ALDI customer accuses checkout worker of harassing elderly customer who could not pay their grocery bill — “This breaks my heart”

An ALDI shopper has taken to social media to report an alleged "bullying" incident involving a checkout cashier and an elderly customer that she witnessed at a WA store.

Sharing on Facebook, the customer alleged that a cashier behaved disgracefully towards the elderly shopper after the senior could not afford to pay the grocery bill.

"[He] spoke to her like she was an idiot then THREW the items across the counter," the ALDI customer wrote, adding that the worker also allegedly "yelled and belittled" the elderly shopper.

Elsewhere in the post, the customer also claimed that the employee was “derogative and demeaning” to two other elderly customers who were queueing in the line in front of her.

She wrote: “He was then derogative and demeaning [to] the next two elderly gents in front of me, these poor shoppers left the store with their heads hung low clearly very upset from the terrible treatment from this young male."

“When I got to the register, he said smugly ‘Don’t know how she thought $30 could pay for that.’”

Rh9nhNVZHsdZQu-DELQd4-vwsWuy7jwiHgNumI6iMO-qqPoVYRAcFxUZNPA0Y0CLEHcEHVDD101Vd88GwU-VBDH2utRwpTMkdgMNFmyz7ak2MgEE9WJhmKTXoPDvpUyU9K-PaMQ

An ALDI check out cashier has allegedly harassed an elderly shopper, according to a witness. Credit: Matthew Horwood/Getty Images.

It was said that ALDI had received multiple reports from the customer to address the incident before she took to Facebook to share her experience.

She claimed: “I have tried to call the store and head office however, ALDI do not take phone calls and there is nowhere on their website to report this.”

“I would be horrified if my parents were treated like this.”

Facebook users expressed their resentment over the alleged bullying incident, with many saying that they are disturbed by the allegations.

One person wrote: “This breaks my heart.”

“This is terrible, so sorry to hear this still happens,” another added.

A third chimed in: “I wish I had been there. I would have put him back in his place.”

“That’s disgusting, those poor people,” another quipped.

hgQKXtWhaKCdiQRdzi_wvduiU9L1e_Nl4XnpeaDuzMZo4zRsNNPI0gw8J6-HxeCwHesE3WYT4YnYGZx6KXRR7gOv1WPpCWY3nILXQThWf7XyeTSXiqS2G4q_Oc72L5BwEbfRpo0

ALDI said that they are currently investigating the incident. Credit: Getty Images.

An ALDI spokesperson has commented on the matter, saying that the retailer is currently investigating the incident with the customer who witnessed the act.

The spokesperson said: “Threatening or inappropriate behaviour has no place in our stores and we take such allegations seriously.”

“We have spoken directly with this customer regarding their concerns and we are investigating the alleged incident.”

Have you had any bad experiences with the staff at supermarkets, members? In our experience, we’ve found most of them to be quite friendly, so hopefully, this situation is an outlier.

Sponsored
I fear this will happen more often as the value in your shopping basket adds up far quicker than it used to. If you don't keep an eagle eye on it the price can quickly far outstrip what you have in your purse if you are relying on cash transactions. That is one of the reasons that I only shop with a card.:(

That is exactly why I shop online, you know exactly how much you have to spend and when the amount adds up to your alloted spend you go through the checkout. I am afraid I am not an Aldi fan, I haven't found items there that I want or need so usually end up back at Woolies or Coles. They may be a cheap alternative for some things but to treat older people like this, if it is proved, is disgraceful.

Unfortunately it is happening more and more. Saw an article this morning about a local person being treated rudely by an Aldi employee. Although I have not had that experience myself. I have seen a pensioner not being able to pay for all their shopping, so I stepped in and paid. I’d like to think if my mother was in that situation, someone else would help

I not only take a list with me but add the price against each one as I put it in my trolley. I then know how much I have to pay before I get to the checkout. Being an aged pensioner means I have a strict budget amount to keep to but still allows me to "spoil" myself occasionally! I shop in several Aldi stores, as well as Coles, and have always received friendly service in all of them.

ALDI customer accuses checkout worker of harassing elderly customer who could not pay their grocery bill — “This breaks my heart”

An ALDI shopper has taken to social media to report an alleged "bullying" incident involving a checkout cashier and an elderly customer that she witnessed at a WA store.

Sharing on Facebook, the customer alleged that a cashier behaved disgracefully towards the elderly shopper after the senior could not afford to pay the grocery bill.

"[He] spoke to her like she was an idiot then THREW the items across the counter," the ALDI customer wrote, adding that the worker also allegedly "yelled and belittled" the elderly shopper.

Elsewhere in the post, the customer also claimed that the employee was “derogative and demeaning” to two other elderly customers who were queueing in the line in front of her.

She wrote: “He was then derogative and demeaning [to] the next two elderly gents in front of me, these poor shoppers left the store with their heads hung low clearly very upset from the terrible treatment from this young male."

