ALDI may be the most budget-friendly supermarket, but here's WHY you should 'think twice' before going

Of the major supermarkets operating in Australia today, one has excelled in providing more affordable options for everyday items and fresh produce.

Whether you need to buy your weekly supply of vegetables or you just need to buy a handful of ingredients to make a simple chicken stir fry, it seems that ALDI is often considered the most convenient and cost-effective place to go.

According to Aldi's 2022 Price Report, which was published in May and is based on data analysis by PwC, a grocery basket from Aldi is typically 15% less expensive than a basket of the cheapest comparable products from its major competitors.

With a 74% customer approval rate, the findings show that three out of every four shoppers agree that Aldi offers lower prices than other supermarkets.

ZsbbzxNAzILlKjp69hfFHGTOOEk3jzTB6Ulk1O9LSTICzWIJehPyueY9yKg5167TU-ppE6i3bPDRNzWIZsOMfsqzR3CYBOKiV3dv2jqw5k_mksfjENOXhZKawyawK38I1Kz7E_xlc7vtusxt7e0

Among Australia's major supermarkets, Aldi offers the best prices. Credit: news.com.au.

A writer from news.com.au decided to conduct a 'shopping' test to see if Aldi really is the cheapest among the major supermarkets today.

Ben Graham doesn't typically do his grocery shopping at Aldi, so he was curious to see if the store's claims that its prices are lower are actually true.

"I tackled the German chain after visiting Coles and there was a marked difference in the price of the ingredients we needed," he said.

The first thing on his shopping list is red capsicum, which has an "eye-watering" price tag of $10.90 per kilogram at Coles. The same red capsicum cost $6.99 per kilogram at Aldi, which is a remarkable price difference.

The next thing on the list was chicken, which was also more affordable at Aldi coming in at $10.99 per kilogram as opposed to $14 per kilogram at Coles.

"A box of mushrooms at Aldi cost just $3.40, compared to $4.19 at Woolies and a whopping $5.50 at Coles," Graham added.

He also found that the ingredients for stir-fry weren't the only ones that were cheaper. He compared some other products, such as rump steaks, and found that Aldi was significantly less expensive at $18.99 per kilogram, as compared to Coles and Woolworths.

But it looks like shopping at Aldi also has a bit of a downside…

8kqEdeUN-PHolp6LkHuIzm07DYnEqLxV3cDqytkbVpM5rHFKMSfn9Vx6TQ6d-hyHMgL9dbN-SXnhRtcNHwi_rMuvZGgIjvId46NrnraVRhnsZMTBB-rxwEXWNZpfYPk9G0g3wE1tHJYtGe-_uOI

Most items were cheaper at Aldi, but some were also more expensive. Credit: news.com.au.

Graham mentioned that there was a problem that would cause him to "think twice" before coming back to Aldi again – and that is their "disappointing" selections for fresh produce and other items such as meat and baby wipes.

"The selection of fresh produce was disappointing with many green vegetables missing including snow peas, broccoli, cabbage and lettuce," he said. To be fair, there has been a widely publicised shortage of lettuce, and there was a shortage at Woolies as well.

"However, the shortages at Aldi also affected products like meat, with many different cuts missing from the shelves. It made it difficult to do a full shop at Aldi when there were so many important everyday items missing from the shelves – items that Coles and Woolies both had in abundance."

Due to these shortages, Graham had to go shopping at other stores in addition to his Aldi run to buy the items that the store was out of stock of.

"As a cheapskate, I am prepared to do this to get my hands on the discounted items at Aldi, but not everyone has the luxury of trotting around several shops when buying groceries," he said.

To see the breakdown of what his shopping trips cost at each store, take a look at the list below:

Coles
  • Broccoli: $11.50/kg (200g) – $2.30
  • Sugar snap peas $32/kg (200g) – $6.40
  • Carrot: 1kg bag $1.50
  • Zucchini: $4.90/kg (200g) – $0.98
  • Mushrooms: punnet $5.50
  • Red capsicum: $10.90/kg (200g) – $2.18
  • Onion: bag $1.50
  • Garlic: $25kg (80g) – $2
  • Soy sauce: $2.60
  • Chicken thigh: $14/kg (500g) – $9.27
  • Noodles: $2
Coles total: $36.23

Aldi
  • Broccoli: $9.99/kg (200g) – $1.99
  • Snow peas: $27.96/kg (200g) – $5.59
  • Carrot: $1.79 bag
  • Zucchini: $8.99/kg (200g) – $1.79
  • Mushrooms: punnet $3.40
  • Capsicum: $6.99/kg (200g) – $1.39
  • Onion: bag $2.49
  • Garlic: $24.99/kg – $2.49
  • Soy sauce: $1.79
  • Chicken: $10.99/kg (around 500g) – $5.40
  • Noodles: $1.79
Aldi total: $29.91

Woolworths
  • Broccoli: $11.90/kg (200g) – $2.38
  • Snow peas: $35.60/kg (200g) – $7.12
  • Carrot: 1kg bag $2.40
  • Mushrooms: punnet $4.15
  • Capsicum: $10.90/kg (200g) – $2.18
  • Garlic: $1.25
  • Soy sauce: $2.50
  • Chicken: $11.50/kg (500g) – $5.75
  • Noodles: $1.85
Woolies total: $32.06

So there you have it, folks!

