ALDI Takes Over Australia's Supermarket Scene with Billions in Savings!

We all know that grocery shopping can cause headaches, particularly when prices soar. It's particularly tough for Australians who are still feeling the pinch of the cost of living crisis.

Budget supermarkets have become a popular source of savings for many people, and leading that charge in the supermarket game is ALDI.

Renowned for its low prices and famed middle-aisle specials, ALDI has become a household name as Aussies continue to tighten their belts and look for ways to save.

Recent figures reveal that ALDI’s rise in popularity is not just a rumour but a fact.

More Australians have shifted toward the German supermarket, contributing to its significant sales growth.

Current data shows that in the last quarter of 2022, the number of customers shopping at ALDI stores grew 4.2 per cent compared to the previous quarter.

1682486808508.png
ALDI has been the go-to retailer of many Aussie bargain hunters. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to ALDI Managing Director Jordan Lack, the company has observed a shift in customer purchasing behaviour.

He remarked: ‘Existing customers are shopping with us more frequently, and an increasing number of Australians are looking to ALDI for their grocery needs.’

‘We have seen increases in what we call the “centre of the plate” - or proteins and vegetables - as Australians try to reduce pressure on their household budget without compromising on the quality of the family meal.'

PwC, the accounting firm that compiled and analysed the data, found that the company has shared $3.1 billion in annual savings with its customers.

It's not just ALDI shoppers who are benefiting, though; non-Aldi shoppers are obtaining savings too.

The firm claims that ALDI’s market presence put pressure on grocery prices, saving non-ALDI shoppers a total of $675 million last year alone and $7.8 billion over the past two decades since its first store opened its doors in Australia.

'We aim to cut out unnecessary costs and pass these savings onto customers,' he continued.

'This has never been tested more than it was in the past year, and we're proud that we've been able to maintain our price leadership at a time when Australians need it most.'

It is clear that many of us are swapping out our loyalty to older supermarkets and making the change to ALDI.

This significant shift is reflected in a 13.2 per cent increase in sales growth in the last quarter alone.

Comparatively, Coles saw a 3.9 per cent growth, reaching $20.8 billion in sales revenue for the second half of 2022. Woolworths sales grew by 4.0 per cent, reaching $33.2 billion in the same period.

Customers who were visiting ALDI for the first time accounted for 2 per cent of growth.

Key Takeaways
  • ALDI has experienced significant sales growth in Australia, with its low prices and quality products attracting budget-conscious shoppers.
  • Recent data shows a 4.2 per cent increase in customers shopping at ALDI stores in the last quarter of 2022 compared to the previous quarter.
  • According to PwC, ALDI has shared $3.1 billion in annual savings with its customers and has saved non-ALDI shoppers $7.8 billion over the past two decades due to its market presence putting pressure on grocery prices.
  • ALDI's sales growth outperforms Coles and Woolworths, with 73 per cent of growth customers shifting all or some of their spending to ALDI from other retailers and existing ALDI shoppers increasing their spending by 25 per cent.

There you have it, folks! Our suggestion is to approach grocery shopping with an open mind.

Additionally, look into money-saving tips and tricks so you can make the most out of your shopping experience.

What are your thoughts on the news that ALDI is becoming more popular? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all know that grocery shopping can cause headaches, particularly when prices soar. It's particularly tough for Australians who are still feeling the pinch of the cost of living crisis.

Budget supermarkets have become a popular source of savings for many people, and leading that charge in the supermarket game is ALDI.

Renowned for its low prices and famed middle-aisle specials, ALDI has become a household name as Aussies continue to tighten their belts and look for ways to save.

Recent figures reveal that ALDI’s rise in popularity is not just a rumour but a fact.

More Australians have shifted toward the German supermarket, contributing to its significant sales growth.

Current data shows that in the last quarter of 2022, the number of customers shopping at ALDI stores grew 4.2 per cent compared to the previous quarter.

View attachment 18354
ALDI has been the go-to retailer of many Aussie bargain hunters. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to ALDI Managing Director Jordan Lack, the company has observed a shift in customer purchasing behaviour.

