ALDI Shopper Discovers Shocking ‘Unusual’ Substance in Popular Dip

It goes without saying that ready-to-eat meals and snacks have become a godsend for many time-pressed individuals, many of whom don’t have the time to cook for themselves.

They are certainly convenient and – in some cases – relatively healthy options when compared to some of the other processed alternatives out there.

Unfortunately, as you can imagine, low-cost processed foods can leave much to be desired.

That’s why it’s important to read the labels carefully and know what you’re eating.

For one ALDI shopper in particular, reading the label may not have been enough to prevent a stomach-churning moment.

The woman, who purchased the Deli Originals product from the Bridge St store in Toowoomba on Saturday, said she had opened the popular dip and found an 'appalling' bright green mass inside.

1e59eb10-dd8d-11ed-b977-e11de23e258c

An ALDI customer took to social media to report an ‘unusual’ green substance that she discovered inside a pack of the retailer’s Deli Originals avocado dip. Credit: Facebook.

The shopper wrote in a Facebook post: ‘Has anyone else seen this before?’

‘First and last time I’ll ever buy this, I think. It’s an avo-nope from me.’

Fellow ALDI shoppers were quickly alarmed after seeing photos of the 'disgusting' find, with many people accusing the dip of containing food colouring which hadn’t been mixed through properly.

One person wrote: 'Hardly surprising, doesn’t taste like avocado, just enough in there to be able to call it Avocado Dip. Bought once and never again, no avo flavour.’

'Absolutely disgusting just makes you realise what they are really putting in our food,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘Yuck! What a false green colour! Sooooo disappointing.’

‘I’ve seen it before after purchasing the dip and I refuse to buy it again. Made me feel sick just looking at it,’ another claimed.

But not all customer experiences were negative. One ALDI shopper insisted that the dip 'just needs a good stir', adding that 'there’s nothing wrong with the taste’.

Belinda Smith, CEO of The Root Cause, said that food colouring is often used to 'enhance the visual appeal' of processed products.

Ms Smith, a child health advocate, also added that she is not familiar with the specific ingredients present in the avocado dip from the supermarket.

However, she emphasised that food colours, flavours, and preservatives are commonly found in ultra-processed foods.

‘Some are made artificially and others are natural, meaning they start from using an animal or plant source,’ Ms Smith said.

‘Both are made in a chemistry lab and used in food and drink manufacturing. The natural sources rarely resemble the original source.’

As such, she suggests that consumers research and become informed about the ingredients in the foods they consume.

When asked about the manufacturing process and the green substance found in the dip, ALDI declined to comment on whether it was food colouring.

However, the company did recommend that dissatisfied customers return the product to the store for a full refund.

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland woman found an unusual bright green mass in ALDI's avocado dip that she had purchased.
  • Many commenters on social media suggested that the green substance could be food colouring that hadn't been mixed properly.
  • ALDI declined to comment on the composition of the product but encouraged unsatisfied customers to return items for a full refund.
  • Child health advocate Belinda Smith stated that artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives are commonly used in ultra-processed foods, and some research links them to various health issues.

Members, it's important to always stay vigilant when purchasing packaged foods and to always read the ingredients list.

If something doesn't seem right or taste good, don't hesitate to return the product and request a refund, as your health and satisfaction should come first.

Have you ever had a strange experience with a food product? Share your experiences in the comments below. We also recommend checking out this article, where we reported on how a pre-packaged salad bought from a major retailer signalled a health hazard among shoppers.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Sponsored
Why does everything have to be shared on social media? Okay, so there is a lump of colouring, just take it back to Aldi and get refunded. End of story!
I actually think this is a good one to share. My kids buy avocado dip and I'm guessing they think it's green because of the avocado not green food colouring !!!

You could also ask do they actually put real food in some of these products? did you know that Margarine is the same colour as engine oil until they add food colouring to make it look like butter.
Food colouring is added to most foods. If people saw the actual true colour of most products then they would never purchase it. Remember the saying... you eat with your eyes !!!

Everything we eat that is processed has food colouring in it. I think people just like social media too much. I was expecting to see a bug of some kind. If people took the time to read the ingredients they would see exactly what is in the product. You don’t have hundreds of workers from Aldi,Coles,Woolies etc sitting around adding ingredients it is done where the products are made,just saying.

It goes without saying that ready-to-eat meals and snacks have become a godsend for many time-pressed individuals, many of whom don’t have the time to cook for themselves.