Aldi might be the cheapest of the big supermarkets right now, but we have to warn you that they don't always have everything you need, so you might have to go to other stores to finish your list.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Aldi has the best prices to offer? Or do you find that other supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies are still more convenient for you? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
And the profits they make go to Germany.
Actually they buy from Australian farmers, employ Australian residents, etc. what about all the canned goods (as an example) you buy at Coles and Woolies? most of them arent Australian, so the profit goes overseas as well... they just dont tell us about it....
Btw: I shop at Coles, Aldi, IGA and markets, whatever is close by and has what I need or want

I don't shop at ALDI because the selection of products is limited and I find the quality poor compared to the brands I buy at Coles and Woolies. I was also turned off by the fact that our local Aldi refused to place limits on products at the height of the shortages due to Covid. For example, as I entered the store on one occasion, I saw a woman leaving the store with a shopping cart FULL of sugar (not exaggerating - she had dozens of packets ). Needless to say, she had swept the shelves clean and I was not able to get any sugar. When I politely complained to the manager, he displayed an attitude of "couldn't care less", shrugged his shoulders, and said it was not the store's policy to place limits. We were unable to access essentials due to this policy. That was the last time I shopped at ALDI. At least Coles and Woolies tried to be fair to ALL their customers.

Of the major supermarkets operating in Australia today, one has excelled in providing more affordable options for everyday items and fresh produce.

Whether you need to buy your weekly supply of vegetables or you just need to buy a handful of ingredients to make a simple chicken stir fry, it seems that ALDI is often considered the most convenient and cost-effective place to go.

According to Aldi's 2022 Price Report, which was published in May and is based on data analysis by PwC, a grocery basket from Aldi is typically 15% less expensive than a basket of the cheapest comparable products from its major competitors.

With a 74% customer approval rate, the findings show that three out of every four shoppers agree that Aldi offers lower prices than other supermarkets.

ZsbbzxNAzILlKjp69hfFHGTOOEk3jzTB6Ulk1O9LSTICzWIJehPyueY9yKg5167TU-ppE6i3bPDRNzWIZsOMfsqzR3CYBOKiV3dv2jqw5k_mksfjENOXhZKawyawK38I1Kz7E_xlc7vtusxt7e0

Among Australia's major supermarkets, Aldi offers the best prices. Credit: news.com.au.

A writer from news.com.au decided to conduct a 'shopping' test to see if Aldi really is the cheapest among the major supermarkets today.

Ben Graham doesn't typically do his grocery shopping at Aldi, so he was curious to see if the store's claims that its prices are lower are actually true.

"I tackled the German chain after visiting Coles and there was a marked difference in the price of the ingredients we needed," he said.

The first thing on his shopping list is red capsicum, which has an "eye-watering" price tag of $10.90 per kilogram at Coles. The same red capsicum cost $6.99 per kilogram at Aldi, which is a remarkable price difference.

The next thing on the list was chicken, which was also more affordable at Aldi coming in at $10.99 per kilogram as opposed to $14 per kilogram at Coles.

"A box of mushrooms at Aldi cost just $3.40, compared to $4.19 at Woolies and a whopping $5.50 at Coles," Graham added.

He also found that the ingredients for stir-fry weren't the only ones that were cheaper. He compared some other products, such as rump steaks, and found that Aldi was significantly less expensive at $18.99 per kilogram, as compared to Coles and Woolworths.

8kqEdeUN-PHolp6LkHuIzm07DYnEqLxV3cDqytkbVpM5rHFKMSfn9Vx6TQ6d-hyHMgL9dbN-SXnhRtcNHwi_rMuvZGgIjvId46NrnraVRhnsZMTBB-rxwEXWNZpfYPk9G0g3wE1tHJYtGe-_uOI

Most items were cheaper at Aldi, but some were also more expensive. Credit: news.com.au.

Graham mentioned that there was a problem that would cause him to "think twice" before coming back to Aldi again – and that is their "disappointing" selections for fresh produce and other items such as meat and baby wipes.

"The selection of fresh produce was disappointing with many green vegetables missing including snow peas, broccoli, cabbage and lettuce," he said. To be fair, there has been a widely publicised shortage of lettuce, and there was a shortage at Woolies as well.

"However, the shortages at Aldi also affected products like meat, with many different cuts missing from the shelves. It made it difficult to do a full shop at Aldi when there were so many important everyday items missing from the shelves – items that Coles and Woolies both had in abundance."

Due to these shortages, Graham had to go shopping at other stores in addition to his Aldi run to buy the items that the store was out of stock of.

"As a cheapskate, I am prepared to do this to get my hands on the discounted items at Aldi, but not everyone has the luxury of trotting around several shops when buying groceries," he said.

