expensive. It would be great if they could offer a discount for pensioners.'

View attachment 12607
The shopper shared a photo of the product which is being sold in ALDI stores for $6.99 each. Credit: Facebook.

An ALDI spokesperson has weighed in on the heated debate over their pre-cut watermelon controversy and confirmed that the plastic containers used to store the juicy slices are, in fact, recyclable.

'We have a strong and proven commitment to reducing plastics in our stores,' they claimed, citing the company's Plastics and Packaging Progress Report with a goal of cutting plastic packaging by a quarter by 2025.

'With fresh produce, especially produce that has been prepared for convenience, there are not always suitable plastic-free packaging options, however, the container and lid of the freshly cut watermelon are recyclable in a customer's kerbside recycling bin.'

We've talked about a similar incident before. Remember when shoppers were up in arms over a supermarket packaging peeled mandarin in plastic cups? ‘The fruit already has its own packaging, so why add more plastic to landfill?’

Even more surprising is that the same piece of fruit, which typically costs around 50 cents unpeeled, was being sold for a whopping $9.50! That's some markup.

But our SDC members have a different take on this. For those who may not have the ability to cut or peel their own fruit, this pre-cut option can be a lifesaver.

As @Mistydolphin1 pointed out, 'If it upsets you, walk away. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. I have a friend with bad arthritis in the knuckles of both hands, this would be great for her.'

@Iggydi chimed in, 'I buy pre-cut and pre-packaged fruit. I don't want to waste half a watermelon or rockmelon that I won't be able to finish before it goes bad.'

And the best part? Buying pre-cut fruit means you CAN get more bang for your buck. As @Iggydi further explained, 'I usually get the pre-packaged fruit that also has strawberries and passionfruit and honeydew melon from the local green grocer. If I bought them individually, it would cost me a lot more.'

But most of our members all agree on one thing – supermarkets mark up these items way too high. As @Mr Benson said, 'That price! Certainly not [for people who] are on disability pension!'
Key Takeaways

• Many were critical of the 'unnecessary' use of plastic, as well as the 'expensive' price of the sliced watermelon packs.
  • Some defended ALDI over the buy, saying it was a great option for the elderly and those with a disability.
  • An ALDI spokesperson has confirmed that the plastic containers used to store the sliced watermelon are recyclable.
You read it here, folks! Before you jump on the anti-pre-cut bandwagon, it's important to remember that these handy items can be a lifesaver for those with disabilities and mobility issues.

Members, what's your take on pre-cut produce? Do you prefer them over unpeeled ones? Weigh in your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Good idea however, after throwing out mountains of watermelon that’s stored in fridge after cutting it, I’ve found placing paper towel under it, cut it then paper towel on top it stores quite well and lasts much longer!

View attachment 12606

View attachment 12607

Key Takeaways

Well I'm fortunate enough to be able to cut up whole watermelons, which these days aren't that big. Whatever happened to the old style elongated one's? they all seem to be round now. I'm a vegetarian and watermelon is my go to snack, although I have to be careful as I have diabetes. I replace carbs with it and go through a lot. I can see where this would be so convenient for someone living by themselves or someone who had issues with hand strength, there's always a price to pay for convenience and its up to the individual to be able to purchase it without judgement.

View attachment 12606

View attachment 12607

Key Takeaways

I had bought precut fruit before which were pretty good while travelling on a trip or just for a picnic, but, precut watermelons with their skin on placed together in a box... I have always doubted if the watermelons were ever washed or even wiped before selling in cuts. No, I wont buy them packed in boxes, thank you.

• Sad
Reactions: Rosalie30 and Ricci
I had bought precut fruit before which were pretty good while travelling on a trip or just for a picnic, but, precut watermelons with their skin on placed together in a box... I have always doubted if the watermelons were ever washed or even wiped before selling in cuts. No, I wont buy them packed in boxes, thank you.
YOU can wash them you know?

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 12606

View attachment 12607

Key Takeaways

I have no problem with the idea of precut fruit of any kind. However I have fou

Reactions: Ricci