ALDI shoppers take drastic measures to face this ‘shortage’

As the cost-of-living crisis grips the nation, ALDI customers in one city have been pushed to take extraordinary steps to address an unexpected shortage.

The scarcity in question? Shopping baskets.

Yes, you read that right. Shoppers have been seen navigating the aisles with their groceries piled into boxes.

This peculiar scene unfolded at the Westfield Eastgardens store in Sydney, where the usual stack of baskets was replaced by a trolley brimming with boxes.

The shortage wasn't isolated to this location, with reports of similar situations at ALDI stores in Waterloo, Eastgardens, and North Strathfield.

shutterstock_1645325761.jpg
ALDI shoppers were seen carrying boxes while shopping due to basket 'shortage'. Credit: Shutterstock

Staff members speculated suspicions of theft as the culprit behind the vanishing baskets, though ALDI has remained tight-lipped, declining to comment on the speculation.

The coin deposit trolley system, a familiar sight at ALDI stores, is often bypassed by those looking to avoid the hassle or simply lacking the coin.

This has increased reliance on baskets, making their absence all the more felt.

ALDI was said to address the issue, but the impact on the shopping experience is already evident.

It's worth noting that ALDI only introduced shopping baskets across all its stores in April 2022, a move that was met with enthusiasm from customers seeking a more convenient shopping trip for smaller hauls.

'We recognize that Australians are looking for greater convenience when they visit our stores,’ an ALDI spokesperson stated.

‘To make it more efficient for our customers to do a smaller grocery shop, we will be introducing shopping baskets across all of our stores.’

While ALDI's competitors, Coles and Woolworths, have invested heavily in anti-theft technology, including cameras, smart gates, and trolley-locking systems, ALDI has maintained a more relaxed approach.

Their self-service checkouts, for instance, operate without the responsive weight plates that other supermarkets use to detect incorrectly placed items in the baggage area.

Despite the recent price hikes—a response to the financial pressures felt across the retail sector—ALDI continues to hold its ground as a beloved shopping destination.

The supermarket has clinched the title of Australia's favourite supermarket for six consecutive years in Canstar's Supermarket Satisfaction awards, a testament to its enduring appeal among consumers.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI customers in Sydney have faced a shortage of shopping baskets, leading them to use boxes for their groceries.
  • The shortage is believed to be due to a spike in thefts of baskets, though ALDI has not confirmed this.
  • ALDI has been known for not investing in extensive anti-theft technology like its competitors.
  • Despite financial pressures and price increases, ALDI remained popular in Australia and has won the country's favourite supermarket award for six years.
Have you encountered similar issues at your local supermarket? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
  • “ALDI has been known for not investing in extensive anti-theft technology like its competitors.”
I guess time will tell before ALDI will need to revisit their anti-theft measures, if they have any. Does this mean shoppers at ALDI are seen as more honest than shoppers at their competition? 🤔
No prizes for guessing I’m not an ALDI fan. 😆

I went to do a major grocery shop at Aldi in Kardinya, WA yesterday. I was met with a bank of the $2 coin trolleys. As I don't carry cash, I went to Coles instead. If they want to make thing more difficult for shoppers, they can go without my business.

Reactions: DLHM
I went to do a major grocery shop at Aldi in Kardinya, WA yesterday. I was met with a bank of the $2 coin trolleys. As I don't carry cash, I went to Coles instead. If they want to make thing more difficult for shoppers, they can go without my business.
It's not a matter of making things more difficult for shoppers, they want their trolleys back and this system clearly works. I walk around our local parks and Cole's and Woolworths trolleys are dumped there by lazy customers who have no right to take them out of the carpark. You Don't see Aldi trolleys out and about!

And they wonder why people have to be treated like criminals. It’s because they are. Just ask motels hotels etc. They take everything that’s not screwed down