To see the breakdown of what his shopping trips cost at each store, take a look at the list below:

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

Aldi might be the cheapest of the big supermarkets right now, but we have to warn you that they don't always have everything you need, so you might have to go to other stores to finish your list.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Aldi has the best prices to offer? Or do you find that other supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies are still more convenient for you? Let us know in the comments!
I would challenge anyone to find everything on their list at one supermarket at the moment. I like Aldi however I do wish they would catch up and get rid of the plastic bags and introduce compostable fresh produce bags. Hardly any of their packaging is recyclable either.

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

In Italy they have using playing at Aldi. When I told the staff that we don't have music at Aldi Australia, they couldn't understand why. Neither can I.

Aldi does have some great bargains, but there's no atmosphere, very limited selection, some items aren't offered at all and there's some inconsistency in offerings. There one week, gone the next. Very frustrating.
I actually like that Aldi don't play music. I find it easier to concentrate on what I want.

Reactions: Rita Mcnamara

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

Aldi every time

Reactions: Ejt and Ricci
This has always been one of my issues with Aldi. I shopped there again on Wednesday (I really don’t know why I bother) and could not get 15 of the items on my list, some because they don’t stock it, some because the shelf was empty and some vegetables were so disgusting I wouldn’t buy them. Every cauliflower I picked up was covered in black spots, the pak choy was wilted and even the bananas were brown. The small difference in price between there and Woolworths doesn’t make up for the frustration I feel every time I shop at Aldi, and I then have to go to WW anyway! 😡

Here is another reason NOT to shop at Aldi....

"Turns out ALDI is .. Not good. Not different.
We've just won a big case in Federal Court because ALDI DC workers were being forced to clock on and do 'pre-work' duties before their rostered shift without pay.
Those ten minutes before shifts add up and now ALDI DC workers will get back their unpaid wages.
Remember you must be paid for ALL time worked. And if you're not, get in touch with us."

309438775_1750529131987783_750309486484169011_n.jpg

Here is another reason NOT to shop at Aldi....

"Turns out ALDI is .. Not good. Not different.
We've just won a big case in Federal Court because ALDI DC workers were being forced to clock on and do 'pre-work' duties before their rostered shift without pay.
Those ten minutes before shifts add up and now ALDI DC workers will get back their unpaid wages.
Remember you must be paid for ALL time worked. And if you're not, get in touch with us."

309438775_1750529131987783_750309486484169011_n.jpg
My colleagues and I always have to do a questionaire before the first client ofvthe day (been overseas, any symptoms, etc Covid questions). That usually takes up at least 10 minas we also have to ask the client.
Even before Covid (and ongoing): we have to write incident reports, give feedback of every client (same, better or deteriorating) and drive from one client to the next (in our own car!) These times are NOT PAID for, nor is the petrol.
o, I forgot: we have to constantly do online courses to stay up to date. (unpaid, of course!)
So Aldi is NOT the worst by far!

• Sad
Reactions: Elbe and Ricci
And the profits they make go to Germany.
Actually they don't. Aldi Australasia is a self supporting separate entity. All profits are reinvested in Aldi Australia's local operation. Aldi pay tax under the same rules as Coles & Woolies & most other retailers. Yes, they are a Limited Entity company but they are governed by Australian laws. They employ Australians and they buy and sell Australian products - as well as the fantastic European products so many of us shop there for.

Actually they don't. Aldi Australasia is a self supporting separate entity. All profits are reinvested in Aldi Australia's local operation. Aldi pay tax under the same rules as Coles & Woolies & most other retailers. Yes, they are a Limited Entity company but they are governed by Australian laws. They employ Australians and they buy and sell Australian products - as well as the fantastic European products so many of us shop there for.
I was about to say the same, but you beat me to it! It was Dick Smith's war cry when Aldi arrived in Australia more than 20 years ago. I studied marketing etc at that time and looked into it thoroughly for one of my assignments. Not even the employees were German! And more of their products are Australian than Coles' or Woolies' (one of the reasons they are cheaper: lower transport costs)

Reactions: Ricci

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths

I would agree with this article because I have done my own comparison. Generally I have found Aldi has the cheaper price but the quality of the produce is compromised. So, when I shop at Aldi, I usually purchase items that are not available in the other supermarkets or when some of their produce are not too bad becaue I know their prices are always a tad cheaper then the major supermarkets

I would agree with this article because I have done my own comparison. Generally I have found Aldi has the cheaper price but the quality of the produce is compromised. So, when I shop at Aldi, I usually purchase items that are not available in the other supermarkets or when some of their produce are not too bad becaue I know their prices are always a tad cheaper then the major supermarkets
I did the same, only bought non perishable etc. Fresh food usually at Coles in the same shopping center. A few months ago Coles didn't have the salad I like, so I git it at Aldi's. what can I say? The Coles one usually goes off after 2 or 3 days, Aldi s keeps fresh for longer (important in a 1 person household, even though I have a little salad with every meal!), tastes better and is cheaper. so now I buy it wherever I do my shopping on the day😊