Xe

Oct 7, 2021
AIBU for throwing a party for my daughters after they were uninvited?

PASS YOUR JUDGEMENT BELOW

My daughters (11/10) both have purple hair. They love it this way and have been getting it dyed since they were 6 (with caution). They were invited to a little girl's birthday/Halloween party under the condition they have their hair dyed a natural color. I asked why and the mother insisted their hair would take away from birthday pictures cause they'd draw attention. I asked if my daughters could just not be in the pictures and she said there's no way to guarantee that and to either dye their hair a "normal" color or they can't come. I said fine (this was like October 8th maybe the 9th) so I decided to throw a party for my daughters on Halloween since they won't be able to go to that one and invited her classmates (the girl was in a completely separate class). We had the party; cake, bounce house, candy piñata and all that cool jazz. The girls had a blast and I posted a few pictures online.

Apparently this was the wrong move cause the little girl's mother saw my post and asked what right I had to steal her daughter's moment from her. Her daughter saw the pictures and was upset she didn't get to come to the party because they didn't have the things we did. Her mother said I was an asshole for one upping her just because my kids couldn't come to their party and that if I really wanted them there I would've just dyed their hair. AIBU?

INFO:The invite was on the 8th as was the hair dye request. A week after we RSVPed in the negative. I planned a Halloween party on the same day , October 31st / Halloween. I did not throw a party on some obscure day that happened to be her birthday for the giggles and the pettys, it was a Halloween party on Halloween.

INFO PT2: That lady is in a completely different tax bracket than me. She had a pony, assorted teas catered and a wagon ride as well. The party I threw was a Frankenstein bounce house my husband had from a few Halloweens ago, a few piñatas from party city and like $120 of candy and about $100 in snacks and some basic carnival games (corn hole,balloon darts, sack race). -for those who where wondering what the difference between the parties were-

I think the other lady is being unreasonable in her request. If she had let her daughters have the party guests regardless of the hair colour, she would have seen that children don't judge a person by hair colour.. Also she is the one issuing the invitations and she shouldn't issue invitations to children who don't conform to her beliefs. The lady replying. is not being unreasonable in holding a party for her daughter in that she is inviting different guests. Children's birthday parties are for them, and should not be a reflection of the unreasonable control of a parent.
I think the the children would judge a party on the fun they had rather than the costs associated with it. The first lady is trying to control things over which ,she has no right of control. .