ALDI customers left 'speechless' by drastic price hike of a beloved summer fruit

As the rising cost of living continues to take a toll on Australians, ALDI customers are up in arms about the price of a beloved summertime fruit, pointing out that Aussies may not be seeing relief

One shopper took to Facebook to share her outrage at the exorbitant price of a fruit that is traditionally in season during the summer months.

The customer snapped a photograph of her nearly empty grocery cart and posted it on the popular Facebook group ALDI Mums.

In the caption, she wrote: 'Please explain how this is $48.50. Inflation sucks.'

The photo displayed her grocery cart which included potatoes, calendars for 2023, toothbrushes, bread, and the 'culprit' (as pointed out by many shoppers) of the high grocery bill — grapes.

e4ee54950ceba1f449b9db59faba630938c806a5.png

The mum's half-empty shopping cart cost her $48.50. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

Several ALDI customers admitted in the comments section that they have been spending $12 per kilogram for grapes recently.

One person wrote: 'I was shocked when I got the same grapes. Cost me $13.90.'

'Looks like it might be ditched off my shopping list for a while.'

'Grapes are $12/kg + at the moment. So I’d say it’s those,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'My autistic kid will basically only eat blueberries or grapes. Makes it so expensive.'

'Half of that is probably the grapes lol I accidentally paid $20 for grapes the other day when I didn’t look at the price,' one more wrote.

pexels-photo-5644863.jpeg

Many shoppers pointed out that they have been paying a high amount of money for a kilogram of grapes recently. Credit: Pexels/Polina Kovaleva.

More and more ALDI customers spoke out about the astronomical price hike on the grapes to the rising cost of living.

One user wrote: 'It’s absolutely insane. I don’t know how much longer we can deal either.'

'It’s not going to be easy for a lot of people this Christmas. Everything is rising at an alarming pace,' another said.

An ALDI representative commented on the issue, claiming that the fruit is currently being retailed for $8.99 per kilogram in Queensland.

'Shopping seasonal fruit and veg, as well as looking at our weekly catalogue for Super Savers can help deliver the best value on fruit and veg,' the spokesperson remarked.

Comparing it with the $9.41 price tag per kilogram of grapes sold at Woolworths, the fruit appears to be cheaper at the German retailer.

This comes after another ALDI price comparison report suggests that the retailer is a good option for Aussies who are looking for affordable grocery options amid the cost of living crisis.

The ALDI 2022 Price Report, which was published back in May this year, indicated that the retailer's prices are lower than other Aussie supermarkets by an average of 24.7 per cent.

This means that an ALDI shopper's shopping basket can help you save up to $2468 annually for an average family.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket shoppers are outraged at the price of a beloved Aussie summer fruit, as the rising cost of living continues to pack a punch.
  • One shopper snapped a pic of her near-empty trolley and posted it on the Aldi Mums Facebook page, sharing her shock at the eye-watering bill.
  • ALDI shoppers shared in comments on the post that they have recently been paying $12 per kilo for grapes.
  • Many shoppers agreed the cost of living continues to be a problem for Aussies, and it certainly won’t stop this Christmas.

So, there you have it, dear members! While the price of grapes may be a little tougher to swallow than usual, ALDI continues to be a positive force in the fight for affordable grocery prices, meaning that you can continue to count on them for all of your shopping needs.

How about you? Have you been overwhelmed by the price of groceries recently? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below![/nextads]

Sponsored
As the rising cost of living continues to take a toll on Australians, ALDI customers are up in arms about the price of a beloved summertime fruit, pointing out that Aussies may not be seeing relief

One shopper took to Facebook to share her outrage at the exorbitant price of a fruit that is traditionally in season during the summer months.

The customer snapped a photograph of her nearly empty grocery cart and posted it on the popular Facebook group ALDI Mums.

In the caption, she wrote: 'Please explain how this is $48.50. Inflation sucks.'

The photo displayed her grocery cart which included potatoes, calendars for 2023, toothbrushes, bread, and the 'culprit' (as pointed out by many shoppers) of the high grocery bill — grapes.

Several ALDI customers admitted in the comments section that they have been spending $12 per kilogram for grapes recently.

A third chimed in: 'My autistic kid will basically only eat blueberries or grapes. Makes it so expensive.'

'Half of that is probably the grapes lol I accidentally paid $20 for grapes the other day when I didn’t look at the price,' one more wrote.

Many shoppers pointed out that they have been paying a high amount of money for a kilogram of grapes recently. Credit: Pexels/Polina Kovaleva.

More and more ALDI customers spoke out about the astronomical price hike on the grapes to the rising cost of living.

One user wrote: 'It’s absolutely insane. I don’t know how much longer we can deal either.'

'It’s not going to be easy for a lot of people this Christmas. Everything is rising at an alarming pace,' another said.

