ALDI announces major change in all of its stores nationwide — “Goodbye octopus arms!”

ALDI has announced a major change in its stores starting Tuesday, 12 April.

ALDI shoppers will now be able to carry their items using baskets thanks to the company’s latest decision to roll out baskets in all of its stores nationwide.

It was said that the German retailer differentiated itself from its competitors, Woolworths and Coles, by encouraging its shoppers to bring their own bags and spare cardboard boxes to carry their groceries instead of offering them baskets.

Customers who failed to bring their own bags were forced to either make use of the supplied coin-operated trolleys or to carry their groceries by hand, popularising the term "octopus arms" amongst its shoppers.

hFwvPcE6HItXZ5hubL1fImEJOZ3fyqetRgvs8rPqnMI0qi1zwU0opkWuzONxAwv4YQ0vILduN1PLU1eVyqAVO4kJEvr-r4LoHW3J5rNwuCxYV6dOJm3p8Rx0hrGrEh5cwD22JA0

ALDI announced the roll out of baskets in its stores nationwide. Credit: Facebook/ALDI.

Announcing the big change on its official Facebook page, an ALDI spokesperson said: "Customers that come into an ALDI store wanting 'just one thing', will know the feeling of wishing they had more hands. We recognise that these customers are looking for greater convenience when they visit our stores, as it's almost impossible not to pick up the excellent value products on offer."

"That's why we're introducing shopping baskets across all our locations, so our customers can more efficiently load up on goodies (on and off their intended lists) while doing smaller grocery shops."

The announcement captured the attention of shoppers, with many urging the company to also include smaller trolleys and express checkouts in the stores' aisles.

One person wrote: "Sounds great, now could we please have some smaller trolleys, short people have to fall into the trolley to get the stuff out at the checkout, I have spoken to head office about this ages ago but didn't get a reply."

"I always see seniors struggling with the big (sic) trollies as well," another added.

A third chimed in: "And about f****** time! I'm sick of pinching boxes to carry my stuff in."

BZAPIycd-C_ktZnv3uvGZwZ5AI9lraN8Hi_yaKKSgS9h9XbsXihUeg1hzUPGVZxy6Oi4rjLBaaVLVpfzElW_j7qOWpxQKEenjI8b1pxhjhkptx_Un1biISz2lvuKntRxW4XVxvo

ALDI’s unique positioning has seen shoppers popularising the term “octopus arms” as many of them opt to hand-carry their groceries while shopping in the retailer’s stores. Credit: Louise Kennerly.

For those of you who are curious whether ALDI took some of the recommendations into consideration, it was confirmed that the retailer is currently in the middle of a limited trial of self-serve checkouts in some stores in NSW.

ALDI is also trialling the "ALDI Corner Store" — a small-store format catering for commuters and riders — and "Pizzabot", a self-serving pizza vending machine.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's high time for ALDI to introduce this major change?

Sponsored
ALDI announces major change in all of its stores nationwide — “Goodbye octopus arms!”

ALDI shoppers will now be able to carry their items using baskets thanks to the company’s latest decision to roll out baskets in all of its stores nationwide.

It was said that the German retailer differentiated itself from its competitors, Woolworths and Coles, by encouraging its shoppers to bring their own bags and spare cardboard boxes to carry their groceries instead of offering them baskets.

Customers who failed to bring their own bags were forced to either make use of the supplied coin-operated trolleys or to carry their groceries by hand, popularising the term "octopus arms" amongst its shoppers.

hFwvPcE6HItXZ5hubL1fImEJOZ3fyqetRgvs8rPqnMI0qi1zwU0opkWuzONxAwv4YQ0vILduN1PLU1eVyqAVO4kJEvr-r4LoHW3J5rNwuCxYV6dOJm3p8Rx0hrGrEh5cwD22JA0

ALDI announced the roll out of baskets in its stores nationwide. Credit: Facebook/ALDI.

Announcing the big change on its official Facebook page, an ALDI spokesperson said: "Customers that come into an ALDI store wanting 'just one thing', will know the feeling of wishing they had more hands. We recognise that these customers are looking for greater convenience when they visit our stores, as it's almost impossible not to pick up the excellent value products on offer."

"That's why we're introducing shopping baskets across all our locations, so our customers can more efficiently load up on goodies (on and off their intended lists) while doing smaller grocery shops."

The announcement captured the attention of shoppers, with many urging the company to also include smaller trolleys and express checkouts in the stores' aisles.

One person wrote: "Sounds great, now could we please have some smaller trolleys, short people have to fall into the trolley to get the stuff out at the checkout, I have spoken to head office about this ages ago but didn't get a reply."

"I always see seniors struggling with the big (sic) trollies as well," another added.

A third chimed in: "And about f****** time! I'm sick of pinching boxes to carry my stuff in."

