ALDI customer reveals how a popular grocery store candle exploded

Nowadays, almost everyone owns a candle or two. Whether it's a present or a fancy home décor accessory, candles can do no wrong if used correctly.

But if misused, candles can be hazardous. One ALDI customer recently shared her experience, which has now got us here at the SDC very concerned.

The woman shared a photo of her shattered Purewick Lychee and Pomegranate scented candle and warned other ALDIfans in a Facebook group, 'Don’t let your candles burn too far down, I guess.'

Screenshot 2023-08-02 111706.png
ALDI customer shows the aftermath of the ALDI candle explosion. Credit: Facebook

Fellow ALDI lovers echoed her caution in the comment section, particularly those involved in similar experiences.

'I had a candle in a glass burning in my toilet once on the window sill,' one of them shared. 'The glass exploded, and the blind caught on fire. Lucky I had some friends over who noticed it and we got it under control, otherwise it may have gotten way out of hand. Did a fair bit of damage. Luckily insurance paid for the damage.'

It was understandably a chilling comment, prompting other ALDI customers to provide advice on how to safely use candles: 'You can put end of life (low candles) in a hot water bath then cool and grab the wax from the top and make new candles,' one of them suggested.

'I recently purchased a candle warming lamp, and loved it so much I bought another. Safe and the candle lasts for ages,' another user shared.

We here at the SDC couldn’t agree more. Indeed, as fantastic as candles are, you should not leave them unattended where they can fall or set alight flammable items, such as curtains or upholstery. Also, never allow a candle to burn too far down or too low–reputable brands usually have warning labels on the bottom of their containers–so it pays to be vigilant and read them before using.

candle.jpg
Incidents with candles may be avoided when safety measures are followed. Credit: Anna Shvets/Pexels

Here are some safety tips we can practice to avoid similar incidents:

• When using a candle, always make sure they are on a secure base and never place them near an open window or near flammable liquid containers.
  • Do not forget to extinguish the flame before leaving a room or going to bed.
  • Store matches or lighters in a safe place unreachable to children.
  • Install some smoke alarms and test them regularly.
  • Prepare and rehearse a home fire escape plan in case of emergencies.

As for the particular candle product in question, ALDI’s disclaimer states that you should always use products as recommended on the packaging.

The Purewick Lychee and Pomegranate scented candle advises customers to keep the candle free of all debris to reduce the risk of accidents, never move it while alight, blow gently to extinguish the flame, and allow the candle to cool before handling. It also cautions consumers not to burn the candle for less than an hour or more than three hours at a time, and to stop burning when there is 10mm of wax left at the bottom.

Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI customer warned others about a candle from the store that exploded while burning.
  • Many commented on the post, sharing similar experiences and emphasising the importance of following safety advice when burning candles.
  • Fire and Rescue NSW shared advice on safely burning candles, including never leaving them unattended or near flammable items and extinguishing them before leaving a room or going to bed.
  • ALDI advises customers to use products as recommended on their packaging, including safety directions for burning candles.
Now that you’ve read this warning, members, we trust you'll take extra precautions to ensure your candle usage is compliant with these safety reminders!

Do you have a similar experience with your scented candles? Share them in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
Wow that’s frightening🙀I love smelly candles but they don’t like me or my cat😾make us sneeze and nose run👎

Wow that’s frightening🙀I love smelly candles but they don’t like me or my cat😾make us sneeze and nose run👎
Soy candles are none toxic. They are made from the Soya Bean , all natural.
Obviously you don't burn any candle near open windows or near curtains etc.
100% Soya Bean should be okay however for you and your allergic reaction you might like to try them to see if they are the right ones for you. I would be very
surprised if you had any reaction to the.,
But precede with caution nevertheless.

Soy candles are none toxic. They are made from the Soya Bean , all natural.
Obviously you don't burn any candle near open windows or near curtains etc 100% Soya Bean should be okay however for you and your allergic reaction you might like to try them to see if they are the right ones for you. I would be very surprised if you had any reaction to them But precede with caution nevertheless.