Albanese government's energy initiative promises relief for Aussie households amid rising costs

As the cost of living continues to rise, Australians are constantly on the lookout for ways to tighten their belts and save money where they can.

One of the most significant household expenses is energy, and it's no secret that many of us feel the pinch when the power bill arrives.

However, there's good news on the horizon, as the Albanese government has announced new changes aimed at helping Australians find cheaper energy deals, potentially saving households hundreds of dollars each year.

The initiative, part of a broader effort to tackle the ‘loyalty tax’ that consumers face when they remain with the same energy provider, will require energy retailers to actively assist customers in paying less for their electricity.

This move is a game-changer for those who have felt stuck with high energy costs simply because the process of finding and switching to a better deal was too complex or time-consuming.

compressed-shutterstock_484084630.jpeg
The Albanese government will implement changes funded with $1.8 million from the budget to assist Australians in finding more affordable energy deals. Credits: Shutterstock

Energy Minister Chris Bowen highlighted that $1.8 million from the recent budget will be allocated to fund a new system that simplifies the process of comparing energy prices.

Customers will be able to enter their details on a provider’s website with just ‘one-click’ and be presented with a better offer.

This streamlined approach is designed to empower consumers, making it easier than ever to make informed decisions about their energy consumption and costs.

‘We know households are doing it tough and we don’t want them to be paying one cent more than necessary for their electricity bills,’ Mr Bowen stated.

‘It’s a small but important initiative in the budget because it’s going to have a positive impact on bringing down the cost of living for households over the long term.’

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has previously released data indicating that around two million households are paying more for electricity than necessary.

A staggering one-quarter of customers are missing out on potential savings because they haven't switched to lower-cost plans or taken advantage of new customer deals.

With savings of up to $400 a year on the table, as suggested by the ACCC, the incentive to switch is stronger than ever.

In addition to the one-click system, the government plans to invest further in upgrading the Energy Made Easy website.

This platform will be enhanced to allow consumers to compare offers across multiple providers, ensuring transparency and ease of access to the best deals available.

The anticipation is building as households await the announcement of how much they could be charged for electricity in the next financial year.

Regulators are set to hand down their final decision on default offer prices this Thursday, May 23.

Early indications from a draft report released in March suggested that residents in NSW could see a price drop of 3 per cent from last year, with some Victorian households potentially enjoying reductions of up to 6.4 per cent.

These new prices are expected to take effect in July, marking a new financial year with the promise of more affordable energy for Australian households.

As the Albanese government introduces new measures aimed at assisting Australians in securing more affordable energy deals, attention turns towards initiatives targeting specific demographics, such as Centrelink recipients.

Amidst discussions of broader energy policy changes, the focus on providing financial relief for vulnerable groups like seniors underscores the multifaceted approach required to address the challenges of rising energy costs.
Key Takeaways
  • The Albanese government will introduce changes to help Australians find cheaper energy deals through a new system funded with $1.8 million from the budget.
  • Energy retailers will be required to assist customers in locating and switching to more affordable electricity options.
  • An initiative to combat the so-called ‘loyalty tax’ will allow consumers to enter their details on a provider’s website and find a better offer with ‘one-click’.
  • The ACCC found that around two million households are overpaying for electricity, and these changes could save households up to $400 a year by switching retailers.
Have you had any experiences with switching energy providers? Do you have tips for saving on your energy bill? Share your stories and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
Providing your details "with one click" sounds odd.

The only way that I can see that being possible is if you have a Digital ID with all your energy contract details linked to it.