He remarked: ‘Existing customers are shopping with us more frequently, and an increasing number of Australians are looking to ALDI for their grocery needs.’

‘We have seen increases in what we call the “centre of the plate” - or proteins and vegetables - as Australians try to reduce pressure on their household budget without compromising on the quality of the family meal.'

PwC, the accounting firm that compiled and analysed the data, found that the company has shared $3.1 billion in annual savings with its customers.

It's not just ALDI shoppers who are benefiting, though; non-Aldi shoppers are obtaining savings too.

The firm claims that ALDI’s market presence put pressure on grocery prices, saving non-ALDI shoppers a total of $675 million last year alone and $7.8 billion over the past two decades since its first store opened its doors in Australia.

'We aim to cut out unnecessary costs and pass these savings onto customers,' he continued.

'This has never been tested more than it was in the past year, and we're proud that we've been able to maintain our price leadership at a time when Australians need it most.'

It is clear that many of us are swapping out our loyalty to older supermarkets and making the change to ALDI.

This significant shift is reflected in a 13.2 per cent increase in sales growth in the last quarter alone.

Comparatively, Coles saw a 3.9 per cent growth, reaching $20.8 billion in sales revenue for the second half of 2022. Woolworths sales grew by 4.0 per cent, reaching $33.2 billion in the same period.

Customers who were visiting ALDI for the first time accounted for 2 per cent of growth.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI has experienced significant sales growth in Australia, with its low prices and quality products attracting budget-conscious shoppers.
  • Recent data shows a 4.2 per cent increase in customers shopping at ALDI stores in the last quarter of 2022 compared to the previous quarter.
  • According to PwC, ALDI has shared $3.1 billion in annual savings with its customers and has saved non-ALDI shoppers $7.8 billion over the past two decades due to its market presence putting pressure on grocery prices.
  • ALDI's sales growth outperforms Coles and Woolworths, with 73 per cent of growth customers shifting all or some of their spending to ALDI from other retailers and existing ALDI shoppers increasing their spending by 25 per cent.

There you have it, folks! Our suggestion is to approach grocery shopping with an open mind.

Additionally, look into money-saving tips and tricks so you can make the most out of your shopping experience.

What are your thoughts on the news that ALDI is becoming more popular? Let us know in the comments below!
Love Aldi! Been a fan for years! Yay!!!

love Aldi it is time we had some competition for the other 2 they have had it so good for so long

Reactions: Ricci
Have loved Aldi since it arrived in SA. Like their ad says, you might need to shop elsewhere for something in particular, but you’ll always be back for your main shop. 👍

ps Can’t understand the folks who WON’T shop there. ???

Have loved Aldi since it arrived in SA. Like their ad says, you might need to shop elsewhere for something in particular, but you’ll always be back for your main shop. 👍

ps Can’t understand the folks who WON’T shop there. ???
I won’t shop there for several reasons - I hate having to use a coin for my trolley, the trolleys are too big (although I think I read they had introduced smaller trolleys recently), I absolutely detest their checkout process where my groceries are practically thrown at me, the checkout operators barely say hello, there’s never any staff on the floor if I have a problem, they only stock about two thirds of what I buy regularly, so I have to finish my shop elsewhere, and when I compare Aldi prices with WW own brands there’s very little difference. The one thing I do like about Aldi is that they don’t play music. 🤣

View attachment 18354

Key Takeaways

Aldi prices have also risen on different products. Check prices if you can before you buy. We have found a $30.00 increase in our bill at Aldi for same products bought week after week.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I have noticed that Aldi is now selling brand stock, the same as the other 2. It reminds me of the old Jewel supermarkets, the original black and gold label, you had to bag your own groceries with them as well.

Reactions: Colette 3799
As soon as they turned up a long time ago I checked them out. They were to my liking and anything that could break the duopololy of the time, the 10km radius you could not get the "other"one had to be good;They were not "allowed"in shopping centers, and the big 2 which owned liquor shops pretended that selling alcohol at Aldi was to be the end of the world. Someone I know, now in Townsville, bemoan the fact that they still dont have an Aldi...yes I bring some stuff in when I visit.

Last edited: