ALDI customer gets scrutinised on social media after lashing out at “rude” staff for not opening a checkout just for her, gets called “entitled”

Queuing at the checkout is part of the grocery shopping experience, not just Down Under, but all over the world.

Aussies are used to queuing and often have a 'queueing mentality'. This means that they are happy to queue as long as they know that they are getting closer to the front of the line.

However, for one American ALDI customer, falling in line at the checkout seemed to be an issue…

An ALDI shopper has faced backlash from social media after she posted her complaints about the "rude" staff that refused to open up another checkout just for her at her local store.

Taking her grumblings to Facebook, the shopper said that she demanded the staff open up another checkout for her as she was queuing up next to a shopper whose items are being scanned.

Kv6hvzShIpSGqhQXVhBPDlNRw383vy607-Wuf_r7yXXOaA7OddgU2JfYXeUGl2P7r0E87XAjbhyn15D_Jzv4-IXN7ylzXwTeYZdXgJjLS25FWqeJ23ojUXuX5AmOVmTKDOpafn4

The ALDI shopper’s Facebook post. Credit: Facebook.

She wrote on a now-deleted post: “I wonder if anyone else finds the staff at ALDI rude?”

“Has anyone ever had to ask to have a register open? I do almost every time I am in that store."

“This afternoon, I had four items to purchase. As usual, there was only one register open."

“The person in front of me had a carriage that was FULL and the cashier had already started to ring her out. It was going to be a while."

“Next to me, a young man was pricing something on the shelf (I think it was IPA beer or soda). At the front of the store was a young girl totally oblivious to the world, spraying and cleaning."

“I finally asked the young man if he could open another register please."

“He looked up at the woman in front of me and the full carriage and full belt of groceries being rung up and after about a 10-second pause (he never even looked at me), he said ‘Oh, it won’t be long.’ And returned to what he was doing!"

“I took those four items and dumped them in the shelf and walked out.”

“If this is the regular policy to treat customers so poorly, then I truly want no part of this store.”

While there is no footage shown along with the post, it can be assumed, based on the details presented by the shopper — who's believed to be from the US — that the staff politely refused her request, given that she was next in line to have her groceries checked out.

yzXIMXlvGhSBxqvsXIUZPWcd3l00nrQrIthpZD-2usV_u633x21FsA81j2VGji-E1xeqCOUUyug-BWeHO4rxZWAP3ffFHASQulEqe7L3SG1LUTSxc1j5A9xqKz5MmdDKWQiizY0

ALDI shoppers pointed out that staff scan the items efficiently, calling the woman “entitled” for not being patient enough to wait in the queue. Credit: Getty Images/Facebook.

The Facebook post has been screen captured by other social media users and shared on other platforms — including Reddit — where they criticised the woman for her "entitled" demands.

It was said that the woman commented on how she was being forced by other ALDI customers — who "scorched" her for her act — to delete the complaint on Facebook before removing the post from her page.

The Reddit user who shared the post said that people have been praising the ALDI staff for handling the situation.

The post read: "In response, people of the town have started making posts praising how awesome the ALDI staff are.”

“She doubled down under one saying, ‘Front end of this store is horrible. I hate this store for so many reasons but why is it that 99 per cent of the time I go to ALDI I have to ask that another register be open."

“First reply is, ‘Didn’t you learn your lesson 49 minutes ago?’”

A number of users pointed out that the woman probably took more time typing out her ‘dilemma’ than waiting in the queue, with others claiming that ALDI workers scan the groceries quickly.

This clip showed how fast ALDI workers are when scanning grocery items. Credit: YouTube/Jerry Corpuz.

One person wrote: “Imagine going to the cheapest place possible and then complaining to not get treated like a princess. And then even going back.”

“But Aldi is quick as hell. They’re timed. And often open a second register if there are more than two to three people in line. If you can get all your s*** on the belt and ‘beat’ the person working the register, you win,” another added.

A third chimed in: “I swear every time I have a cart full of groceries and they’re ringing up the person in front of me I have to speed-load my stuff onto the belt because they’re done in a literal blink.”

“Poor girl, I totally get it! Imagine being SECOND in line. Ugh, just thinking of it makes me want to twist my own head off and eat it. So disgusting,” another quipped.

