TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
AJAX – what does it really mean? Shoppers are shocked to discover the truth!

How familiar are you with the meaning of the products you purchase? Do you ever stop to think about what they are made of and where they come from?

Like the Kentucky Fried Chicken, I'm sure everyone knows it's named after the state it originated from. In comparison, Mr Clean is obviously named to brand itself a cleaner. Another one is Apple, and surely nobody is confused about why it is named Apple. The logo by itself definitely tells us why its name is Apple— the only question we have with Apple, probably, is who bites the apple? No one knows.

IZt7nGCDxZyOqtKJIrNN-Bys4jaRIe64TKr7quUEMFqcqYEuhV-p0zYqgo69hc5N_-3s4SVW6Xx8quuEDiKL5PUYcTgwrcaI68hltu7-mYxlRv-p-jDgBmaHXOviwuhiUUEFNP_54fslErC3Zw

Source: Shutterstock/ Sharifah Aishah

However, some companies are not as forthcoming with the meaning behind their name. AJAX is one of those companies. We see and use it every day, but most of us have no idea what it means. All we know is that Ajax is a household cleaning product used for various purposes, from cleaning glass to polishing table tops.

But what does the name "Ajax" actually mean?

Let's start with its slogan. Does anyone here know what the slogan is? 'The most powerful cleaner?’ 'One wipe cleans it all?’ Spray it 'til you clean it?’ Woah, those slogans are actually not too bad, you might want to start a neat cleaning business with one of those. Feel free to choose any of them because Ajax won't get mad— seeing none of them is their slogan. All wrong!

Ajax goes by the slogan 'Stronger than Grease'. Well, at first, you'd think it's nothing new since you really want your cleaning product at home to be capable of removing grease. But let me give you 10 seconds to think more about it.

Tip: Focus on the word 'Grease'; TIMER STARTS NOW!

a7bp_8rKM13iJHEsiJvv-SvdkI1Y60h_5m4VxtU1zX4VpLCbo3G1hgpmKaZOp3rZ0BZWBuIm1FrHZe_ln_cjlhOL1svhdfyw0o8CwL20LSeeDcuIAAS-4zfv4hUC6paf9e-d4LwI9Y_0gLV1SQ

Source: Dreamstime.com

TIME'S UP!

Just like the other folks… you missed it!

Let's forget about the spelling; listen to how it's pronounced for now. If you're thinking of what I'm thinking of, you're on the same page as me— the word Greece!

Yes, that's right!

APWhv22LL2icNyb7TZFWMVmQwfQLxX7wID4LUcbJcB_j8zW6g49nkqSP0Wk139j1MIN3-vlyIdTjKl6CyrZ5tHP_MNpL7l6QN8pNunqbUfkqUhn2lyfvoVBrp7UhoUFj2VzkVUFU7Fe6htOJSA

Source: Historica Wiki

The name Ajax is actually derived from the Greek mythological hero Ajax. In Homer's Iliad, Ajax was known for his strength and power and is also believed as the strongest in Greece— that's why it's 'Stronger than Grease (Greece) because no one is stronger than him in Greece. The historical reference gives double meaning to the spray and wipe slogan.

How about that, we finished the game with a wordplay? Mind blowing, eh?

So there you have it, the next time you see the product on the shelves, you'll know that it's not just any ordinary cleaner, but one that is 'Stronger than Grease'!

'I'm not sure how I missed that one,' one user wondered, while another added, 'Well played, Ajax.'

A man even joked, 'I guess their target market has always been historians,'.

There you go for not just a mind-blowing game but also a brief history and etymology lesson!

How many of you guys guessed correctly the meaning behind it? Be honest, and let us know in the comment section below!

Learn more about the Greek Mythological hero here:
Ajax the Great : One of the Greek Mythological Hero | Ajax Vs Hector | Trojan war

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
I didn’t guess, but I did know about Ajax. I don’t think it’s all that clever, because if you just look at the slogan without any kn of Ajax the hod, it just doesn’t make sense.ma

Reactions: Ricci
AJAX – what does it really mean? Shoppers are shocked to discover the truth!

