Xe

Oct 7, 2021
AIBU for giving away my neighbour's avocados?

So this is a bit bizarre.

I have 7 different avocado trees, 3 mango trees, 4 types of peach trees, mulberry, pomegranate, lemon, orange, guava, granadilla, and apricot trees in my yard. I also grow almost every herb and veggie you can think of.

It's only my mom and me in the house, so of course, we welcome anyone to come in the yard and pick fruit and veggies throughout the year should they want/need to.

Now there's one avocado tree that is really close to my neighbour's yard (but doesn't go over her fence). She has been using the avocado trees for free, for years now because she has a catering business (I didn't mind and still don't).

Yesterday, someone came over to ask for avocados carrying two big baskets, I of cause said they're welcome to go pick some and to just close the gate when they're done then I went back to watching my shows. (Avocados are pretty annoying because, during windy times like right now, most ripe ones just end up on the ground and I have to clean them up the next morning, so anyone who comes to pick some avos would actually be helping me)

I thought nothing of it, until this morning when my neighbor came banging down our front door asking me why I gave away her avocados, I was a bit confused so asked her what she means?

She then said she's an avocado supplier for a restaurant a few kilometers away but I ruined it by giving the owners daughter baskets of the avocados and I ruined her business because now because the lady said she'd just come over here to ask for avocados and she would even offer my mom and I money (which we wouldn't accept because my grandma raised my mom and me to never sell free things that are needed in the community).

She blew off at my mom and I then said we really are the witches everyone thinks we are (all because my late grandma was a herbalist and most people try to grow trees, plants, and veggies, etc in our area but never succeed but it's no problem for us).

I feel bad that us giving away fruit might have ruined the neighbour's livelihood (her family really needs every cent) but AIBU for giving away avocados?

Reactions: Nanna@Goulburn
So sorry this happened to you! Yr neighbour is grossly unfair.
I do think she shld hv told you what she was doing w your fruit, as shd the restaurant person hv stated her business use, too.
Between them both, you hv become them smashed Avo, and that is unfair.
Yr neighbour shd hv had a signed business Contract to supply, and not told the restt that you provide free produce. Her own stupidity has cost her.