It is understood that ALDI staff open new registers as required, with the availability of team members and the number of customers being taken into consideration.

Sponsored
What a princess she is!! She obviously doesn't like waiting. I don't mind in the least I get to chat with other people at the checkout. When I am at the checkout if there is someone behind me that only has a couple of items and I don't have my goods on the belt I will let them in before me same if I am just starting to load the belt up, but I get my hackles up when a pushy person with a couple of items asks to go before me especially when I have loaded up....I simply say...I have waited sorry so can you and smile.....

ALDI customer gets scrutinised on social media after lashing out at “rude” staff for not opening a checkout just for her, gets called “entitled”

Queuing at the checkout is part of the grocery shopping experience, not just Down Under, but all over the world.

Aussies are used to queuing and often have a 'queueing mentality'. This means that they are happy to queue as long as they know that they are getting closer to the front of the line.

However, for one American ALDI customer, falling in line at the checkout seemed to be an issue…

An ALDI shopper has faced backlash from social media after she posted her complaints about the "rude" staff that refused to open up another checkout just for her at her local store.

Taking her grumblings to Facebook, the shopper said that she demanded the staff open up another checkout for her as she was queuing up next to a shopper whose items are being scanned.

Kv6hvzShIpSGqhQXVhBPDlNRw383vy607-Wuf_r7yXXOaA7OddgU2JfYXeUGl2P7r0E87XAjbhyn15D_Jzv4-IXN7ylzXwTeYZdXgJjLS25FWqeJ23ojUXuX5AmOVmTKDOpafn4

She wrote on a now-deleted post: “I wonder if anyone else finds the staff at ALDI rude?”

“Has anyone ever had to ask to have a register open? I do almost every time I am in that store."

“This afternoon, I had four items to purchase. As usual, there was only one register open."

“The person in front of me had a carriage that was FULL and the cashier had already started to ring her out. It was going to be a while."

“Next to me, a young man was pricing something on the shelf (I think it was IPA beer or soda). At the front of the store was a young girl totally oblivious to the world, spraying and cleaning."

“He looked up at the woman in front of me and the full carriage and full belt of groceries being rung up and after about a 10-second pause (he never even looked at me), he said ‘Oh, it won’t be long.’ And returned to what he was doing!"

“If this is the regular policy to treat customers so poorly, then I truly want no part of this store.”

While there is no footage shown along with the post, it can be assumed, based on the details presented by the shopper — who's believed to be from the US — that the staff politely refused her request, given that she was next in line to have her groceries checked out.

yzXIMXlvGhSBxqvsXIUZPWcd3l00nrQrIthpZD-2usV_u633x21FsA81j2VGji-E1xeqCOUUyug-BWeHO4rxZWAP3ffFHASQulEqe7L3SG1LUTSxc1j5A9xqKz5MmdDKWQiizY0

ALDI shoppers pointed out that staff scan the items efficiently, calling the woman “entitled” for not being patient enough to wait in the queue. Credit: Getty Images/Facebook.

The Facebook post has been screen captured by other social media users and shared on other platforms — including Reddit — where they criticised the woman for her "entitled" demands.

It was said that the woman commented on how she was being forced by other ALDI customers — who "scorched" her for her act — to delete the complaint on Facebook before removing the post from her page.

The Reddit user who shared the post said that people have been praising the ALDI staff for handling the situation.

The post read: "In response, people of the town have started making posts praising how awesome the ALDI staff are.”

“She doubled down under one saying, ‘Front end of this store is horrible. I hate this store for so many reasons but why is it that 99 per cent of the time I go to ALDI I have to ask that another register be open."

A number of users pointed out that the woman probably took more time typing out her ‘dilemma’ than waiting in the queue, with others claiming that ALDI workers scan the groceries quickly.

This clip showed how fast ALDI workers are when scanning grocery items. Credit: YouTube/Jerry Corpuz.

One person wrote: “Imagine going to the cheapest place possible and then complaining to not get treated like a princess. And then even going back.”

“But Aldi is quick as hell. They’re timed. And often open a second register if there are more than two to three people in line. If you can get all your s*** on the belt and ‘beat’ the person working the register, you win,” another added.

