Airline demands $1332 for simple name change request

Have you ever felt like airlines don't value your loyalty and are really just after your hard-earned money? Perhaps you've experienced the frustration of dealing with unhelpful customer service or been shocked by the outrageous fees they charge.

Remember that story about the Qantas ticketing error that left a 61-year-old woman and her family stranded, with a whopping $17,000 bill? Or the frequent flyer who was denied any vegetarian options on his flight, despite being a vegan?

However, this latest incident might just take the cake for being the worst. Get ready to be shocked and outraged, folks — it looks like those other horror stories were just the tip of the iceberg.

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.33.28 AM.png
Daniel asked Jetstar if he could give away their tickets, but trouble struck when the name change fee was revealed. Credit: Instagram/drg_aero.

A passenger named Daniel from Perth had been planning to fly to Adelaide on Monday, March 13, when he suddenly needed to cancel his trip due to his grandmother's passing.

As a result, he wanted to give the tickets away to a friend and needed to change the names on his and his fiancé's tickets and. Seems like a simple request, right?

Well, that's what Daniel thought too until he contacted the airline's customer service for assistance. At first, the representative was helpful, but then came the shocking news – the name change would cost $666 per flight, adding up to a grand total of $1332.

Naturally, Daniel was left reeling after being told what the simple name change request for his and his fiancé's Jetstar flight would cost. Keep in mind, the two round-trip tickets originally cost only $750!

Despite his disbelief, the online assistant confirmed that the price was correct and even explained the process behind the request. Apparently, the airline needed to delete the passenger's name on the booking and all flights associated with it.

After adding the new name, the system would retrieve the current fare price and deduct what was initially paid, resulting in a potential fare difference.

uc4bch5zgama1.png
Daniel was quick to point out that the actual price of two return tickets was only $750. Credit: Reddit.

After being quoted the exorbitant price, Daniel took to Reddit to share his horror. And it seems he struck a nerve, as his post has racked up hundreds of reactions from appalled users.

One user even jokingly pointed out that it would be cheaper for their friends to change their names outright, with the Australian government website quoting a cost of just $185 for the name change.

Another user couldn't help but comment, 'A $666 fee, well, the devil is in the details.' And it seems they're not the only ones who think so. Many others chimed in, calling the airline's actions a 'scam' and accusing them of 'essentially extorting someone because they can'.

In response to the outrage, Jetstar has defended its position, pointing out that its name change fees are clearly outlined in its terms and conditions and are standard practice in the industry.

'Like most airlines, a name change is not included as part of a basic fare,' a spokesperson for Jetstar said. 'Customers with “Starter Fares” who want to transfer their booking to another passenger are required to pay a change of name fee, plus the difference between the original fare paid and the advertised fare at the time of the change request.'

While the policy is meant to prevent people from purchasing cheaper fares with the intention of selling them later at a higher price, customers like Daniel were left feeling unfairly treated.

But it seems that Jetstar may be trying to make amends. In a surprising turn of events, the airline has since stated that it wasn't made aware of Daniel's circumstances when he contacted them.

'However, since learning more, our customer team is reaching out to him to discuss the options under our compassionate policy,' the spokesperson explained.

Key Takeaways

• A passenger was shocked when Jetstar told him it would cost $666 per flight to change the names on their tickets.
  • His story prompted outraged reactions from social media users.
  • Jetstar explained that their name change policy aims to prevent people from purchasing cheaper fares and reselling them at a higher price.

It's always a good idea to be aware of the terms and conditions of your flight ticket, but it's shocking to think that a simple name change could cost nearly twice as much as the original ticket itself. Unfortunately, stories like this are all too common, and many airlines have been accused of using similar tactics to charge exorbitant fees for even the most basic services.

Have you ever been caught out by surprise fees or charges when flying? Share your stories with us in the comments below – let's bring awareness to these predatory practices and hold airlines accountable for treating their customers unfairly.

