SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Danielle G.

Danielle G.

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 23, 2024
AIBU 20.09.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/j21yner:

Am I being unreasonable for refusing to pay my neighbours for half the cost of fixing a fence?

'Since we moved in to our house, the fence between us and the neighbours (let's call them Sharon & Will) has been leaning towards their side. Despite no changes since then, Sharon recently demanded it be fixed because they think it'll fall over any day now.'

'Sharon had a landscaper that was already doing a job for them, and she said the he can fix the fence as well. He couldn't speak English so Sharon translated but I didn't really understand what they were going to do. All I got was that they were going to use concrete on the posts. I told them I also knew a builder and I'll get him to have a look.'

'My guy came and thought that it's better to rebuild. He estimated the cost of materials would be about $1k, then we can negotiate labor costs a bit. I told Sharon the next day, and she waved it off, saying her guy could do it for "like $500." He was coming back after the weekend, and so I waited for a proper quote.'

'Over a week later, Sharon texted to say that the work was done, the price was $600, and asked me to send her $300. She never gave me a proper quote. I told her I'm happy to split the costs, but asked for an invoice and a description of the work done.'

'She said that it was a cash job, and "I thought you were my neighbor so you can give the money whenever you're free." I reiterated that because this concerns my property, I need a record of work done and payments, but she again said that because it was a cash-only job, that there won't be an official invoice. I also asked about warranty, and she said it would be 12 months.'

'Later, I had a look at what was actually done. I just saw two temporary wooden posts supporting the fence. The guy probably dug around the problem fence post and poured some concrete around it to fix the fence post in place. It did not look like a $600 job.'

'I ignored her for a week while seeking advice from my local community centre, who said that costs of repairing a fence on a boundary are shared by the properties concerned, and that I am within my rights to ask for proof of work done.'

'I told Sharon that I was very unhappy with how she had gone about things. That if dealing with a neighbor, there is a responsibility to make things proper and keep official records. I told her that I cannot make any payment comfortably until I get that invoice.'

'My main concern is that Sharon might be getting us to pay more. The landscaper was already working on another project for them, so we may just be helping cover their costs. I'm also unhappy with the warranty being only 12 months. Seems way too short for a fence.'

'Lastly, I'm concerned that if Sharon and Will move anytime soon and the fence falls again, then I would have no way of contacting/communicating with the landscaper, or proof that they had done the job in the first place.'

You were not given an opportunity to agree to a price or provider. We had the same problem and did not pay. I informed the fencer that I did not get a quote, did not sign an agreement to
Pay, so he had to seek
Payment from the person that hired him. Never heard another thing.

Actually you are expected by law to share the cost of your fence with your neighbour. I think you should have decided together what was the best way of doing this. It looks like the agreement was not considered thoroughly and so you have a problem if you don’t pay up. Better to do this I think than have bad feeling and possible aggression and consider it a lesson learned. Definitely annoying but not worth developing issues

Reactions: Bullwinkle
Actually you are expected by law to share the cost of your fence with your neighbour. I think you should have decided together what was the best way of doing this. It looks like the agreement was not considered thoroughly and so you have a problem if you don’t pay up. Better to do this I think than have bad feeling and possible aggression and consider it a lesson learned. Definitely annoying but not worth developing issues
Totally agree!! Just pay up

Under the Fencing Act Law you do have to pay 1/2 costs. However you do have the right to a written quote before the job is started. The other owner should have discussed it with you first --not just basically demanded you pay. $1000.00 sounds like an entirely new fence, not just the posts concreted. Ask where their landscaper etc has done other fences. A cheaper negotiated rate doesn't mean the job will be done properly.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
As each one is mentioning, & eluding too, also myself, it looks as though you didn't sort out what had to be done & agree on same, nor, you didn't watch to see what was actually being done. A bit stupid to say the least. Wouldn't you agree ?