A third chimed in: “I swear every time I have a cart full of groceries and they’re ringing up the person in front of me I have to speed-load my stuff onto the belt because they’re done in a literal blink.”

“Poor girl, I totally get it! Imagine being SECOND in line. Ugh, just thinking of it makes me want to twist my own head off and eat it. So disgusting,” another quipped.

It is understood that ALDI staff open new registers as required, with the availability of team members and the number of customers being taken into consideration.

Never had any issues with Aldi staff, they are ALWAYS polite and courteous.

As a mere male I don't often do the shopping and when I am in our local Aldi store the staff there are always helpful. I've said before in these columns that if a fully loaded trolley is in the process of being uploaded on to the belt and check out has NOT started then I will ask the person if I might go in front for my two or three items. My request has never been refused and the person on the register has a smile to cheer up my day. Once the belt has started then that customer is being served and nobody has the right to interupt the process. As for asking for a new register to be opened just for your few items is crass selfishness and impatiene. Take the opportunity to be wait and stand and dream.

My trouble is that I cant keep up with the Aldi cashiers. They whizz through my purchases almost quicker than I can load them on the belt, then they have finished before I reload my trolley. It's definitely the most hectic part of my shopping experience. HOWEVER, this is no way a criticism of Aldi staff, it just highlights my shortcomings. I have always found all Aldi staff to be polite, courteous and helpful, maybe if you have a problem with them you should try working there.

What a pea-brain. If I’m not happy then I don’t go back. If she has to belly- ache 99% of the time - duh - DONT GO BACK!

Get over yourself karen (apologies to all persons with the name Karen)
thanks my name is Karen and I dont mind waiting inline and I find the staff and most of the people that shop there very nice and you get to meet people you dont see or know and have a chat it dont take that long

The correct response would be ? If we open a checkout just for you there will be a surcharge of 50% on your shopping or you can choose to remain in line and enjoy the low prices that we charge. Please enjoy the rest of your day?

I’ve never asked for register to b opened but I find Aldi customers less likely to let someone go ahead of themselves if u only have a few items and they have cart full. I find other supermarkets customers more obliging and they have self serve and less than 12 items cashiers that Aldi doesn’t. I go to Aldi occasionally but if there r huge queues I just walk out again and go to woolies.

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
I live aprox 100 ks away from an Aldi store I never get out of the store under $250.oo at least, I find it good value & staff lovely & helpfull.

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
I’ve never asked for register to b opened but I find Aldi customers less likely to let someone go ahead of themselves if u only have a few items and they have cart full. I find other supermarkets customers more obliging and they have self serve and less than 12 items cashiers that Aldi doesn’t. I go to Aldi occasionally but if there r huge queues I just walk out again and go to woolies.
I think that must be something peculiar to where you live. I shop often at my local Aldi and have frequently been waved through ahead of someone with a trolley load. I too on many occasions have let someone go ahead of me when they have less than me. It's all a case of give and take.

What a self serving, selfish, picky diva. I've always found the Aldi checkouts very fast indeed. I've also been second or third in line when another register was opened. Is it just me or do a lot of Yanks expect to be treated like superstars.

What a self serving, selfish, picky diva. I've always found the Aldi checkouts very fast indeed. I've also been second or third in line when another register was opened. Is it just me or do a lot of Yanks expect to be treated like superstars.
It is not the fault of the staff on the floor. It happens at all supermarkets. Ask for the Store Manager if you are not happy and don't take it out on the floor staff they can only do what they are told to do.

Aldi is not my favourite store, but when I go there I always find the staff friendly and they are very quick at putting items through the register. If I have only one or two items the person in front of me usually offers to let me go first, as I offer to other shoppers. Perhaps it depends on where one lives. If all the shoppers where this person lives are like her, then shopping would indeed be a nightmare.

Never had any problems with Aldi at all. They are always friendly. I do have an issue with Coles . Several times this has happened so I think it must be policy. Today, as with several other times, I was waiting at the checkout and I was next in line when the operator goes to serve someone wanting cigarettes, served them, then served someone else who just came along, leaving me who had been waiting longer to wait even longer. I wonder why they think it is more important to sell cigarettes than serve people with groceries?