SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 31.05.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Dog_Dad_1989:

Am I being unreasonable for not letting someone switch seats mid-flight?

'My wife and I were flying back home and were lucky to get a whole row to ourselves when the aisle passenger didn't show up. She took the window seat, and I moved to the aisle seat before we took off.

For the first 4.5 hours, the flight was smooth. The flight attendants were great and even gave us extra drinks, pretending there was someone in the middle seat. Suddenly, a woman from across the aisle came over with her friend, announcing that her friend would take the middle seat to escape a crying baby a few rows back. She didn't ask; she just told us.

I asked if the flight attendants approved this. She said yes, but I called over a flight attendant to confirm. The attendant said they could take an available aisle seat but not disrupt our seating. The woman started complaining that I had originally been assigned the middle seat and moved to the aisle before takeoff, so I shouldn't have it. We'd been sitting there for almost 5 hours, and our stuff was spread out.

The woman and her friend went to talk to another flight attendant for about 5 minutes. When she came back, she yelled at me, saying her friend wouldn't sit there, not because she couldn't, but because I was "so incredibly rude" and called me a 'f*****g a*****e'. I just kept watching my show.

All I did was ask to talk to the flight attendant. I didn't say anything else to her, even though I wanted to. Am I being unreasonable for not volunteering the middle seat mid-flight?'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

I normally have sympathy for people who are stuck near a crying baby.

But given the rudeness of the way you say she approached you, I would have acted the same way.

Particularly if she lied about having asked the cabin staff before she 'demanded' you give in.

No you were not unreasonable at all. The woman was dreadfully rude and to me very intituled. When flying there will be crying babies. Sadly this seems to be the way for some people now. I am intituled, and no need to use bad language just because you don't get your own way. Very childish. She is the one who looks ridiculous.
The one who shouts the loudest is the most defeated.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: Ezzy and janj