BZAPIycd-C_ktZnv3uvGZwZ5AI9lraN8Hi_yaKKSgS9h9XbsXihUeg1hzUPGVZxy6Oi4rjLBaaVLVpfzElW_j7qOWpxQKEenjI8b1pxhjhkptx_Un1biISz2lvuKntRxW4XVxvo

ALDI’s unique positioning has seen shoppers popularising the term “octopus arms” as many of them opt to hand-carry their groceries while shopping in the retailer’s stores. Credit: Louise Kennerly.

For those of you who are curious whether ALDI took some of the recommendations into consideration, it was confirmed that the retailer is currently in the middle of a limited trial of self-serve checkouts in some stores in NSW.

ALDI is also trialling the "ALDI Corner Store" — a small-store format catering for commuters and riders — and "Pizzabot", a self-serving pizza vending machine.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's high time for ALDI to introduce this major change?
yes, Aldi should open a

Yes, it is time for Aldi to open up express ways for customers with one or few items rather than waiting a long queue especially for elderly ones. Please be considerate to them.This way it will benefit Aldi too. It is a win-win way.

Reactions: Ricci

Been at our Aldis in Albion Park Rail for a while. Great idea as at times I go for one item and return with more.

I always had back problems after shopping, then realised that it was caused by the big heavy trolleys that Aldi has.
so if I can‘t find another stores trolley ie COLES light trolleys, then I don’t shop at Aldi
Also be aware , women do the majority of grocery shopping, we are smaller and often older, and do not have the upper body strength to wrangle these big trolleys, full of heavy groceries.
do some research, and please remember the ladies.

Reactions: Ricci and sheidow1

our aldi is in the same shopping complex as foodland so i use one of their trolleys. same with 2 other aldi's

Smaller trolleys would be a good thing. In a basket trial at my local Aldi, people walked out with the baskets and didn't return them. Putting a token or coin in the trolley is no big deal. If your return the trolley correctly you can retrieve the coin or token.

Some for me some not but then it is not all about me so be it and for those it suits go for it, as long as they get their demographics right I can't see it not failing.

A lot of whingers in the world isn't there, how do you think they keep the price down, by not putting all of this junk out there, smaller trolleys, baskets, soon you will want them to pack your bags as well and run it out to the car for you and still expect the prices to be lower than the rest.
Wake up!
It's pretty obvious you don't give a toss about other people's predicaments. The fact that they could be elderly, disable or that a big trolley might just be too heavy or near impossible for these people to handle but no, all you're thinking of is yourself and how a few extra cents is going to affect you.. No wonder this is a such a f****d up wprld. Give yourself an undeserved pat pn your back why don't you? WAKE UP yourself!!!

• Wow
A lot of whingers in the world isn't there, how do you think they keep the price down, by not putting all of this junk out there, smaller trolleys, baskets, soon you will want them to pack your bags as well and run it out to the car for you and still expect the prices to be lower than the rest.
Wake up!
Well said. I am now in my mid 60's and also o Gold Card veteran and yes the pain in my back and spine hurts at times, however I am more than happy to shop at ALDI with their big trolleys because they have the cheapest prices because their output us less than others, everyone finds a way to compensate their own aches, pains, handicaps and soreness etc etc, so just be appreciative of WHY YOUR getting cheaper prices. No pain no gain, thanks ALDI

I have an interesting anecdote about Aldi, but before I share it with you I need to make it clear that I don’t like shopping at Aldi for the reasons detailed below.

Unfortunately, I have no choice because I do the shopping for my wife, who is mobility-impaired so she can’t shop personally for her favourite Aldi products.

These are the reasons I don’t like shopping at Aldi:

* There is rarely more than one register open even at peak times, so the wait time to check out can be extremely frustrating.

Aldi are the only supermarket that doesn’t have self-checkouts, so you’ve no choice but to wait.

* When there is a rare PA announcement of a register opening, there is a typical 5-minute wait for the operator to actually get to the register.

I used to rush with others on seeing the displayed register number change from red to green.

However abandoned doing that because I found it better to stay in the now-depleted current queue and let others waste their time waiting for the other register to open.

* There is no service desk

So when you have a product to return, you have wait patiently at the usual single open register; then have a dialogue with the register operator whilst being frowned on by the long queue of waiting customers.

* Register operators do not bag your products.

Aldi obviously reckoned it would improve register operators productivity by not bagging.

However the operator takes the same time in sliding the scanned product towards you as they would in dropping it into a bag.

So the result is that there is no benefit to Aldi, but extra work for the customer.

To keep up with the operator’s scanning, the customer has to frantically throw the products into their trolley; then go to the customer counter to do the bagging: a classic case of double-handling.

And whilst the customer was at the register filling their trolley then paying, the register operator couldn’t serve the next customer in any case, so there is no increase in operator productivity.

* There are no product category signs in the aisles.

There is thus a continual need to find an Aldi staff member to enquire where a particular product is located (if you can find a staff member!)

Now the anecdote.

All Aldi’s products are priced to end in 9c.

Historically in all retail outlets, a $10 product for example would be priced at $9.99.

The philosophy was that naïve customers would regard the price as $9 instead of $10, so thinking they are getting a bargain.