They are certainly convenient and – in some cases – relatively healthy options when compared to some of the other processed alternatives out there.

Unfortunately, as you can imagine, low-cost processed foods can leave much to be desired.

That’s why it’s important to read the labels carefully and know what you’re eating.

For one ALDI shopper in particular, reading the label may not have been enough to prevent a stomach-churning moment.

The woman, who purchased the Deli Originals product from the Bridge St store in Toowoomba on Saturday, said she had opened the popular dip and found an 'appalling' bright green mass inside.

1e59eb10-dd8d-11ed-b977-e11de23e258c

An ALDI customer took to social media to report an ‘unusual’ green substance that she discovered inside a pack of the retailer’s Deli Originals avocado dip. Credit: Facebook.

The shopper wrote in a Facebook post: ‘Has anyone else seen this before?’

‘First and last time I’ll ever buy this, I think. It’s an avo-nope from me.’

Fellow ALDI shoppers were quickly alarmed after seeing photos of the 'disgusting' find, with many people accusing the dip of containing food colouring which hadn’t been mixed through properly.

One person wrote: 'Hardly surprising, doesn’t taste like avocado, just enough in there to be able to call it Avocado Dip. Bought once and never again, no avo flavour.’

'Absolutely disgusting just makes you realise what they are really putting in our food,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘Yuck! What a false green colour! Sooooo disappointing.’

‘I’ve seen it before after purchasing the dip and I refuse to buy it again. Made me feel sick just looking at it,’ another claimed.

But not all customer experiences were negative. One ALDI shopper insisted that the dip 'just needs a good stir', adding that 'there’s nothing wrong with the taste’.

Belinda Smith, CEO of The Root Cause, said that food colouring is often used to 'enhance the visual appeal' of processed products.

Ms Smith, a child health advocate, also added that she is not familiar with the specific ingredients present in the avocado dip from the supermarket.

However, she emphasised that food colours, flavours, and preservatives are commonly found in ultra-processed foods.

‘Some are made artificially and others are natural, meaning they start from using an animal or plant source,’ Ms Smith said.

‘Both are made in a chemistry lab and used in food and drink manufacturing. The natural sources rarely resemble the original source.’

As such, she suggests that consumers research and become informed about the ingredients in the foods they consume.

When asked about the manufacturing process and the green substance found in the dip, ALDI declined to comment on whether it was food colouring.

However, the company did recommend that dissatisfied customers return the product to the store for a full refund.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland woman found an unusual bright green mass in ALDI's avocado dip that she had purchased.
  • Many commenters on social media suggested that the green substance could be food colouring that hadn't been mixed properly.
  • ALDI declined to comment on the composition of the product but encouraged unsatisfied customers to return items for a full refund.
  • Child health advocate Belinda Smith stated that artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives are commonly used in ultra-processed foods, and some research links them to various health issues.

Members, it's important to always stay vigilant when purchasing packaged foods and to always read the ingredients list.

If something doesn't seem right or taste good, don't hesitate to return the product and request a refund, as your health and satisfaction should come first.

Have you ever had a strange experience with a food product? Share your experiences in the comments below. We also recommend checking out this article, where we reported on how a pre-packaged salad bought from a major retailer signalled a health hazard among shoppers.

You could also ask do they actually put real food in some of these products? did you know that Margarine is the same colour as engine oil until they add food colouring to make it look like butter.
True, but I am not sure that all margarine is the same as engine grease.
NSW 1960... farmers grew Canola to be processed into grease for their Farm Machinery and Oil for the engines.
Well, the problem arose that they could not get a high viscosity needed for engine oil and the grease broke down at higher temps on friction areas. A BIG FAIL. and a LOTS OF CANOLA with no usage.
So someone did what 'Bill Mel' said they coloured it and made "GOLDEN CANOLA" FOR EVERYONE TO EAT... Other types of vegetable margarine have colour enhancement and chemicals to make it acceptable to a consumer..
Have you ever noticed that flies WON'T touch any vegetable margarine NOR will the ants eat it or the cockroaches.
I mean, like, if they won't touch it then why should we?
One Bush observation is ... That if there are NO insects in the pool of water DON'T DRINK IT... possibly the water is poisonous.

I have shopped around and have finally found the best avocado dip with a great lemony flavour. It is Chris's avocado dip as well as many other flavours. Made in Melbourne and found at Woolies.