We first got Solar Hot Water in the 80's. When it came to its use by date (it did pay for itself though) we switched back to electric HW system for a few years until we needed a new heater due to the water in our rural town at the time. We then went back to Solar Hot Water (which is a BIG saving on the electricity bill. During the Julie Gillard era we got 10 Solar Panels and paid very little or nothing for electricity (we had 2 grandchildren living with us at this time) when the subsidy finished, we added another 10 panels as we thought this would make up for that. Unbeknown to us for a couple of years (until we got someone in to clean the panels) the company that installed the 2nd lot of panels disconnected the first 10 panels. So that cost us a new inverter to correct this. It is hard to know if you are getting people who REALLY know what they are doing. Also, I am beginning to think if you are elderly some ppl think they can get away with it. Last year we decided (because we don't trust what Albo is saying & doing) to look into a Solar battery. The salesperson who spoke to us in November made an appointment for the 6th of January to give us time to work out if we would withdraw the whole amount from my husband's already depleted Super or partly and pay it off. January came and went and another salesperson from a different company came and we had decided we were going to withdraw the whole amount as this would save us having a electricity bill (at that time we had only paid $78 during the winter of 2023 and had a credit of $148 as at end of January) We had the Solar Battery installed in February & have had 2 bills ($32 & $21) so hasn't saved us anything - mainly because we are supposed to have an App (neither of us have a mobile phone and you can't get the App on a laptop - the salesperson knew we didn't have mobile phones. Not sure he knew this about the App though) I have sent numerous emails to the new provider (turns out they do NOT give out the phone number to customers) when I get a reply to an email it is to say they are a new company and are short staffed and will get back in 8 -10 working days. Eventually we got the reply about the App and we are supposed to choose when the poser goes to the grid. Last week we found out from the company who installed the battery that yes electricity was going to the grid but not via the provider, so we are not getting paid for it by then, it has been VERY stressful for my husband & I (we are both in our late 70's) I did receive 1 phone call about 3 weeks ago from the provider who kept saying "I understand, I understand " and eventually said "well go back to your previous provider if you can get a better deal". We have even changed our routine to suit the hours they say to use between 10 am - 2 pm. Washing machine & dishwasher doesn't go on until those hrs. We always have our main meal at lunch so that hasn't changed. 2 weeks ago, we had nearly a week of overcast & rain (normally we would have turned the electricity on for the hot water before going to bed so we would have hot water the following day instead we had either cold or just warm showers. This is not good enough. We have already closed our private hospital cover in 2022 to cut costs. There isn't much left in the Super fund (in the 80's we had 3 Family law Court cases - helping our son with Barrister fees and then I was a party to the last 2 cases. This really drained the Super and when you are out of the workforce there is no way to make it up again + we had that market crash in the middle of the court cases. We haven't had a holiday since our 2 weeks for our 50th anniversary in 2022 (which was only 3 hrs away from our residence - the place we went for our honeymoon) Well I have whined enough I suppose LOL

We first got Solar Hot Water in the 80's. When it came to its use by date (it did pay for itself though) we switched back to electric HW system for a few years until we needed a new heater due to the water in our rural town at the time. We then went back to Solar Hot Water (which is a BIG saving on the electricity bill. During the Julie Gillard era we got 10 Solar Panels and paid very little or nothing for electricity (we had 2 grandchildren living with us at this time) when the subsidy finished, we added another 10 panels as we thought this would make up for that. Unbeknown to us for a couple of years (until we got someone in to clean the panels) the company that installed the 2nd lot of panels disconnected the first 10 panels. So that cost us a new inverter to correct this. It is hard to know if you are getting people who REALLY know what they are doing. Also, I am beginning to think if you are elderly some ppl think they can get away with it. Last year we decided (because we don't trust what Albo is saying & doing) to look into a Solar battery. The salesperson who spoke to us in November made an appointment for the 6th of January to give us time to work out if we would withdraw the whole amount from my husband's already depleted Super or partly and pay it off. January came and went and another salesperson from a different company came and we had decided we were going to withdraw the whole amount as this would save us having a electricity bill (at that time we had only paid $78 during the winter of 2023 and had a credit of $148 as at end of January) We had the Solar Battery installed in February & have had 2 bills ($32 & $21) so hasn't saved us anything - mainly because we are supposed to have an App (neither of us have a mobile phone and you can't get the App on a laptop - the salesperson knew we didn't have mobile phones. Not sure he knew this about the App though) I have sent numerous emails to the new provider (turns out they do NOT give out the phone number to customers) when I get a reply to an email it is to say they are a new company and are short staffed and will get back in 8 -10 working days. Eventually we got the reply about the App and we are supposed to choose when the poser goes to the grid. Last week we found out from the company who installed the battery that yes electricity was going to the grid but not via the provider, so we are not getting paid for it by then, it has been VERY stressful for my husband & I (we are both in our late 70's) I did receive 1 phone call about 3 weeks ago from the provider who kept saying "I understand, I understand " and eventually said "well go back to your previous provider if you can get a better deal". We have even changed our routine to suit the hours they say to use between 10 am - 2 pm. Washing machine & dishwasher doesn't go on until those hrs. We always have our main meal at lunch so that hasn't changed. 2 weeks ago, we had nearly a week of overcast & rain (normally we would have turned the electricity on for the hot water before going to bed so we would have hot water the following day instead we had either cold or just warm showers. This is not good enough. We have already closed our private hospital cover in 2022 to cut costs. There isn't much left in the Super fund (in the 80's we had 3 Family law Court cases - helping our son with Barrister fees and then I was a party to the last 2 cases. This really drained the Super and when you are out of the workforce there is no way to make it up again + we had that market crash in the middle of the court cases. We haven't had a holiday since our 2 weeks for our 50th anniversary in 2022 (which was only 3 hrs away from our residence - the place we went for our honeymoon) Well I have whined enough I suppose LOL
bad choice.