“When I got to the register, he said smugly ‘Don’t know how she thought $30 could pay for that.’”

Rh9nhNVZHsdZQu-DELQd4-vwsWuy7jwiHgNumI6iMO-qqPoVYRAcFxUZNPA0Y0CLEHcEHVDD101Vd88GwU-VBDH2utRwpTMkdgMNFmyz7ak2MgEE9WJhmKTXoPDvpUyU9K-PaMQ

An ALDI check out cashier has allegedly harassed an elderly shopper, according to a witness. Credit: Matthew Horwood/Getty Images.

It was said that ALDI had received multiple reports from the customer to address the incident before she took to Facebook to share her experience.

She claimed: “I have tried to call the store and head office however, ALDI do not take phone calls and there is nowhere on their website to report this.”

Facebook users expressed their resentment over the alleged bullying incident, with many saying that they are disturbed by the allegations.

A third chimed in: “I wish I had been there. I would have put him back in his place.”

hgQKXtWhaKCdiQRdzi_wvduiU9L1e_Nl4XnpeaDuzMZo4zRsNNPI0gw8J6-HxeCwHesE3WYT4YnYGZx6KXRR7gOv1WPpCWY3nILXQThWf7XyeTSXiqS2G4q_Oc72L5BwEbfRpo0

ALDI said that they are currently investigating the incident. Credit: Getty Images.

An ALDI spokesperson has commented on the matter, saying that the retailer is currently investigating the incident with the customer who witnessed the act.

The spokesperson said: “Threatening or inappropriate behaviour has no place in our stores and we take such allegations seriously.”

“We have spoken directly with this customer regarding their concerns and we are investigating the alleged incident.”

Have you had any bad experiences with the staff at supermarkets, members? In our experience, we’ve found most of them to be quite friendly, so hopefully, this situation is an outlier.
This is b

I witnessed similar incident not long after they opened store near me, I no longer shop there
It happened to me the first time I went in. I was rudely spoken to. I've been in maybe 4 or 5 times in total and have been ignored, not spoken to, no greeting, goods thrown, told off I wasn't packing fast enough. I'm in my 60s but I didn't appreciate it. I won't go back.

Didn't I read somewhere that to be able to work on Aldi checkouts you have to be able to scan at an almost impossible set rate with the idea of putting through as many customers as possible in a short amount of time. Staff members unable to maintain this rate are taken off the checkouts. I'm pretty sure I read that in relationship to America but if that's the rule over there it must be similar here.:confused:

Unfortunately it is happening more and more. Saw an article this morning about a local person being treated rudely by an Aldi employee. Although I have not had that experience myself. I have seen a pensioner not being able to pay for all their shopping, so I stepped in and paid. I’d like to think if my mother was in that situation, someone else would help
Yep and they charge you a fee to use your card, also they dont pack your shopping and they dont do online . so i totally refuse to go therethere

Yep and they charge you a fee to use your card, also they dont pack your shopping and they dont do online . so i totally refuse to go therethere
the not packing the bags. Thats fine, I can do that, but was told off on two occasions for putting the goods into bags instead of the trolley to pack over at the bench near the door, as it was holding them up. Hardly - straight into trolley or straight into open bags same time taken.?

Aldi is a discriminatory company I have a disability and a senior, I cannot move fast enough to put my groceries on the check out then I cannot move fast enough at the check out I can't do shopping there at all. Why would a company be sympathetic to older people when they only cater to one type of service

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi

I can only say that the Aldi checkout operators in the stores I go to - Magill Road in Adelaide ae always very friendly and polite.

Reactions: Liz
Instead of not shopping at Aldi anymore, which is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, I would ask for the manager and lodge an official complaint.
You can't blame the shop for the actions of one employee, who deserves to be sacked, but nothing will happen if you don't complain.
I must admit I have only ever had excellent, friendly, polite service at every Aldi store I have been to.
You can meet dropkicks at any store, not just Aldi.

Reactions: Liz
I have found the Aldi operators very friendly and cooperative. I just put one item say of a particular cat food item and tell the operator that I have 10 of these items, for example. It certainly speeds up the process. I was taught to do this by a former employee of Aldi. It is the other customers that irk me, for example I was loading my groceries on the belt on Friday with my support worker and a very nasty man tried to slip his groceries in front of me from behind. I just said "Excuse me sir" and looked at him and he steppped back.

I have found the Aldi operators very friendly and cooperative. I just put one item say of a particular cat food item and tell the operator that I have 10 of these items, for example. It certainly speeds up the process. I was taught to do this by a former employee of Aldi. It is the other customers that irk me, for example I was loading my groceries on the belt on Friday with my support worker and a very nasty man tried to slip his groceries in front of me from behind. I just said "Excuse me sir" and looked at him and he steppped back.
Maybe he only had a couple of items.
When putting my trolley load of groceries on the belt, I always tell anyone with just a few items to go thru ahead of me.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts