ALDI intensifies shoplifting crackdown

With the cost of living soaring and inflation hitting households hard, it's no wonder so many of our members are flocking to discount supermarkets like ALDI to make their precious dollars stretch further.

And recently, ALDI, our favourite low-cost, bulk-buy supermarket, has been in the news, and it’s regarding a noteworthy change in their checkout policy.

This announcement could impact your habit of bypassing the baskets and going for the bags, so let’s get into it.

It's come to light that some ALDI store employees in the UK have been told to refrain from servicing customers who don’t put their shopping bags on the checkout belts for inspection to ensure they are empty.

Explored initially by The Grocer magazine and confirmed by a store worker's revelation, ALDI has implemented this policy seemingly to deter shoplifting–an unfortunate reality that has seen an uptick in recent times.

aldi1.jpeg
An ALDI store worker said the store had introduced a new bag-checking policy. Credit: Shutterstock

The ALDI shop worker said: ‘We are asking that they allow us to look in the bags to see if they are empty. We have been asking to look in the bags to make sure none of our items are in there.’

In the wake of the cost-of-living crisis and an inflation-driven hike in food prices, the rule could be seen as a necessary albeit unpleasant deterrent against theft.

The crux here is that customers who decline these searches may be refused a sale. However, it appears this policy is yet to be enforced across the UK and that bag checks are only conducted with the shopper's consent.

The employee also shared that customers walking out of the store may be stopped by security if they were suspected of shoplifting.

ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy. It states: ‘It is a condition of entry that all bags, parcels, prams and containers are presented for inspection.’

aldi2.jpeg
The ALDI worker claimed that those refusing to comply with the search would also be refused the sale. Credit: Shutterstock

This newly induced rule sparked diverse opinions among local ALDI personnel.

One worker stated: ‘New policy at ALDI, all empty shopping bags must be on the belt plus all shopping.’

While others are more concerned about situations where shoppers could be stopped by security upon exiting the store suspected of theft.

A spokesperson for the retailer told reporters that these searches were only taking place in select stores as a ‘short-term measure’ and shoppers will not be stopped from buying anything or leaving the store.

This policy is also separate from the rules enforced by security guards, said the spokesperson.

‘This only covers the bags they're using to pack their shopping, not handbags or personal bags,’ they explained.

Apparently, the bag check policy isn't a fresh idea and has been reported as early as May. And it's not only ALDI; several retailers are tightening up security as shoplifting rates climb.

Bag search policies.jpg
Shoppers have the following rights in Australia. Credit: The Seniors Discount Club

To add context, food costs are on the rise mainly due to the ongoing war in Ukraine and poor harvests in some European countries. This has caused food inflation to reach a whopping 19.4 per cent in March, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Many supermarkets are reacting by increasing security, including stricter security tags and even lock boxes on everyday items such as cheese, coffee, and chocolate.

If you do encounter any problems while shopping, it’s best to politely check with the store employees or manager.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI stores in the UK have implemented a new policy where staff can refuse service to customers who do not comply with bag checks.
  • The supermarket claims this policy is a short-term measure and is only carried out with the consent of shoppers.
  • Shoplifters suspected on the premises can be stopped by security.
  • ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy, stating that a condition of entry into each store includes an inspection of all bags, parcels, prams and containers.
What are your thoughts on this policy? Have you encountered anything similar while out shopping? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
As far as I am concerned, I do not permit a search of my personal items, be it bags of pockets. If they want to search then I demand Police & a Solicitor be present & warn them that I have the right to privacy. They have never pursued the matter. If they choose to request me not to return then I don't care.
If they want us to shop there then they should provide bags and pack them, that way we do not have to take bags inside.
Oh paleeeease!!!! IN MY OPINION….🤔🤔🤔….If you haven’t stolen anything, then what’s the problem.??…Non compliance will label you as suspicious and being an irrational trouble maker… it’s simple… just comply and move on….