How familiar are you with the meaning of the products you purchase? Do you ever stop to think about what they are made of and where they come from?

Like the Kentucky Fried Chicken, I'm sure everyone knows it's named after the state it originated from. In comparison, Mr Clean is obviously named to brand itself a cleaner. Another one is Apple, and surely nobody is confused about why it is named Apple. The logo by itself definitely tells us why its name is Apple— the only question we have with Apple, probably, is who bites the apple? No one knows.

IZt7nGCDxZyOqtKJIrNN-Bys4jaRIe64TKr7quUEMFqcqYEuhV-p0zYqgo69hc5N_-3s4SVW6Xx8quuEDiKL5PUYcTgwrcaI68hltu7-mYxlRv-p-jDgBmaHXOviwuhiUUEFNP_54fslErC3Zw

Source: Shutterstock/ Sharifah Aishah

However, some companies are not as forthcoming with the meaning behind their name. AJAX is one of those companies. We see and use it every day, but most of us have no idea what it means. All we know is that Ajax is a household cleaning product used for various purposes, from cleaning glass to polishing table tops.

But what does the name "Ajax" actually mean?

Let's start with its slogan. Does anyone here know what the slogan is? 'The most powerful cleaner?’ 'One wipe cleans it all?’ Spray it 'til you clean it?’ Woah, those slogans are actually not too bad, you might want to start a neat cleaning business with one of those. Feel free to choose any of them because Ajax won't get mad— seeing none of them is their slogan. All wrong!

Ajax goes by the slogan 'Stronger than Grease'. Well, at first, you'd think it's nothing new since you really want your cleaning product at home to be capable of removing grease. But let me give you 10 seconds to think more about it.

Tip: Focus on the word 'Grease'; TIMER STARTS NOW!

a7bp_8rKM13iJHEsiJvv-SvdkI1Y60h_5m4VxtU1zX4VpLCbo3G1hgpmKaZOp3rZ0BZWBuIm1FrHZe_ln_cjlhOL1svhdfyw0o8CwL20LSeeDcuIAAS-4zfv4hUC6paf9e-d4LwI9Y_0gLV1SQ

Source: Dreamstime.com

TIME'S UP!

Just like the other folks… you missed it!

Let's forget about the spelling; listen to how it's pronounced for now. If you're thinking of what I'm thinking of, you're on the same page as me— the word Greece!

Yes, that's right!

APWhv22LL2icNyb7TZFWMVmQwfQLxX7wID4LUcbJcB_j8zW6g49nkqSP0Wk139j1MIN3-vlyIdTjKl6CyrZ5tHP_MNpL7l6QN8pNunqbUfkqUhn2lyfvoVBrp7UhoUFj2VzkVUFU7Fe6htOJSA

Source: Historica Wiki

The name Ajax is actually derived from the Greek mythological hero Ajax. In Homer's Iliad, Ajax was known for his strength and power and is also believed as the strongest in Greece— that's why it's 'Stronger than Grease (Greece) because no one is stronger than him in Greece. The historical reference gives double meaning to the spray and wipe slogan.

How about that, we finished the game with a wordplay? Mind blowing, eh?

So there you have it, the next time you see the product on the shelves, you'll know that it's not just any ordinary cleaner, but one that is 'Stronger than Grease'!

'I'm not sure how I missed that one,' one user wondered, while another added, 'Well played, Ajax.'

A man even joked, 'I guess their target market has always been historians,'.

There you go for not just a mind-blowing game but also a brief history and etymology lesson!

How many of you guys guessed correctly the meaning behind it? Be honest, and let us know in the comment section below!

Learn more about the Greek Mythological hero here:
Ajax the Great : One of the Greek Mythological Hero | Ajax Vs Hector | Trojan war

I do know one thing about Ajax that has nothing to do with its name and it is as follows. Years ago when Ajax was sprayed on something, the dirt/grease started "sliding off" leaving patches of clean. Today it doesn't have anywhere the same cleaning power that it used to have.

Reactions: Ricci and Dicky