Just check out "WATTever". Very informative.
This Albanese guy is just one big joke.Since he came into power houses to buy are out of the question for most people. Rentals are sky high and he has flooded the country with people from foreign countries without vetting them to see if they are criminals . l am not saying there are all bad .Look at all the crime all the people attacked,rapes etc it has never been so bad.He is giving this electric rebate to try and redeem his self.Sooner he is out of power the better.

Reactions: Ann Melling
I have found the article a little confusing.

Do these parts all relate to just looking for a better plan within the same energy provider?

"The initiative, part of a broader effort to tackle the ‘loyalty tax’ that consumers face when they remain with the same energy provider, will require energy retailers to actively assist customers in paying less for their electricity.

This move is a game-changer for those who have felt stuck with high energy costs simply because the process of finding and switching to a better deal was too complex or time-consuming.

Customers will be able to enter their details on a provider’s website with just ‘one-click’ and be presented with a better offer.

Does "better offer" mean better plan with the same provider?

AS this part of the article refers to comparisons across different energy providers.

In addition to the one-click system, the government plans to invest further in upgrading the Energy Made Easy website.

This platform will be enhanced to allow consumers to compare offers across multiple providers, ensuring transparency and ease of access to the best deals available.

If in the first instance the provider has to create a link so one can compare prices with competing providers, then why the expense of doubling up with a separate system doing exactly that as described in the 2nd instance.

I do realise the whole point of this government initiative is to make the process of getting a better deal easier for consumers and that's a good thing.

this is not news. we have been able to change providers when ever we like. as to this being albos idea, please!!!!!!!
the thing is he is using Tax payers money to set up something (that isn't needed) - probably helping a mate

No, it was Morriscum who helped mates and took over most of the portfolios by stealth.
All politicians do favours for mates, but Albo has handed billions to billionaires at a time when the economy is going down hill fast.

No Morrison DID NOT take over MOST of the portfolios, he was given a second position in a handful of them.

He only made one decision as the second minister of a portfolio and the decision he made was correct, as both sides of the house have agreed.

It was a time when we were being warned a Pandemic was likely to disable or kill large numbers of people. Which could have resulted in ministers in critical areas being unable to perform their duties and possibly do the same to the Governor General.

Morrison's primary wrongdoing was not telling his colleagues and the Public what he was doing.

I had six solar panels installed when the 60c

I had six solar panels installed when the 60c credit was available & was in credit until that offer ended. After a while I had an extra 12 panels installed. I decided to pay $50.00 per month & had about $70.00 extra to pay after 3 months. Since the Government has made contributions my quarterly account has been nil. My server has now lowered my monthly payment to $30.00 monthly. I await my next statement. I live alone & am an aged pensioner.

Reactions: Ann Melling
One of the best investments I have ever made was when I installed solar panels it has cut my energy bill to zero.
I first installed 6 panels a few years later I had a extra 6 panels installed given me a 5.8KW system which I have had for several years, they cover my power usage ever since.