ALDI Shopper Shocked by 54 Per Cent Price Increase of Frozen Veggies in Just 6 Months - Is Healthy Eating Becoming a Luxury?

Food is an essential part of our daily lives, and we all deserve access to quality, healthy produce without having to break the bank.

However, it seems that finding such food has become increasingly difficult in recent times.

A concerned shopper recently took to the ALDI Mums Facebook group to share their distress over the rising cost of groceries and the decreasing quality of produce.

The shopper's post brought attention to the staggering increase in the cost of a 1kg pack of Market Fare Frozen Winter Vegetables.

What's more alarming is the price hike that has occurred in just six months.

In October 2022, the same pack was priced at $2.72, but as of April 2023, it now costs a staggering $4.19, representing a whopping 54 per cent increase.

1682060553959.png
One shopper reported how the price of frozen vegetables at their local ALDI store increased 54 per cent in six months. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

The post generated a gloomy discussion in the comments section, with many members expressing their concern over the rising prices of groceries.

One member wrote: ‘It's an absolute joke, rentals and mortgages going up, bills going up, food is going up.’

‘Yet no one's pay is rising, so we can afford any of it!!! Soon we will have to choose to either feed our family or have a roof over their heads! It's so stressful!'

Some members pointed out that price hikes, even at discount retailers like ALDI, were happening across the board.

One person wrote: ‘I used to buy all my frozen veggies from ALDI, BUT they are not too expensive anymore. They doubled the prices!’

‘The price increases at ALDI are a joke - it’s really not much cheaper. I have been buying less and less at ALDI and only going for the things I like there,’ another said.

It's not all doom and gloom, though - there are some positive takeaways. Some members pointed out that it's often cheaper to buy fresh produce from a local fruit and veggie grocer than it is to buy frozen veggies from ALDI.

Others suggested that Woolworths and other supermarkets often have special deals and reward points that can help alleviate some of the cost.

One shopper shared: ‘I’ve been buying the Baked Beans at ALDI for a long time .65c a can. Now it’s .99c. Rather buy at Woolies when on special and claim my reward points.’

‘Last week at Woolies they had Blue Ribbon Ice Cream on special for $2.80 instead of $7.00, which is the same price at ALDI. So I’ve stocked up.’

It should be noted that ALDI has been in hot water before over the ‘shrinkflation’ allegations regarding their frozen veggies.

Key Takeaways
  • A shopper shared a post comparing the price of a 1kg pack of frozen winter vegetables from six months ago to the present day, revealing a 54 per cent price increase.
  • The frozen vegetables' price jumped from $2.72 in October 2022 to $4.19 in April 2023.
  • Many comments expressed frustration and disappointment over the price increase and noted changing shopping habits to other supermarkets or opting for fresh vegetables.
  • Some commenters questioned if the increase is due to inflation or price gouging and pointed out the lack of pay increases to match the rising costs of goods.

The rising cost of groceries is not a new issue, and it's not limited to just one supermarket chain.

Still, the shopper's post underscores the need for consumers to be vigilant about the cost and quality of the food they purchase.

It's essential to be aware of the changes in pricing and product quality to make informed decisions about what to buy and where to shop.

As we navigate this challenging landscape, it's critical to advocate for fair pricing and access to nutritious food for everyone.

So, there you have it, folks! Have you noticed a similar trend in other grocery items? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I only wish we had a Green grocers here. Prices of fruit and veggies are ridiculous! I dislike veggies that have been in cool rooms for too long.
Up to now I had grown as much myself however, leading up to recently my 80th year and having Cronic fatigue from another illness I've had enough. No more . I was giving away more than I ate.
Now I look between the 3 big stores for specials watching how prices go up on a daily basis. Greed, that's all it is.

I too have noticed the huge increase in frozen vegies. To make my money go round it looks like I’ll have to stop purchasing one of my regular items. Aldi is not much cheaper for frozen vegies than the other retailers Is this price hiking ever going to end….

I go to a farmers market here in Tasmania the vegies were expensive but super fresh so I didn't mind of course now that supermarkets have upped their prices the market is now cheaper

Food is an essential part of our daily lives, and we all deserve access to quality, healthy produce without having to break the bank.

However, it seems that finding such food has become increasingly difficult in recent times.

A concerned shopper recently took to the ALDI Mums Facebook group to share their distress over the rising cost of groceries and the decreasing quality of produce.

The shopper's post brought attention to the staggering increase in the cost of a 1kg pack of Market Fare Frozen Winter Vegetables.

In October 2022, the same pack was priced at $2.72, but as of April 2023, it now costs a staggering $4.19, representing a whopping 54 per cent increase.

View attachment 17989
One shopper reported how the price of frozen vegetables at their local ALDI store increased 54 per cent in six months. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

The post generated a gloomy discussion in the comments section, with many members expressing their concern over the rising prices of groceries.

One member wrote: ‘It's an absolute joke, rentals and mortgages going up, bills going up, food is going up.’

‘Yet no one's pay is rising, so we can afford any of it!!! Soon we will have to choose to either feed our family or have a roof over their heads! It's so stressful!'

Some members pointed out that price hikes, even at discount retailers like ALDI, were happening across the board.

One person wrote: ‘I used to buy all my frozen veggies from ALDI, BUT they are not too expensive anymore. They doubled the prices!’