Sponsored
I can’t believe what the airlines are getting away with today. Friends had to cancel flight to New Zealand 4 weeks prior, she had to have emergency surgery. Qantas would not refund the money! No voucher offered either. Now we all know those seats will be filled so the airline gets double for the seats!

They've got you over a barrel and they know it.:mad:

They say that a squeaky wheel get the most grease so it would appear that jumping up and down and naming and shaming over social media is what is required for them to show even a glimmer of human decency.:(

I would suggest that if it really does cost that much to change a name then the airlines should be seriously looking at their computer programs. You should only have to type it in once, hit enter and all necessary lists are automatically updated.;)

Have you ever felt like airlines don't value your loyalty and are really just after your hard-earned money? Perhaps you've experienced the frustration of dealing with unhelpful customer service or been shocked by the outrageous fees they charge.

Remember that story about the Qantas ticketing error that left a 61-year-old woman and her family stranded, with a whopping $17,000 bill? Or the frequent flyer who was denied any vegetarian options on his flight, despite being a vegan?

However, this latest incident might just take the cake for being the worst. Get ready to be shocked and outraged, folks — it looks like those other horror stories were just the tip of the iceberg.

View attachment 15411
Daniel asked Jetstar if he could give away their tickets, but trouble struck when the name change fee was revealed. Credit: Instagram/drg_aero.

A passenger named Daniel from Perth had been planning to fly to Adelaide on Monday, March 13, when he suddenly needed to cancel his trip due to his grandmother's passing.

As a result, he wanted to give the tickets away to a friend and needed to change the names on his and his fiancé's tickets and. Seems like a simple request, right?

Well, that's what Daniel thought too until he contacted the airline's customer service for assistance. At first, the representative was helpful, but then came the shocking news – the name change would cost $666 per flight, adding up to a grand total of $1332.

Naturally, Daniel was left reeling after being told what the simple name change request for his and his fiancé's Jetstar flight would cost. Keep in mind, the two round-trip tickets originally cost only $750!

Despite his disbelief, the online assistant confirmed that the price was correct and even explained the process behind the request. Apparently, the airline needed to delete the passenger's name on the booking and all flights associated with it.

After adding the new name, the system would retrieve the current fare price and deduct what was initially paid, resulting in a potential fare difference.

View attachment 15412
Daniel was quick to point out that the actual price of two return tickets was only $750. Credit: Reddit.

After being quoted the exorbitant price, Daniel took to Reddit to share his horror. And it seems he struck a nerve, as his post has racked up hundreds of reactions from appalled users.

One user even jokingly pointed out that it would be cheaper for their friends to change their names outright, with the Australian government website quoting a cost of just $185 for the name change.

Another user couldn't help but comment, 'A $666 fee, well, the devil is in the details.' And it seems they're not the only ones who think so. Many others chimed in, calling the airline's actions a 'scam' and accusing them of 'essentially extorting someone because they can'.

In response to the outrage, Jetstar has defended its position, pointing out that its name change fees are clearly outlined in its terms and conditions and are standard practice in the industry.

'Like most airlines, a name change is not included as part of a basic fare,' a spokesperson for Jetstar said. 'Customers with “Starter Fares” who want to transfer their booking to another passenger are required to pay a change of name fee, plus the difference between the original fare paid and the advertised fare at the time of the change request.'

While the policy is meant to prevent people from purchasing cheaper fares with the intention of selling them later at a higher price, customers like Daniel were left feeling unfairly treated.

But it seems that Jetstar may be trying to make amends. In a surprising turn of events, the airline has since stated that it wasn't made aware of Daniel's circumstances when he contacted them.

'However, since learning more, our customer team is reaching out to him to discuss the options under our compassionate policy,' the spokesperson explained.

Key Takeaways

• A passenger was shocked when Jetstar told him it would cost $666 per flight to change the names on their tickets.
  • Jetstar explained that their name change policy aims to prevent people from purchasing cheaper fares and reselling them at a higher price.

