ALDI is changing the way it displays grocery prices in stores nationwide

Frequent ALDI shoppers have been taken by surprise after the German retailer rolled out major changes to its pricing structures – including the introduction of digital price tags in its stores.

While some shoppers have lauded the move, others have pointed out that the new tags are making it difficult for them to scan through the products on sale.

The new digital tags have replaced the traditional paper tags in ALDI stores in South Australia, as well as selected stores in New South Wales and Queensland as part of a trial.

ALDI recently confirmed that an initiative to install digital price tags in its stores has been successful.

This move intends to bring ALDI into a ‘new digital shopping age’, leaving paper price tags and scanners in the past.

d6816e62de389b7bb810aee4829c9423669baa54-4x3-x11y0w1893h1420.png

Electronic price tags, similar to those that are used in ALDI stores in the USA, will be used to replace paper price tags in stores. Credit: Reddit.

Shoppers have taken to social media to discuss the changes to the retail store.

One shopper wrote: 'OMG so I went into ALDI today and noticed that the price tag changes!'

'Is this new? Or have I been living under a rock, it’s like a mini computer!'

Another said: 'I had no idea they were actual screens either until I saw an obviously faulty one flickering. I was staring at it confused for way too long.'

A third added: 'My mind blew and wondered if it was new or if they’ve always been like this and I just had no idea!'

Several customers said that the new digital tags would be ‘much easier’ for staff to scan and read, especially during peak hours.

One shopper described the new digital pricing tags as 'convenient', saying: 'We went in over the weekend and couldn’t believe it, it’s ridiculous.'

However, others argue that the move to install digital price tags in some stores will ‘make things difficult’ for the shoppers themselves.

One person wrote: 'Sometimes the old way is the best way.'

'We went in over the weekend and couldn’t believe it, it’s ridiculous,' another added.

A third chimed in: 'My local Woolies has just brought these in, but I can’t read them.'

'Agree, it’s so hard to see what’s on special now,' another quipped.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI supermarket has confirmed a major change to the way it prices items at stores by rolling out digital price tags on shelves to all stores in South Australia, as well as selected stores in New South Wales and Queensland as part of a trial.
  • Electronic labels have replaced paper tags in these stores, bringing ALDI into a new digital shopping age.
  • Some shoppers are excited by the new tags, while others find them difficult to read.

ALDI confirmed that more stores will be rolling out the new digital pricing tags in the future, assuring its customers that the new initiative will make shopping much easier and faster.

What are your thoughts on ALDI's new digital price tags? Will this make your shopping experience at the supermarket better? Better yet, do you prefer checking out paper tags over electronic ones? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Will this mean that between the time I pick my product off the shelf & when I reach the checkout the price will be changed electronically? I think this is an easy way for stores to change prices at any time of the day, while we shop.

Frequent ALDI shoppers have been taken by surprise after the German retailer rolled out major changes to its pricing structures – including the introduction of digital price tags in its stores.

While some shoppers have lauded the move, others have pointed out that the new tags are making it difficult for them to scan through the products on sale.

The new digital tags have replaced the traditional paper tags in ALDI stores in South Australia, as well as selected stores in New South Wales and Queensland as part of a trial.

ALDI recently confirmed that an initiative to install digital price tags in its stores has been successful.

This move intends to bring ALDI into a ‘new digital shopping age’, leaving paper price tags and scanners in the past.

Electronic price tags, similar to those that are used in ALDI stores in the USA, will be used to replace paper price tags in stores. Credit: Reddit.

One shopper wrote: 'OMG so I went into ALDI today and noticed that the price tag changes!'

Another said: 'I had no idea they were actual screens either until I saw an obviously faulty one flickering. I was staring at it confused for way too long.'

A third added: 'My mind blew and wondered if it was new or if they’ve always been like this and I just had no idea!'

Several customers said that the new digital tags would be ‘much easier’ for staff to scan and read, especially during peak hours.

One shopper described the new digital pricing tags as 'convenient', saying: 'We went in over the weekend and couldn’t believe it, it’s ridiculous.'

However, others argue that the move to install digital price tags in some stores will ‘make things difficult’ for the shoppers themselves.

'We went in over the weekend and couldn’t believe it, it’s ridiculous,' another added.

A third chimed in: 'My local Woolies has just brought these in, but I can’t read them.'

Key Takeaways

• ALDI supermarket has confirmed a major change to the way it prices items at stores by rolling out digital price tags on shelves to all stores in South Australia, as well as selected stores in New South Wales and Queensland as part of a trial.
  • Electronic labels have replaced paper tags in these stores, bringing ALDI into a new digital shopping age.
  • Some shoppers are excited by the new tags, while others find them difficult to read.

ALDI confirmed that more stores will be rolling out the new digital pricing tags in the future, assuring its customers that the new initiative will make shopping much easier and faster.

What are your thoughts on ALDI's new digital price tags? Will this make your shopping experience at the supermarket better? Better yet, do you prefer checking out paper tags over electronic ones? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!
Remember when we were told that computer operated checkouts would be faster? If you are my age you would. I don't believe that to be true

Digital computer driven - bound to malfunction in lieu of paper price tags.
I can imagine little kids poking their fingers at it.
Aldi has just installed self serve check outs at my local store. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
From now on, I will be carrying a marking pen with me and, if any individual item, doesn't have a price on it I will write the price on that item.
Digital pricing means, that no matter what the price is on the shelf, it may change by the time of day, quantity of stock, frequency of purchase etc. by the time that you reach the register.

Check the price charged on your dockets against the price on the item when taken from the shelf.

Key Takeaways

How will it make it faster??

Reactions: Ricci
This is the price of progress, one person, sitting in an office somewhere will be able to quickly change the stores prices to reflect sales etc. This will free up several team members who would normally take upwards of several hours to manually change all labels, enabling them to fill stock, help customers or tidy the store. :)

Key Takeaways

Aldi's near me are in the middle of installing self checkouts so probably why the tags are changing. I live in a South East Queensland suburb.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz
If the pic is an example of the electronic tag I can't see the problem. Why is it harder to read than a paper tag. Some criticisms don't provide any reason. Is it because a lot of us oldies just don't like change?

Reactions: TheBear

Key Takeaways

Great idea from Aldi. Will price per unit still be on it?

From now on, I will be carrying a marking pen with me and, if any individual item, doesn't have a price on it I will write the price on that item.
Digital pricing means, that no matter what the price is on the shelf, it may change by the time of day, quantity of stock, frequency of purchase etc. by the time that you reach the register.

Check the price charged on your dockets against the price on the item when taken from the shelf.
Totally agree. It's going to be difficult to know how much you will pay at checkout & how do you dispute the charge when they can change it on the shelf every minute if they so desire.

Reactions: debjoel21 and Liz
.................................................................................
Do people realise the cost of installing all this technology is going to seriously affect the cost of the goods/groceries. Those little tickets are small in the scheme of things, it costs more ENVIRONMENTALLY to run the computers. Also more staff job losses. If we keep accepting these changes, doing our own checkouts etc, we are heading down the path to our own destruction, please don't be the sheep.