SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
AIBU 24.06.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/UnderTheInfluenceeee:

Am I being unreasonable for buying the last cake even though I overheard a child wanted it?

'At my neighbourhood cafe this morning, I was stood in a queue, put on my headphones and enjoyed some music. Two customers were in front of me.'

'I immediately spotted my favourite dessert, salted caramel cake. Believe me when I say that I was ecstatic to see it there because every time I come in, there is never any left. But today, I was lucky enough to make it in time for the last one. There were many other sweets, such as cakes and brownies, for context.'

'A mother and her child entered and lined up behind me. The child was around nine years old. The child was yelling that he wanted the cake that I was eyeing. He would not stop yelling at his mother to get what he wanted, and she promised to get it for him. I lowered the volume of my music so I could listen in on the conversation, but she didn’t know I could hear them.'

'When it was my turn to place an order, I went for salted caramel cake and heard the child inform his mother right away that I stole the last piece. Then, he loses it and throws a fit, kicking and screaming at his mother to get it from me.'

'The child threw me a glare when I turned to leave after paying. After that, his mother accused me of being a bad person for taking the last piece even though I knew he wanted it. She then demanded that I give her the cake because her child wanted it all morning. I said a simple 'No, have a good weekend!', and walked out. Was I being unreasonable?'

How were you to know they did not have another out the back. The restaurant seems to be missing sales if they are always sold out. The mother may have been to the cafe previously and if she knows her child would want it, maybe a call in the morning asking for them to put a piece aside would keep her and child happy

If that happened to me, I would offer the mother my sympathy for her loss of the ability to accept something that is beyond her control.
If she continues to pander to the child, the years to come will be a nightmare. If the child continues to be pandered to, the reality check that comes with adulthood will be a huge culture shock.

Life can serve up harsh lessons sometimes & hopefully mother & child received a valuable lesson from this incident. This woman should not have made a promise to this cretin in the knowledge she may not be able to keep that promise, given that there were numerous people in front of them.

When they entered you had headphones on your head listening to music, though you casually turned the volume down to listen to them, how were you suppose to hear their conversation. Wouldn't this be eavesdropping? Though l am sure with the volume of the child's voice this wasn't needed.

I would have done the same thing in your situation & enjoyed it even more than ever given that l'd missed out on previous visits there.