Reactions: TheBear
Nice to know you stand up for your perceived rights, but equally, the T&C that are clearly on display at these stores state your bags can be inspected. Your rights end when they violate another's rights, including retailers. So the rights of the retailer also come into consideration. When I've witness the sort of 'my rights' etc commentary it's generally because the person being challenged has stolen something. Staff are told not to put themselves into any form of danger that can quickly escalate from a simple request to a stand off. Stores do have a legal right to inspect bags. If you don't want to put your bag up for a quick check, then the assumption is you are stealing. End of story.
These type of people are just entitled.w""*kerd.

With the cost of living soaring and inflation hitting households hard, it's no wonder so many of our members are flocking to discount supermarkets like ALDI to make their precious dollars stretch further.

And recently, ALDI, our favourite low-cost, bulk-buy supermarket, has been in the news, and it’s regarding a noteworthy change in their checkout policy.

This announcement could impact your habit of bypassing the baskets and going for the bags, so let’s get into it.

It's come to light that some ALDI store employees in the UK have been told to refrain from servicing customers who don’t put their shopping bags on the checkout belts for inspection to ensure they are empty.

Explored initially by The Grocer magazine and confirmed by a store worker's revelation, ALDI has implemented this policy seemingly to deter shoplifting–an unfortunate reality that has seen an uptick in recent times.

View attachment 26677
An ALDI store worker said the store had introduced a new bag-checking policy. Credit: Shutterstock

The ALDI shop worker said: ‘We are asking that they allow us to look in the bags to see if they are empty. We have been asking to look in the bags to make sure none of our items are in there.’

In the wake of the cost-of-living crisis and an inflation-driven hike in food prices, the rule could be seen as a necessary albeit unpleasant deterrent against theft.

The crux here is that customers who decline these searches may be refused a sale. However, it appears this policy is yet to be enforced across the UK and that bag checks are only conducted with the shopper's consent.

The employee also shared that customers walking out of the store may be stopped by security if they were suspected of shoplifting.

ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy. It states: ‘It is a condition of entry that all bags, parcels, prams and containers are presented for inspection.’

View attachment 26678
The ALDI worker claimed that those refusing to comply with the search would also be refused the sale. Credit: Shutterstock

One worker stated: ‘New policy at ALDI, all empty shopping bags must be on the belt plus all shopping.’

While others are more concerned about situations where shoppers could be stopped by security upon exiting the store suspected of theft.

A spokesperson for the retailer told reporters that these searches were only taking place in select stores as a ‘short-term measure’ and shoppers will not be stopped from buying anything or leaving the store.

This policy is also separate from the rules enforced by security guards, said the spokesperson.

‘This only covers the bags they're using to pack their shopping, not handbags or personal bags,’ they explained.

Apparently, the bag check policy isn't a fresh idea and has been reported as early as May. And it's not only ALDI; several retailers are tightening up security as shoplifting rates climb.

View attachment 26713
Shoppers have the following rights in Australia. Credit: The Seniors Discount Club

To add context, food costs are on the rise mainly due to the ongoing war in Ukraine and poor harvests in some European countries. This has caused food inflation to reach a whopping 19.4 per cent in March, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Many supermarkets are reacting by increasing security, including stricter security tags and even lock boxes on everyday items such as cheese, coffee, and chocolate.

If you do encounter any problems while shopping, it’s best to politely check with the store employees or manager.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI stores in the UK have implemented a new policy where staff can refuse service to customers who do not comply with bag checks.
  • The supermarket claims this policy is a short-term measure and is only carried out with the consent of shoppers.
  • ALDI Australia’s website also mentions a similar policy, stating that a condition of entry into each store includes an inspection of all bags, parcels, prams and containers.
What are your thoughts on this policy? Have you encountered anything similar while out shopping? Let us know in the comments below!
I don't have any problem with presenting my bag for inspection as I figure you have nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem. To save anyone from lifting stuff from my bag I leave it in the boot of my car and only take my keys and card I to the shop with 1 less item to handle.

Try travelling in many countries where you have to show personal handbags and empty pockets wherever you enter a building! What's the problem?

I am more than happy to open my bag , if you don't have anything to hide then it shouldn't be a problem.
If it helps stop theft I'm all for it , if we don't help then we will all pay for it through increase prices to cover the cost of theft .

This is off topic , but it was reported a large number of cars after filling up with petrol and taking off without paying and the police are saying they can't do anything about it .
In the USA you Are required to pay for petrol (gas) prior to filling up. Why not implement the same here? It would stop the theft of petrol. Just a thought. As to checking bags, I agree with the above “got nothing to hide, what’s the hassle”.

Go to a questionable country in Europe where police stop you and ask for papers AT RANDOM.
Eg passports and other papers that identify you, now tell them you want a lawyer and see what happens.
As for supermarkets asking for bag inspection.
I totally agree with this request, I believe it should be MANDATORY.
Anyone moaning complaining and bitching about bag searches "GET A LIFE AND GET ON WITH IT".
If not, I understand that you condone stealing.
Mabe European countries of question are for you!

View attachment 26677

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26713

Key Takeaways

all for it. if not your guilty. obviously thieves around.

As far as I am concerned, I do not permit a search of my personal items, be it bags of pockets. If they want to search then I demand Police & a Solicitor be present & warn them that I have the right to privacy. They have never pursued the matter. If they choose to request me not to return then I don't care.
If they want us to shop there then they should provide bags and pack them, that way we do not have to take bags inside.
All shops are private property so they don't even have to let you in especially if you're going to have a hissy fit about it 🙄 And they can make what rules they like.

Very occasionally I take bags in a food store, otherwise I just put everything back in the trolley when I've paid for them. Much quicker and easier.

View attachment 26677

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26713

Key Takeaways

Yes they have asked to look in the bag I tip it upside down and shake it no problems

I can honestly say , I have never, ever stolen an item in my entire life . I was brought up like that . If it is not yours , you leave it alone .
For that reason I have no problem at all if they search my bags , handbag or backpack . For the person who wouldn’t search his bags , he could have a problem at the airport .
Also the problem with stealing petrol could easy be fixed if you pay before hand and then fill up , this happens a lot in USA , or some petrol stations can raise some sharp iron bars and this will damage your tyres .

Contrary to popular belief, shops are not public places. They are private spaces into which the owner invites people. All entry to every shop is subject to certain conditions and one of them is usually that bags much be offered for inspection when asked. If you don't agree to those conditions then obviously don't go there, but you had better get used to only ever shopping on line because every shop usually has the same conditions.

I can see no reason to object to a member of staff looking into a backpack, handbag or any other bag. It takes about 10 seconds for them to have a quick look and there is no suggestion they will touch anything. Pockets may be a different matter but there are exceptions to this. If they do see something or they suspect something has been hidden and has not been paid for they are entitled to detain you, call the police and have a further search done by the police in private. I see nothing wrong with that. After all, we are all paying for some people's dishonesty in higher prices on everything.

View attachment 26677

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26713

Key Takeaways

I do not steal food. I have no reason to object to my bags being inspected to ensure they are empty. Only shoplifters would complain about there bags being inspected!

View attachment 26677

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26713

Key Takeaways

So you don't care that all these people are stealing and that it will push prices up.
They are not asking to search pockets just bags.
It's not like they have a deep look.
REALLY YOU WOULD DEMAND THE POLICE AND A SOLICITOR.
Would a solicitor get there that quick.

Sorry lucky you can't see me I'm laughing my head off 😅

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IamJane and SandyM
I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard
One of the reasons they can keep their prices down is that you pack yourself.
Why make such a mountain out of a molehill and making yourself look so silly in the process
Really, the police and a solicitor, you must have money to burn, perhaps you could also pay the solicitor to do your shopping for you and save the terrible inconvenience of having your bag checked. What on earth do you keep in your bag that is soooo private
LOL
🤣🤣🤣 maybe they wanted to see how many responded to them. I was actually laughing at their answer and still are

I thought that it was a condition of entry into stores, that you present all bags for inspection - including handbags! I have nothing to hide, so I don't have a problem with that. If you don't wish to comply, don't enter the shop! (Except maybe for the lady with the stinky, dirty nappy in her bag - that was a bit resistant to the request to look in her bulging bag!)

Reactions: Suzanne rose