An ALDI representative commented on the issue, claiming that the fruit is currently being retailed for $8.99 per kilogram in Queensland.

'Shopping seasonal fruit and veg, as well as looking at our weekly catalogue for Super Savers can help deliver the best value on fruit and veg,' the spokesperson remarked.

Comparing it with the $9.41 price tag per kilogram of grapes sold at Woolworths, the fruit appears to be cheaper at the German retailer.

This comes after another ALDI price comparison report suggests that the retailer is a good option for Aussies who are looking for affordable grocery options amid the cost of living crisis.

The ALDI 2022 Price Report, which was published back in May this year, indicated that the retailer's prices are lower than other Aussie supermarkets by an average of 24.7 per cent.

This means that an ALDI shopper's shopping basket can help you save up to $2468 annually for an average family.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket shoppers are outraged at the price of a beloved Aussie summer fruit, as the rising cost of living continues to pack a punch.
  • One shopper snapped a pic of her near-empty trolley and posted it on the Aldi Mums Facebook page, sharing her shock at the eye-watering bill.
  • ALDI shoppers shared in comments on the post that they have recently been paying $12 per kilo for grapes.
  • Many shoppers agreed the cost of living continues to be a problem for Aussies, and it certainly won’t stop this Christmas.

So, there you have it, dear members! While the price of grapes may be a little tougher to swallow than usual, ALDI continues to be a positive force in the fight for affordable grocery prices, meaning that you can continue to count on them for all of your shopping needs.

How about you? Have you been overwhelmed by the price of groceries recently? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below![/nextads]
Stop your complaining shop around simple

Despite all the other loyalty programs offered, I still find Aldi much cheaper.
I am lucky that in the town where I travel to shop, within 5 minutes of each other, we have Aldi, Coles, Woolworths and the Spud Shed
so plenty of choice to shop around for the best price.
I do my main shop at Aldi and then pick up any better bargains at the others.Helps to cover the petrol costs for the 3 hour round trip.

Key Takeaways

Must be a flood omewhere, that seems to be the "IN" excuse now.

Reactions: Ricci and Rochelle

Key Takeaways

I bought grapes in Aldi at North Lakes on Friday and they were $9.99 per kilo. The Calendars would have added about $12 onto the bill

I bought grapes in Aldi at North Lakes on Friday and they were $9.99 per kilo. The Calendars would have added about $12 onto the bill
I had an argument in Coles where I live the other day over their "Freight" excuse, ( I live North of Townsville) I said to bloke you are blaming the floods everywhere how come I can drive a car from Cairns to Tasmania and back but your telling me your charging more because the trucks can't get through???

Key Takeaways

I thought that when you went shopping you checked the price tag. We have had plenty of warnings that prices would be skyrocketing. I feel more sorry for the farmers than myself after all I can choose whether to buy or not,they have no choice. Mother Nature is giving us all a big shakeup.

I am sorry, even though I love grapes and feel sorry for the growers, at the price they are at any supermarket I just cannot afford it. Am doing more shopping at Aldi because they are cheaper but I need someone to take me there becaue I cannot drive anymore and I couldn't carry a shopping load home on the bus.:(

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Last month I bought 7 cans of creamed rice for a $1.00 each.
I went back this week only bought 3 cans at $1.69 each
Still cheaper than willies and coles.
But an extra 69 cents each
Hiway robery
Just saying
From aldi

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci and Liz
This is a common problem in our country town, with an ageing population no longer able to drive.
I do try to take one or two people with me when I go shopping, but can't help more because of limited space for all the groceries.
I am sorry, even though I love grapes and feel sorry for the growers, at the price they are at any supermarket I just cannot afford it. Am doing more shopping at Aldi because they are cheaper but I mneed someone to take me there becaue I cannot drive anymore and I couldn't carry a shopping load home on the bus.:(

the price of grapes mangos and stoned fruit always go up before xmas and new year as people use it for there party trays and xmas dinners but after the holidays watch them drop to 1/2 or less they said on te news there is an abundents of mangos and advcados but the price doent show it

I always shop at Aldi on pension day until several weeks ago it cost me under $200.00 per fortnight for everything I needed as I was buying directly from a farmer for my meat, although I still had to buy more meat to make enough for all the meals. Since the meat & delivery fee went up I switched to buying all my meat & everything else from Aldi I am now lucky if I get away with under $400.00 but when you take the $200.00 away for meat (from the farmer) I suppose it is not so bad. In that, I buy bread & freeze it for the fortnight in my Aldi total along with 15 days of meat.

So how much were the grapes being sold for at other supermarkets? Was this shopper going to die or suffer adversely if she chose not to buy the grapes? Did she have any other options or is this just another useless grumbling session by someone that wastes our time. If Aldi was selling grapes at a higher price than everywhere else l would understand shoppers being a bit miffed.