That marketing ploy started in pre-history before credit cards, so the store got it’s 1c back as the customer had to pay $10 in cash.

Now that cash is in the minority, that practice has largely been discontinued because the store is losing 1c per sold item on credit card payments which adds up to a significant sum on the total annual sales.

The exception is Aldi where EVERY product is priced to end in 9c.

So Aldi naively believes that a customer seeing a product priced at 29c will think it’s 20c.

Recently as I was walking down an aisle at Aldi my eyes nearly popped out on seeing a product priced at 75c.

They nearly popped out again on seeing an Aldi staff member further down the aisle; I rubbed my eyes; yes it was an Aldi staff member actually on the sales floor!

“Excuse me” I said, with pointed finger, “There is a price error on a product down the aisle”

“Where about?” he said as he started to walk down the aisle.

We walked together to the shelf with the 75c product.

“Look” I said, pointing to the product “It should be 79c”

“Oh” he exclaimed, “thanks very much for letting us know, I’ll get it fixed straight away!”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: JustPat and Ricci
It's pretty obvious you don't give a toss about other people's predicaments. The fact that they could be elderly, disable or that a big trolley might just be too heavy or near impossible for these people to handle but no, all you're thinking of is yourself and how a few extra cents is going to affect you.. No wonder this is a such a f****d up wprld. Give yourself an undeserved pat pn your back why don't you? WAKE UP yourself!!!
I'm in your category of the not so fortunate but I go there because they affect my standard of living due their cheap prices, I understand your concerns too so just letting you know from my side, sometimes the money I save is more than the predicament I have

The only reason Aldi is putting in shopping baskets is so you will buy more🙄🇦🇺👍

I have an interesting anecdote about Aldi, but before I share it with you I need to make it clear that I don’t like shopping at Aldi for the reasons detailed below.

Unfortunately, I have no choice because I do the shopping for my wife, who is mobility-impaired so she can’t shop personally for her favourite Aldi products.

These are the reasons I don’t like shopping at Aldi:

* There is rarely more than one register open even at peak times, so the wait time to check out can be extremely frustrating.

Aldi are the only supermarket that doesn’t have self-checkouts, so you’ve no choice but to wait.

* When there is a rare PA announcement of a register opening, there is a typical 5-minute wait for the operator to actually get to the register.

I used to rush with others on seeing the displayed register number change from red to green.

However abandoned doing that because I found it better to stay in the now-depleted current queue and let others waste their time waiting for the other register to open.

* There is no service desk

So when you have a product to return, you have wait patiently at the usual single open register; then have a dialogue with the register operator whilst being frowned on by the long queue of waiting customers.

* Register operators do not bag your products.

Aldi obviously reckoned it would improve register operators productivity by not bagging.

However the operator takes the same time in sliding the scanned product towards you as they would in dropping it into a bag.

So the result is that there is no benefit to Aldi, but extra work for the customer.

To keep up with the operator’s scanning, the customer has to frantically throw the products into their trolley; then go to the customer counter to do the bagging: a classic case of double-handling.

And whilst the customer was at the register filling their trolley then paying, the register operator couldn’t serve the next customer in any case, so there is no increase in operator productivity.

* There are no product category signs in the aisles.

There is thus a continual need to find an Aldi staff member to enquire where a particular product is located (if you can find a staff member!)

Now the anecdote.

All Aldi’s products are priced to end in 9c.

Historically in all retail outlets, a $10 product for example would be priced at $9.99.

The philosophy was that naïve customers would regard the price as $9 instead of $10, so thinking they are getting a bargain.

That marketing ploy started in pre-history before credit cards, so the store got it’s 1c back as the customer had to pay $10 in cash.

Now that cash is in the minority, that practice has largely been discontinued because the store is losing 1c per sold item on credit card payments which adds up to a significant sum on the total annual sales.

The exception is Aldi where EVERY product is priced to end in 9c.

So Aldi naively believes that a customer seeing a product priced at 29c will think it’s 20c.

Recently as I was walking down an aisle at Aldi my eyes nearly popped out on seeing a product priced at 75c.

They nearly popped out again on seeing an Aldi staff member further down the aisle; I rubbed my eyes; yes it was an Aldi staff member actually on the sales floor!

“Excuse me” I said, with pointed finger, “There is a price error on a product down the aisle”

“Where about?” he said as he started to walk down the aisle.

We walked together to the shelf with the 75c product.

“Look” I said, pointing to the product “It should be 79c”

“Oh” he exclaimed, “thanks very much for letting us know, I’ll get it fixed straight away!”
SOUNDS LIKE A WOOLWORTH EXECUTIVE . I never have a drama !!!!!!

SOUNDS LIKE A WOOLWORTH EXECUTIVE . I never have a drama !!!!!!
Totally agree kramx I LOVE ALDI 5 aisles can get everything I want to make most of my meals from scratch. Fruit and veg fresher and cheaper. Not problem at the checkout arrange my goods on belt arrange my bags in trolley Cold, frozen ,regular they scan I pack ! NB I am a mature person and not some young chick.