ALDI chicken packaging ruffles people’s feathers, sparking heated debate

When it comes to grocery shopping, we all want to bring home the freshest and safest food to our tables, especially when it involves perishable items like meat.

However, a recent incident involving an ALDI shopper has raised eyebrows and sparked a heated debate among thousands of Australians, leaving many to question the safety of their supermarket purchases.

The controversy began when an ALDI customer noticed something peculiar about her packet of fresh chicken breast schnitzels.

Upon arriving home, she observed that the packaging was unusually 'swollen' and took to social media to seek advice.

‘Would you still eat these? I was going to freeze them for later,’ the shopper asked, alongside a photo of the product.

She added that despite the unusual appearance of the packaging, the chicken remained within the designated used-by date.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 084458.jpg
An ALDI shopper ignited discussion by posting about the inflated packaging of a chicken product she bought. Credits: Facebook / Aldi Mums

The post ignited a firestorm of comments, with opinions divided on the safety of consuming the chicken.

‘These packs usually swell up when they have been out of the fridge too long. I’d do a smell check before you freeze them,’ one commenter advised.

‘I wouldn’t do it. It usually means it has been left out of the cold,’ another suggested.

A grocery store employee even said, ‘I would take that back,’ stating that such a product should not be sold if it looked like that.

However, not everyone saw the swollen packaging as a red flag.

A number of commenters shared that they had purchased similar-looking packets and consumed the contents without issue.

‘They are always like that. I have four like that in the fridge right now ready to make for dinner,’ one said.

‘The ones I buy are like that, too. All good, we are still alive,’ another agreed.

A third asserted that the meat packets were ‘meant to look like that’.

In contrast, some individuals suggested that conducting a straightforward ‘smell test’ would promptly indicate whether the chicken was safe for consumption.

The debate took a more serious turn when Sandra Olivier, a Senior Research Microbiologist at Quantal Bioscience with over 20 years of experience, weighed in on the matter.

She warned that food inside swollen packages like the shopper encountered, should not be eaten, regardless of the smell.

‘The appearance and/or smell of any food product cannot always be relied upon to decide if it is potentially unsafe to eat,’ Olivier explained.

‘You should always store food according to the manufacturer's instructions and eat food within the date markings.’

‘However, if you do observe refrigerated packaged food that is uncharacteristically bloated, discard or return it to the store if it is still within the best-before or use-by date,’ she added.

The Australian Chicken Meat Federation (ACMF) echoed this advice, suggesting that consumers concerned about unusual packaging should return the product to the store.

The cause of packaging swelling can vary, from a break in the cold chain during retail handling to groceries being left in a hot car.

However, Olivier highlighted a few factors that could lead to abnormally inflated packaging, advising consumers to take note of them.

‘Firstly, it should be understood that some foods that are sold in flexible packaging may be deliberately filled with gas by the manufacturer and can appear bloated,’ she explained.

This method is referred to as modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) and is frequently employed in food packaging to prolong the shelf life of products.

‘However, uncharacteristically bloated packaged food can be a sign of gas production caused by the product. This is not limited to refrigerated packets of chicken, but can be seen in many types of food in flexible packaging.’

‘In some cases, this gas production could be a result of microbiological activity—the growth of microorganisms in the product,’ she continued.

As debate ensues over this discovery, concerns about the quality and safety of supermarket meat products come to mind.

The contentious discussion surrounding bloated packaging raises questions about the handling and preservation methods employed in the food industry.

It is also related to an earlier story, which delves into the unsettling truths about supermarket meat.

Together, these shed light on the importance of discerning food quality and understanding the implications of packaging anomalies, urging consumers to remain vigilant when purchasing meat products.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper sparked debate after noting the swollen packaging of a chicken product she purchased.
  • Despite being within the use-by date, commenters on social media questioned the safety of the product.
  • Sandra Olivier, a Senior Research Microbiologist, advised that bloated packaging could indicate unsafe food, even if it doesn't smell bad.
  • The Australian Chicken Meat Federation suggested returning any product with unusual packaging to the store.
  • Olivier also stated that some manufacturers use flexible packaging for some food and deliberately fill it with gas to prolong shelf life called modified atmosphere packaging.
Have you ever come across a similar situation with swollen food packaging? What did you do? Join the conversation and let us know in the comments below.

Reactions: Liz and jennyst7
Sponsored
At the moment I have a pet food swollen sachet on my bench waiting for a return call from the pet company. Their was only one swollen packet in 12 but when shaken it sounds like liquid No way would I use swollen packs of food

Reactions: Liz and IAN3005
before freezing it would be a good idea to check if it can be frozen, many manufactured products have already been frozen, look for a mention of thawed for your convience or not suitable for freezing... be careful

A lot of this happens because of morons who put something like this in their trolley and then change their mind and just "pop it out" onto the nearest shelf when they change their mind instead of taking it back to the cool area fridge where they got it, lazy lazy people who don't give a toss.

I never buy the product there the plastic is swollen.
Noticed too that the chicken goes off before the expiry date.

Bought some of these last week - they are OK but the label does state "not suitable to freeze". If it is bubbly packaging, play it safe & ditch it.

IN ADDITION TO MY POST I rang the pet company and vet nurse speaks and says air has got into bubble sachet of pet food to blow it up ( which is pretty logical) they will investigate by use by date to see if happened in their warehouse or when it went to supermarket. Sent me a supermarket voucher cover the cost of full box

Reactions: Liz
I bought some chicken for my cat from Aldi, just didn't like the feel of it. Like rubber and it was for human consumption. Tossed the whole packet away, wasnt' going to risk my cat eating it. I will stick to buying roast chook from Woolies or Coles, might be more expensive but doesnt' look like the Aldi one.

Meat products from most of the Australian Groceries have meat for sale in plastic trays which are decidedly convex.
The reason they are filled with presurised nitrogen. If the package is concave that is a signal not to eat,

Reactions: IAN3005 and Liz
Meat products from most of the Australian Groceries have meat for sale in plastic trays which are decidedly convex.
The reason they are filled with presurised nitrogen. If the package is concave that is a signal not to eat,
That accounts for the spoilage once the pack has been opened.