ALDI follows other major supermarket giants with this new move

The traditional grocery shopping experience, with its human cashiers and personal interactions, is undergoing a transformation.

Following in the footsteps of supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles, ALDI, the budget-friendly chain is embracing the future by introducing self-service checkouts.

This move could forever change how we shop, but is it for the better?

ALDI has only started trialling self-serve registers in 2021. However, the tides are turning, and these checkouts are now popping up in ALDI stores across Australia.

For instance, at the ALDI in Box Hill South, Melbourne, shoppers are now greeted with six newly installed self-service machines, which left a warning on their screen: ‘monitoring in progress’.

shutterstock_1409106593.jpg
ALDI follows Woolworths and Coles by introducing self-service checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

The shift towards self-service technology in supermarkets is not without its controversies. There's a palpable tension between the desire for quick, convenient transactions and the need for human connection.

Retail experts like Trent Rigby, Director of Retail Oasis, believed Australia was ‘close to reaching a tipping point' in this balance.

‘Retailers are trying to find that balance between speed and convenience with customers, but also now recognising that many consumers still want that human interaction,’ Rigby said.

Nicole Miranda, Director of Client Services at Spinach, highlights the importance of choice in this new shopping landscape.

‘We know many people are frustrated by Coles and Woolworths who, during busy times, often close service lanes to push people through self-service, whether they want to shop that way or not,’ she said.

‘Ultimately, it will be the customer who decides, of course, but I’d anticipate, given the high levels of brand trust in ALDI versus the majors, this rollout will be viewed by the majority as a positive.’

Yet, some argued that self-service felt 'off brand' for ALDI, a company known for its unique blend of cost-effectiveness and quirkiness.

Adam Ferrier, founder of Thinkerbell, suggested that the interaction with a cashier, though sometimes seen as a chore, adds value to the shopping experience.

Despite the debate, ALDI is promoting this change as a 'win-win for everybody’, and they're not alone in their optimism.

Coles and Woolworths report high usage rates of self-service checkouts, especially for smaller shopping trips.

Retailers quickly reassured that the rise of self-checkouts isn't synonymous with job losses, as staff are often redeployed to other areas such as restocking shelves and managing online orders.

The Australian Retailers Association's Chief Executive, Paul Zahra, supported this, stating, ‘Overall staff numbers have increased in supermarkets since the implementation of the technology, not decreased, allowing them to focus on the additional services now being provided.’

This is echoed by employment figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, which show a rise in the number of checkout operators and office cashiers from 112,000 to 128,000 over the past two decades.

However, SDA Australia is monitoring the impact of self-service checkouts on employee workload and customer behaviour, particularly in light of increased customer abuse and violence since COVID-19.

Security expert Scott Taylor noted that while theft is a concern, with retailers investing in various anti-theft technologies, excellent customer service remains a powerful deterrent to shoplifting.

Ben Rogers of the Council on the Ageing Victoria mentioned that many elderly individuals prefer using cash but often find it challenging to do so at self-checkouts.

‘This can be particularly impactful for older Victorians in regional areas, who are facing bank closures in their communities,’ he said.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI is expanding its self-service checkout options, following in the footsteps of Coles and Woolworths, with installations in stores nationwide.
  • The rise of self-checkouts at supermarkets has prompted concerns about customer surveillance, service quality, and accessibility for certain groups, such as the elderly, disabled, and parents with young children.
  • Retail experts believed successful implementation of self-service checkouts depended on offering customers a choice and maintaining a balance between convenience and human interaction.
  • Despite concerns, retailers argue that the introduction of self-service technology has not led to job losses, with staff being redeployed into other roles and overall staff numbers said to be increasing.
How do you feel about the rise of self-service checkouts? Do you welcome the change, or do you miss the human touch? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why does the other supermarkets have to follow the other supermarkets? I don't like self serve checkouts. I like to talk to the checkout operators. I feel like a valued customer when a human talks to me when packing my groceries.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I hate them and as a matter of principle I don’t use them. With a rise in profits we are being pushed into ‘working’ for them. There are other dirty tricks they use like stocking lollies at child height and other psychological tricks to make you buy more. No bags is also another price saver when years ago we were provided with paper bags. Don’t get me going!!!!

Reactions: Littleboy8