‘The price increases at ALDI are a joke - it’s really not much cheaper. I have been buying less and less at ALDI and only going for the things I like there,’ another said.

It's not all doom and gloom, though - there are some positive takeaways. Some members pointed out that it's often cheaper to buy fresh produce from a local fruit and veggie grocer than it is to buy frozen veggies from ALDI.

Others suggested that Woolworths and other supermarkets often have special deals and reward points that can help alleviate some of the cost.

One shopper shared: ‘I’ve been buying the Baked Beans at ALDI for a long time .65c a can. Now it’s .99c. Rather buy at Woolies when on special and claim my reward points.’

‘Last week at Woolies they had Blue Ribbon Ice Cream on special for $2.80 instead of $7.00, which is the same price at ALDI. So I’ve stocked up.’

It should be noted that ALDI has been in hot water before over the ‘shrinkflation’ allegations regarding their frozen veggies.

Key Takeaways

• A shopper shared a post comparing the price of a 1kg pack of frozen winter vegetables from six months ago to the present day, revealing a 54 per cent price increase.
  • The frozen vegetables' price jumped from $2.72 in October 2022 to $4.19 in April 2023.
  • Many comments expressed frustration and disappointment over the price increase and noted changing shopping habits to other supermarkets or opting for fresh vegetables.
  • Some commenters questioned if the increase is due to inflation or price gouging and pointed out the lack of pay increases to match the rising costs of goods.

The rising cost of groceries is not a new issue, and it's not limited to just one supermarket chain.

Still, the shopper's post underscores the need for consumers to be vigilant about the cost and quality of the food they purchase.

It's essential to be aware of the changes in pricing and product quality to make informed decisions about what to buy and where to shop.

As we navigate this challenging landscape, it's critical to advocate for fair pricing and access to nutritious food for everyone.

So, there you have it, folks! Have you noticed a similar trend in other grocery items? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Woolworths frozen winter vegetables were $3.00 per kg and are now $5.00

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I have noticed that too. I am eliminating those items I consider to be "none essential from the monthly shop. It will get to the stage where I drink water only.
I have found a greengrocer where the prices are cheaper than any of the big 3 supermarkets and the quality is better. 1 can still keep the cost of feeding my son and I for about $2.50 a day... for now anyway.

• Sad
Greed. Is it ever going to stop//.The Supermarkets are out to get you. The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things. For people who have time, room & can afford pots of all kinds, buy seedlings or packets of seeds & grow vegetables yourself. From 3 yrs old I was taught by my parents. If you think it is bad now you had better think 12 months ahead because you could be eating the dirt they grow in....unless these greedy monsters stop their cruel competitiveness. Short cuts like rhubarb, potatoes especially for eg. Keep two with eyes in them whilst preparing a meal & plant them. In six months time, you will have enough to keep them ongoing. Nature does the rest with water. Pumpkin is so easy to grow. Artichokes will take over your whole garden if you let them. They are so good for you especially the Jerusalem ones. Easy-peasy so even just a few veggies are worth money. AND, you never need much room for herbs either. Get cracking. Make TIME! You are going to enjoy the freshness. In time you will be hooked on "grow & demand.*

View attachment 17989

Key Takeaways

Prices are going up while quantity and quality are coming down, and neither will be the same again.

Yes I’ve noticed Aldi frozen veg go up hugely- I buy their cauliflower bake as a base for a vegetable dish I make and it’s gone from $4.99 to almost $7.00 in the last few months
Can’t be a side dish anymore has to be the main course!

I go to a farmers market here in Tasmania the vegies were expensive but super fresh so I didn't mind of course now that supermarkets have upped their prices the market is now cheaper
I bought veggies at a local farm. . They literally lasted weeks. I couldnt believe the difference from shop bought veggies

View attachment 17989

Key Takeaways

So much for cheaper frozen than fresh option. With prices sky rocketing healthy eating goes out the window and increases the chance of poor health and hence more pressure on Medicare and hospitals. It sucks.

View attachment 17989

Key Takeaways

View attachment 17989

Key Takeaways

Aldi's used to be very reasonably priced but it's getting just like any other store. Caged eggs went from $3.09 to $4.29 for a dozen in less than 6mths in Victoria, I should between them and Coles but get most of my fresh vegetables from the farmer. Normal fortnightly shopping bill for too has got that expensive that I buy only what I really need no extras.

Sadly for us frozen lasts longer, we do get fresh as in onions, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, sweet potatoes and mushrooms but really only when on special or in small quantities because we don't want to waste food either. I never go to Aldi's I have never liked buying from them it just hasn't ever appealed to me. I do however check Coles, Woolies, Foodland and Drakes to see what they have on special. Although I won't go out of my way to go to Foodland or Drakes as where I normally shop doesn't have either shop in the area. But if I know of a special and it's a good bargain and I am passing either Foodland or Drakes then if I have time I will stop in. I don't have a problem searching to see what is on special, but I won't go out of my way to save a few cents either.

Yes I’ve noticed Aldi frozen veg go up hugely- I buy their cauliflower bake as a base for a vegetable dish I make and it’s gone from $4.99 to almost $7.00 in the last few months
Can’t be a side dish anymore has to be the main course!
I set a standard price on things and don't buy if it goes over that price.
many things have been eliminated from the monthly shop.

• Sad
Reactions: DrivingGirl