It's always a good idea to be aware of the terms and conditions of your flight ticket, but it's shocking to think that a simple name change could cost nearly twice as much as the original ticket itself. Unfortunately, stories like this are all too common, and many airlines have been accused of using similar tactics to charge exorbitant fees for even the most basic services.

Have you ever been caught out by surprise fees or charges when flying? Share your stories with us in the comments below – let's bring awareness to these predatory practices and hold airlines accountable for treating their customers unfairly.

Since it was an inter-state flight there is no need for their friends to prove their identity with a passport so why not just ignore the fact that the tickets were purchased in another name. If asked, just say your name is whatever is shown on the ticket?

View attachment 15411

View attachment 15412

Key Takeaways

Simply boycott the airline there thieving bastards anyhow QANTAS/JETSTAR 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I had booked with Quantas to fly to Canberra for a special birthday surprise, I was only going for ; days because my husband was I’ll with cancer, and a palliative nurse was going to look after him. Unfortunately he died prior to the trip. I was invited to stay in Canberra for a few extra days after the party. When I asked Quantas if I could extend my stay, even though I was on a cheaper option, they agreed to my request and were very compassionate regarding my vulnerability at the time. Thank you Quantas. The results are often handled better when the details regaling your changes required are explained coherently.

• Love
Reactions: Ricci and terri
Agree completely Nannymoore1.

We were booked to travel interstate and had to cancel a week before as we both contracted CoVid. Called travel agent & advised; first response was if we didn’t take out insurance we wouldn’t be covered. So I subtly suggested that we would then travel and probably infect a plane load of people as a result. Jetstar, without any questions, came to the party with a credit to be used in 18 months. I do thank Jetstar most sincerely for this.

If you explain your circumstances properly the airline will most often understand and help. Perhaps, and I don’t know this person’s actual explanation, a request to speak to a higher authority within the airline might have helped with a full explanation of ‘why’ the cancellation had to be made in the first place.

On the other hand it appears, from recent postings on the internet and this site, that Qantas have been in the bad books on these types of issues for quite a while. It’s not right to ‘double dip’ by keeping the fare and then re-selling those seats to someone else. After all it’s not their money to keep, no matter what those lengthy and so called ‘legally’ written contracts and conditions imply in the airlines’ favour, to ‘double dip’ like that. Most of the conditions are lengthy and unable to understand anyhow.

Let a supermarket try and keep from either giving a replacement or returning money and there will be all sorts of action taken including many comments of unsafe things being found in food on which a big issue is made in media which then downgrades the supermarket. The amount of a credit or refund by airlines is the least that can be done to keep their name instead of having it degraded like this. They will sell those seats and not be out of pocket anyhow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
They've got you over a barrel and they know it.:mad:

They say that a squeaky wheel get the most grease so it would appear that jumping up and down and naming and shaming over social media is what is required for them to show even a glimmer of human decency.:(

I would suggest that if it really does cost that much to change a name then the airlines should be seriously looking at their computer programs. You should only have to type it in once, hit enter and all necessary lists are automatically updated.;)
Absolutely, a proper computer program that can deal with this is the way to go, and perhaps a plane customer could also be given the chance to approach the airline, if possible in person, with their new customers, to change the names on those tickets.

I’m glad this particular customer was able to get her money back.
Simply boycott the airline there thieving bastards anyhow QANTAS/JETSTAR 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
No need for abuse!

Reactions: Ricci
I had booked with Quantas to fly to Canberra for a special birthday surprise, I was only going for ; days because my husband was I’ll with cancer, and a palliative nurse was going to look after him. Unfortunately he died prior to the trip. I was invited to stay in Canberra for a few extra days after the party. When I asked Quantas if I could extend my stay, even though I was on a cheaper option, they agreed to my request and were very compassionate regarding my vulnerability at the time. Thank you Quantas. The results are often handled better when the details regaling your changes required are explained coherently.
Glad you had luck with Qantas! I send you my condolences on your loss.

Reactions: Ricci and terri