ALDI's British culinary journey for Australian shoppers—here's what you're missing out on!

For many Australians, ALDI isn't just a supermarket—it's a treasure trove of unique finds and international delights that can transport taste buds across the globe.

When ALDI announces its Special Buys, especially during themed weeks, it's akin to a retail festival for shoppers.

One of the most anticipated events in this calendar is British Week when expats and Anglophiles flock to the middle aisles to get a taste of the UK.

As items flew off the shelves within mere hours of hitting the floor. Jenny, an ALDI employee, shared:

'It's been very busy with lots of English customers who have been stocking up on their much-loved English items,' she said.

'We sold out of some lines within a few hours.'

unnamed.png
ALDI saw a surge in customers purchasing large quantities of British products. Credit: Jenny Collins / Facebook

Last week, ALDI shoppers bought British items in bulk. Employee Jenny mentioned that they struggled to keep up with the demand.

The array of products is a nod to the UK's pantry staples and sweet treats. From HP and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce to prawn cocktail chips, ALDI's British Week caters to the cravings of those missing home.

Chocolates like Galaxy Revels, Yorkie bars, and lollies like fruit pastilles were just a few confectionery options with shoppers reminiscing about their UK days.

The excitement isn't just contained within the store aisles.

Social media was abuzz as British ex-pats in Australia showed off their ALDI hauls, with some spending over $100 to stock up on their favourite items.

'I squealed with excitement,' one shopper said.

While similar items might be found at other supermarkets or specialty international stores, ALDI's affordability and the chance to buy in bulk make it an irresistible draw.

Many Brits claim chocolate made in the UK is superior, and ALDI's British Week offers them a chance to indulge in these beloved flavours without breaking the bank.

With over one million UK-born individuals residing in Australia, this event is a comforting connection to their homeland.

Despite the Australian government's efforts to manage migration numbers, the UK remains a leading source of visa recipients, including those on working holidaymaker visas.

The recent trade agreement with the UK has even removed the requirement for regional work for these visa holders, further strengthening the ties between the two countries.

If you want to indulge in more of the UK's culinary delights, ALDI offers a new selection of British-inspired chips.

These limited-time flavours include prawn cocktails, bangers & mash, and Worcestershire sauce. Learn more about these tasty treats here.
Key Takeaways

• Aldi's Special Buys event for British Week was proven extremely popular, especially among expats craving products from home.
  • Some products sold out within hours due to high store demand, with customers stocking up on favourites.
  • Shoppers shared their large hauls on social media, with some spending over $100 on British goods.
  • More than one million British-born people reside in Australia, maintaining a high demand for UK products.
Did you snag some British goodies during Aldi's Special Buys event? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Fancy face
Sponsored
No, I find Aldi "special" buys expensive and can be found online
Also the "internation" cuisine is not so international and prefer other european style supermarkets. Aldi's fruit and vegetables remind of Woolies -the not fresh food people

I’m a British expat but no I didn’t go to Aldi this time. When I first came in 1968 I really missed some things, the main things being the soft drink called Tizer , Mc Vities Digestives and Penguin bars. I stopped drinking soft drink and discovered Tim Tams which are actually better than Penguins ! Every time someone visited us they bought McVitie biscuits for me for years but now we can get them here all the time and I rarely buy them 🤷‍♀️ I think it’s just a matter of what you get used to.

Loved the Yorkshire Teabags. They are $6 plus in Coles, and this week were $4.99 at ALDI. Good savings.
This week a couple of other Oldies like me were shaking our heads in puzzlement at the ALDI range of Cast iron cookware, the lid on it own was so heavy I could barely lift it. Imagine how dangerous a pot + lid +filled with burning hot food would be if one tried to lift out of the oven. That is just silly. 🤬🤒

I love the English Fry's cream chocolate I bet they have not got that in Aldi's and pear drops, you can get these at the little sweet shop in Karringal hub they sell all English sweets and chocolates.

Loved the Yorkshire Teabags. They are $6 plus in Coles, and this week were $4.99 at ALDI. Good savings.
This week a couple of other Oldies like me were shaking our heads in puzzlement at the ALDI range of Cast iron cookware, the lid on it own was so heavy I could barely lift it. Imagine how dangerous a pot + lid +filled with burning hot food would be if one tried to lift out of the oven. That is just silly. 🤬🤒
well, you would not use it, if you did that would be silly but everyone is not you.

• Sad
Reactions: DiRose
I love the English Fry's cream chocolate I bet they have not got that in Aldi's and pear drops, you can get these at the little sweet shop in Karringal hub they sell all English sweets and chocolates.
They did have the FRYS cream Chocolate. Another favourite of mine.

The Prawn Cocktail chips are the best. You must try them.
Enjoy kind regards to all Vicki
Totally agree.I lived in the Uk for 6 years,and every Friday night would have a Newcastle Brown Ale and a packet of prawn cocktail chips.Brings back fond memories.All the best.